Do you think Robert Foster can develop to into a #1 receiver?

BBills88

On 12/18/2018 at 10:08 AM, Logic said:

I am starting to believe, contrary to popular opinion, that Foster CAN be a number 1 receiver. I've seen a lot of "oh, he can be a number 2 guy, but he's not a real number 1 receiver in the NFL".

To that I say: Based on what?

Foster currently is averaging 87.6 yards per game. That would put him on a 16-game pace of 1,400 yards. That's number 1 receiver territory. Furthermore, he has the physical skills (size, speed, agility) and, apparently, the work ethic to be great. To those saying that speed receivers can't be #1 receivers, I present Antonio Brown, Emmanuel Sanders, DeSean Jackson (in his prime) from recent vintage, and guys like James Lofton and Steve Largent from the days of yore.

Do I want the Bills to add a "bona fide #1 receiver" type in the draft? Of course. But do I think Foster can be a #1 quality receiver for the Bills regardless of what else they do? Yes, I do.

Its entirely possible. He’s got all the upside, he just has never put it together long term. I’m still skeptical that the light suddenly came on and he instantly learned how to track a ball after years. Odds are he will come with highs and lows. 

On 12/20/2018 at 4:25 PM, C.Biscuit97 said:

Salute the guy for producing.  I still can see him having a huge drop in a crucial moment.  But he has carved out a role.  Good for him.

Foster has done more than carve out a role for himself.  Since his emergence in the first Jets game, the Bills’ offense has looked completely different.  Some of that is the improved play of Allen, of course, but Foster is showing what a huge impact one playmaking WR—even one who was a street free agent—can have on a team.  It’s why adding a true number 1 receiver has to be the Bills’ top draft priority this year, and they probably should draft 2 or 3 WR to try to find one.  Draft a TE, too.

Edited by mannc

On 12/20/2018 at 9:53 AM, 26CornerBlitz said:

LeSean McCoy knew that Robert Foster’s attitude had to be addressed.

Yes, the offense had been struggling to score points. They had been shut out at Green Bay and managed just 13 points in each of their two games that followed. And Foster saw his playing time dwindling with each passing week. But for an undrafted rookie to be grousing about playing time was out of line.

“At the time we weren’t doing well, and everybody was frustrated,” McCoy told Buffalobills.com. “He’s a young kid and he has tons of talent that you can see. I’ve seen players like him before and what they’ve become, but I had to talk to him.”

This is a great story and shows the type of leadership Shady brings to the locker room...even when he is not producing on the field.

Foster sounded a little cocky as an UDFA, the first time. Good job Shady waking him up.

2 hours ago, mannc said:

Foster has done more than carve out a role for himself.  Since his emergence in the first Jets game, the Bills’ offense has looked completely different.  Some of that is the improved play of Allen, of course, but Foster is showing what a huge impact one playmaking WR—even one who was a street free agent—can have on a team.  It’s why adding a true number 1 receiver has to be the Bills’ top draft priority this year, and they probably should draft 2 or 3 WR to try to find one.  Draft a TE, too.

The problem is that they might not be able to upgrade the offense enough in FA so they would need to use the draft to do so.  Drafting 2 to 3 WR would use up valuable resources.  I'd argue that Foster, Jones, and McKenzie, plus maybe a #2 WR in FA, would be a good corps and that drafting a WR high to potentially be a #1 would be the best move.  Then use the remainder of the draft picks to get OL and a TE.

Edited by Doc

...glad this youngster heeded the advice from Shady and McDermott's wake up call....already has more yards than his entire college career.......didn't realize the kid is 6'2", 195 lbs....thought he was Roscoe like......guess I'm in the wrong zip code as usual..........

14 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...glad this youngster heeded the advice from Shady and McDermott's wake up call....already has more yards than his entire college career.......didn't realize the kid is 6'2", 195 lbs....thought he was Roscoe like......guess I'm in the wrong zip code as usual..........

Yup.  That's what having a potential HOF'er and someone young players look up to can do for you, and a reason to keep him around. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I want to see Foster add a 10+ catch day here in one of these last 2 games. A game where we are making an effort to just feed him from the start. See if he can be a complete WR that uses the entire field and route tree. Let’s see where this thing can go.

Yep, there are 2 more games to play this season......let's see how it goes.

2 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I want to see Foster add a 10+ catch day here in one of these last 2 games. A game where we are making an effort to just feed him from the start. See if he can be a complete WR that uses the entire field and route tree. Let’s see where this thing can go.

He's already showing the ability to run more routes that just your typical speed receiver whose job it is to create room for others.  I think Daboll will have the offense designed with Allen reading the defense and targeting the open receiver whether it's Foster or someone else.  New England will try to take him away from Josh. 

I thought the Lions would put Darius Slay on Foster last week, but he was on Zay.  This week I expect it to be Gilmore.  The paragraph below is excerpted from Joe B's 5 things to watch writeup. 

