Has the light finally gone on for Zay Jones?

KOKO NFL

Zay will make a lot of good plays for the Bills over the years.  He’ll also have head scratching drops and mistakes.

A good 3 or maybe even 2.  The talent is there - much more potential than the usual revolving door of JAGs we bring in.  Getting a true #1 will help him.

3 minutes ago, Success said:

Zay will make a lot of good plays for the Bills over the years.  He’ll also have head scratching drops and mistakes.

A good 3 or maybe even 2.  The talent is there - much more potential than the usual revolving door of JAGs we bring in.  Getting a true #1 will help him.

The revolving door of jags have been better than him for his whole career outside of benjamin.

Foster and McKenzie this year. Thompson last year. 

Just now, ScottLaw said:

Vast improvement? Where?

He's nonexistent for the most part. He shows flashes but drops way too many balls and doesn't get separation. He's a JAG to this point.

if you can't see an improvement .......    you must be blind. 

Zay Jones of 2018 is far better than Zay Jones of 2017.    

• Thank you (+1) 1

The light is on, it just flickers sometimes. Guy still leads the team in receptions. Consistency is his main issue right now. I said this in another thread but I think he's fighting himself most of all. He might be in his own head, thinking too much and just not allowing himself to play fast. 

12 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Agreed.

He went from absolutely useless to useless on most weeks. 

12 minutes ago, WhyteDwarf said:

The problem is Zay Jones of 2018 isn't getting it done.

Was he ever supposed to be the #1 guy? 

He's got one more season to prove he's worthy of keeping or not.  More repetition with Josh (who is still learning) and not with Nate or Derrick playing QB.  

I'm fine with him being a 3/4 with McKenzie next year.  Foster is our 2 and we will go out and get another 1/2 WR. 

Unfortunately, that's all I expect from Zay anymore... not great when a 2nd Round Pick is relegated to fighting for the #3 spot, but that's where he is heading into 2019.

If Jones can't play well on special teams, I just don't see a lot of value in keeping him around. He has done nothing in 2 years to show that he warrants being a top 3 or 4 wr in this league. He knows where to line up and what routes to run. Other than that he offers no real speed, separation, run after the catch, consistent pass catching and/or the ability to make difficult/contested catches. He has been clearly passed by McKenzie and Foster and more weapons will be added next year. If he ends up as our 5th or 6th wr, then he will need to be an asset on special teams.

Edited by racketmaster
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, WhyteDwarf said:

McDermott traded up for him though.  He's "supposed" to be a Robert Woods type player.

He was supposed to be better.   I can see why people think that.   Who were the QB's passing to him?  Turdrod, Nate, Anderson, Barkley and the rookie Allen.  

But hey, you can rag on Zay all day long if it makes you feel better.  

Curious -  Did you hear what the announcers said during the game?    Only one WR has caught TD's in the Red Zone by Josh Allen. 

Kelvin Benjamin was much worse

A lot of regression the last couple of weeks. A critical part of his game that seems lacking is that he does not come back to the ball. He kind of sits and wait for the ball to come to him. That gives defenders space and time to close to the ball. He needs to attack the ball and catch the damn thing. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

I just dont see the toughness, the hands, or most importantly the speed from Zay. Getting outplayed by an UDFA and a guy like McKenzie speaks volumes. I dont think Zay is even a lock to make the 53 next year...assuming we bring in 2-3 more guys.

Agree, with the exception of him making the 53 next year.

They paid way to much to draft him. He is still on his rookie contract, so they will keep him.

That said he is at best a complimentary player and should be a rotational #4 or#5 receiver. 

It's hard to believe he starts every week. That shows how dire the receiving corps are. Learning the

position in the NFL is one thing. Dropping TD passes in the endzone (and elsewhere)  thrown between

the numbers is signs of a less than average player. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

He was supposed to be better.   I can see why people think that.   Who were the QB's passing to him?  Turdrod, Nate, Anderson, Barkley and the rookie Allen.  

But hey, you can rag on Zay all day long if it makes you feel better.  

Curious -  Did you hear what the announcers said during the game?    Only one WR has caught TD's in the Red Zone by Josh Allen. 

Kelvin Benjamin was much worse

He's a receiver that drops a lot of balls. He cannot reliably perform his job function, sorry.

9 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Was he ever supposed to be the #1 guy? 

He's got one more season to prove he's worthy of keeping or not.  More repetition with Josh (who is still learning) and not with Nate or Derrick playing QB.  

So Zay has some very interesting game logs.

His best game this season was the Jets game, with Barkley throwing to him.

8 receptions on 11 targets, 73%, 93 yds.

His worst game this season was last night, 1 reception on 6 targets, but he has not played as well since Allen came back.

Does he just have trouble handling what Allen throws?  Is he hurt again and not announcing it?  What?

Just now, CommonCents said:

Said it last week and got flamed for it, I’d trade Zay for a mid-late round pick, if that’s even possible. He is a zero. 

I gotta be honest, I am starting to lean this way. 

When you look at statistics, guys like Jerry Rice, TO, Michael Irvin etc dropped a lot of passes. But they had all world talent that made up for it. It's fine to drop 3 or 4 balls when you are catching 7 and making all world plays. 

Point being, Zay isn't good enough to drop the ball. He doesn't offer the speed and playmaking ability or upside those guys did, or even Foster or McKenzie do. You don't live with drops from a guy like Zay. 

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

His worst game this season was last night, 1 reception on 6 targets, but he has not played as well since Allen came back.

Does he just have trouble handling what Allen throws?  Is he hurt again and not announcing it?  What?

I think he is a guy who has had a few decent games?  It happens?  If he doesn't flip the script soon he'll need to be replaced.

27 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

A lot of regression the last couple of weeks. A critical part of his game that seems lacking is that he does not come back to the ball. He kind of sits and wait for the ball to come to him. That gives defenders space and time to close to the ball. He needs to attack the ball and catch the damn thing. 

since they cut KB.    

16 minutes ago, WhyteDwarf said:

I think he is a guy who has had a few decent games?  It happens?  If he doesn't flip the script soon he'll need to be replaced.

Jets game with Barkley  8 catches of 11 targets and 93 yards.  Oh and his 4 TD's still leads the team. 

Would I like to see more?  Sure I would.

Like I said crap on him all you want.   

29 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He had a good game against Miami 2 weeks ago.  4 for 67 yards and 2 TD's.  He was wide open when Allen missed him in the endzone as well.  It would have been a 3 TD day and around 85 yards....

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

The light seemed to go on earlier, very bright. Alas, it was one of those battery operated/solar lights. But the battery died and the length of daylight on the Solstice has dimmed expectations..

Interesting analogy.  I sent the kid a battery operated light with a solar charger.  It wouldn't recharge adequately until she tilted it towards the window so it caught more sun.

Perhaps Zay would also work better if he were tilted during the WR meetings.  A 30-45 degree angle towards the window might be best.

• Haha (+1) 2