T.J. Hockenson

gonzo1105

I would like it. He could be Allen’s Greg Olsen. 

I wonder if they wouldn’t go after the more athletic Fant, but I think they’d prefer a guy like Hockenson. Could see them trying to move down in order to add some picks in order to do so as well. 

9 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Just watched three games on Hockenson and to be honest I am a little surprised by all the Gronk and Kelce comparisons going on.    He is definitely willing to do it all.   But aside from having really good hands he doesnt stand out as an elite top ten talent.   He is a good blocker, but he is also streaky at times, especially in the Penn State and Mississippi State games I watched (that Mississippi State defense was fast and nasty).  He has some size but wouldnt say he plays big, in fact he comes across as a smaller H-Back despite being 6'5.   I will be curious about the speed but he doesnt look like a 4.4 or 4.5 guy on film.   I also didnt see crisp route running.  I saw a guy who would sneak off an initial block and get wide open rather than getting open using route running skills.  

Three games doesnt tell the entire story, but I would be against the Bills taking him in the top ten.

I think there are a lot of fair points here. As you alluded to, I think a lot is going to come down to his combine workout. I mean if he runs a 4.81, and measured 6-3, he won't be a top ten pick, but if he blows it up, or at least puts up respectable numbers, I think you are getting a pretty special guy. I am very interested in how he measures, height, weight, wing span, hands, things of that nature. I don't want an H back. We also have to keep in mind that the guy is a redshirt sophomore, so there is a still a lot of growth to be had. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

Measured in nicely today at the combine

6-4 6/8 and 251 pounds. I thought he was coming in at 6'3. Positional value matters and he's not explosive any way but he's just so good and is a devastating blocker as well. Definitely in play at #9 along with Jonah Williams, Ed Oliver and D.K. Metcalf.

That 6-4 kind of bothers me. It's not a big deal as we are talking fractions of an inch, but I'm a big measurements guy and not sure I love that. Eager to see how he runs. 

It's been mentioned already in this thread, I think, but Hockenson's blocking ability on day 1 makes him a high floor player that can contribute immediately. Even if the receiving side of his game takes a couple years to get cooking (which I'm not necessarily convinced it will, any way), his immediate contributions in the blocking game would be a great boon to the Bills offense.

• Like (+1) 3

When people watch Hockensons tape you have to remember the guy is 21 years old. He's still young. I went back and watched tape of Travis Kelce at Cincinnati and he was a lumberer he didn't look like a freak athlete either. I will say Kelce did look a hell of a lot more filled out in the upper body in college. Its very hard to compare Hockenson to guys like him and Gronk and Ertz who have filled out their bodies and have been in the league awhile.

7 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I know. It's dumb, but it's one of those things that just bothers me. I'm glad I am not a scout. 

The average across the league is 6' 5" so he is 2 "8ths" from being right in the sweet spot.

For a frame of reference out of the 21 TE's at the combine Hockenson is in the top 5 in height. He is taller than Fant, and Bama's Irv Smith Jr is the shortest at 6'2" and 3/8.

The other TE I like is Josh Oliver he came in at 6'4" and change, but had the largest hands measured 10.75.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TPS said:

I wouldn't be disappointed if this happened:   Mock Draft

R1 Hockeson

R2 Little

R3  whathisname-Arcega

Just call him JAWS... I didn’t make this up it a name I’ve heard thrown around 

JJ Arcega-Whiteside 

1 hour ago, TPS said:

I wouldn't be disappointed if this happened:   Mock Draft

R1 Hockeson

R2 Little

R3  whathisname-Arcega

I see a trade back into the late first

Hockenson

Bradbury? Ford? Risner? 

1 minute ago, Bangarang said:

It’s a still no from me at 9

Who do you want at 9, if they don't trade down?  Ed Oliver DT is my hope, if they don't trade down.  Would love to be able to get Oliver, Bradbury, and Risner, a RB, TE, and a few WRs.

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Bills2ref said:

4.7’s. For both runs. Not super explosive. But has shown good route running ability. Ertz also ran 4.7’s so I’m not that concerned. 

I love hockenson. He’s not an Uber athletic tight end like Kelce. But he’s fluid, athletic and great hands who can block. Reminds me a ton of Heath Miller and for me, totally worth the 9th pick. 

