The Alliance of American Football Quarterback Draft Was Conducted on 11/27

26CornerBlitz

52 minutes ago, xsoldier54 said:

You are entitled to your opinion, but it is still going on, they just choose not to show it on TV.  Pretending it doesn't exist does not mean it's not happening.  If it doesn't bother you and you still wanna support these guys, then that's great.  It does bother millions of other Americans and the only NFL football that I watch anymore is my Buffalo Bills.  I won't support a bunch of millionaire athletes crying about being oppressed.  Again, if it doesn't bother you, then great.  As a veteran, I find it disrespectful to the men and women who have died in defense  of our country.  There is an established protocol for the playing of the anthem and it does not involve kneeling.

Thank you for your service, but man, I would love to have a cup of coffee with you and try to understand what is "disrespectful to the military" about a peaceful protest when each and every player protesting has made it clear it has nothing to do with the military.  To me, it's as if you have forgotten the reason for your service (and what makes America, America) in the first place.  Personally, I think you (and those who feel similarly) just don't like the reason behind the protest.  If players were kneeling because they didn't like that U.S. companies were sending manufacturing jobs overseas, would you be as offended?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, whatdrought said:

I’ve always wondered why the NFL doesn’t pursue a farm team...

My best guess is that from a player side, it’s hard to justify the extra investment and punishment that they will take for a potential to break out. 

From a business side, I wonder if Owners are worried that it would take away from the football market and the hard work that has been done to make high level football distinct and rare in America. It isn’t like baseball, where you can have a team in each city because fans just love the experience and the sport- there needs to be investment in teams and players. 

Because there just isn’t enough high end football talent to justify a farm team

Some players DO fall through the cracks... but it’s highly unlikely that an NFL caliber player will be bypassed by the draft and UDFA

and 22-23 year olds come in NFL ready yearly, they don’t need a 27 year old journeyman on a farm roster

if that 27 year old guy showed up and balled out in the CFL or AFL or this league the NFL would try him out . They aren’t holding back talent 

4 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Have all these guys agreed to play in the league or is it just a wish list?  If it's just a wish list it looks pretty bad for EJ & Nate not even being selected.  

There was NFL Europe/WLAF which produced several guys including HOFer Kurt Warner and future HOFer Adam Vinatieri.

Freddy Jackson!

This league may be perfect for the Peterman!

Edited by snamsnoops

1 hour ago, eball said:

Thank you for your service, but man, I would love to have a cup of coffee with you and try to understand what is "disrespectful to the military" about a peaceful protest when each and every player protesting has made it clear it has nothing to do with the military.  To me, it's as if you have forgotten the reason for your service (and what makes America, America) in the first place.  Personally, I think you (and those who feel similarly) just don't like the reason behind the protest.  If players were kneeling because they didn't like that U.S. companies were sending manufacturing jobs overseas, would you be as offended?

Literally every Vet I know is offended by the anthem protests and has cut the cord with the NFL. All 3 of my fantasy leagues folded because people were fed up with the NFL antics and their interest dropped.

And yes, I think their reason for protesting is unsubstantiated, ignorant, and meant to divide our great country... but to your point, I would be upset over ANY protest that knelt for the anthem. There is a much better forum to protest than during the playing of our national anthem. So if they were protesting jobs going over sees by kneeling during the anthem, I would be pissed. It is disrespectful to those who have fought and protect our freedoms. 

It is comparable to burning the flag... free country, but it’s a very crappy and disrespectful way to protest. 

5 minutes ago, MakeBuffaloGreatAgain said:

Literally every Vet I know is offended by the anthem protests and has cut the cord with the NFL. All 3 of my fantasy leagues folded because people were fed up with the NFL antics and their interest dropped.

And yes, I think their reason for protesting is unsubstantiated, ignorant, and meant to divide our great country... but to your point, I would be upset over ANY protest that knelt for the anthem. There is a much better forum to protest than during the playing of our national anthem. So if they were protesting jobs going over sees by kneeling during the anthem, I would be pissed. It is disrespectful to those who have fought and protect our freedoms. 

It is comparable to burning the flag... free country, but it’s a very crappy and disrespectful way to protest. 

I think there is a much better forum for playing the national anthem than before a freaking sporting event.  But that's beside the point.  Once you start deciding for someone when and where is a "better forum" for protesting, you've lost sight of what protesting is all about in the first place.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Yeah, those guys are then replaced by better guys ready to play now.  So it all works out.

