What’s your most Controversial opinion?

Juror#8

2 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Maybe. But it's still up to you.

But, the self-infliction came when you decided to accept the relocation.  You could have stayed put and found another job.

"Good or bad, baby
You can change it anyway you want
You can rearrange it
Enlightenment, don't know what it is
Chop that wood and carry water
What's the sound of one hand clapping
Enlightenment, don't you know what it is..."

People that post music lyrics are, typically, hermaphrodites. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 hours ago, KD in CA said:

You are stuck on the notion that college is supposed to equal job training. It's not.  I'm curious about what you've done for 30 years without ever having the value of your education become apparent to you.

The anti-college thing is just a fad;  goes hand in hand with the 'kids have too much homework' movement, which of course is absurd.

So, let's satisfy your curiosity. Spent a little over 15 years as an engineer. Roughly half in production floor support, half in design (at Xerox they were separate jobs, in smaller companies they were the same job.)

Following that, spent almost 20 years in purchasing and planning. With the career change I decided to educate myself and took the APICS certification program. Found this way more applicable to the new career, and was able to implement at least a few of the ideas in to actions that immediately improved the financial health of my organization. Things like ABCing inventory and tying the sales and operation plan to the production plan. That being said, while I did follow through and receive my certification, most of what was applied to the work place was learned in the intro course.

In a similar way, I never said the value of my education was never apparent to me. Those were your words. However, I can tell you that most what I really needed to know I learned in Kindergarten.

"...Share everything. Play fair. Don’t hit people. Put things back where you found them. Clean up your own mess. Don’t take things that aren’t yours. Say you’re sorry when you hurt somebody. Wash your hands before you eat. Flush. Warm cookies and cold milk are good for you. Live a balanced life—learn some and think some and draw and paint and sing and dance and play and work every day some. Take a nap every afternoon. When you go out into the world, watch out for traffic, hold hands, and stick together. Wonder. Remember the little seed in the Styrofoam cup: The roots go down and the plant goes up and nobody really knows how or why, but we are all like that. Goldfish and hamsters and white mice and even the little seed in the Styrofoam cup—they all die. So do we..."

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.ca/books/56955/all-i-really-need-to-know-i-learned-in-kindergarten-by-robert-fulghum/9780345466396/excerpt

With those things in mind, I apologize if my opinion in some way offended you. 

1 hour ago, Steve O said:

So, let's satisfy your curiosity. Spent a little over 15 years as an engineer. Roughly half in production floor support, half in design (at Xerox they were separate jobs, in smaller companies they were the same job.)

Following that, spent almost 20 years in purchasing and planning. With the career change I decided to educate myself and took the APICS certification program. Found this way more applicable to the new career, and was able to implement at least a few of the ideas in to actions that immediately improved the financial health of my organization. Things like ABCing inventory and tying the sales and operation plan to the production plan. That being said, while I did follow through and receive my certification, most of what was applied to the work place was learned in the intro course.

In a similar way, I never said the value of my education was never apparent to me. Those were your words. However, I can tell you that most what I really needed to know I learned in Kindergarten.

"...Share everything. Play fair. Don’t hit people. Put things back where you found them. Clean up your own mess. Don’t take things that aren’t yours. Say you’re sorry when you hurt somebody. Wash your hands before you eat. Flush. Warm cookies and cold milk are good for you. Live a balanced life—learn some and think some and draw and paint and sing and dance and play and work every day some. Take a nap every afternoon. When you go out into the world, watch out for traffic, hold hands, and stick together. Wonder. Remember the little seed in the Styrofoam cup: The roots go down and the plant goes up and nobody really knows how or why, but we are all like that. Goldfish and hamsters and white mice and even the little seed in the Styrofoam cup—they all die. So do we..."

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.ca/books/56955/all-i-really-need-to-know-i-learned-in-kindergarten-by-robert-fulghum/9780345466396/excerpt

With those things in mind, I apologize if my opinion in some way offended you

:huh: -- why would your opinion offend me?  I don't know you.

So you're saying that if you never went to college you would have been able to achieve the same career milestones.  I suppose that's possible, but I've met very few people who have worked in professional settings that can say that (I know a number of successful tradesmen who can say that).  And it sounds like, presumably other than obvious things like learning to read and add, you didn't find much value in any education beyond Kindergarten.  If you say so.

As I said above, it's now fashionable to declare 'college isn't worth it', and so it gets repeated a lot.  Yes, if you are some bimbo who paid $80 grand a year to get a feminist studies degree from NYU that might be accurate, but for most the experience and learnings are worthwhile and the financial returns measured over time support that conclusion.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

:huh: -- why would your opinion offend me?  I don't know you.

So you're saying that if you never went to college you would have been able to achieve the same career milestones.  I suppose that's possible, but I've met very few people who have worked in professional settings that can say that (I know a number of successful tradesmen who can say that).  And it sounds like, presumably other than obvious things like learning to read and add, you didn't find much value in any education beyond Kindergarten.  If you say so.

