Has the light finally gone on for Zay Jones?

KOKO NFL

4 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

FWIW   (for what its worth)  

Zay Jones is still the Bills leading WR

with 392 yards on 37 catches and 60 targets.  61.7%. 

with 2 TD catches 

Just think, if had 40 catches for 519 yards and 3 TDs, he’d be Sammy Watkins, worth $15m/yr and the apple of TSW’s eye!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Misterbluesky said:

And he was supposed to be our next Woods.Woods is not only a better pass catcher ..he blows Jones away when it comes to blocking people.

We really cannot analyze our WRs (other than Benjamin) as they have played with 3 QBs in TC and 4 QBs in the regular season in 10 games...You cannot get any consistency with that kind of plan.  The fact that Jones has got more catches in spite of all these major distractions tells me that he can be a good player for us and his commtiment to this team is 100%....We still need a replacement for Benjamin..but with Foster and McKenzie stepping up it may not be too bad.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ganesh said:

We really cannot analyze our WRs (other than Benjamin) as they have played with 3 QBs in TC and 4 QBs in the regular season in 10 games...You cannot get any consistency with that kind of plan.  The fact that Jones has got more catches in spite of all these major distractions tells me that he can be a good player for us and his commtiment to this team is 100%....We still need a replacement for Benjamin..but with Foster and McKenzie stepping up it may not be too bad.

Really.

This is the current answer.

Josh and Zay need some quality time together this offseason. Can see Jones becoming a very reliable receiver for Allen. to soon still.

keep in mind? I was a Jones hater right through this years preseason. He has been whittling me down : ) to like him, dude does play to the whistle Every snap

4 hours ago, Binghamton Beast said:

A mediocre receiver. Ideally, the type of guy that would be a good #4.

I don’t know how this goes, but he's light years ahead of last year. What might he become with a serious 100 catch threat on the field with him, and a year to work and develop with Allen? Hard for me to say at this point, but I think he could be a decent #2 or more likely #3. 

He is now good enough to catch passes that hit him in the hands when he has at least a yard of separation, which is an upgrade from last year. He runs good routes and he is a capable blocker. He still isn't good enough to be a true #2. He doesn't have great speed or separation, or the ability to win contested catches. Wouldn't be a bad 2nd round pick except we traded up for him and that clearly wasn't worth it.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, ganesh said:

ganesh,I think we've seen what Jones has to offer and simply put,He's replaceable and is a very average player.He's not the best route runner and he severely lacks when it comes to his blocking abilities.In all honesty,I think Beane and his staff will have up to 4 new names at that position come next year's final opening day roster...Jones is probably 50/50 to be on that roster...Foster...who knows, since he could be a flash in the pan...same thing with McKenzie.jmho

36 minutes ago, Augie said:

I don’t know how this goes, but he's light years ahead of last year. What might he become with a serious 100 catch threat on the field with him, and a year to work and develop with Allen? Hard for me to say at this point, but I think he could be a decent #2 or more likely #3. 

#2's and #3's need to be blockers as well as catchers....Jones is a poor blocker.

7 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

ganesh,I think we've seen what Jones has to offer and simply put,He's replaceable and is a very average player.He's not the best route runner and he severely lacks when it comes to his blocking abilities.In all honesty,I think Beane and his staff will have up to 4 new names at that position come next year's final opening day roster...Jones is probably 50/50 to be on that roster...Foster...who knows, since he could be a flash in the pan...same thing with McKenzie.jmho

#2's and #3's need to be blockers as well as catchers....Jones is a poor blocker.

I thought  he had a very nice block on the McKenzie TD run last week, but maybe it wasn’t him. Even the (usually idiot) commentators raved about it. I think he’s very willing, but was just too busy catching balls in college to block much. Last year was, for whatever reason, virtually lost. I think he’s more solid this year and can keep improving there. 

Edited by Augie

1 minute ago, Augie said:

I thought  he had a very nice block on the McKenzie TD run last week, but maybe it wasn’t him. Even the (usually idiot) commentators raved about it. I think he’s very willing, but was just too busy catching balls in college to block much. Last year was, for whatever reason, virtually lost. I think he’s more solid this year and can keep improving there. 

Well sir,it will be a long time before we know his fate but may no mistake about it,his name will be discussed by the staff this off season.

5 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Well sir,it will be a long time before we know his fate but may no mistake about it,his name will be discussed by the staff this off season.

No question about that. I don’t claim to know, but like most people have gut suspicions.....so pretty much a guess. And I’m wrong all the time, so being wrong here wouldn’t shock me!  ? Time will tell, and if he CAN step up, that’s one less position of need. Fingers crossed. 

3 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

And he was supposed to be our next Woods.Woods is not only a better pass catcher ..he blows Jones away when it comes to blocking people.

Yes Woods was a better catcher out the gates and Jones is roughly on path to equal Woods' rookie season. Well understood that Jones took a longer time to adjust to the NFL. But note that while Jones is on track for roughly a 600 yard season, Woods never crossed 700 yards with the Bills in any season. As for blocking, Jones had a good pass block and also a block on the McKenzie TD run. He is definitely getting better.

