What’s your most Controversial opinion?

Juror#8

20 minutes ago, Juror#8 said:

College degrees are overrated and I think there should be a place for vigilante justice in our society subject to certain parameters. 

I put college degrees up there with ISO certifications. A lot of effort and money spent on convincing people that there is a lot of value in something that has very little. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Steve O said:

I put college degrees up there with ISO certifications. A lot of effort and money spent on convincing people that there is a lot of value in something that has very little. 

Your opinions aren't controversial, they're just ignorant.

Read and learn...and if you're still relatively young, go to school.

Unfortunately, a certain demographic in our country has decided college is a waste of time which is a really dangerous place to be as a nation.  

http://www.aplu.org/projects-and-initiatives/college-costs-tuition-and-financial-aid/publicuvalues/employment-earnings.html

• Like (+1) 3

17 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Picard > Kirk

Man this one is tough for me - putting me in a weird space.

I gotta know ... are you basing this on longevity, verisimilitude, competence, or just overall badassery in the captain’s chair? 

Edited by Juror#8

10 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Unfortunately, a certain demographic in our country has decided college is a waste of time which is a really dangerous place to be as a nation.  

http://www.aplu.org/projects-and-initiatives/college-costs-tuition-and-financial-aid/publicuvalues/employment-earnings.html

Man I don’t know. I have a handful of advanced degrees and professional licenses. They’re finally starting to bear some fruit from a financial rewards standpoint. But I know a ton of folks who are way more financially successful yet they avoided the academic debt factories. 

Unless a person is going to school with a professional focus in mind that that degree makes them immediately professionally eligible to do (perhaps after licensure like: engineer, accountant) I think the practical advantageousness of the college degree is a farce.

I can get as much edification and intellectual stimulation from a public library for the cost of a quiet afternoon and a library card. I can socialize about something erudite in a reading circle or philosophy group that’s free and meets at any number of groovy places a few nights a week. 

Just my opinion ...

Edited by Juror#8
  • Like (+1) 4

53 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Those earning vs degrees studies fail to mention that most people who choose to go to college are already smarter and more motivated than average. If you were to eliminate college as a choice, an earning gap would still exist with the same demographics.

I remember that one of the speakers at graduation cited a statistic that 50% will NEVER use their degrees. His message was that colleges usher children into the real world by teaching them how to think, instead.- (which used to be a parent's job, but we've destroyed that by compelling two income households).

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Not everyone should be allowed to have children.  There should be a process whereby individuals are able to demonstrate that they will be competent, loving, and responsible caregivers.

That reminds me of the interviews and background checks that some dog breeders will put you through before you are allowed to buy one of their puppies. It’s harder to get approval for raising a dog than it is to raise a kid. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2