Anyway, hard to believe that some think that the NFL needs (another) "feeder league", as though the NCAA doesn't exist.

That is impossible to know given the current "system." 

I would reckon there are guys that could come back to the NFL at 26 and could really contribute if they have been playing and not bagging groceries for a few years. I am bullish on the idea. If NCAA is the end-all be all, I just don't think it's enough. 

9 hours ago, xsoldier54 said:

I would love to see them succeed and the NFL go completely out of business.  The whole kneeling thing as well as all of the rule changes make the NFL virtually unwatchable in most cases.  

Right???? ?

8 hours ago, whatdrought said:

My best guess is that from a player side, it’s hard to justify the extra investment and punishment that they will take for a potential to break out. 

From a business side, I wonder if Owners are worried that it would take away from the football market and the hard work that has been done to make high level football distinct and rare in America. It isn’t like baseball, where you can have a team in each city because fans just love the experience and the sport- there needs to be investment in teams and players. 

Its because the NCAA functions perfectly fine as the NFL's development league. It really does.  Maybe an occasional late bloomer gets passed over, but for the most part is works great. 

2 hours ago, HansLanda said:

That is impossible to know given the current "system." 

I would reckon there are guys that could come back to the NFL at 26 and could really contribute if they have been playing and not bagging groceries for a few years. I am bullish on the idea. If NCAA is the end-all be all, I just don't think it's enough. 

Of course it's enough.  Every bit of history makes this overwhelmingly true and obvious.  

You are saying these leagues should exist for the, literally, 5 or 6 guys every few years who might make an NFL roster from these D leagues?  That's not convincing.

The NFL is doing very well (as ever) without these couple of guys.

9 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Have all these guys agreed to play in the league or is it just a wish list?  If it's just a wish list it looks pretty bad for EJ & Nate not even being selected.  

There was NFL Europe/WLAF which produced several guys including HOFer Kurt Warner and future HOFer Adam Vinatieri.

And Fred Jackson.

And Brad Johnson.

2 Super Bowl winning QBs

Edited by reddogblitz

5 hours ago, MakeBuffaloGreatAgain said:

I can tell you that every veteran I know has no problem with the kneeling.

I think black people being murdered by police and not being charged divides the country a lot more than a few athletes kneeling during a song.  

And it's not comparable to burning the flag.  Kneeling can't hurt anyone.  Kneeling is silent.  Can't be smelled.  And it's disruptive in no way, shape or form.

• Like (+1) 1

Bill Polian is heavily involved in this. He came on One Bills Live not long ago and talked about it with Murphy and Tasker.

It is not meant to compete with the NFL. It is supposed to compliment the NFL and help players get to the NFL. Each player has an out in their contract allowing them to go to the NFL easily.

Players have been assigned to teams based on region so that fans will remember the players from college and already have some familiarity with them, except for the QB's who were drafted.

Seems cool to me and I hope it turns into a farm system. I think the big difference between this and college is that players are able to focus 100% on football. They don't take college dropouts or guys straight from high school. Their eligibility rules are very similar to the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, xsoldier54 said:

I would love to see them succeed and the NFL go completely out of business.  The whole kneeling thing as well as all of the rule changes make the NFL virtually unwatchable in most cases.  

Bad take. I thoroughly enjoy the new rules changes and the kneeling is a non-story now finally and the NFL is better than ever.

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

I can tell you that every veteran I know has no problem with the kneeling.

I think black people being murdered by police and not being charged divides the country a lot more than a few athletes kneeling during a song.  

And it's not comparable to burning the flag.  Kneeling can't hurt anyone.  Kneeling is silent.  Can't be smelled.  And it's disruptive in no way, shape or form.

A vast majority of the fellow veterans (like Gug) I know have no problem with it. I view it as veterans served their country to protect our FREEDOM.  So honor a veteran by using your freedom even if it is not popular.

Whoever said standing for the anthem was to honor veterans?  It is to honor America. All of it.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, MJS said:

Bill Polian is heavily involved in this. He came on One Bills Live not long ago and talked about it with Murphy and Tasker.

It is not meant to compete with the NFL. It is supposed to compliment the NFL and help players get to the NFL. Each player has an out in their contract allowing them to go to the NFL easily.

Players have been assigned to teams based on region so that fans will remember the players from college and already have some familiarity with them, except for the QB's who were drafted.

