Case Keenum traded to Redskins

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

This is a puzzling move for Washington.

This year, Alex Smith will count over $20 million against the cap, even if he doesn't play (which he probably won't).

Case Keenum is set to count $21 million against the cap in 2019. 

And where they are in the draft, it could be very difficult to land a top QB prospect without a significant trade-up.

Unless Keenum restructures his contract (which is possible, but why would he?), the Redskins could have over $40 million of their salary cap tied up in QBs.  And they would still be at the bottom of the league in passing, without a young passer waiting in the wings.

Cousins gave them a complex where they cant help but tie up elite money on above average QBs one may even be below average.

11 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Pretty good deal for Redskins...$3.5m for Keenum. I think most teams would take Keenum for that price.  Backup money.  

Can't have nobody going into the draft or they would be desperate and have zero leverage in any trade scenario.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Pretty good deal for Redskins...$3.5m for Keenum. I think most teams would take Keenum for that price.  Backup money.  

Absolutely.  The Skins did a good job landing Keenum for such a paltry sum, in terms of $ and picks.  Great for him, too, as he goes into a really good situation in a contract year.

1 hour ago, Real McCoy said:

Denver or Elway look like clowns themselves. Snag Keenum and let Allen, Rosen and Jackson all pass by last year. At least Chubb does look like a stud for them I guess. Now grab Flacco as the savior?

Do they make up for it in this years draft at 10? I can't see Flacco being the answer.

Agreed.  Chubb is an outstanding defensive player, at least one year in.  But in my mind the most difficult position to fill in football is quarterback, and Denver/Elway absolutely blew it last year.  He was 2 hours south of Josh Allen for God’s sake!!!

Edited by billmon06
Poor spelling :)
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, FluffHead said:

Broncos trade Keenum to Washington, thus ensuring neither team wins more than six games in 2019 

Technically not yet...can't trade anyone til the start of the league year.

2 hours ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Would not surprise me to see Washington still in the market for a QB.  Ditto for Denver 

I agree with you.  I believe Keenum is only under contract for the 2019 season.  With Alex Smith no guarantee to return for 2020, it would make sense for them to draft a QB this year and get him ready to play in 2020.  Keenum plays out the one year and is gone.  Given their situation, it is a reasonable strategy.  I think Washington is now more likely to draft a QB.  I just hope they need to get to 9 to get him.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Well one thing for the Redskins to not have to worry about as far as another QB sustaining injury: Keenum will never be concussed with that stupid looking helmet lol!!!! Dude looks like a living booble head lol

You lol’d your own joke. That’s pretty awesome. 

17 minutes ago, Logic said:

Just a reminder that Beane got a 3rd for Tyrod and a 5th for McCarron -- both better picks than what Denver just got for Keenum.

Badass wizard, that Beane.

Denver got a 6th round pick for Keenum AND a 7th...what a crap return.  and they are paying $3.5 million of his salary to boot.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

But he traded away a 3rd for Benjamin.

Nobody in the NFL is perfect. Nobody.

So far, Beane's trade hits seem to outweigh his misses.

Oh, and the Bills wouldn't have broken the playoff drought without Benjamin. That's a fact.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Would not surprise me to see Washington still in the market for a QB.  Ditto for Denver 

I agree.  It depends on what Arizona would ask for a Rosen trade whether or not that's viable for Washington, but I can't believe they'd be so dumb as to put all their eggs in the Case Keenum basket.  Agree on Denver as well.  Trading away Keenum tells me that drafting Drew Lock is just about a done deal, unless Buffalo can convince some team lower in the draft to leapfrog Denver to draft him.

1 hour ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

I agree with you.  I believe Keenum is only under contract for the 2019 season.  With Alex Smith no guarantee to return for 2020, it would make sense for them to draft a QB this year and get him ready to play in 2020.  Keenum plays out the one year and is gone.  Given their situation, it is a reasonable strategy.  I think Washington is now more likely to draft a QB.  I just hope they need to get to 9 to get him.

