any WR's potential trade targets?

Pete

There just isnt a lot of WR's out there that are WORTH trading for that are ALSO available.  I think the move is to sign Dez personally on a 1 year deal.  We need some fire in that WR group because KB looks like he could care less, and the other guys are meh or raw.  

3 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

Amari Cooper ? 

Gruden is in love with Cooper, not happening.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

5 hours ago, aristocrat said:

I think a thing hurting our culture is wrs dropping balls left and right. If he catches balls nobody cares what he does 

I couldn't disagree more. This *team* just played it's most cohesive game to date under McD, and that's because of the team first mentality. Looking across the talent board, the Bills are still climbing out of the hole and they just shut the Vikings down on both sides of the ball. You can say it was a trap game for them, and to some degree that's fair. But to the larger extent Buffalo just man-handled that team which is more than a trap game issue for Minny, it was great preparation and everyone buying-in to the vision McD (and Beane) have for the team.

I think McD and the team showed last year when you get the right group of guys in synergy, they can collectively overcome the weaknesses of the individual - the antithesis to what Dez stands for which is, "me first". Now, he was a talented receiver at one point and part of why Romo being so good, but the page has turned in Buffalo and they want the right receivers, not just talented ones. Consider how Allen looked with the group he had yesterday and then imagine what it can look like next year and the years after when you can get talented receivers who are also about team first. That's when you'll see the Offense reach its potential. 

Edited by BigBuff423
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I am not saying don't try to win. I am saying don't give any assets for the future to win now in a season that likely isn't resulting in the playoffs in any event. We made the KB move at 5-2 last year with a weak wildcard field. If you get to 5-2 and the wildcard field looks weak then sure throw your chips in. We are 1-2. No more band aids. Build this team the right way for the long term. If our QB is legit we could actually contend as early as next year with the assets we have to throw at that offseason. 

Then Dez is a good choice. He’d just cost cash/cap and it could be a heavily incentivized contract.

17 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Yea- i dont think they would lose a depth receiver in a situation like that.  An injury could really hamper what theyre trying to do IE. super bowl aspirations.

Yeah i havent really looked at their total WR depth chart. 

6 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

How about Cooper? The Raiders are going into a full rebuild and he doesn’t appear to be buying into Gruden.

If he doesn't cost us much I'd be okay with it. Still more in favor of just riding out this season and using our resources to build in the offseason. But that's a solid possibility given Gruden's shake up.

Another seemingly wild trade that will never happen but I'd be okay with? Shady for Bell - don't get me wrong, love Shady and the guy is great. But I never particularly enjoyed his running style of either -5 yds or 30 after changing field. He's good in open space which always causes matchup issues, but I've just always preferred Bell. Wild scenario is Bell never comes back and signs with Pittsburgh, and we either trade for his contract starting next year, or pursue him in the offseason. Enjoyed watching Ivory play with everything we needed from that position yesterday, gotta say.

Edited by ctk232

2 hours ago, DtownB2 said:

Imagine if we still had Robert Woods / Marquise Goodwin? Either would be a major upgrade

Very few if any wanted either one of these guys. Especially what they got from other teams. A lot of ignorant statements over the years about both guys. Sammy too.

I thought Woods was overpaid by the Rams, possibly wasted here, and wouldn't have re-signed anyway.  Goodwin I thought cared more about his Olympic dream than football.  And Watkins was a tease and no way worth what the Bills would have had to pay to keep him.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

It would have to be a contract until the end of this season.  I'm committing no money in future years to Dez Bryant. 

I don’t think that’s be an issue. Dez would want a 1 year deal so he could get a better deal next season. 

14 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Antonio Brown tomorrow after the Bucs blow out Pittsburg 56-7 and Ben retires?

Not that I think we should trade for him, but this is the year that Larry Fitzgerald finally gets his freedom to chase a ring... right? 

I like the idea of going after Antonio Brown. he already hinted at the fact that he should be traded and is not in the good books with the coaches and team.

Hope the Steelers trade Bell and we trade McCoy to the Steelers for Brown.

17 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Have we not learned out lesson from last year? Do NOT trade anything here for a receiver another team has "had enough" of.  There is normally a good reason why said team have had enough. And look.... even after yesterday I don't think this is a playoff team.  My pre-season prediction was 6-10. After weeks 1 and 2 I was worried that was wildly optimistic but after yesterday I still think we likely end up around that mark. Keep our assets. Lots of cap space and 10 draft picks. There is a real chance to start making this team good pretty quickly if what we saw out of Josh Allen yesterday is for real.

Generally, yes, but there’s a bit of a sweet spot with bonus already paid and limited guarantees.

if for the right price (saaaay maybe a 4)we can get a 2 year rental... it might make sense to give allen a weapon and take pressure off a rookie WR next year

15 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I just don't see the point of throwing assets at more band aids for this year. If we lose some games because Robert Foster can't catch a perfectly thrown dime by Josh Allen what does it matter? People are not stupid, they will still be able to see Josh's production. Benjamin on the first drive, Clay in the endzone and Foster down the sideline should all have made those plays. I count them all in my evaluation of our Quarterback yesterday. This year more than almost any I can remember as a Bills fan will not be judged by Ws and Ls.

I don’t think it matters as far as judging Allen like you said, but it matters if you have winnable games that you don’t win bc dudes can’t catch.

4 hours ago, Codyny13 said:

I don’t think it matters as far as judging Allen like you said, but it matters if you have winnable games that you don’t win bc dudes can’t catch.

Why? Do we honestly think this is a playoff year? Personally I don't but I think with the resources we have next offseason 2019 and 2020 are years where if we spend well and Josh is the guy we can contend. We are gonna lose some games this year. And it will suck. But I would ride it out keep my assets in my pocket and really try and build quickly next offseason. 

