What’s your most Controversial opinion?

Juror#8

2 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Maybe. But it's still up to you.

But, the self-infliction came when you decided to accept the relocation.  You could have stayed put and found another job.

"Good or bad, baby
You can change it anyway you want
You can rearrange it
Enlightenment, don't know what it is
Chop that wood and carry water
What's the sound of one hand clapping
Enlightenment, don't you know what it is..."

People that post music lyrics are, typically, hermaphrodites. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 hours ago, KD in CA said:

You are stuck on the notion that college is supposed to equal job training. It's not.  I'm curious about what you've done for 30 years without ever having the value of your education become apparent to you.

The anti-college thing is just a fad;  goes hand in hand with the 'kids have too much homework' movement, which of course is absurd.

So, let's satisfy your curiosity. Spent a little over 15 years as an engineer. Roughly half in production floor support, half in design (at Xerox they were separate jobs, in smaller companies they were the same job.)

Following that, spent almost 20 years in purchasing and planning. With the career change I decided to educate myself and took the APICS certification program. Found this way more applicable to the new career, and was able to implement at least a few of the ideas in to actions that immediately improved the financial health of my organization. Things like ABCing inventory and tying the sales and operation plan to the production plan. That being said, while I did follow through and receive my certification, most of what was applied to the work place was learned in the intro course.

In a similar way, I never said the value of my education was never apparent to me. Those were your words. However, I can tell you that most what I really needed to know I learned in Kindergarten.

"...Share everything. Play fair. Don’t hit people. Put things back where you found them. Clean up your own mess. Don’t take things that aren’t yours. Say you’re sorry when you hurt somebody. Wash your hands before you eat. Flush. Warm cookies and cold milk are good for you. Live a balanced life—learn some and think some and draw and paint and sing and dance and play and work every day some. Take a nap every afternoon. When you go out into the world, watch out for traffic, hold hands, and stick together. Wonder. Remember the little seed in the Styrofoam cup: The roots go down and the plant goes up and nobody really knows how or why, but we are all like that. Goldfish and hamsters and white mice and even the little seed in the Styrofoam cup—they all die. So do we..."

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.ca/books/56955/all-i-really-need-to-know-i-learned-in-kindergarten-by-robert-fulghum/9780345466396/excerpt

With those things in mind, I apologize if my opinion in some way offended you. 

1 hour ago, Steve O said:

So, let's satisfy your curiosity. Spent a little over 15 years as an engineer. Roughly half in production floor support, half in design (at Xerox they were separate jobs, in smaller companies they were the same job.)

Following that, spent almost 20 years in purchasing and planning. With the career change I decided to educate myself and took the APICS certification program. Found this way more applicable to the new career, and was able to implement at least a few of the ideas in to actions that immediately improved the financial health of my organization. Things like ABCing inventory and tying the sales and operation plan to the production plan. That being said, while I did follow through and receive my certification, most of what was applied to the work place was learned in the intro course.

In a similar way, I never said the value of my education was never apparent to me. Those were your words. However, I can tell you that most what I really needed to know I learned in Kindergarten.

"...Share everything. Play fair. Don’t hit people. Put things back where you found them. Clean up your own mess. Don’t take things that aren’t yours. Say you’re sorry when you hurt somebody. Wash your hands before you eat. Flush. Warm cookies and cold milk are good for you. Live a balanced life—learn some and think some and draw and paint and sing and dance and play and work every day some. Take a nap every afternoon. When you go out into the world, watch out for traffic, hold hands, and stick together. Wonder. Remember the little seed in the Styrofoam cup: The roots go down and the plant goes up and nobody really knows how or why, but we are all like that. Goldfish and hamsters and white mice and even the little seed in the Styrofoam cup—they all die. So do we..."

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.ca/books/56955/all-i-really-need-to-know-i-learned-in-kindergarten-by-robert-fulghum/9780345466396/excerpt

With those things in mind, I apologize if my opinion in some way offended you

:huh: -- why would your opinion offend me?  I don't know you.

So you're saying that if you never went to college you would have been able to achieve the same career milestones.  I suppose that's possible, but I've met very few people who have worked in professional settings that can say that (I know a number of successful tradesmen who can say that).  And it sounds like, presumably other than obvious things like learning to read and add, you didn't find much value in any education beyond Kindergarten.  If you say so.

As I said above, it's now fashionable to declare 'college isn't worth it', and so it gets repeated a lot.  Yes, if you are some bimbo who paid $80 grand a year to get a feminist studies degree from NYU that might be accurate, but for most the experience and learnings are worthwhile and the financial returns measured over time support that conclusion.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

:huh: -- why would your opinion offend me?  I don't know you.

So you're saying that if you never went to college you would have been able to achieve the same career milestones.  I suppose that's possible, but I've met very few people who have worked in professional settings that can say that (I know a number of successful tradesmen who can say that).  And it sounds like, presumably other than obvious things like learning to read and add, you didn't find much value in any education beyond Kindergarten.  If you say so.

As I said above, it's now fashionable to declare 'college isn't worth it', and so it gets repeated a lot.  Yes, if you are some bimbo who paid $80 grand a year to get a feminist studies degree from NYU that might be accurate, but for most the experience and learnings are worthwhile and the financial returns measured over time support that conclusion.

Never said I would have had the same career without an education. Never would have gotten the jobs I did without it. I do think that at least for the engineering  portion I would have been just as successful without staying in the library until closing every night had I been able get the same jobs (which I would definitely not have been able to do.)

What I did was agree with the OP that college degrees were overrated. You wasted no time in telling me my opinion was ignorant (which was not accurate.) The response sounded angry, so thought I might have offended you. Should have put more emphasis on the ISO portion of my original response, leaving the education part out. As to what is fashionable regarding the worth of college these days, I have no idea. 

I believe life starts at conception.

Not that I want to write laws regarding that, but I know that my wife and I, and everyone else I know that has children, considered my children's lives as starting the second we learned they existed.

We certainly behaved that way.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, sherpa said:

I believe life starts at conception.

Not that I want to write laws regarding that, but I know that my wife and I, and everyone else I know that has children, considered my children's lives as starting the second we learned they existed.

We certainly behaved that way.

I believe life starts when you take off your shoes.

• Haha (+1) 1