Woods was pretty much the same player throughout his Bills career and is having a career year in this his 7th season with a red hot Goff throwing to him, with a very pass-happy offense and some very good complementary WRs. Jones has has squat across from him and a rookie throwing to him. 

Not sure which exact season of Woods you are comparing Jones' to but dont you see a good upward trajectory ? I dont harbor hopes of Jones developing into a #1 but think he can be a good #2 or at worst a #3 if he continues growing. 

Edited by Fan in Chicago

So I am seriously wondering if the instant grat crowd understand that players mature at different rates?

First year - a disaster of a season.....seriously looked like a bust

Second year....say what you will....he is improved....he is catching the ball when it is thrown to him.....he looks likes like a legit number 3 guy

Third year?  Who knows.....but he is not a bust

Zay Jones is truley a dime a dizen wide reciever. That isn‘t meant as bashing the kid. If he was a 2 or 3 guy, I would think I could recall at least one play in his almost 2 year career that made me take notice. I can’t. Unless you want to count him levitating.

12 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

Woods is not only a better pass catcher ..he blows Jones away when it comes to blocking people.

Is there something he could have done better on the McKenzie touchdown play?  Or are you making a more general observation about the consistency of his blocking?

In McD's presser yesterday he did single out Jones for his blocking Sunday, but what does he know.

Edited by BillnutinHouston

4 hours ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Zay Jones is truley a dime a dizen wide reciever. That isn‘t meant as bashing the kid. If he was a 2 or 3 guy, I would think I could recall at least one play in his almost 2 year career that made me take notice. I can’t. Unless you want to count him levitating.

Because his first year was a disaster.......your not going to see anything in that year

We are into the 2nd year and he is light years better then he was in the first year.

Patience grasshopper

5 hours ago, BillnutinHouston said:

Is there something he could have done better on the McKenzie touchdown play?  Or are you making a more general observation about the consistency of his blocking?

In McD's presser yesterday he did single out Jones for his blocking Sunday, but what does he know.

Consistency in every aspect of his game....he's not going to the pro bowl .

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Because his first year was a disaster.......your not going to see anything in that year

We are into the 2nd year and he is light years better then he was in the first year.

Patience grasshopper

Thats what I said all of last year.    

Give the kid some time with a QB that can throw the ball.   

We're patiently waiting for Josh to progress to a consistent passing game 

21 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

in all fairness, I do not think Woods wanted to re-sign here....at the same time, his new deal was thought to be exorbitant....and now the WR market has recklessly exploded.....from a production standpoint and ROI, which would be your choice?

Robert Woods signed a 5 year, $34,000,000 contract with the Los Angeles Rams, including $15,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $6,800,000. In 2018, Woods will earn a base salary of $790,000, a roster bonus of $3,200,019, a restructure bonus of $4,710,019 and a incentive bonus of $300,000, while carrying a cap hit of $5,467,523 and a dead cap value of $8,700,038.

Sammy Watkins signed a 3 year, $48,000,000 contract with the Kansas City Chiefs, including a $21,000,000 signing bonus, $30,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $16,000,000. In 2018, Watkins will earn a base salary of $790,000, a signing bonus of $21,000,000 and a workout bonus of $10,000, while carrying a cap hit of $7,800,000 and a dead cap value of $30,010,000.

8 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Zay Jones: "Moving in the Right Direction with Him" (2:03)

Bills WR Zay Jones talks to reporters about his play vs the Dolphins as well as the performance and development of QB Josh Allen.

Cheer up Zay. This is just the beginning baby. Look forward to the Allen to Jones highlight reels over the next 10 years. Hope he has a big game next week.

Still would have rather not traded up and just taken JuJu.  But Zay is certainly becoming a solid player. He doesn’t have the speed to be a number one but he certainly has shown he is a starter in the league.

props to him rebounding after an awful start. Confidence is a wonderful thing.

• Like (+1) 1

This is how a new young wr develops chemistry with a new young qb. And yes it could've been 3 TDs and 120 yards if not for a drop and a miscommunication in the EZ. We still need a legit #1 but Zay is slowly showing he can be a #2....

Edited by LABILLBACKER

Player  G Tgt Rec Yds Y/R TD Lng R/G Y/G Ctch%
Zay Jones 12 69 41 459 11.2 4 57 3.4 38.3 59.40%
Kelvin Benjamin 12 59 23 354 15.4 1 40 1.9 29.5 39.00%
LeSean McCoy 11 39 29 210 7.2 0 24 2.6 19.1 74.40%
Charles Clay 10 33 20 178 8.9 0 21 2 17.8 60.60%
Chris Ivory 11 19 12 159 13.3 0 55 1.1 14.5 63.20%
Jason Croom 12 24 15 147 9.8 1 26 1.3 12.3 62.50%
  • Like (+1) 1