Seems cool to me and I hope it turns into a farm system. I think the big difference between this and college is that players are able to focus 100% on football. They don't take college dropouts or guys straight from high school. Their eligibility rules are very similar to the NFL.

It's a great system and I'm pretty excited for it.

A lot of the teams, if not all, already had QBs on the roster before this QB draft. For instance, Arizona already had Mike Bercovici, the former ASU QB. So, I was a little confused by the QB draft, but I think it's just so team aren't stuck with local QBs and they can get some good ones in the pipeline. But, if they do that for QBs, players are gonna wonder why they're not doing it for other positions. It's kind of odd, but they really just want to emphasize the QB position.

36 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

It's a great system and I'm pretty excited for it.

A lot of the teams, if not all, already had QBs on the roster before this QB draft. For instance, Arizona already had Mike Bercovici, the former ASU QB. So, I was a little confused by the QB draft, but I think it's just so team aren't stuck with local QBs and they can get some good ones in the pipeline. But, if they do that for QBs, players are gonna wonder why they're not doing it for other positions. It's kind of odd, but they really just want to emphasize the QB position.

That might just be how they are starting out. Maybe they'll do it differently in the future once things get more established.

20 hours ago, whatdrought said:

This has always been my opinion on it.... The average life expectancy in the NFL, for a RB for example, is under four years. How long are they going to be in the "farm system" for, and how much wear and tear does it do on their body?

The only exception to the rule that I can think of is maybe Fred Jackson, who played in NFL Europe before coming to Buffalo, but he only played there one year.

11 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Of course it's enough.  Every bit of history makes this overwhelmingly true and obvious.  

You are saying these leagues should exist for the, literally, 5 or 6 guys every few years who might make an NFL roster from these D leagues?  That's not convincing.

The NFL is doing very well (as ever) without these couple of guys.

I am simply saying we just don't know because this kind of league hasn't really existed. 

7 minutes ago, HansLanda said:

I am simply saying we just don't know because this kind of league hasn't really existed. 

Of course it has.  USFL,  NFLE, XFL, even the several Arena leagues.

Nothing new here---all failed and none served as a "minor league" for the NFL....because the true minor league has been and will always be the NCAA.

Plus, there is no public interest in these leagues.

41 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Of course it has.  USFL,  NFLE, XFL, even the several Arena leagues.

Nothing new here---all failed and none served as a "minor league" for the NFL....because the true minor league has been and will always be the NCAA.

Bingo.  And I'd love to see this change.

36 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

At different times NFLE did have fan interest. The Monarchs did for a few years until they basically couldn't afford Wembley and started playing at different stadia every week which killed it off and in Germany right up until the end the interest was good and the attendances high. Even in Scotland there was a time when the Scottish Claymores were getting better attendances than any Scottish soccer team not name Rangers or Celtic.

The reason Goodell killed off NFLE was because he calculated (and rightly so) that in the digital era a better way to grow interest in the game in Europe was to allow them access to the actual 32 NFL teams through products like Game Pass and through the Wembley games, rather than by showing them some reserve level players playing sub standard football.

All of which kind of proves your point I think...... the development aspect of NFLE was really a side benefit for the league that came 2nd to the global brand building strategy. Once there was a more effective way of building the brand than NFLE the league shut it down and felt no need to replace it with a farm league because that was never the primary objective of NFLE anyway.

19 hours ago, eball said:

It's the anthem man.  Kneeling for the anthem is inherently offensive/disrespectful.  Just like the N word is inherently offensive. And like how water is inherently wet. 

The anthem has nothing to do with what they are protesting.  Nothing at all.  If I burnt a cross in my front yard, which I have a right to do as free speech, but I said " no no no it's not offensive bc im just trying to draw attention to the endangered sea turtles" I doubt I'd get the same pass. 

Now can we please get back to the tpoic of this thread?   I think a league like this has serious potential but you need the players.  Manziel should be the QB of the team outta San Antonio.  Tebow if available should be on a team out of FL.  Kaepernick should be on the San Diego maybe?

Those kinda guys are big media names and have big draws in local markets.  

I also think veteran NFL players who've lost a step could step down a level and play in this league bringing more notoriety.  Like Shady in a few seasons could be a huge signing in that league. 

I'm dying to see something like this work.  There's nothing to do in NY until the weather breaks in May !