Redskins have many other needs and not a lot of cap space.  Though if they're smart they should still draft a quarterback.  But no one's ever accused the Redskins of being smart.

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Nobody in the NFL is perfect. Nobody.

So far, Beane's trade hits seem to outweigh his misses.

Oh, and the Bills wouldn't have broken the playoff drought without Benjamin. That's a fact.

I’m not doubting the truth of this, but I am drawing a complete blank as to why..? What happened?

7 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I’m not doubting the truth of this, but I am drawing a complete blank as to why..? What happened?

Losing the Colts snow game would have eliminated the Bills from the playoffs. If you recall that game, the Bills barely won as it was. The difference in score that day came from the sideline jump ball to Benjamin followed by his high-point catch in the end zone for 6. There's no way to know for sure, of course, but I like to think the Bills wouldn't have won that game without those catches from Benjamin...

...The only problem is that those two catches were pretty much his only positive contributions to the team during his entire disappointing tenure.

While the Benjamin trade has to be looked at as a failure, I can't blame Beane for trying in this instance. And for the reason mentioned above, at least one positive thing came of it.

https://youtu.be/w4-Ino9ytmk?t=166

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Well one thing for the Redskins to not have to worry about as far as another QB sustaining injury: Keenum will never be concussed with that stupid looking helmet lol!!!! Dude looks like a living booble head lol

You do realize he wears the same exact model helmet as Josh Allen and many other NFL players. Right?

3 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

What a person to replace Alex Smith with. Basically the same exact guy, only with less winning. 

and I would add maybe not too smart.

His deal with Broncos was 2 years 25 mill guaranteed. 36 mill total.

He got 18 mill last year and if played this year on the deal would have made another 18 mill total= 36 mill. (7 mill of 2019 was guaranteed) Instead he makes 7 mill playing for Redskins that he would have received if Broncos cut him. He then could have shopped for best deal best team.

He must have really wanted to go to Redskins as he is basically playing for them for free.

https://www.milehighreport.com/2018/3/16/17131318/case-keenum-contract-broncos

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, aristocrat said:

Yea how did we get a third for tyrod?

Beane’s a witch.

34 minutes ago, Logic said:

Losing the Colts snow game would have eliminated the Bills from the playoffs. If you recall that game, the Bills barely won as it was. The difference in score that day came from the sideline jump ball to Benjamin followed by his high-point catch in the end zone for 6. There's no way to know for sure, of course, but I like to think the Bills wouldn't have won that game without those catches from Benjamin...

...The only problem is that those two catches were pretty much his only positive contributions to the team during his entire disappointing tenure.

While the Benjamin trade has to be looked at as a failure, I can't blame Beane for trying in this instance. And for the reason mentioned above, at least one positive thing came of it.

Ha I was just about to post all this same stuff, but you covered it already.  Nice work.  

KB was only traded for because we were in playoff race and it 100% led to us breaking the drought and making said playoffs.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Gotcha! I agree!

By that measure, Deonte Thompson was also critical to breaking the drought... any given Sunday ain’t a joke. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, FluffHead said:

Broncos trade Keenum to Washington, thus ensuring neither team wins more than six games in 2019 

Now that’s funny.  It doesn’t surprise me though.  So many QB’s gone in trades, you wonder will Miami trade for Rosen, or take one with their first pick.

38 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Now that’s funny.  It doesn’t surprise me though.  So many QB’s gone in trades, you wonder will Miami trade for Rosen, or take one with their first pick.

I think Miami rolls with a mediocre QB this year, maybe a guy like Ryan Fitzpatrick, and focuses mainly on rebuilding the defense and OL through the draft. I also expect them to attempt to trade down and pick up ammunition for next year's draft when Tua and Herbert will be available. It will be semi-tank mode for them imo. 

