Are We The Worst Bills Fans Since The Polian Years?

Rob's House

1 minute ago, Buftex said:

I like McDermott, and I will always defend his decision to start Peterman last year, and this year.  Last year, people seem to forget, that the offense under Tyrod was absolutely anemic...perhaps McDermott mis-read how ready Peterman was, but he was absolutely justified in trying to give his team some sort of spark.   This year, by all measures, Peterman "won" whatever QB competition there was during the pre-season.  I gurantee, 2/3 of NFL coaches, in the same position, would have done the same thing.

My biggest complaints revolve around some (not all) of Beanes' personnel decisions.  I think trading McCarron was a really cocky, and kinda dumb move.  It's fantastic that we may have found (fingers crossed) our QB of the future, but if something happens to him, they just can't go back to Peterman...and as far as I know, they still haven't done anything to address this issue. But I think they are getting a little too cute with some of the trades and creating holes they didn't necessarily have to create. 

McDermott is on solid ground as far as I am concerned.  After all the BS of the first two weeks, I give him as much credit as anyone for keeping this team focused enough to pull off that win yesterday. 

Agreed except for starting Peterman last season.

Edited by BmarvB

1 hour ago, PeterDude said:

No, we are not bad fans for expecting the Bills to be a competent NFL franchise.  It's long overdue, and McBeane have made a lot of head scratching moves tbh.

Do you realize those are different posters?  schizophrenic does not apply...  After a win you hear primarily from one group, after a loss primarily from another.  I suspect this is the case on ALL NFL team message boards as well as social media.  

Many of we doubters still doubt, but give credit to those that had great games like Hughes, and Allen, who showed a lot of positive potential. Everyone tries to define exactly what a fan is, and  for everyone, it is different. I do believe that being a fan does not mean you must always blindly worship all the players, coaches, and management like many do. I do not wear rose colored glasses and sip the Kool-aid. Some do, obviously.

And often the more level headed and realistic posters just let the other type of fan enjoy their Kool-aid with others like them out of a courtesy to them when they get a special win like this past weekend, not because they still don't doubt the overall quality of the coaching, specific players or the management.

Edited by simpleman

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

I would say the loyalty we showed over 17 years of not make the playoffs gives us some room to criticize.  The team was abysmal the first two weeks.  Some may have gone overboard but if you don't want your fans to criticize you, don't lose 47-3 to the Baltimore Raves (not a powerhouse team), then follow it up with **** performance in the first half of the home opener.  WTF were fans supposed to say after that.

2 hours ago, Rob's House said:

Yes. Yes we are.

We gave the guy who broke the streak all of 2 games before declaring him an idiot and a fool and calling for his head. We suck.

there were a handful of posters doing this.  they always manage to shout the loudest and manage to seem to be the majority when something goes wrong.  notice the boards today?  some special posters are no where to be found.  i just don't understand why some people live to tear down, but when there's something good to celebrate...crickets.

• Haha (+1) 1

The current state of the board is more a product of the times we live in.   Way back in the day when I was a lad and we'd watch guys like Warren Rabb do stupid things, we would complain at the lunch table at school, and our dads would complain over the water cooler and so on.  We'd read Larry Felser or Jim Peters be critical of certain moves.  But we got over it pretty quickly, and moved on to the next game.  I remember from like 1967-1971/72, when we had guys like Dan Darraugh and coaches like John Rauch trying to use OJ as a decoy, and two teams that each won 1 game per season. We'd holler even louder over the lunch table, and our Dad's would hang out at Costello's (and we'd hang out with them) and complain.  But they were our team, and as much as we'd complain we always rooted for them.  And as much as we might have called for Lou's head at times in the 60's, when our championship coach came back  and put together the electric Company and got OJ going we cheered for Saban.  And when he bailed on us again we thought he was a bum.  But those feelings generally didn't last that long.

