The day the Sabres’ futility and New Era Stadium collided...

10 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

?

They came across as the same as they always do. Good people who want to win and to make the people of Buffalo proud, but absolutely clueless.

I mean it's nice for an owner, 10 years into his ownership, to at least acknowledge it's time to start winning....but he could also acknowledge they were a winning team before he bought them.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

He sounds like a bumbling moron.... he pointed to the 10 game win streak as a tie for most in franchise history..... who the ***** cares you lost 16 of your last 57.?

I'm no hockey fan, but losing 16/57 means they won 72% of their last 57 games.  Is that bad?

• Haha (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

I'm no hockey fan, but losing 16/57 means they won 72% of their last 57 games.  Is that bad?

They won 33 games......ScottLaw meant, I believe, they won only 16 of the last 57.  They won 5 of their last 26.

• Thank you (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

?

They came across as the same as they always do. Good people who want to win and to make the people of Buffalo proud, but absolutely clueless.

Selling the team is WEOs wet dream because it would mean both teams leaving town. 

To me I don't really care if owners have a clue about football or hockey. Their job is to provide money. They need to surround themselves with people who DO know what they are doing and can advise in all hockey/football related decisions.

I think you hear a lot of dumb stuff come out of the mouth of owners from lots of sports. Their job isn't to know the sport, it's to write the checks.

PS: I'm pretty sure there is nothing he could say to impress Sabres fans. Nothing he could say would distract from the failures on the ice.

Edited by MJS
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

If winning it all is the yardstick of success then there are 31 failures every season. Unless you live in New England, how does anyone deal with the yearly letdowns? I wonder if Milwaukee Bucks fans, or Pittsburgh Pirate fans, or fans of any team that has had limited success act the way we do?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Selling the team is WEOs wet dream because it would mean both teams leaving town. 

You'll never give up on "The Bills Could Move At Any Time" conspiracy, will you?

I'm on record as saying they were not going to be moved.  So your post above is, as usual, informed by sentiment, not fact.

Carry on the torch...

13 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

If winning it all is the yardstick of success then there are 31 failures every season. Unless you live in New England, how does anyone deal with the yearly letdowns? I wonder if Milwaukee Bucks fans, or Pittsburgh Pirate fans, or fans of any team that has had limited success act the way we do?

Comparing one of the best teams in the NBA with one of the worst NFL teams over a decade......it really doesn't make the point you're struggling to make.

All fan bases "behave" in a similar way when their team chronically stinks. How can this escape you?  You're an inveterate fan basher.  That's your thing.

1 hour ago, MJS said:

To me I don't really care if owners have a clue about football or hockey. Their job is to provide money. They need to surround themselves with people who DO know what they are doing and can advise in all hockey/football related decisions.

I think you hear a lot of dumb stuff come out of the mouth of owners from lots of sports. Their job isn't to know the sport, it's to write the checks.

PS: I'm pretty sure there is nothing he could say to impress Sabres fans. Nothing he could say would distract from the failures on the ice.

If only it were that simple.

Pegula "surrounding himself with people who do know what they are doing" is called hiring.

Pegula does the hiring.  Pegula is clueless.  So he tends to surround himself with people who do not know what they are doing.

No owner has ever needed a Czar to do the hiring more than Pegula.

We need a layer between ownership and coach/GM that is not present in the organizations now.

How did the Sabres win under Golisano?  He knew absolutely nothing about hockey or sports management, spent as little as he could on them, and yet the team was successful under him. 

3 hours ago, gjv001 said:

If the Pegulas didn't own the Sabres would the team not move to a more lucrative market?

Is there really a bigger open hockey market? We’re right on the Canadian border, a lot of players and coaches retire to this area. There’s a lot of hockey fans and they spend money.  There may be markets with larger populations but what is the interest in hockey?

3 hours ago, gjv001 said:

If the Pegulas didn't own the Sabres would the team not move to a more lucrative market?

I assume that if the Pegulas had not offered to buy the team from Golisano, Golisano would still own it.  The Bills OTOH...

3 hours ago, MJS said:

I agree with you.  Pegulas don't have exclusive rights on dumb comments by an owner.  I lived in Indianapolis for a while and I believe Irsay may be the gold standard in dumb owner commentary and behavior.  We should all be thankful that Buffalo isn't dealing with something like that.

31 minutes ago, Doc said:

How did the Sabres win under Golisano?  He knew absolutely nothing about hockey or sports management, spent as little as he could on them, and yet the team was successful under him. 