2) Will Foster get the Gilmore treatment?
- Working in Allen’s favor since his return has been the rapid development of undrafted rookie Robert Foster, who has had 100-yard performances — or just short of it — in three of the last four games. However, if there’s one thing that has kept the brilliance of Belichick a step ahead of the rest, he can take away the thing that has brought you the most recent success. And considering that Belichick has Stephon Gilmore in his back pocket, who is one of the best cornerbacks in the NFL right now, I would not be surprised to see Gilmore following Foster around wherever he goes. It’s a tip of the cap to Foster, surely, but also a bit of a challenge from Belichick to prove that he’s not just a flash in the pan taking advantage of the opponent’s second cornerback. Zay Jones has been solid in 2018, but hasn’t done nearly enough to warrant the Gilmore type of treatment, and doesn’t offer the same big-play potential as Foster does. For the undrafted rookie, he needs to show a complete precision on his routes and not just to rely that the threat of his speed will keep the defender off enough for him to gain separation in the underneath areas. Gilmore is a fantastic athlete, a fluid hip mover, and one that can turn and run with the best of them in man coverage. He’ll also get physical with Foster right at the line of scrimmage, even to try and discourage right from the get-go. If the Patriots do stick Gilmore on Foster, this will be a fantastic look for the front office to see what they have in the undrafted player against one of the best in the game.

32 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I thought the Lions would put Darius Slay on Foster last week, but he was on Zay.  This week I expect it to be Gilmore.  The paragraph below is excerpted from Joe B's 5 things to watch writeup. 

- Working in Allen’s favor since his return has been the rapid development of undrafted rookie Robert Foster, who has had 100-yard performances — or just short of it — in three of the last four games. However, if there’s one thing that has kept the brilliance of Belichick a step ahead of the rest, he can take away the thing that has brought you the most recent success. And considering that Belichick has Stephon Gilmore in his back pocket, who is one of the best cornerbacks in the NFL right now, I would not be surprised to see Gilmore following Foster around wherever he goes. It’s a tip of the cap to Foster, surely, but also a bit of a challenge from Belichick to prove that he’s not just a flash in the pan taking advantage of the opponent’s second cornerback. Zay Jones has been solid in 2018, but hasn’t done nearly enough to warrant the Gilmore type of treatment, and doesn’t offer the same big-play potential as Foster does. For the undrafted rookie, he needs to show a complete precision on his routes and not just to rely that the threat of his speed will keep the defender off enough for him to gain separation in the underneath areas. Gilmore is a fantastic athlete, a fluid hip mover, and one that can turn and run with the best of them in man coverage. He’ll also get physical with Foster right at the line of scrimmage, even to try and discourage right from the get-go. If the Patriots do stick Gilmore on Foster, this will be a fantastic look for the front office to see what they have in the undrafted player against one of the best in the game.

8 for 187 and 3 touchdowns.

?

But this does tell me that Jones better rise to the occasion and catch the dang football. 

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

8 for 187 and 3 touchdowns.

?

But this does tell me that Jones better rise to the occasion and catch the dang football. 

Foster's biggest challenge yet given how well Gilmore is playing this season.  Zay has really "dropped" off since his best game as a pro in Miami.  It would be nice to see him have a bounce back game after his previous two poor performances. 

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Actually, I expect the Patriots to have Gilmore shadow Zay Jones all day, and then use bracket coverage with a corner and safety against Robert Foster to prevent the deep ball. Foster will have to win on comeback routes to contribute, and it may be incumbent upon Shady, McKenzie, Clay/Croom, and Allen to produce yards for the offense.

Edited by Logic

34 minutes ago, Logic said:

Actually, I expect the Patriots to have Gilmore shadow Zay Jones all day, and then use bracket coverage with a corner and safety against Robert Foster to prevent the deep ball. Foster will have to win on comeback routes to contribute, and it may be incumbent upon Shady, McKenzie, Clay/Croom, and Allen to produce yards for the offense.

...is Croom now healthy?......use Shady the way they used to use Faulk, torching us underneath.........

6 hours ago, Logic said:

That's why I think D. Thompson will be critical. Allen will need to connect when he gets the opportunity.

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

6'2" 196 lbs is lighter?

Lighter than you'd expect for a number 1 receiver.  Gilmore is physical has battled much bigger receivers.  Can Foster show he has the ability to play through press with a physical corner.  I've seen him blow by guys but can he win a physical battle?  That will be interesting to watch.  

1 minute ago, Buffalo30 said:

Lighter than you'd expect for a number 1 receiver.  Gilmore is physical has battled much bigger receivers.  Can Foster show he has the ability to play through press with a physical corner.  I've seen him blow by guys but can he win a physical battle?  That will be interesting to watch.  

Definitely a matchup I want to see to gauge where Foster is. 

On 9/25/2018 at 6:13 AM, BBills88 said:

They are allowing their young players to develop through live experience, with that being said would it be possible the staff is trying to allow Robert Foster to get the necessary experience to become the number 1 receiver? It happened for a few players throughout the years.

What are your thoughts?

