Your unpopular ideas

Virgil

13 minutes ago, Augie said:

May you be blessed for your honesty. Most people would keep that buried. 

Ha! It wasn’t even like an off the cuff statement. I was totally convinced about Leaf— I would tell everyone I knew leading up to that draft. It’s amazing to be so spectacularly wrong about something ?

• Haha (+1) 1

The current ownership did not “create the league”. And i stopped reading right there Virgil sorry. That’s completely stupid. The current ownership is a mix of corporate opportunists (including Pegula) and legacy owners (who are, invariably, morons). 

You’re better than that. 

23 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Bill from NYC did a better "A few thoughts about" the game than you....

:nana:

Harsh but true

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, JoPar_v2 said:

The current ownership did not “create the league”. And i stopped reading right there Virgil sorry. That’s completely stupid. The current ownership is a mix of corporate opportunists (including Pegula) and legacy owners (who are, invariably, morons). 

You’re better than that. 

I want to walk a fine line because I don’t want to see this thread get locked, but two things:

1- the league wouldn’t exist without the owners- past, current, or future. They create the league every day they keep it running.

2- don’t step to someone and say “I only read half of your argument, but omg you’re so wrong.” It looks dumb. 

That is all. 

• Like (+1) 4

I think that instead of practice squads, there should be a Minor National Football League with farm teams. Same number of teams, different cities. The following rules would apply:

-- Exact same rule book.

-- Each farm team would be subsidized by an NFL team.

-- No city with an NFL team would be allowed to have a Minor NFL Team. Different cities.

-- If another NFL team wanted to recruit from another's farm team, the owner of the farm team would have the opportunity to match that team's offer.

-- The Minor NFL would have the same length season, offset to some degree -- starting several weeks early, perhaps.

-- The final cut to the final 53 would happen earlier, sending cut players to the Minor NFL, and preseason games would be restructured to accommodate that.

-- The Minor NFL would have something similar to the Super Bowl (called something else, of course) that would play the day after, and in the same city as the Pro Bowl.

• Like (+1) 4

6 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I want to walk a fine line because I don’t want to see this thread get locked, but two things:

1- the league wouldn’t exist without the owners- past, current, or future. They create the league every day they keep it running.

2- don’t step to someone and say “I only read half of your argument, but omg you’re so wrong.” It looks dumb. 

That is all. 

You DO walk a fine line, rational and temporal. Claiming that a sporting league established 100 years in the past would not exist but for past, present and future theoretical billionaires. You sound like a corporate bootlicker. The league would have NEVER existed without the enthusiasts that actually PLAYED the game.

i read your whole retort, and it was as dumb as it was when i read half of it.

EDIT: i forgot: That is all

Edited by JoPar_v2

Just now, JoPar_v2 said:

You DO walk a fine line, rational and temporal. Claiming that a sporting league established 100 years in the past would not exist but for past, present and future theoretical billionaires. You sound like a corporate bootlicker. The league would have NEVER existed without the enthusiasts that actually PLAYED the game.

i read your whole retort, and it was as dumb as it was when i read half of it.

Go tell your boss tomorrow that his business wouldn’t exist without you and you demand a raise. 

Wait... go get a job, then try it.

peace. ;)

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, whatdrought said:

Go tell your boss tomorrow that his business wouldn’t exist without you and you demand a raise. 

Wait... go get a job, then try it.

peace. ;)

Bootlicker: confirmed. And assuming such things! You’re a keeper. Keep digging that hole.

10 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

The bolded is becoming an increasingly popular opinion in America.

Not only is it wrong and poorly considered, but it's really bad for the future of this country that so many think this way.

The factors that make people think this way need to be addressed and soon.

I don’t know how to reinforce this without coming off as pompous. We are encouraging our son, already VERY well educated with a designation, to go to the next level. He just started another program that will be at least 2 years. It MATTERS in the higher levels. The people my wife works with and for all have multiple degrees from Duke/Harvard/UVA Law (commencement speaker!), etc. These people can write their own ticket. 

There is NOTHING wrong with a welder or plumbing career. Please do what makes you happy in life. I dumped banking for real estate appraising. It made me HAPPY! Nothing better than THAT! Happy every day!

But if you have the opportunity, the means, the drive, the work ethic, more options are available to you if you continue your education. 

