Get Foles, WR via FA, Draft lineman

BigSky

This year is a bust. I would get Foles via FA next year and let Allen learn behind him for however long it takes. Rogers sat behind Favre for several years before starting and it worked great. BTW NOT saying Foles is as good as Farve but he’s a hell of a lot better than any other veteran QB who will be available. Get a decent WR via FA and find another in the draft. Draft the best lineman available with our first pick and try to find a decent vet as well. Obviously need to fill some other holes as well but that’s how I would start as GM. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I don’t understand why folks keep bringing up wanting to get Foles. He has clearly stated routinely that he’ll retire if the Eagles trade him. He’s in his last spot of his career with a coach he admires.

Must be that some people only casually follow the NFL..

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

There is no way they let Allen sit another year. This is Allens year to learn and observe. Next season he will go into camp as the ingrained stater and get all the 1st team reps so that we can truly evaluate him.

You cant look at Rodgers and say "Hey it worked for him!". That situation in GB was very unique in that they had a HOF QB that was still competitive so there was no need to put Rodgers in.

Foles isn't as amazing as people think. Doug Pederson and his staff last year are responsible for designing a scheme that Foles is very good at executing. But, when a defense figures out how to stop that, Foles isn't really able to adjust. He's not a well-rounded QB. He can do a few things really well, and the rest of it, he's either average or just not good.

5 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I don’t understand why folks keep bringing up wanting to get Foles. He has clearly stated routinely that he’ll retire if the Eagles trade him. He’s in his last spot of his career with a coach he admires.

Yeah, there's a zero percent chance that he doesn't go chase a $20 million a year contact after his is up. Spoiler: it won't be with the eagles

4 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

Foles isn't as amazing as people think. Doug Pederson and his staff last year are responsible for designing a scheme that Foles is very good at executing. But, when a defense figures out how to stop that, Foles isn't really able to adjust. He's not a well-rounded QB. He can do a few things really well, and the rest of it, he's either average or just not good.

No matter how many times this is pointed out his name keeps coming up in thread after thread as the answer.

19 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

That's what all vets with kids who like their school district (except Fitz) tell their team.  Wouldn't you say the same thing if you liked your cushy backup job and new superbowl ring?

I would.

He's probably telling the truth though, God hates a liar and Folesy is tight with the man upstairs.  How else could he have caught that TD pass in the big game?

Personally I think we should part with no picks or personnel unless we get a serious offer for Shady.   We have Bears, Jets then a bye, and the kid will be back on Nov 24th at home vs the Jags, ready for phase two of his qb trainee program.

40 minutes ago, BigSky said:

This year is a bust. I would get Foles via FA next year and let Allen learn behind him for however long it takes. Rogers sat behind Favre for several years before starting and it worked great. BTW NOT saying Foles is as good as Farve but he’s a hell of a lot better than any other veteran QB who will be available. Get a decent WR via FA and find another in the draft. Draft the best lineman available with our first pick and try to find a decent vet as well. Obviously need to fill some other holes as well but that’s how I would start as GM. 

I would bring in Foles to be our team preacher, as he says he always wanted to be one. The only time I would play him is if we went to the Super Bowl. Then put him in for the Beef on Weck play, which is far more innovative than his Phily Phily Special.

42 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

No matter how many times this is pointed out his name keeps coming up in thread after thread as the answer.

Right? Yeesh. If Foles was as good as some people on this board think, he would've been signed to a team to be the starter. So he stays in Philly which is really the only place he's had any kind of success.

1 hour ago, BigSky said:

35 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

Foles IMO is not going to come cheap and not going to sign on to be a seat warmer.   Why should he?  His stock will never be higher he should cash in while he can.   

Not sure if you have seen Foles play as of late. But Philly was in a major rush to sit him on the Bench and get Wentz with newly rehabbed knee out there because Foles stunk up the joint.    

59 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He's not coming here, but I think you're misunderstanding the recommendation. He wouldn't come as a starter, but as arguably the best backup in the league. 

1 hour ago, BigSky said:

Sounds so easy...why haven't we done this before...so you just want decent players? It takes great players to win championships

Just now, dave mcbride said:

He's not coming here, but I think you're misunderstanding the recommendation. He wouldn't come as a starter, but as arguably the best backup in the league. 

Quoted from the OP: " I would get Foles via FA next year and let Allen learn behind him for however long it takes."

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

Probably the same people calling for Dez despite dez repeatedly only wanting to play for a Super Bowl contender lol. Or people saying "we should have kept Woods!" who was a free agents and unless we paid him 20mil a season wasnt going to stay getting 2-3 passes from Tyrod a game

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Quoted from the OP: " I would get Foles via FA next year and let Allen learn behind him for however long it takes."

Yeah, but isn't that exactly what a backup-quality vet qb is supposed to do? He's not recommending him as a long-term starter. Regardless, it'll never happen.

Edited by dave mcbride

Just now, dave mcbride said:

Yeah, but isn't that what a backup-quality vet qb is supposed to do? He's not recommending him as a long-term starter. 