We need our draft picks for OT, C, CB and WR talent. Let's just sit tight and see how FA unfolds next offseason instead of making a bad deal. If it looks like we have a legitimate shot at the playoffs just before the trade deadline, maybe we reconsider. Focus on the future. This is still the same team that lost 3-47 on opening day. 1 win was great, but you're getting WAY ahead of yourself.

22 hours ago, PeterDude said:

I think they just have to wait until next offseason, make do with what they have.  This is likely not a playoff season anyways. They traded for KB last season and it pretty much has backfired on them.  I want to see them hold on to draft capital and not trade it away on marginal veteran players.

But drafting high for WR also has not helped...Jones has done nothing on the other side.

8 hours ago, ganesh said:

But drafting high for WR also has not helped...Jones has done nothing on the other side.

This is where, you know, talent evaluation comes in.  Zay Jones vs. Smith-Shuster etc...  McDermott is the one who traded up for and selected Jones, maybe Beane will do a better job evaluating WR talent that McDermott + Whaley's staff.

Edited by PeterDude

Trading for a good but over-the-hill WR is not going to help the team to the SB.  We need future draft picks and cap space.  What we should do is cycle through other teams practice squads and give tryouts to guys they are trying to hide there.   This is sort of like getting mulligans on four 3rd round draft picks.

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Why? Do we honestly think this is a playoff year? Personally I don't but I think with the resources we have next offseason 2019 and 2020 are years where if we spend well and Josh is the guy we can contend. We are gonna lose some games this year. And it will suck. But I would ride it out keep my assets in my pocket and really try and build quickly next offseason. 

I get what you’re saying and my expectations are not at the playoff level, but that being said, it sounds like you don’t even want to try and win. I’m def not on board in giving up a high pick for somebody but I’m not against bringing in a player like Maclin that costs us nothing and will be close to the vet minimum, maybe a couple million a year. Will you feel different if this team is around the 6-6 mark?

58 minutes ago, Codyny13 said:

I get what you’re saying and my expectations are not at the playoff level, but that being said, it sounds like you don’t even want to try and win. I’m def not on board in giving up a high pick for somebody but I’m not against bringing in a player like Maclin that costs us nothing and will be close to the vet minimum, maybe a couple million a year. Will you feel different if this team is around the 6-6 mark?

I do want to win. I just want no more sticking plasters. If they can get a guy to come in for a couple of mill just for the rest of this year then fine. Otherwise I'd rather ride this year out. If they are 5-2 at the trade deadline again then sure I might see it different. I don't think they will be but if they are let's revisit. 

• Like (+1) 1

Dez?   No.  Why?  We are not pushing for a SB this year nor next.  Why waste anything on that?  

We do have shady to trade.  He's not part of our future when we're hopeful contenders in a two to four years.  Rest shady and then set him loose on a poor team in week 5 and hope he looks great - then trade him for a younger, good WR who is not hated by his team.  Find a contender team who has surplus WR and a need for an RB asap.  No idea who that may be.  

Or an O lineman who is also younger.  Those two areas we need more than one new player each and so draft alone will not likely get it done.

Edited by sleeby

14 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Wonder if we could get TB to trade us one of Godwin or Humphries...doubt it though 

I think Humphries could be had as he's an expiring contract anyways. I'd rather just pursue him in free agency if we must though. Godwin is probably near untouchable though. I imagine they envision him being the #2 WR there for a long time.

Edited by DCOrange

On 9/24/2018 at 7:25 AM, aristocrat said:

I think a thing hurting our culture is wrs dropping balls left and right. If he catches balls nobody cares what he does 

Sure they do- this new regime does not want me first types in the locker room. This is all about team first, family, and being accountable to each other. If we wanted Dez this would have already happened. Also, Dez has lost a step and dropped alot of balls last year.

38 minutes ago, sleeby said:

Dez?   No.  Why?  We are not pushing for a SB this year nor next.  Why waste anything on that?  

We do have shady to trade.  He's not part of our future when we're hopeful contenders in a two to four years.  Rest shady and then set him loose on a poor team in week 5 and hope he looks great - then trade him for a younger, good WR who is not hated by his team.  Find a contender team who has surplus WR and a need for an RB asap.  No idea who that may be.  

Or an O lineman who is also younger.  Those two areas we need more than one new player each and so draft alone will not likely get it done.

Shady is a team captain and excellent in the locker room- they wont trade him, imo. I think after his contract is up they wont resign him. 

13 minutes ago, Buftex said:

It likely won't happen now, but I really wanted the Bills to make an offer to the Bucs for Chris Godwin, during the off-season.  The Bucs have a glut of great receivers/tight ends...Godwin is fast, a really good run blocker, and good hands. 

Maybe if we dangle Peterman they will bite.  I mean there are still some who think he can be a great starter around here, maybe we can have those guys call the Bucs on behalf the Bills and negotiate a trade of Peterman for Godwin and a day 2 draft pick.  

• Haha (+1) 1

On 9/24/2018 at 5:19 AM, bmur66 said:

This team has nothing left to trade. Cupboards are bare. Belt is on 1st hole. There may be a circus looking for a clown though (no. 13)

Trading Benjamin cause a huge dead cap  hit, doesnt it? Bills only have what, 8, 8.5 million available?

On 9/24/2018 at 7:46 AM, billsbackto81 said:

I would swap KB for Dez in a millisecond. 

KB looks like he just doesn't care. In a contract year to boot makes it even more baffling.

except, Dez is a free agent. Bills can't afford to cut Benjamin  AND sign Bryant