Your unpopular ideas

Virgil

3 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

another of my minority opinions perhaps, but the game was better before free agency..

It was certainly easier to build teams...simply draft enough good players and keep them as long as you wanted.

I believe owners should be appreciated, since there are many investments that are more profitable than owning an NFL team.

I believe there is too much trading in the NFL. The roster can change completely over about three years. That detracts from the ability to cheer for a team, you’re basically cheering for a logo.

I have mixed feelings about fantasy football. It’s fun, but it completely changes the game day experience. People are checking their web sources to find out how their fantasy team is doing, and not living in the moment with their “favorite” team.

I give TB12 credit, he is willing to take less money personally so that the team can be better. When he gets mad at his offensive line, at some level he could be thinking that he is partially responsible for their big salaries, and that makes his frustration a little more personal and understandable. It doesn’t hurt that his wife is also super rich. 

I believe football will suffer from a loss in popularity in the next few years, based on the seriousness of brain injuries and the loss in popularity at the high school level.  NASCAR is an example of a “sport” that lost popularity as its fan base changed or got old.  Constantly tweaking the rules doesn’t help. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I think the kicking game should be eliminated.

I'd get rid of PATs totally. I'm fine with punting and FGs but PATs are not working to my mind. I'd just give people 7 points for a TD. If you really want to keep the 2 pointer option available then I'd have a 1 point try to get it into the endzone from the 2 yard line as you do now for a 2 pointer and a 2 point try you have to get it in from the 5 or something. 

2 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

When will the Bills just get rid of Shady? How long must they hold on? If he has any trade value they should move along from a replaceable, 9 million dollar, old, perhaps brittle running back before he falls apart and is worthless.

When they have someone better. And they don't. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

1. Marv Levy does not belong in HOF. He was worse than Brandon as a GM

2. Talley does not belong on Wall

3. I love Thurman, but OJ is still the best RB in Bills history. Bruce Smith is greatest Bill ever

4. If Bills played in NFC, the SuperBowl teams would have been lucky to make one

5. Kaepernick is better than 28 of the 32 backup QBs and probably better than three starters - Fitz, Eli(at this point in career), and Keenum

6. Tom Flores and Don Coryell belong in the HOF. Tasker and Hull do not. 

7.  Dick Jauron was better than most people think. Team played hard for him, rarely were blown out like the current HC is on a frequent basis, often had his team in a position to compete, and was handicapped as much as any HC by lack of talent at QB.  What cost him was playing not to lose down the stretch of games instead of going for the knockout.

Thank you for a brave post. I vehemently disagree with 4,5, and especially 7 but I got your back every day on #1.

My "unpopular" takes are:

- the International Series is good for the game and a London team would be in the long term too;

- the game is not poorer for being safer;

- I have no problem with the players using their platform to take a stand on social issues.

• Like (+1) 2

My idea was that Andrew Luck had not and would not live up to the overhyped expectations of him.  Although based in logic and facts, this idea proved to be quite unpopular.  It has now proven true.

Despite this truth, it will probably remain unpopular.  Cults gonna cult.

I have another popular idea on this board but it is unrelated to football.  

My current take on the Bills is that they will be a 11 or 12 win team.  Although unusual, I doubt it would be unpopular.

8 hours ago, Augie said:

Not whatever they want, but I certainly lean toward the owner’s side. I am not fond of those who think the employees have all the rights. If you’re so good, go find a better deal, or a better job. Like a house, you are only worth what someone will pay for you. 

You do understand that there isn’t a true open market for NFL players, right?  

What “rights” do you think the players have asserted that they don’t deserve?

6 hours ago, OJ Tom said:

Steve Tasker is overrated.

You're talking about him as a player, correct? Because the threads about him as radio host are none to flattering. If you're talking about him on radio I would say he's underrated, kind of like his show.

11 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

When will the Bills just get rid of Shady? How long must they hold on? If he has any trade value they should move along from a replaceable, 9 million dollar, old, perhaps brittle running back before he falls apart and is worthless.

This is where I am. Seems like a good team mate, but is really a shell of his young self. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

I believe owners should be appreciated, since there are many investments that are more profitable than owning an NFL team.

Ok, name a few.

Ralph Wilson bought the Bills for what, $50,000?  I’ll grant you that buying a team today, at current prices, is risky, but these guys have had a license to print money for a long time.

6 hours ago, freddyjj said:

Rob Johnson over Flutie 

It took me longer than it should have to let go of Rob Johnson. I was flat out mesmerized by his skillset. 