Fast forward to today.  We now live in an era where it's not just Larry Felser we get information from, it is a myriad of sites, some of whom seem knowledgeable and some of whom seem to write columns that anyone on the board could write.  So folks can find anyone they want to support whatever opinion they have.  Plus in the Internet era, folks have been programmed to get what they want right now; patience is no longer a virtue.   And it allows folks to voice truly vitriolic opinions in a completely anonymous manner which has raised the level of spite and uninformed ranting to an art form. 

So are we better or worse fans than we were back when I started in 1960?  In some ways both.  Bills fans have always been borderline crazy; it's in our DNA.  We're better now because we have more exposure to the game, to commentary, and such.  We're worse because that same increased level of exposure has caused some fans to become completely unrealistic and over the top critical, to the point where they'd rather see the Bills lose and be right about something they spouted off on in a chat room.  No matter how bad they played at times in the 60's/70's and no matter how much we may have booed, they were still our team.  NO one back then would have ever thought to want to have them lose just to prove a point.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Prepare for disappointment. This was always going to be a down year. And Im fine with giving McBeane an off year after they got rid of the playoff drought.

Drought gone.

Blue Chip QB Prospect acquired.

One step at a time. They should have 2 more seasons after this one to build and install their plan.

I won't be accepting regression. There is no reason for regression in my eyes

In that case I will be very vocally disappointed. There are no off years in the NFL you either find a way or you get crapped on. The best franchises can find away, losers accept regression as normal...

2 hours ago, No Place To Hyde said:

DON'T LOOK ETHEL!!!!

Too late.. She'd already been mooned

2 hours ago, sleeby said:

Most schizophrenic anyhow.  Each week this season so far has seen a 180 reversal in attitude.  Likely just the haters are quiet today.  

I'm declaring this season a success at week three.  We know we have the QB and the coaches; and the process! Just stay healthy and keep learning is all that matters this fall.  

The guy above who already alluded to being ready to complain if they don't repeat that level of performance each week now is clearly negative.  kid's had 2.5 games in his career and his WRs can't catch.   Lol

Last week I mentioned Allen didn't look great and I had some concerns because there were more than a few really crappy off target throws and ill advised throws made.  I was attacked for making the observation and was instantly labeled some sort of hater. I still have no idea why but hey welcome to the stupidity that is the internet. Nothing schizo about it.. It was a very real and obvious observation everyone with eyeballs could make themselves.

What it really boils down to is most posters just can not accept opinion and observation that does not match their opinion on the matter and then get bent out of shape because of it. This morphs itself into week long B word fests for too many.

As for not accepting regression.  My expectations this year is to make the playoffs again, and at worst at least be in position for the wild card. For those who are OK with goin 6-10 or 4-12 this year good luck to ya, but if we are going to be that bad of a football team then you can bet the farm a lot of it has to do with the QB position / play. IMO if any QB is going to prove to be franchise they will not let this team fall to last place in the AFC East which I get the feeling some are accepting this year. 

Allen looked solid with throws on target and on the road this week, I expect him to continue to get better and not regress. Mistakes will happen but there is a very big difference between making mistakes and regressing. 

We beat a top team on the road. My expectations are now raised for the rest of the year as this is the level of play I expect week in and out.... Yes I will be pissed when we lose 

30 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

I won't be accepting regression. There is no reason for regression in my eyes

In that case I will be very vocally disappointed. There are no off years in the NFL you either find a way or you get crapped on. The best franchises can find away, losers accept regression as normal...

Too late.. She'd already been mooned

I mean, or else what? You're going to pop off on a message board the team will never see? And just generally annoy other fans?

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

I mean, or else what? You're going to pop off on a message board the team will never see? And just generally annoy other fans?

Why would you even bother asking something like this. Or is there now a guide line to what can be posted and what can not.

I will make my observation call it as I see it maybe have a small discussion about it then move along. If they regress to a 4-12 or 6- 10 team then I won't be alone. Many will make posts / comments and everyone will be pissy.

What was the point of your reply to me seemed like a very annoying thing to post

15 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

Why would you even bother asking something like this. Or is there now a guide line to what can be posted and what can not.

