Nate Oats heading to Alabama

DBilz2500

Guess that contract extension he signed a few weeks ago doesn't mean much..why did they bother?

EDIT: Oh...I reread it...to increase the buyout...smart move

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

I hate to see him go.  He did a great job with the program.  This is almost always what happens when a mid-major coach has a run of success.  It's inevitable.  I was holding out hope that Oats would like the city and school enough to stick around and try to build a mid-major powerhouse like Gonzaga (or Cincinnati or even Butler).  I think he even mentioned that at the time he signed his extension.

A cautionary tale for Oats is Don Monson.  He had great success at Gonzaga, but decided to move to the Big 10 and took the Minnesota job.  Since then, he has never had the kind of success he had at Gonzaga.  He's gone from Minnesota and now at another mid-major in Long Beach State and not even sniffing the NCAA Tournament.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Monson 

Meanwhile, after Monson left, Gonzaga continued its run of success, which continues today.  Mark Few, their current coach, had decided to stay there and enjoy the success, rather than jump to a Power-5 conference job and it has worked out well.  Who knows - possibly Bobby Hurley will have a Don Monson-like career since he left UB for the Pac-12 and Arizona State.

3 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

I hate to see him go.  He did a great job with the program.  This is almost always what happens when a mid-major coach has a run of success.  It's inevitable.  I was holding out hope that Oats would like the city and school enough to stick around and try to build a mid-major powerhouse like Gonzaga (or Cincinnati or even Butler).  I think he even mentioned that at the time he signed his extension.

A cautionary tale for Oats is Don Monson.  He had great success at Gonzaga, but decided to move to the Big 10 and took the Minnesota job.  Since then, he has never had the kind of success he had at Gonzaga.  He's gone from Minnesota and now at another mid-major in Long Beach State and not even sniffing the NCAA Tournament.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Monson 

Meanwhile, after Monson left, Gonzaga continued its run of success, which continues today.  Mark Few, their current coach, had decided to stay there and enjoy the success, rather than jump to a Power-5 conference job and it has worked out well.  Who knows - possibly Bobby Hurley will have a Don Monson-like career since he left UB for the Pac-12 and Arizona State.

ASU is stacked for next season. Only losing one starter. They will be a top team unless something messes up.

7 minutes ago, Dkollidas said:

I didn’t realize coaches under contract could leave for other head coaching positions... seems like a bad way to have things set up in the NCAA.

Common though, extension = more buyout $ and more $ for a raise. Wink wink type stuff

No surprise at all. Oates is an amazing coach and he's very unlikely to reach the apex at UB.

I'm sure he appreciates his time in Buffalo, but he strikes me as the kind of guy with BIGTIME aspirations. 

Sucks to see him go, but it was inevitable.

39 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

Hurley had a cup of coffee at Buff.  He has had his ASU team in the Tourney for the past 2 years....

12 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Hurley had a cup of coffee at Buff.  He has had his ASU team in the Tourney for the past 2 years....

They were in the play in game the first two years, losing it last year and winning it this year, before bowing out in the round of 64.  UB advanced to the round of 32 both years.  I'm not a Hurley or ASU fan (although I admit I liked the momentum that Hurley started at UB), so I'd wouldn't be disappointed if this is as good as it gets for them.  We'll see.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, MacGyver said:

That was fast. This is a good example of why Buffalo sports teams don't win championships. When they do have talent, they cannot hold on to it.

He knew before he signed the new contract in Cleveland.He just played it for the tourney...the more the talented team won..the more he knew he would get.

He played it..

3 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

That was fast. This is a good example of why Buffalo sports teams don't win championships. When they do have talent, they cannot hold on to it.

Can't you throw together some duct tape, a paper clip, and hydrogen peroxide and make Buffalo a more desirable place?

1 minute ago, boater said:

I must misunderstand contract extensions. I thought they lock you in.

I didn't know you could sign an extension, then leave whenever you want. Heh.

Life must be hard.

1 hour ago, MacGyver said:

This is complete and utter nonsense. 

Of course UB is not a powerhouse nor will they ever be. They're a MAC team. You're only going to go so far in terms of recruiting in the MAC. It is what it is. 

If you're speaking specifically of UB; yes. A top coach is going to leave for a P5 program. This situation has nothing to do with Buffalo itself.

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Like (+1) 2

I know the Pegulas owe nothing to UB but I wish they would've given them a nice gift ($$) to help UB give Oats a nice contract. They'd still be filthy rich for life. UB basketball lifted the spirits of Buffalo sports fans.

It's ridiculous that P5 conferences get so much more on their TV deals. It's also ridiculous that a huge state school like UB is left out as a mid-major.

Edited by suorangefan4

1 hour ago, msw2112 said:

They were in the play in game the first two years, losing it last year and winning it this year, before bowing out in the round of 64.  UB advanced to the round of 32 both years.  I'm not a Hurley or ASU fan (although I admit I liked the momentum that Hurley started at UB), so I'd wouldn't be disappointed if this is as good as it gets for them.  We'll see.

Point is that Hurley has been successful at both places.  

Until UB decides to play with the big boys (leave the MAC) and head into the Big East expect more of the same. Here is some inside trader info- faculty fights tooth and nail to maintain a watered down athletic  program. They want more money for more line numbers in their department and higher pay for faculty that is well above the private sector along with an amazing benefits package. Also, they feel threatened research money would be decreased as well. 