As I said above, it's now fashionable to declare 'college isn't worth it', and so it gets repeated a lot.  Yes, if you are some bimbo who paid $80 grand a year to get a feminist studies degree from NYU that might be accurate, but for most the experience and learnings are worthwhile and the financial returns measured over time support that conclusion.

Never said I would have had the same career without an education. Never would have gotten the jobs I did without it. I do think that at least for the engineering  portion I would have been just as successful without staying in the library until closing every night had I been able get the same jobs (which I would definitely not have been able to do.)

What I did was agree with the OP that college degrees were overrated. You wasted no time in telling me my opinion was ignorant (which was not accurate.) The response sounded angry, so thought I might have offended you. Should have put more emphasis on the ISO portion of my original response, leaving the education part out. As to what is fashionable regarding the worth of college these days, I have no idea. 

I believe life starts at conception.

Not that I want to write laws regarding that, but I know that my wife and I, and everyone else I know that has children, considered my children's lives as starting the second we learned they existed.

We certainly behaved that way.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, sherpa said:

Not that I want to write laws regarding that, but I know that my wife and I, and everyone else I know that has children, considered my children's lives as starting the second we learned they existed.

I believe life starts when you take off your shoes.

• Haha (+1) 1

15 hours ago, sherpa said:

So which one is it?  Does life begin at conception, or does it begin when we learn that a woman is pregnant?

For me, life begins at around age 7 or 8.  My son just turned 9, so he appears to have made it.  My 5 year old daughter, however, well we’re still on the fence as to whether or not we’re gonna “keep her.”  She keeps acting up, and Daddy might have to drive her out to a farm where she will have room to run and be naughty.  She will be happier there ?

• Haha (+1) 1

Accepting that a proven great team at full strength is not going to lose 85-0

they will probably win

and being furious for more than two minutes after is really immature

unless I had at least $2,000 on the game

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

So which one is it?  Does life begin at conception, or does it begin when we learn that a woman is pregnant?

For me, life begins at around age 7 or 8.  My son just turned 9, so he appears to have made it.  My 5 year old daughter, however, well we’re still on the fence as to whether or not we’re gonna “keep her.”  She keeps acting up, and Daddy might have to drive her out to a farm where she will have room to run and be naughty.  She will be happier there ?

I also support abortion up to and including the 49th trimester.

• Haha (+1) 2

17 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

Hero worship of the military is not a positive thing for a democracy. There are bad people in the services just like there are bad people in every other profession, including mine.

Also, Buffalo sports fans highly overrate themselves.

the best military people were often behind the scenes

it's a great area for reading and learning about leadership, even if they don't put you on TV or make a movie about you, as will happen for basically every one of us on here...  :D

On 1/19/2019 at 1:31 PM, mead107 said:

College has become a huge business. 

College dose not make everyone smarter.   

50% of people that go are wasting time and large amounts of money. 

Just my opinion.  

The job I'm in now at a software company, requires a two year degree. I don't have that, but I have 8 years customer service/tech support experience. They hired me based on that, and figured I could learn the rest along the way. Assuming I stay with the company long term, I may take a few courses that would help me here, but I don't plan on getting a degree any time soon. 

As far as the topic of the thread goes, without getting too PP:

• When gay marriage was legalized it was a step backwards. Instead of allowing same-sex couples to obtain a marriage licence, they should have just eliminated the requirement of a marriage licence altogether. 
  • Taxation is Theft.
  • EJ Manuel was a good quarterback, that Doug Marrone ruined.
  • U2 is extremely overrated, and haven't done anything good since Joshua Tree.
  • Mamba is better than Starburst.

18 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

Hero worship of the military is not a positive thing for a democracy. There are bad people in the services just like there are bad people in every other profession, including mine.

Also, Buffalo sports fans highly overrate themselves.

Yeah. This one will get you in huge trouble. I remember when my cousin came back from Iraq. We picked him up at the airport. Him and I were really close, so I genuinely was just excited to see him. But when we were walking through the airport, like four people rudely interrupted our conversation just to thank him for his service. 

2 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

The job I'm in now at a software company, requires a two year degree. I don't have that, but I have 8 years customer service/tech support experience. They hired me based on that, and figured I could learn the rest along the way. Assuming I stay with the company long term, I may take a few courses that would help me here, but I don't plan on getting a degree any time soon. 

As far as the topic of the thread goes, without getting too PP:

• When gay marriage was legalized it was a step backwards. Instead of allowing same-sex couples to obtain a marriage licence, they should have just eliminated the requirement of a marriage licence altogether. 
  • Taxation is Theft.
  • EJ Manuel was a good quarterback, that Doug Marrone ruined.
  • U2 is extremely overrated, and haven't done anything good since Joshua Tree.
  • Mamba is better than Starburst.

that sucks ...  I hate that concept myself.   I've been doing my job for over 30 years and I still can't get the title of Engineer.  