• Like (+1) 5

6 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I have more confidence in McDermott as a HC than I do in Beane as a GM. 

At first I disagreed with this completely... and then with thought I disagreed with it less.. and now I think I agree with it as much, or maybe a bit more than I disagree... my issue is that it seems almost impossible to separate them from each other...

1 hour ago, Augie said:

But admit it, it doesn’t go over well around these parts. Just because....

That is true.  If I remember a comprehensive OTW thread, half of TBD says she looks like a dude (80% of those individuals clarified that she looks like a dude that they would NOT sleep with) and one third of TBD wouldn't even consider Kate "fatty fatty pig face" Upton if she showed up on their door step covered with whipped cream. 

I've put together a profile of the average TBDer and he is a 6'4" fitness model with a 7 figure salary that is overwhelmed with attention from celebs and models and has to be more choosy.  Then theres me and @Gugny....

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

At first I disagreed with this completely... and then with thought I disagreed with it less.. and now I think I agree with it as much, or maybe a bit more than I disagree... my issue is that it seems almost impossible to separate them from each other...

Yeah. I get it. I think there's more hope with Beane than results. If Allen, Edmunds, and Oliver all pan out, he's going to look like a genius. His FA acquisitions have been less than ideal(to this point.) The reason I have to give McDermott the edge is because he's actually produced tangible results. He got 9 wins out of a 6 win roster and 6 wins out of a 3 win roster. I'm not sure if he's capable of being great, but he's proven to be good. I guess you could say Beane has "upside." Everyone loves upside.

10 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

That is true.  If I remember a comprehensive OTW thread, half of TBD says she looks like a dude (80% of those individuals clarified that she looks like a dude that they would NOT sleep with) and one third of TBD wouldn't even consider Kate "fatty fatty pig face" Upton if she showed up on their door step covered with whipped cream. 

I've put together a profile of the average TBDer and he is a 6'4" fitness model with a 7 figure salary that is overwhelmed with attention from celebs and models and has to be more choosy.  Then theres me and @Gugny....

By my math....93% of these posters never leave their parents basements. Math isn’t my thing. Am I close? 

I’ve been to Hammers Lot. The “average” TBDer does not exist. Nowhere in sight! Other than myself, of course.  ?

1. Marv Levy does not belong in HOF. He was worse than Brandon as a GM

2. Talley does not belong on Wall

3. I love Thurman, but OJ is still the best RB in Bills history. Bruce Smith is greatest Bill ever

4. If Bills played in NFC, the SuperBowl teams would have been lucky to make one

5. Kaepernick is better than 28 of the 32 backup QBs and probably better than three starters - Fitz, Eli(at this point in career), and Keenum

6. Tom Flores and Don Coryell belong in the HOF. Tasker and Hull do not. 

7.  Dick Jauron was better than most people think. Team played hard for him, rarely were blown out like the current HC is on a frequent basis, often had his team in a position to compete, and was handicapped as much as any HC by lack of talent at QB.  What cost him was playing not to lose down the stretch of games instead of going for the knockout.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

1. Marv Levy does not belong in HOF. He was worse than Brandon as a GM

2. Talley does not belong on Wall

3. I love Thurman, but OJ is still the best RB in Bills history. Bruce Smith is greatest Bill ever

4. If Bills played in NFC, the SuperBowl teams would have been lucky to make one

5. Kaepernick is better than 28 of the 32 backup QBs and probably better than three starters - Fitz, Eli(at this point in career), and Keenum

6. Tom Flores and Don Coryell belong in the HOF. Tasker and Hull do not. 

7.  Dick Jauron was better than most people think. Team played hard for him, rarely were blown out like the current HC is on a frequent basis, often had his team in a position to compete, and was handicapped as much as any HC by lack of talent at QB.  What cost him was playing not to lose down the stretch of games instead of going for the knockout.

Damn you came with it. Great job

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Bad Things said:

You're a fool.

What else is new. ?

I'm sure you'll find many people that agree with me and many that will agree with you.

He was a motivator and his players loved him, but we weren't winning a SB with Marv at the helm. All Pro talent everywhere and got outcoached every SB.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

The Bills offense will barely be average this year.

Sean McDermott is not an innovative coach, but is adept at convincing people he is.  