16 minutes ago, peterpan said:

It's the anthem man.  Kneeling for the anthem is inherently offensive/disrespectful.  Just like the N word is inherently offensive. And like how water is inherently wet. 

Blind allegiance to a song "just because" isn't what this country is all about.  Sounds more like a dictatorship or monarchy.  You'll never convince me otherwise.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Bingo.  And I'd love to see this change.

Why?  This is where the best players come from.  They aren't to be found in the Greyhound bus leagues.  Why wouldn't any fan want the best players on their team ASAP?

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

At different times NFLE did have fan interest. The Monarchs did for a few years until they basically couldn't afford Wembley and started playing at different stadia every week which killed it off and in Germany right up until the end the interest was good and the attendances high. Even in Scotland there was a time when the Scottish Claymores were getting better attendances than any Scottish soccer team not name Rangers or Celtic.

The reason Goodell killed off NFLE was because he calculated (and rightly so) that in the digital era a better way to grow interest in the game in Europe was to allow them access to the actual 32 NFL teams through products like Game Pass and through the Wembley games, rather than by showing them some reserve level players playing sub standard football.

All of which kind of proves your point I think...... the development aspect of NFLE was really a side benefit for the league that came 2nd to the global brand building strategy. Once there was a more effective way of building the brand than NFLE the league shut it down and felt no need to replace it with a farm league because that was never the primary objective of NFLE anyway.

I meant interest in the US for these leagues was scant.  But I agree with your conclusion that the owners saw the interest of the Europeans and decided to end the appetizer and serve them the real thing.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Why?  This is where the best players come from.  They aren't to be found in the Greyhound bus leagues.  Why wouldn't any fan want the best players on their team ASAP?

Think of how much better they'd be if they didn't have to pretend to actually be there for an education.  Think of how much better they'd be as rookies if they're paid in a developmental league where the only focus is preparing for the NFL.

Let kids who want to play football whilst pursuing a degree go to college.

Let kids who just want to get to the NFL get paid to prepare in a development league.

On 11/28/2018 at 10:13 AM, xsoldier54 said:

Might I respectfully suggest that you go watch Ned Beatty's speech to Peter Finch in the movie 'Network'.

22 hours ago, xsoldier54 said:

You are entitled to your opinion, but it is still going on, they just choose not to show it on TV.  Pretending it doesn't exist does not mean it's not happening.  If it doesn't bother you and you still wanna support these guys, then that's great.  It does bother millions of other Americans and the only NFL football that I watch anymore is my Buffalo Bills.  I won't support a bunch of millionaire athletes crying about being oppressed.  Again, if it doesn't bother you, then great.  As a veteran, I find it disrespectful to the men and women who have died in defense  of our country.  There is an established protocol for the playing of the anthem and it does not involve kneeling.

Well, as a veteran myself it does not offend me in the least. Its actually refreshing to see a group of people use the rights of the country I defended in a peaceful way to envoke discussion and thought. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

On 11/28/2018 at 9:20 AM, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I watched a lot of it. The only shot one of these league has is to try and be a minor league for the nfl and get nfl teams involved. They seem to sort of understand that. Peterman and EJ should have been trying to get in. The league itself should have moved mountains to get Kap and Tebow.

Never happen, not under the current structure.  NFL Europe was the first attempt failed miserably.  The NFL has its "farm system" in the NCAA  and it doesnt cost the a penny.

As far as Tebow and Kap, that is brilliant, think iof the publicity.

10 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Never happen, not under the current structure.  NFL Europe was the first attempt failed miserably.  The NFL has its "farm system" in the NCAA  and it doesnt cost the a penny.

As far as Tebow and Kap, that is brilliant, think iof the publicity.

The ncaa isn’t a minor league. I don’t understand why people say that. The nhl nba and mlb all have minor leagues and every one of those sports are played at the college level. It’s nothing like a minor league. The teams have no control over any of the college players. Minor league would mean the teams have control and rights over players. It absolutely can happen in the NFL and someday it will. The first one of these leagues that figures out it needs the NFL affiliation, will be the one that will succeed.

On 11/28/2018 at 10:30 AM, jr1 said:

2nn7z4.jpg

Sure we laughed.

Sure we gave you "thumbs up".

However, please just let me be the first to take this moment and tell you right to your internet face that...man, this was just darn funny.

...and those members on this board are lying if the said that they didn't use Dr. Evil's voice, do the air quotes and say "AAF Quarterback Draft" out loud at home or in their office.