He was big, could run like a deer, had a great arm, and was very accurate.

The only thing that he didn't do well was play football. :(

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Nice! I was bracing for an attack. :D

Well I’m not gonna attack you but let’s not pretend like it’s been years of futility for McCoy. He had a bad year in an awful offense behind and awful line. 

8 months prior to that he was arguably the best player on the field down in Jax in a playoff matchup. 

It’s not like they been dragging the guy along for YEARS. Come on man 

23 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

But we are not 100% sure of this, ya know; especially if his old ass is sitting on the bench injured.

But he isn't injured. In fact he has missed very few games injured since his first year. He has missed 3 games in the last 3 years which is pretty good going for any running back. 

8 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

He shouldn't be. Outside of Bruce, I don't believe ANY of those guys should be in the HoF.

Maybe Andre Reed's HOF worthiness is debatable but who else would you rather have catching passes over the middle? RAC

Edited by bmur66

2 minutes ago, bmur66 said:

Maybe Andre Reed's HOF worthiness is debatable but who else would you rather have catching passes over the middle? RAC

Just sticking to his era?

Jerry Rice. Steve Largent. Cris Carter, to name a few

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, mannc said:

Ok, name a few.

Ralph Wilson bought the Bills for what, $50,000?  I’ll grant you that buying a team today, at current prices, is risky, but these guys have had a license to print money for a long time.

I meant buying a team today, at current prices. 

Maybe I'm wrong, but if the Pegulas, for example, end up building a new stadium, then that will be an expensive undertaking. Even if they get subsidized by taxpayer money, It will take a long time to recoup that investment.  I also look at the money thrown away on Rex Ryan, etc.  Many of us thought that was a dumb decision in the first place, but it was also an expensive decision.  Maybe billionaires don’t worry about a few million dollars, but I doubt it.  It’s things like that that make me think buying a team today is done for the enjoyment, not for the profit.

9 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Marv Levy sucked as a HC and sucked even harder as a GM.

9 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

The second part is unanimous 

Levy had the title "GM" but he really didn't function as one.  Even at the time, commentators noted that he really didn't do anything.  Brandon and Jauron actually made the infamous personnel mistakes the Bills made in 2006 and 2007.  When Levy retired, he wasn't replaced for 2 seasons -- until after Jauron was fired.

The NFL is getting increasingly more boring. I still enjoy watching the Bills but outside of that i struggle to make it through full games. Too many stupid rules/penalties, commercials, and injuries. Maybe im just getting cynical in my old age.

oh and bad announcers ok im done being negative. i love watching and following the  Bills tho. Double edged sword

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Nice! I was bracing for an attack. :D

Haha— I am sure you will get it from someone. To be honest, And this is more extreme, I haven’t thought Shady Has been productive for us at all in any of his years here (and least moreso than any other RB would have been). Some of that may be the line, but a lot of it is his style and his age. I am sure someone will disprove me with “stats” or some similar nonsense. ?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Haha— I am sure you will get it from someone. To be honest, And this is more extreme, I haven’t thought Shady Has been productive for us at all in any of his years here (and least moreso than any other RB would have been). Some of that may be the line, but a lot of it is his style and his age. I am sure someone will disprove me with “stats” or some similar nonsense. ?

That person won't be me.

I've been saying he looks like he's lost a step since early last year. I'd have cut him this offseason.

6 hours ago, M. Wrotto said:

Darryl Talley was more of an impact player than Biscuit.

Interesting take, decided to look at their impact plays. Both had 14 year careers. For the regular season, Biscuit had 71-1/2 sacks, 31 forced fumbles, 27 fumble recoveries, and 7 interceptions.  Talley had 38-1/2 sacks, 17 forced fumbles, 14 fumble recoveries, and 12 interceptions. Those numbers clearly favor Biscuit. Doesn't look like tackles for loss stats were kept during Talley's career, only the last two in Biscuit's.

In the playoffs, in 21 games Biscuit had 1-1/2 sacks, no int', forced fumbles or fumble recoveries. Talley played in 18 playoff games, had 6-1/2 sacks and 2 int's. He also had 2 fumble recoveries.

So, for the regular season Biscuit was more of an impact player, but for the biggest games you are correct, Talley had a bigger impact.

6 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

The year with Roman was pretty impressive.  I think it took brains to know when to cut and hit the variety of gaps created.  

So for just that year, I disagree