I will make my observation call it as I see it maybe have a small discussion about it then move along. If they regress to a 4-12 or 6- 10 team then I won't be alone. Many will make posts / comments and everyone will be pissy.

What was the point of your reply to me seemed like a very annoying thing to post

It just seems like youre trying to be annoyed. With the Bills, with me, etc. That's all. For a regime that got rid of the playoff drought and is trying to right almost 50 years of wrongs. It might not be overnight. I'm not saying they get a free pass forever, but calling for regime changes every 2 years will just keep you miserable. Give them a chance.

But I guess you guys can all put a billboard up?

7 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

It just seems like youre trying to be annoyed. With the Bills, with me, etc. That's all. For a regime that got rid of the playoff drought and is trying to right almost 50 years of wrongs. It might not be overnight. I'm not saying they get a free pass forever, but calling for regime changes every 2 years will just keep you miserable. Give them a chance.

But I guess you guys can all put a billboard up?

I am not trying to be, but after weeks 1 and 2 I was very much annoyed... Glad to see them rebound in a MAJOR way... I do expect them to play like last week and never play like Week 1 and 2 again. If they play crappy football I will call them as I see them.. If they play great football the rest of the year I will call them as I see them. The difference being losing brings out grouchiness, losing and playing embarrassing bad means nobody gets a chance, winning brings out happiness and winning like last week brings out the snoopy dance posts.

the 20 year drought was long enough, and it was met with people being annoyed, angry and sad.... nobody wants to taste that again, and again after weeks 1 and 2 we were labeled as beyond pathetic...  

SO it has nothing to do with me trying to be anything.. it has everything to do with how they play, how they lose and how they win.

12 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

I am not trying to be, but after weeks 1 and 2 I was very much annoyed... Glad to see them rebound in a MAJOR way... I do expect them to play like last week and never play like Week 1 and 2 again. . . . The difference being losing brings out grouchiness, losing and playing embarrassing bad means nobody gets a chance, winning brings out happiness and winning like last week brings out the snoopy dance posts.

It's a game.  You're a fan and so it's hobby or entertainment and not a career.  How the Bills perform should not affect your life or your families lives - such as affording college for the kids.  

You might want to re-evaluate how the NFL is affecting you is all as it sounds a bit askew.  If you're grouchy all week due to a football game then there's a great opportunity for self improvement.

Edited by sleeby

10 minutes ago, sleeby said:

It's a game.  You're a fan and so it's hobby or entertainment and not a career.  How the Bills perform should not affect your life or your families lives - such as affording college for the kids.  

You might want to re-evaluate how the NFL is affecting you is all as it sounds a bit askew.  If you're grouchy all week due to a football game then there's a great opportunity for self improvement.

LMAO where are you getting this from... Every single fan on this board will be grouchy if we suffer a loss and extremely grouchy if we suffer a blow out loss. It comes with the territory of being a fan.

What or where did I say something that makes you think I needs this little pep talk from you.. Or did you read 2 posts of mine and decided I needed a good talking too ???

trust me there are many others that need this speech before you give it to me

Edited by ddaryl

5 hours ago, Rob's House said:

Yes. Yes we are.

We gave the guy who broke the streak all of 2 games before declaring him an idiot and a fool and calling for his head. We suck.

I hope your not taking about the new backup QB for the Browns. Taylor had about as much to do with the Bills making the playoffs as Trent Dilfer had when the 2000 Ravens won the SB.

3 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I hope your not taking about the new backup QB for the Browns. Taylor had about as much to do with the Bills making the playoffs as Trent Dilfer had when the 2000 Ravens won the SB.

He's not.

Thread title is a play on words from a similar topic that was calling for the firing of McD and Beane after 2 games.

5 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

No, negativity is more visible due to the internet whereas the most negative fan two generations ago was only heard in his neighborhood.

Couldn't disagree more.

The vast majority of users at this forum are kool aid drinking types who are here to blindly support the team.