But hey,  I get paid as much and sometimes more than some engineers.   So Call me a janitor, just pay me well. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/19/2019 at 6:43 PM, Gugny said:

People arrested for possession (without intent to sell)/use of opioids should go to rehab; not jail.

Forcible rape should be life imprisonment with no parole, if found guilty.

A person who falsely accuses someone of a crime should face the maximum penalty of said crime.

Pedophiles/sexual predators should be sent to prison for life, no parole, as they cannot be rehabilitated.

I believe in pro-choice.

I believe in the right to die.

I think everyone deserves healthcare.

I think more money needs to be spent on preventing people from taking advantage of social services/SNAP/welfare, etc., because there are enough people who truly need it.

I think it's too easy to become a police officer.

I also think policemen and corrections officers are grossly underpaid.

I think letting combat war veterans hold jobs that allow/require them to hold or use firearms is a mistake.

Strangely, I agree with about 75% of what you just said. That scares me.

The majority of homeless people in the United States are there as a result of their own bad decisions.

1 hour ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

The majority of homeless people in the United States are there as a result of their own bad decisions.

A person who falsely accuses someone ...  

Some bitchy neighbor called Family Services in 85 because we had an argument to not leave the garbage pails under my living room window.  Do you know how demeaning that is having someone come in and inspect your 18 month old for bruises?  

That Lesbocitch deserved to face charges. 

Forcible rapist should be castrated

Pedophiles/sexual predators should be castrated

Adults who are still picky eaters have low IQs.

Bumper stickers of any kind are for picky eaters.

Leaving your shopping cart propped up on a curb or free to roam around a parking lot should be punishable by jail time.  Walk it back to the corral you lazy f@#$s! 

Also, using a weight bench as a coffee table and doing exercises next to the bench should be punishable by hard jail time.

Lying about your connecting flight leaving in 10 minutes to deplane faster, jumping up a boarding group, cutting in line, not re-racking your weights, and the myriad other things people do to game the system and save precious seconds doesn't make you clever.  It makes you an #######. 

i suppose my controversial opinions are in response to some ideas here.  

all education, in any form, is a positive.  how you go about it, and what you spend on it is up to you.  they can never take an education from you.  some education may not train you for a specific job, but you should learn critical thinking, other beliefs, exposure to new ideas,etc.

and i don't think everyone needs to serve in the military.  i completely get the idea, but i was someone who didn't want to, didn't need to, and would not have gotten a single thing from it.  in fact, going into the military would have held me back in life in terms of timing.

1 hour ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

i think many, (possibly the majority) are homeless due to mental health issues.  

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

A person who falsely accuses someone ...  

Some bitchy neighbor called Family Services in 85 because we had an argument to not leave the garbage pails under my living room window.  Do you know how demeaning that is having someone come in and inspect your 18 month old for bruises?  

That Lesbocitch deserved to face charges. 

Forcible rapist should be castrated

Pedophiles/sexual predators should be castrated

I've had CPS called on both of my parents, granted one was kind of my fault. First time, when I was about four, I hit the little girl that I was playing with. My mom lightly slapped me and told me not to do it again. Later that weekend, I legit fell down the stairs, and got a black eye. Monday, I got to school, and when the teacher asked why I had a black eye, my response was "My mom hit me."

The second time was total bullsh*t. I was about 8 or 9, so my brother was about 4 or 5. We went to McDonald's, and the drive thru was long, so my dad just went in and got the food. My brother and I played in the car, pretending we were driving. When my dad came out, he told my brother to get in the back seat, and motioned back, and then drove off. Pretty uneventful.

Until a knock came on the door a few days later. Some lady took down my dad's licence plate. She called CPS and said that my dad left us in the car for 30 minutes, went into McDonald's, ate his food by himself (my dad hates McDonald's), then came back out, and hit my brother so hard that he fell into the back seat. 

3 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I've had CPS called on both of my parents, granted one was kind of my fault. First time, when I was about four, I hit the little girl that I was playing with. My mom lightly slapped me and told me not to do it again. Later that weekend, I legit fell down the stairs, and got a black eye. Monday, I got to school, and when the teacher asked why I had a black eye, my response was "My mom hit me."

The second time was total bullsh*t. I was about 8 or 9, so my brother was about 4 or 5. We went to McDonald's, and the drive thru was long, so my dad just went in and got the food. My brother and I played in the car, pretending we were driving. When my dad came out, he told my brother to get in the back seat, and motioned back, and then drove off. Pretty uneventful.

Until a knock came on the door a few days later. Some lady took down my dad's licence plate. She called CPS and said that my dad left us in the car for 30 minutes, went into McDonald's, ate his food by himself (my dad hates McDonald's), then came back out, and hit my brother so hard that he fell into the back seat. 

holy chit 

(that's kinda funny though)