Something about the idea of taking Hockenson at 9 is irksome. The three best TE's(Ertz, Gronk, Kelce) were all taken in the 2nd/3rd round.

I feel like the Bills would be giving up a lot of capital in the hopes that becomes as good as guys that were taken much later. I like Hock quite a bit. I don't like Hock at 9.

Edited by BillsSB2020

4 hours ago, GimmeSomeProcess said:

I love hockenson. He’s not an Uber athletic tight end like Kelce. But he’s fluid, athletic and great hands who can block. Reminds me a ton of Heath Miller and for me, totally worth the 9th pick. 

Great Hands, good route runner, great blocker, physical etc

His 3 cone was quicker than 95% of the RBs. It was fast than Deebo Samuels and Andy Isabella.

But for some reason I just feel he’ll have the work ethic, drive and heart as well.

Im all about Hockenson at 9. He improves our run game and passing game.

Ok, so as opposed as I have been to the thought of drafting a TE at #9, I have to admit that todays performance with the videos I have seen of Hockenson have me a bit intrigued. If we get the OL fixed in FA, and I mean really fixed with proven quality starters at positions of need, then I would be good with Hockenson in the 1st and Boykin in the 2nd.

3 minutes ago, H2o said:

Ok, so as opposed as I have been to the thought of drafting a TE at #9, I have to admit that todays performance with the videos I have seen of Hockenson have me a bit intrigued. If we get the OL fixed in FA, and I mean really fixed with proven quality starters at positions of need, then I would be good with Hockenson in the 1st and Boykin in the 2nd.

There’s a chance Hockenson goes 7 or 8.

Boykin just doesn’t fit this scheme, neither does Harry or Butler.

Im thinking AJ Brown, Parris Campbell, Riley Ridley, Deebo Samuels. All those WRs are multi role guys. Slot, split out, great route runners, great hands, shifty and tough to bring down. 

Right now I’m....

9. Hockenson 

40. AJ Brown 

1 minute ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

There’s a chance Hockenson goes 7 or 8.

Boykin just doesn’t fit this scheme, neither does Harry or Butler.

Im thinking AJ Brown, Parris Campbell, Riley Ridley, Deebo Samuels. All those WRs are multi role guys. Slot, split out, great route runners, great hands, shifty and tough to bring down. 

Right now I’m....

9. Hockenson 

40. AJ Brown 

We do this we better be VERY aggressive in fa on the offensive line

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

We do this we better be VERY aggressive in fa on the offensive line

Still a long way to go, but I would be very bullish that one of the first two picks this year will be OL..,

Some people seem very optimistic in how Free Agency is going to turn out for the Bills..,

2 hours ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

Great Hands, good route runner, great blocker, physical etc

His 3 cone was quicker than 95% of the RBs. It was fast than Deebo Samuels and Andy Isabella.

But for some reason I just feel he’ll have the work ethic, drive and heart as well.

Im all about Hockenson at 9. He improves our run game and passing game.

I’m glad to hear about his 3 cone, I was a little disappointed by his 40 time. I was hoping he was a 4.6 guy. If we come out of round 1 with Taylor, Metcalf, or Hockenson I will be happy.

32 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

He ran in the 4.7s. Late first. 

4.7 flat is still above average for tight ends. Long speed isn't that important for a tight end. How often are they running a go route compared to working the short or intermediate areas of the field or staying home to block?

His 3 cone drill, 20 yard shuttle and 60 yard shuttle (change of direction/agility) results were very good. As were his vertical and broad jump results (lower body strength/explosiveness). His bench press was disappointing IMO, but upper body strength is relatively easy to develop from NCAA to pro, especially for someone with a good athletic profile.

Highlighting the drills above with his percentile against other TE (big thanks to MockDraftable.com which is an invaluable resource this time of year) :

40 yard dash: 4.70 (68th)

Vertical: 37.5 (90th)

Broad Jump: 123" (91st)

3-Cone drill: 7.02 (77th)

20 yard shuttle: 4.18 (85th)

60 yard shuttle: 11.55 (84th)

Bench Press: 17 reps (21st)

• Like (+1) 2