They are by far the vocal majority.

We tend to hear very few negative voices b/c they are the lurkers, not wanting to rock the boat.

5 hours ago, Dadonkadonk said:

No. Most on here had no issue with McD except his decision to start Peterman.  

Many including me question Beane. But I’ve posted multiple times, if Allen is a franchise QB and Edmunds is a star, then the picks given up won’t matter. The dead cap is all on Beane and no one can honestly say they would rather have KB instead of Watkins. Star is playing better than I thought but Dareus is still a better player and the cost next year is not that less.

Imagine having neither receiver today.  That's where they would be.  Sammy wasn't resigning here.  On second thought, addition by subtraction maybe?

49 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

LMAO where are you getting this from... Every single fan on this board will be grouchy if we suffer a loss and extremely grouchy if we suffer a blow out loss. It comes with the territory of being a fan.

What or where did I say something that makes you think I needs this little pep talk from you.. Or did you read 2 posts of mine and decided I needed a good talking too ???

trust me there are many others that need this speech before you give it to me

I'm 51 yrs old and I HAD to learn that football isn't life. As bad as we've been for the last 2 decades, that was the healthiest thing I've done. Root, but live your real life. Now, I did miss the game because I felt an ass whooping coming and didn't feel like wasting an afternoon watching crap football. Boy, was I wrong! Now I'll end up watching the GB game. Should be fun.

"We"? Speak for yourselves. Anyone who was "calling for Beane and McDermott's head" after the first two games of what is widely acknowledged as a rebuilding, take-your-cap-medicine season with a rookie QB at the helm is probably a reactionary dingbat. 

Anyone with even a lick of common sense would not want to see a GM fired in his FIRST FULL OFFSEASON with the team, for pete's sake! Ditto the head coach who led the team to the playoffs just one year prior.

"We". Pffffff.

9 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Couldn't disagree more.

The vast majority of users at this forum are kool aid drinking types who are here to blindly support the team.

They are by far the vocal majority.

We tend to hear very few negative voices b/c they are the lurkers, not wanting to rock the boat.

Within this single forum, maybe, yeah I could agree with. But everywhere else online, especially social media, it's a pretty negative, surly bunch. Almost exclusively.

I can't say the fans here are the worst since the Polian era or any era for that matter.  Many of the fans here have never seen winning years.   These same fans also grew up in the era of instant gratification with the internet and hand held devices changing the way we communicate and also changing the AMOUNT we communicate.   I think these factors have a lot to do with the behavior.  The idea of wanting to fire McDermott and Beane after one season is absurd but many here were calling for it change and upheaval is all they know.  Given this I try to be patient with this line of thinking. 

5 hours ago, Rob's House said:

Yes. Yes we are.

A majority of overly-emotional, crying over spilt milk fans, yes.

Lets face it, our head coach has more mental toughness than our entire fanbase.

Fact.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

I can only speak for myself, but it is eerily similar to being in an abusive relationship.  After the beating the team puts on me, they tell me they love me (win yesterday) and everything will be better and different.  Then, when they lose, I feel sad again.  

We call it BBFS around here (Battered Bills Fan Syndrome) and it's been a point of discussion for at least a decade. It's real.

• Like (+1) 1

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 12:01 PM, Dopey said:

I'm 51 yrs old and I HAD to learn that football isn't life. As bad as we've been for the last 2 decades, that was the healthiest thing I've done. Root, but live your real life. Now, I did miss the game because I felt an ass whooping coming and didn't feel like wasting an afternoon watching crap football. Boy, was I wrong! Now I'll end up watching the GB game. Should be fun.

I definitely do not get wrapped up in football the way others do. but there is no denying there is emotional involvement that lasts after the games are played. 

But I do have expectations for the team to not suck, and I do not accept that we have to be worse this year.

If they play like they did in Minnesota we are a playoff caliber team. If we play like weeks 1 and 2 I'll slowly stop watching for the year and start looking at the offseason in December.