....was not his focus.....he is a buy low sell high investment guy...bought the Sabres for $92 mil in bankruptcy and sold them to Pegula for $189 mil.....a quick $100 mil gain.....would NEVER question the man's philanthropic giving heart, donating mega millions to to multiple worthy causes.....but those that know him well will tell you he loves the spotlight....saying rescuing the Sabres was a perfect fit............

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....was not his focus.....he is a buy low sell high investment guy...bought the Sabres for $92 mil in bankruptcy and sold them to Pegula for $189 mil.....a quick $100 mil gain.....would NEVER question the man's philanthropic giving heart, donating mega millions to to multiple worthy causes.....but those that know him well will tell you he loves the spotlight....saying rescuing the Sabres was a perfect fit............

I’m fine with that. I’m just saying that he knew and spent far less than Pegula and yet the Sabres were far more successful. How did that happen?  

30 minutes ago, Doc said:

I’m fine with that. I’m just saying that he knew and spent far less than Pegula and yet the Sabres were far more successful. How did that happen?  

Golisano didn't have chickenheads running the team..

7 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

I mean it's nice for an owner, 10 years into his ownership, to at least acknowledge it's time to start winning....but he could also acknowledge they were a winning team before he bought them.

You're not wrong by stating this. But, it wasn't that a good of a team, considering Vanek was their "leader" when Pegulas took over on 2/18/10.

No owner will acknowledge what your asking. Neither can an owner rationalize a 8 year hiatus from the playoffs in the NHL. 

Question why I still buy tickets, except that it's something to do during the winter doldrums in Buffalo.

2007–08 2007–08 82 39 31 12 90 255 242 1040 4th, Northeast Did not qualify
2008–09 2008–09 82 41 32 9 91 250 234 1146 3rd, Northeast Did not qualify
2009–10 2009–10 82 45 27 10 100 235 207 908 1st, Northeast Lost in Conference Quarterfinals, 2–4 (Bruins)
2010–11 2010–11 82 43 29 10 96 245 229 958 3rd, Northeast Lost in Conference Quarterfinals, 3–4 (Flyers)
2011–12 2011–12 82 39 32 11 89 218 230 904 3rd, Northeast Did not qualify
2012–13 2012–13 48 21 21 6 48 125 143 630 5th, Northeast Did not qualify
2013–14 2013–14 82 21 51 10 52 157 248 903 8th, Atlantic Did not qualify
2014–15 2014–15 82 23 51 8 54 161 274 853 8th, Atlantic Did not qualify
2015–16 2015–16 82 35 36 11 81 201 222 731 7th, Atlantic Did not qualify
2016–17 2016–17 82 33 37 12 78 201 237 725 8th, Atlantic Did not qualify
2017–18 2017–18 82 25 45 12 62 199 280 653 8th, Atlantic Did not qualify
2018–19 2018–19 82 33 39 10 76 226 271 556 6th, Atlantic Did not qualify

Edited by I am the egg man

13 hours ago, MJS said:

If you don't have a clue about football or hockey, it's not necessarily easy to select the right people to surround you.  The Pegulas are the perfect example of this.  You can't win at blackjack if you don't know the game.  And you won't win until you learn and have a feel for it.  When the Pegulas bought into the games of hockey and football, the big mistake they made was not, with expert assistance, locating top notch management and coaching talent.  That's how you wind up with the likes of Rex Ryan and Phil Housley.

Edited by Formerly Allan in MD

Complete clown shoes management on the hockey side throughout Pegula's ownership.

From a standpoint of the hires, as well as the timing of changes like firing ruff a month into a season after a full offseason and half year lockout.  Firing regier in november with only lafontaine and no gm.  The drama that march with lafontaine's "resignation".  All during critical times of a deep teardown and rebuild.  

Hopefully they have it right at this point.  It should be a make or break year for botterill.  Anything less than respectable cant be enough.  At that point, it would be (again) time to restore credibility with an experienced, respected president of hockey ops/gm who may act autonomously from ownership.  

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

Well, Ruff and Regier are both available...

Ezactly.

But Pegula feels otherwise.  Between the Sabres and the Bills, he has employed 10 HC's in the relatively short time he has owned each.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Ezactly.

But Pegula feels otherwise.  Between the Sabres and the Bills, he has employed 10 HC's in the relatively short time he has owned each.

Well Ruff lasted just 4 seasons in Dallas and is an assistant on the Rangers now while Regier still hasn't been hired since stepping away in 2016.  I don't think going back to the past is the answer.  And many of his coaching hires have been lauded.

And most of those HC's have been on the Sabres as he's on just his 2nd HC hire with the Bills.  I'm more interested in the Bills and am glad that in just his 3rd full season of ownership the team went back to the playoffs.  Hopefully the Sabres return soon.

Edited by Doc