Good one. He is like many people I work with who can recite Lean and the Toyota Production System principles. Sounds great. Continuous improvement. Get better each day. Error proof. It makes sense. Until you realize players aren't machines and that some teams just have more talent.  

• Like (+1) 1

- Doug Whaley is unjustly crucified for putting together a solid roster in a short period of time with zero help from his predecessors or any of the coaches he was forced to live with. Never got to pick his QB or his coach but still had a playoff caliber team that those guys squandered.

- Jim Kelly is a little overrated as a QB by Buffalonians. Great Hall of Fame player, fantastic story and a wonderful ambassador for the region. Just not quite the player some people put him at.

- Bill Polian is grossly overrated as a GM

- If NFL players can't handle the risk of concussions or other serious injury,  they should have stuck to baseball.

- The Pegulas saved Buffalo sports with their money, but have ruined them with their management.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Marv Levy sucked as a HC and sucked even harder as a GM.

His best qualities were motivation and his ability to harness different ego's into a single team/family atmosphere.  He was pry one of the only coaches that could've taken that team to four straight SB's.  There were better x's and o's coaches out there and we may have won a SB or two, but we wouldn't of made four straight without Levy steering the ship.

Yes.  He did suck as a GM. 

2 hours ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Sills V could be the next Thielen

Wow. What have you seen from David Sills that would lead you to THAT conclusion?

He was great at WVU, but it does not seem he has done much in TC or PS games. 

Folks say he has skinny legs (wasn't that Shane Conlan's deal too?), needs to get stronger.

Practice squad would be good for him.

• Sad 1

38 minutes ago, rayray808 said:

Mahomes is not that good, he is just on an insane offense - he is like the "James Connor" of QB's who took over after Bell got hurt 

The Pats will officially bottom out this year

I’m with you on the Pats. This is the year the wheels fall off. Gronk was such a huge part of that team in run and pass game.

30 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

How could anyone disagree with any of that?

You can make a case for OJ being best Bill of all time. And conversely you can make an argument that Thurman was the better all around RB. Those are defensible positions. I think Bruce’s dominance and athleticism is on par with OJ and he is almost always in top 2 DE of all time with White. Many could make an argument OJ is not in top 5 RBs.  I put him fourth behind Jim Brown, Barry Sanders, and Walter Payton and just ahead of Emmitt Smith and Ladanian Tomlinson.  But others may have OJ behind Smith and Tomlinson. 

59 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

What else is new. ?

I'm sure you'll find many people that agree with me and many that will agree with you.

He was a motivator and his players loved him, but we weren't winning a SB with Marv at the helm. All Pro talent everywhere and got outcoached every SB.

I get what you're saying here, but to say "Marv Levy sucked as a HC" is an extreme exaggeration and a foolish statement.

There are only 22 Head Coaches in the NFL Hall of Fame.  Marv is one of them. 

4 hours ago, Virgil said:

-Shady isn’t “done”.  But he’s no longer a top 15 back.  If he and singletary had the same carries this season, I don’t think the output would be different. Shady doesn’t make guys miss like before and just isn’t a difference maker.  I think a top 5 RB could get 1500 yards in this new offense.   Shady takes what he gets now. 

I couldn't disagree more with you on this. I don't think Shady is a top 5 back anymore but he is still in that top 15 and he is still clearly the best back on the Bills. 

In fact one of my "unpopular opinions" would be that I don't think Devin Singletary will ever be a true RB1 in the NFL. Gio Bernard has always been my comparison. Nice player, good change of pace guy but not a number 1. 

2 minutes ago, Bad Things said:

I get what you're saying here, but to say "Marv Levy sucked as a HC" is an extreme exaggeration and a foolish statement.

There are only 22 Head Coaches in the NFL Hall of Fame.  Marv is one of them. 

Marv's "treat them like men" philosophy let the players stay out all night BEFORE the Super Bowls.  That was not very wise. That is what ticked me off about Marv as a HC.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Saying that one of the highest earning super models of all time is "good looking" takes a lot of guts.  I'm proud of you!

In that case, my unpopular take is that she looks like a skinnier, more horse faced version of Sarah Jessica Parker. 

NFL should dump instant replay review altogether.

Bills should have started Flutie vs Titans and kept him over RJ.

bills should not build a new stadium until Green Bay, Chicago, and KC do. Maybe not even then.

count me in in the red helmet minority.

• Like (+1) 1