Do you think Robert Foster can develop to into a #1 receiver?

BBills88

If he can put on about 12 pounds and retain his speed, kid could be legit. I don't know what was up with him the beginning of the year and why he was so awful, but the 180 he's pulled makes me think if he keeps working he could be the guy.

iskdze4pbwe3ga862hac.jpg

A few weeks ago, Robert Foster said he needed to be cut. The undrafted rookie receiver felt being released by the Bills only made him more focused on becoming a successful NFL wideout. After a few weeks on the Buffalo practice squad, Foster got a second chance and he’s quite literally run with it.

In the Bills last four games, Foster has provided eight of the team’s 16 pass plays of 20 yards or more.

On Sunday, Buffalo’s deep threat had three, though two were aided by Jets penalties. Foster finished the game with 104 yards on seven catches, his second 100-yard receiving day of the season.

"For an undrafted free agent I think he's done a nice job," said McDermott. "It's a credit to him the way he's developed. He's developed a nice rapport with Josh (Allen). He's started to round out his approach to the game with his preparation and the detail on his routes. And that will only continue to develop."

Since Week 10, when he was promoted back to the active roster, Foster ranks second in the league among rookie receivers with 330 yards. Only Carolina’s D.J. Moore has more (379). The Alabama product also leads the league in yards per game for NFL rookies since week 10 at 82.5.

Foster’s pair of 100-yard receiving games leaves him trailing only Sammy Watkins (4), Glenn Bass (3) and Elbert Dubenion (3) in team history for most 100-yard receiving games by a rookie. And Foster is the only undrafted wideout to produce two 100-yard days in his rookie season.

“I’m proud of him,” said offensive coordinator Brian Daboll. “It hasn’t been easy for him, really, growing up to where he is now. He’s been through a lot and that’s a sign of a mentally tough person is to be able to fight through adversity, concentrate on the things that you can control, doing it to the best of your ability, block the noise out and work hard. When you get the opportunity, make the most of it. He’s done that the last couple of weeks and we need him to continue to do that.”

• Like (+1) 1

Anything is possible for Foster. I said he could be an electrifying #3 to now I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes our #1. He's a raw prospect, good thing is coach Robiskie is a good NFL coach and this is what good NFL coaches do. Mouse McNally did the same thing with Jason Peters. So long as Foster listens to Robiskie he'll develop into a good player, the talent is there.

• Like (+1) 1

He's actually 3rd among rookie WRs (Ridley).  But still impressive.

And again, there is no reason he can't be a #1 WR if he works on his craft and he can easily pack on about 5-10#.  That being said, I'd still look to acquire a #1 WR.

1 minute ago, Mat68 said:

Foster is a keeper.  #1? No.  I say that because you cant scheme away a true #1.  Now I will say he will dictate coverage.  He could become a very good deep threat. 

It will be pretty hard to scheme away a guy with great speed and the ability to separate,  excellent route running and good hands.  I guess you could try to press him at the LOS but that's dangerous. 

18 hours ago, Mat68 said:

Foster is a keeper.  #1? No.  I say that because you cant scheme away a true #1.  Now I will say he will dictate coverage.  He could become a very good deep threat. 

I think there's a good chance that Foster will face a healthy amount of snaps matched up against Darius Slay this week.  If so it will be a good test for him to gauge where he is at this point in his career.  

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

3 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I gotta admit I thought this was a really stupid thread title when it started awhile back...….

but now i'm really starting to wonder. And that's a pretty awesome!!!

He didn't do much for anyone to believe it was in the realm of possibility until recently.  Now that he's actually shown real work ethic regarding putting time into improving his skills with extra practice time honing WR techniques and developing chemistry/timing with Allen the results speak loudly.   It is very much awesome to see such a dramatic in-season turnaround. 

23 hours ago, Mat68 said:

Totally agree. I see Foster as a better and more durable version of Goodwin. His size would put him as a solid #2, but our #1 will be coming out of this draft in Harry or M Brown. 

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He didn't do much for anyone to believe it was in the realm of possibility until recently.  Now that he's actually shown real work ethic regarding putting time into improving his skills with extra practice time honing WR techniques and developing chemistry/timing with Allen the results speak loudly.   It is very much awesome to see such a dramatic in-season turnaround. 

Again, he came to Buffalo with fresh legs. He was flanked by great receivers at Bama, especially Calvin Ridley. Even the running backs (Damien Harris for one) can catch, and they even had a top flight tight end, sometimes 2. There were just so many weapons that he didn't see much action. In this sense he is still learning and a work in progress.

I continue to have very high hopes for him and it looks as if he may even exceed my expectations. :) :) :) 

He is coming along nicely- you can tell he has been working hard- a really pleasant surprise.

23 hours ago, Doc said:

I really hope they can identify some FA OL that are diamonds in the rough.  Same for the draft.

How about a few polished OL diamonds? I dont want to wait around for our linemen to develop and have another offensive cluster of a season.

43 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Maybe watching KB's great work ethic and how it translated into on field success rubbed off on the kid ;)

On 12/11/2018 at 8:54 AM, NewDayBills said:

Anything is possible for Foster. I said he could be an electrifying #3 to now I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes our #1. He's a raw prospect, good thing is coach Robiskie is a good NFL coach and this is what good NFL coaches do. Mouse McNally did the same thing with Jason Peters. So long as Foster listens to Robiskie he'll develop into a good player, the talent is there.

I see him as a #2, Zay as a #3 and we bring in a stud # 1 via FA/draft- lets add in a true TE into the mix as well. 

11 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

He is coming along nicely- you can tell he has been working hard- a really pleasant surprise.

How about a few polished OL diamonds? I dont want to wait around for our linemen to develop and have another offensive cluster of a season.

I'm surprised that his hands and tracking got that much better.  Usually they don't/can't.

As for OL, meant good players who won't cost a ton.

22 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Oh yeah! He was a great mentor!  :lol:

The greatest mentor on what not to do.  Along with what players should watch out for when eating themselves out of the league.  Jordan Burroughs must have felt like he needed to put him on a grapefruit diet when he met the team last year.  

On 9/25/2018 at 8:00 AM, Kirby Jackson said:

Foster is a former 5-star that never lived up to his status at ‘Bama. He was an afterthought and a part-time player. He was a disappointment in his time there from what they expected. Hopes of him becoming a number 1 aren’t at all realistic. We should hope that he learns to track (and catch) the deep ball. If he can develop into a 3 or 4 that can stretch the field he can be a useful player going forward. That’s a ball that Allen is always going to throw. If he can run underneath a few he can be an asset. 

A #4 should be a solid contributor on ST..a stud gunner.Foster is anything but that.He's gone this off season.

11 minutes ago, Doc said:

I'm surprised that his hands and tracking got that much better.  Usually they don't/can't.

As for OL, meant good players who won't cost a ton.

Already went on the cheap for OL and we actually tried guys who looked good during injuries to our key players in Wood, Incognito, and Cordy Glenn.  It builds draft capital for the line as free agency would tap us out.  

Foster has been night and day since being called back up from the PS, I think he can be a solid #2 receiver for this Allen led offense. I like Zay but he has been on and off all season, but I would definitely like to see them add a #1 in the draft.