Do you think Robert Foster can develop to into a #1 receiver?

BBills88

12 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I'll bet you everything you own he doesn't. You don't know what you're talking about. 

Maybe not 350, but I 300 is a real possibility.  How many more yards would he have if his receivers actually caught his passes? There was about 5 that went right through hands yesterday alone.  

Buffalo Bills: Robert Foster Went from Undrafted to Top Target

IISXxOOX?format=jpg&name=600x314

The release of Kelvin Benjamin seemingly made Zay Jones the number one receiver for the Buffalo Bills.

But Jones has not had back-to-back 100-yard performances and he is not averaging nearly 25 yards per reception. Those stats belong to Robert Foster.

Foster, undrafted out of Alabama, had another huge game on Sunday. He caught four balls for 108 yards and had the go-ahead touchdown in the win over the Detroit Lions. This came one week after he had 104 receiving yards in the loss to the New York Jets.

It seems like the Bills have found something in Foster.

I am not sure if Foster can be a WR2 but I am starting to think he might be. A few weeks ago I though Zay was a WR3 and Foster a WR4 gadget type. Now I am thinking Zay is a bubble WR3 or high end depth WR4 while Foster is a WR3 in the mold of Tyler Gabriel with potential to be a burner WR2. I still would still want the team to try and find 2 proven WR or 1 vet and draft a WR high up. But Foster has made me more of a believer. 

Foster is just such an interesting case. Obviously there have been many UDFA success stories in the NFL in the past. But typically those are guys who were very successful college players who get overlooked for some reason by the NFL wether it be speed, level of competition, whatever. Foster is the opposite, a big time recruit, a guy who did very little in his college career, went undrafted, and is putting up good numbers. He has more recieving yards this year than he had his entire college career. To me it is such an interesting case and I can't think of any others like it. Even Matt Cassel, who didn't even play in college much got drafted in the seventh round. 

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I really believe if Foster was, lets say a day 2 pick, I think more people would say he's capable of being a #1.  WR's typically take time to develop and it's usually after year 1.  Foster has developed in a 1/2 a year and accelerated after being cut.  It's really impressive.

I agree 100%. How many more 100 yd games does the rookie need before we can start at least realistically entertaining the fact he might just be the guy? 

I’m already there, as far as it being a real possibility. 

With many accolades starting to come his way, I hope he stays humble and hungry.

FOSTER SHINES

That said, rookie Robert Foster has come on of late and Sunday finished the game with four receptions for 108 yards. Foster has very good size and excellent speed but he is very raw. He still is a work in progress. I have seen his route running improve, but he still has a long ways to go. Don’t forget, Foster was an undrafted free agent coming out of college and there was a reason for that.

Coming out of high school, Foster was a 5-star recruit but was never able to become a full time player while at Alabama. He finished his career with only 31 receptions. His scouting report was that he was a better athlete than a player. Don’t forget, reality is Alabama’s receiver corps was better than the Bills is right now. Had Foster gone to a different school he would have gotten much more playtime and been further developed. Because of his great athleticism he could have a bright future but the onus is on him to do the work required during this coming off-season.
  • Like (+1) 1

I am starting to believe, contrary to popular opinion, that Foster CAN be a number 1 receiver. I've seen a lot of "oh, he can be a number 2 guy, but he's not a real number 1 receiver in the NFL".

To that I say: Based on what?

Foster currently is averaging 87.6 yards per game. That would put him on a 16-game pace of 1,400 yards. That's number 1 receiver territory. Furthermore, he has the physical skills (size, speed, agility) and, apparently, the work ethic to be great. To those saying that speed receivers can't be #1 receivers, I present Antonio Brown, Emmanuel Sanders, DeSean Jackson (in his prime) from recent vintage, and guys like James Lofton and Steve Largent from the days of yore.

Do I want the Bills to add a "bona fide #1 receiver" type in the draft? Of course. But do I think Foster can be a #1 quality receiver for the Bills regardless of what else they do? Yes, I do.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Logic said:

I am starting to believe, contrary to popular opinion, that Foster CAN be a number 1 receiver. I've seen a lot of "oh, he can be a number 2 guy, but he's not a real number 1 receiver in the NFL".

To that I say: Based on what?

Foster currently is averaging 87.6 yards per game. That would put him on a 16-game pace of 1,400 yards. That's number 1 receiver territory. Furthermore, he has the physical skills (size, speed, agility) and, apparently, the work ethic to be great. To those saying that speed receivers can't be #1 receivers, I present Antonio Brown, Emmanuel Sanders, DeSean Jackson (in his prime) from recent vintage, and guys like James Lofton and Steve Largent from the days of yore.

Do I want the Bills to add a "bona fide #1 receiver" type in the draft? Of course. But do I think Foster can be a #1 quality receiver for the Bills regardless of what else they do? Yes, I do.

AJ Green and Julio Jones are plenty fast as well.

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

AJ Green and Julio Jones are plenty fast as well.

Yeah, that's the other thing: It's not as if Foster is JUST fast. He's 6"2'. He's also not just running Go routes. He's running a pretty full route tree at this point.

Receiver is also a position that is historically difficult to succeed at as a rookie. Yet here comes this undrafted kid and he's already producing at a top 20 pace from a yardage standpoint. His ceiling is high.

• Like (+1) 3

On 12/17/2018 at 1:57 AM, purple haze said:

Calvin Ridley and Julio Jones had a lot of production.  All depends on their QB at the time.  They have top recruits, like Foster, who are stuck in line behind other top recruits.  But unlike at other programs, backups can get a shot, because Saban runs that program like the kids are professionals.   Which is why kids go there.  Vicious cycle for all the other teams.

Both of those guys were number 1 wideouts on their team.  Alabama runs most of the time and don't utilize wide receivers past the number 1 guy on a consistent basis.  Foster gets behind in the depth chart and they don't throw the ball...tough combo for me to want to sign their if I'm a top recruit as a wide receiver.  I'd much rather go to a team that primarily throws the ball and uses it's 2nd and 3rd receivers and so on.  

uaxutxn9gtuib5id3cev.jpg

3X: Robert Foster’s 100-plus yard receiving day Sunday gave him his third such game of the season. He is now the only undrafted free agent in team history to post three 100-yard receiving games in a season, and he’s the first Bills player to do so since Sammy Watkins in 2015.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

LeSean McCoy knew that Robert Foster’s attitude had to be addressed.

Yes, the offense had been struggling to score points. They had been shut out at Green Bay and managed just 13 points in each of their two games that followed. And Foster saw his playing time dwindling with each passing week. But for an undrafted rookie to be grousing about playing time was out of line.

“At the time we weren’t doing well, and everybody was frustrated,” McCoy told Buffalobills.com. “He’s a young kid and he has tons of talent that you can see. I’ve seen players like him before and what they’ve become, but I had to talk to him.”

• Like (+1) 3

Robert Foster

I recently detailed how Foster is thriving in his current situation in Buffalo. His talent in college never lead to much production because of injuries and being stuck behind Calvin Ridley, and I likely underrated his traits as a result.

Despite labeling Foster as a potential Day 3 selection or priority UDFA due to his obvious athleticism, his play during his rookie season has exceeded even the most bullish of expectations.

Now with 94+ yards in four of his last five games, Foster is 5th among rookie wide receivers in yards for the season. At his current pace, he could continue to move up that ranking.

With budding chemistry for rookie quarterback Josh Allen, we could be hearing from this young duo for years to come.