Lastly, it is sad that a big school like UB, in a hockey recruiting mecca only has club hockey- and they have to play at the Northtowns Center. A school that large should have D-1 hockey with their own rink. Just another pahetic part of Buffalo Sports.

1 hour ago, suorangefan4 said:

I know the Pegulas owe nothing to UB but I wish they would've given them a nice gift ($$) to help UB give Oats a nice contract. They'd still be filthy rich for life. UB basketball lifted the spirits of Buffalo sports fans.

It's ridiculous that P5 conferences get so much more on their TV deals. It's also ridiculous that a huge state school like UB is left out as a mid-major.

They could of offered Oates 2 mil per year and he would of left- his contract was leverage for a better deal in a big school- Alabama in the SEC or UB in the MAC? It is a no brainer. 

3 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

Until UB decides to play with the big boys (leave the MAC) and head into the Big East expect more of the same. Here is some inside trader info- faculty fights tooth and nail to maintain a watered down athletic  program. They want more money for more line numbers in their department and higher pay for faculty that is well above the private sector along with an amazing benefits package. Also, they feel threatened research money would be decreased as well. 

Lastly, it is sad that a big school like UB, in a hockey recruiting mecca only has club hockey- and they have to play at the Northtowns Center. A school that large should have D-1 hockey with their own rink. Just another pahetic part of Buffalo Sports.

They could of offered Oates 2 mil per year and he would of left- his contract was leverage for a better deal in a big school- Alabama in the SEC or UB in the MAC? It is a no brainer. 

With the youth programs in WNY and Southern Ontario, I've felt for years now that D-1 Lacrosse and Hockey are both no brainers.  They have a rink across the street from the Amherst campus that is more than adequate until they build one of their own.  Lacrosse is even easier.  It can be played right on the football field. 

Yet here they are with neither.  :(

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

With the youth programs in WNY and Southern Ontario, I've felt for years now that D-1 Lacrosse and Hockey are both no brainers.  They have a rink across the street from the Amherst campus that is more than adequate until they build one of their own.  Lacrosse is even easier.  It can be played right on the football field. 

Yet here they are with neither.  :(

It drives me nuts! Heck Buff State has a beautiful rink for D-3 and Niagara U isnt too shabby either- small school but D-1 yet UB digs their heels in time and again. You are right will never happen! 

34 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

Just because it's in the SEC doesn't make it a better job than UB. Gonzaga is in the WCC and a top ranked school every year. That job is better than Alabama. If Buffalo could give the same money I'd easily stay there. Not to mention Buffalo is a much nicer city than Tuscaloosa.

1 minute ago, suorangefan4 said:

Just because it's in the SEC doesn't make it a better job than UB. Gonzaga is in the WCC and a top ranked school every year. That job is better than Alabama. If Buffalo could give the same money I'd easily stay there. Not to mention Buffalo is a much nicer city than Tuscaloosa.

Gonzaga is an outlier- and they also have alot more support for their program. Alabama may turn into a beast and will have much better competition within the SEC.

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Normally I’d agree but there is no bigger topic in Buffalo sports. We are in the period between FA & the draft. This is the dominant topic of the day. 

A lot more interesting than Robert Kraft's knob polishing, that's for sure....

14 minutes ago, suorangefan4 said:

People have to be realistic here. Coleman Coliseum in Tuscaloosa has a 16,000 seat capacity. Alumni Arena has a capacity of 7k and is not exactly state of the art. UB Stadium holds 29,000!

UB is a MAC school. What they've done recently has been OUTSTANDING. Gonzaga is an outlier as their stadium only holds 6k. But they've built a brand that's darn near impossible to emulate. It would be great if UB were a powerhouse, but there's very little basis to believe it will become a national brad. I hope they continue to build on their success.

Edited by LSHMEAB

I have little respect for Oats. He made it a point to say that he’s staying in Buffalo and even signed an extension.  

Yet he’s too much of a chump to take the heat and talk about why he left for Alabama.  The dude is a chump....good coach....but a chump.

Edited by BillyWhiteShows

3 hours ago, TheTruthHurts said:

That's college sports for you. 

Yet kids can’t transfer without sitting out a year...  But coaches don’t need to honor their contracts.  College sports often leave a bad taste in my mouth.

43 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

People have to be realistic here. Coleman Coliseum in Tuscaloosa has a 16,000 seat capacity. Alumni Arena has a capacity of 7k and is not exactly state of the art. UB Stadium holds 29,000!

UB is a MAC school. What they've done recently has been OUTSTANDING. Gonzaga is an outlier as their stadium only holds 6k. But they've built a brand that's darn near impossible to emulate. It would be great if UB were a powerhouse, but there's very little basis to believe it will become a national brad. I hope they continue to build on their success.

I get that....but Oats also went on WGR and other media outlets after signing his extension and talked how how he wanted to stay in Buffalo and be the “Gonzaga of the East.”  If he wasn’t serious, he never should’ve signed the extension or talked about his dedication to the area.  

Then he makes the decision and doesn’t talk to the press.  It’s not a good look for him

5 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Yet kids can’t transfer without sitting out a year...  But coaches don’t need to honor their contracts.  College sports often leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Nate screwed over those kids.

• Like (+1) 1