However long it takes is not the way to go IMO because Foles could be a better QB than Allen for quite some time.

Allen is innacuate just like at Wyoming. Doubt he’ll become a franchise QB. Hope like he’ll I’m wrong but you can’t teach accuracy. If he does become a solid QB he’ll be the only QB with such a low completion % in college to do so in the NFL in a long long time. Hope he bucks the trend but the odds are long. 

Need to to figure something out for QB next year whether it’s a vet starter or backup. Haven’t heard a better plan. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BigSky said:

Allen is innacuate just like at Wyoming. Doubt he’ll become a franchise QB. Hope like he’ll I’m wrong but you can’t teach accuracy. If he does become a solid QB he’ll be the only QB with such a low completion % in college to do so in the NFL in a long long time. Hope he bucks the trend but the odds are long. 

Need to to figure something out for QB next year whether it’s a vet starter or backup. Haven’t heard a better plan. 

Nothing wrong bringing in a vet next offseason but Josh should be starting if he's healthy, the bad accuracy stuff is moot as look at what other rookie QBs doing. 

1 minute ago, The Jokeman said:

Nothing wrong bringing in a vet next offseason but Josh should be starting if he's healthy, the bad accuracy stuff is moot as look at what other rookie QBs doing. 

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

The inaccuracy issues are not moot because the other rookie QB's aren't much better in that department(although they are better)

What the other rookie QB's in this particular draft are doing, good or bad, has absolutely NO BEARING on prognosticating Josh Allen's future. I can't believe how often this silly take is repeated.

39 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I disagree as most WRs take 3 years to live up to potential, Olineman on the other hand can make almost immediate impacts. 

Look at the free agent WRs and tell me who you’d want to sign?  There’s maybe 1 or 2 that I would be happy with.  And they aren’t #1 WRs.  They’re #2 at best.  If that’s what you want at WR, that’s on you.  Star WRs are difference makers.  None of the free agent WRs are worth 10 mill-+.  Those are the WRs that we need.  Not second tier guys

edit.  That being said, I think we will have to sign at LEAST 1 solid FA wr.  But I’d like to add our future #1 WR via the draft or trade. The FA options just aren’t #1s

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BigSky said:

This isnt exactly breaking news that we need to add a veteran QB, 2 WRs and guys on the OL.  I would say if you polled 100 people all 100 would say the same thing.  BUT...

Foles isnt coming here.  Allen is our starter next year, and for the foreseeable future until he proves to be a hit or bust.  The only vets coming him here next year will be to backup Allen as a veteran presence.  Foles isnt leaving Philly for that, he will stay there to do that, he loves Philly.

We will add a veteran QB somewhere to backup and mentor Allen for sure and Peterman and Anderson will be gone, but I HIGHLY doubt its Foles.  We certainly need to add at least 1 premium WR, and I expect they will go for at least 2 new additions. They know they need a true #1 WR.  If they can get them in FA, they will, but true #1 WR's dont normally come available in FA and are usually in high demand when they do, so I suspect our #1 WR is going to be a high draft pick and they will look to add another quality WR in FA.  OL is gonna be something I expect both FA and Draft additions to. 

Not talking about other rookie QBs. Talking about Allen. His passes are inaccurate even when he has lots of time. There is a reason his percentage was so low in college. Should have been a 3rd to 5th round pick project QB. Hope I'm wrong but his passes are scary. Great kid just like EJ. Inaccurate just like EJ. Hope he can be taught how to throw accurate passes but I doubt it.       It's a shame to waste such a good D. Lets get a QB who can win some games next year while Allen works on his accuracy

6 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

The Legend of Nick Foles = Tyrod just needs more time and better weapons

Tyrod would've never put up enough offense to get the Eagles to the SB. Foles got hot and made some incredible passes in the playoffs and SB. If it was Tom Brady vs Tyrod Taylor in the SB I would bet so much money on that game. I rewatched that SB about 5 times, without Foles getting hot and passing the football like he did the Patriots win that game easily.

46 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Tyrod would've never put up enough offense to get the Eagles to the SB. Foles got hot and made some incredible passes in the playoffs and SB. If it was Tom Brady vs Tyrod Taylor in the SB I would bet so much money on that game. I rewatched that SB about 5 times, without Foles getting hot and passing the football like he did the Patriots win that game easily.

Pretty obvious. I"ll take the a guy who beat the Patriots in the biggest game of the year any day. How many QBs have won a super bowl in the last 15 years? How many have beat Brady? Would you rather have another ex Panther or Super Bowl winning QB mentor Allen?

9 hours ago, jletha said:

There is no way they let Allen sit another year. This is Allens year to learn and observe. Next season he will go into camp as the ingrained stater and get all the 1st team reps so that we can truly evaluate him.

You cant look at Rodgers and say "Hey it worked for him!". That situation in GB was very unique in that they had a HOF QB that was still competitive so there was no need to put Rodgers in.

And that was 15 seasons ago.  The NFL has changed significantly since.  You got to let your rookie take his lumps...He will be much better next year.