14 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

Redskins gonna Redskin. Way to tie up a monster chunk of cap space at a position with players who are going to give you production mildly above a street free agent. 

No, his cap hit ain’t big - washington isn’t responsible for the prorated cap hit.

7 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Gotcha! I agree!

By that measure, Deonte Thompson was also critical to breaking the drought... any given Sunday ain’t a joke. 

The refs won that game for the bills. The OPI called on the colts on their 2-pt conversion was about as phantom as it gets and is hardly ever called.

10 hours ago, cba fan said:

and I would add maybe not too smart.

His deal with Broncos was 2 years 25 mill guaranteed. 36 mill total.

He got 18 mill last year and if played this year on the deal would have made another 18 mill total= 36 mill. (7 mill of 2019 was guaranteed) Instead he makes 7 mill playing for Redskins that he would have received if Broncos cut him. He then could have shopped for best deal best team.

He must have really wanted to go to Redskins as he is basically playing for them for free.

https://www.milehighreport.com/2018/3/16/17131318/case-keenum-contract-broncos

I don't think he chose to get traded... he was still under contract.

16 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

This will be Jay Gruden's last year if that's their plan at QB.

Could be. I don't see what else they can do right now though. I get the thought process because they were a surprisingly good team last year before Alex Smith went down. NFCE race will be a 3 headed monster if they have a competent quarterback. They would have likely knocked both Dallas and Philly out of playoffs with Alex Smith. They were way in the lead.

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P

5 hours ago, H2o said:

I think Miami rolls with a mediocre QB this year, maybe a guy like Ryan Fitzpatrick, and focuses mainly on rebuilding the defense and OL through the draft. I also expect them to attempt to trade down and pick up ammunition for next year's draft when Tua and Herbert will be available. It will be semi-tank mode for them imo. 

Semi nothing.  They're in full tank mode and not even trying to hide it.  They are going to be awful this year.  That's why they hired a 1st-time HC...no self-respecting coach (except a guy getting his first shot) wants to walk into a situation in which his roster is full of youth and mercenaries.

Edited by eball
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, eball said:

Semi nothing.  They're in full tank mode and not even trying to hide it. 

I fully agree and in the position they are in, I can't blame them. From what I can see the 2020 draft might be MUCH better than this one.

I hope the Bills trade down and get more picks for 2020.

Edited by Bill from NYC

2 hours ago, dneveu said:

I don't think he chose to get traded... he was still under contract.

he did choose. He agreed to drop his 18 mill contract for 2019 in return for a 7 mill contract for 2019 and the trade to Skins. This facilitated the trade.

He would have received that 7 mill, he will now get for PLAYING for 2019 with Skins, to finish out the guaranteed money on his 2 year deal if Denver cut him and without needing to play for that 7 mill.

He should have held his ground and Denver likely cuts him or less likely keeps him for 18 million. If cut he would "right now" have as much money as he will have at the end of this 2019 season after playing ALL season for Skins. 

Then he could have chosen his destination and probably earned another 11 or 12 mill or maybe even more for 2019. He played it wrong or he has a poor agent.

Edited by cba fan

45 minutes ago, cba fan said:

he did choose. He agreed to drop his 18 mill contract for 2019 in return for a 7 mill contract for 2019 and the trade to Skins. This facilitated the trade.

He would have received that 7 mill, he will now get for PLAYING for 2019 with Skins, to finish out the guaranteed money on his 2 year deal if Denver cut him and without needing to play for that 7 mill.

He should have held his ground and Denver likely cuts him or less likely keeps him for 18 million. If cut he would "right now" have as much money as he will have at the end of this 2019 season after playing ALL season for Skins. 

Then he could have chosen his destination and probably earned another 11 or 12 mill or maybe even more for 2019. He played it wrong or he has a poor agent.

Fair enough - what was the market like for him though?  I guess he could've stood his ground but maybe this gets him a chance to re-establish his value.  Denver may have just sat him for the year - thus killing his value.

• Like (+1) 1