I think he could be our Peerless Price , we have to get our Eric Moulds through draft or free agency 

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

You are not alone there  sir. I too thought he looked a lot shorter. Either 6' 2" is generous (he does look a tad shorter than Zay), or it maybe seeing him next to Allen, KB, Mills, Croom, Thomas etc.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Foster's biggest challenge yet given how well Gilmore is playing this season.  Zay has really "dropped" off since his best game as a pro in Miami.  It would be nice to see him have a bounce back game after his previous two poor performances. 

Zay has been playing against number 1 corners which he cannot beat at this point.  When he isn't the one drawing that attention, I think we will see him back to being more productive.  He's a slot guy.  His talent lies with his route running abilities underneath.  

1 minute ago, Buffalo30 said:

Zay has been playing against number 1 corners which he cannot beat at this point.  When he isn't the one drawing that attention, I think we will see him back to being more productive.  He's a slot guy.  His talent lies with his route running abilities underneath.  

He relies on scheme more than talent to get open looks.  He's not great at all in unplastering. 

18 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He relies on scheme more than talent to get open looks.  He's not great at all in unplastering. 

He's a complimentary piece in a wide receiver unit.  He's not a go to guy.  He's not going to win those man to man matchups all day like you are saying.  I think adding another receiver ahead of Jones will make his life easier.  Hoping he steps up in his third year having a full offseason with Allen.  Having Foster, Jones and Mckenzie looks like a good complimentary unit of receivers.  A top target is needed though.  

11 hours ago, Putin said:

I think he could be our Peerless Price , we have to get our Eric Moulds through draft or free agency 

I'm thinking more James Lofton and hoping they get a Reed or Moulds type through the draft.

4 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

You are not alone there  sir. I too thought he looked a lot shorter. Either 6' 2" is generous (he does look a tad shorter than Zay), or it maybe seeing him next to Allen, KB, Mills, Croom, Thomas etc.

He was measured at  6' 1-5/8" (and 196#) at the Combine. 

As expected, Foster was covered for most of the day by Gilmore and he was able to beat one of the NFL's best on a number of occasions.  Gilmore definitely showed respect for his speed after getting singed on the deep route that Foster lost track of the ball in the sun. There was also the another pass on 4th down that he got a hand after making an adjustment in the end zone on that some people consider a drop. Could have again been a huge day for him, but overall he was pretty good (4 catches for 52 yards) with his arrow still pointing up.

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

As expected, Foster was covered for most of the day by Gilmore and he was able to beat one of the NFL's best on a number of occasions.  Gilmore definitely showed respect for his speed after getting singed on the deep route that Foster lost track of the ball in the sun. There was also the another pass on 4th down that he got a hand after making an adjustment in the end zone on that some people consider a drop. Could have again been a huge day for him, but overall he was pretty good (4 catches for 52 yards) with his arrow still pointing up.

Losing the TD in the sun was so Bills-versus-Cheaters, isn't it?  Ugh.  I stopped watching after Hauschka missed the gimme FG.

It's amazing what Robert Foster has done. An UDFA that goes to an NFL team and essentially becomes the #1. I mean you really have to hand it to the guy, he really worked hard. He is our best receiver and this is coming from a Zay Jones loyalist. He earned my respect this year, doubt he is our #1 next year but he'd be damn good at that #2 spot with Zay in the slot and with McKenzie as our #4. Definitely need a true #1 though. All of our receivers need to get bumped down a spot, we're missing just one more guy. 

3 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

It's amazing what Robert Foster has done. An UDFA that goes to an NFL team and essentially becomes the #1. I mean you really have to hand it to the guy, he really worked hard. He is our best receiver and this is coming from a Zay Jones loyalist. He earned my respect this year, doubt he is our #1 next year but he'd be damn good at that #2 spot with Zay in the slot and with McKenzie as our #4. Definitely need a true #1 though. All of our receivers need to get bumped down a spot, we're missing just one more guy. 

With two games worth of tape, these guys were exposed for what they are.   If you think that Bills wideouts are only missing one player, you're delusional. 

Zay's production only comes when the defenses don't care about him.  Foster is the No. 1 only because the other guys are hot garbage. McKenzie is no more than a #5 guy.  Bills need 3 new wide outs and 2 new TEs.   

Just now, GG said:

With two games worth of tape, these guys were exposed for what they are.   If you think that Bills wideouts are only missing one player, you're delusional. 

Zay's production only comes when the defenses don't care about him.  Foster is the No. 1 only because the other guys are hot garbage. McKenzie is no more than a #5 guy.  Bills need 3 new wide outs and 2 new TEs.   

Nah. I'm very much in touch with reality, Bills need an elite #1 and we're in very good shape. We do need a real TE though, Croom can be a solid #2 but I think Albert O or Caleb Wilson in RDS 2-3 would benefit us greatly. 

I think Foster has a good chance to be a good #2 WR.  McKenzie has a shot at being a serviceable #4.

Croom has a shot at being an ok #2 TE.  

We need 2 more WR's a TE and a new starting RB who is quick that can catch the ball well.  Along with 3 more O-linemen.  

We cant get it all in one off season but we can address most of it if Beane does his job effectively.

• Like (+1) 1