McBeane's way of rebuilding makes no sense

Jerry Jabber

54 minutes ago, QCity said:

This isn't a remodel where they are just replacing the drywall. They are completely leveling the house and repouring the foundation. That foundation consists of players like Josh Allen and Tremaine Edwards, and right now there just isn't much built on top of them (yet).

He's building this house the exact way it should be built (whether fans understand this or not) -- through the draft. Unfortunately, it's going to take time. It's a waste of energy getting upset over 1-yr contract stop-gaps like Vonte Davis.

So while the knee-jerk crowd is out there having a conniption after each loss this year, know this -- if Beane is right about Allen, he's already the best GM we've had in the last 20 years.

How is it a waste of time to be upset over Vontae Davis signing for 5 million then not dressing.   We let a playoff caliber CB (in this D) in EJ Gaines walk and then sign for $4 million.  Even if Gaines was hurt a lot we still won the games he played in.   Plus Davis has the same or worse injury history.  Is it a waste of time to second guess a starting CB decision?  How does McBeane get a pass from you on that one?

As for building through the draft, how can you build an entire roster with 7 picks per year on 4-5 year contracts?   You have to utilize free agency, trades, and eventually resign existing core players to make it work.  You should review our dead cap situation on Spotrac.  The split between contracts in the dead cap is 51% Whaley, 49% Beane already.       

Is it a knee jerk reaction when we go from a playoff roster to what we viewed on Sunday?   

3 minutes ago, buffalostu2 said:

How is it a waste of time to be upset over Vontae Davis signing for 5 million then not dressing.   We let a playoff caliber CB (in this D) in EJ Gaines walk and then sign for $4 million.  Even if Gaines was hurt a lot we still won the games he played in.   Plus Davis has the same or worse injury history.  Is it a waste of time to second guess a starting CB decision?  How does McBeane get a pass from you on that one?

As for building through the draft, how can you build an entire roster with 7 picks per year on 4-5 year contracts?   You have to utilize free agency, trades, and eventually resign existing core players to make it work.  You should review our dead cap situation on Spotrac.  The split between contracts in the dead cap is 51% Whaley, 49% Beane already.       

Is it a knee jerk reaction when we go from a playoff roster to what we viewed on Sunday?   

Why didn’t v. Davis play? He didn’t even dress. 

What was the reason he didn’t even dress?

Gaines on Sunday was an absolute liability.

so frustrating!! 

Edited by COTC
  • Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Jerry Jabber said:

Nope, I'm not upset that the Bills could possibly field a bad team this year. I just think they are not building this team the right way and are mismanaging their assets, kind of like Tim Murray did with the Sabres as he spent draft picks and prospects like a drunken sailor. Why would you draft a QB high and don't have a decent enough O-line to protect the kid? If Allen plays the rest of the season, he'll give David Carr a run for his money on being the most sacked NFL QB in history. What do you think that will do for Allen's development? 

I get so tired of this argument. 

Many of the best QBs in NFL history were drafted to the WORST franchises in the league.  Bad O-Lines.  Bad receivers.  No running game.

If you have the chance to draft a franchise QB (especially on a team that hasn't had one in 20 years), you don't ask questions.  YOU DO IT!!!!

What if Beane had kept those 2018 picks, and used them to upgrade the O-Line and WR corps instead?  Then we get to the 2019 Draft with the #1 Pick.... and all of the prospects are terrible.  Or maybe we are drafting at #2 or #3 overall and there is only one good QB available. 

For all the b!+ching about roster management, the Bills have a potentially VERY STRONG foundation to build the future team on.  Quarterback (Allen), Left Tackle (Dawkins), Middle Linebacker (Edmunds) and Cornerback (White).  If those guys work out, we could be set for a very long time.

You build a team for success from the trenches out.  Building a dominant offensive line hasn't been a priority for the Bills in years.  Hate to say it but drafting a top prospect quarterback without fixing the line is a recipe for injury, loss of confidence, and/or disillusionment.  Hopefully, it won't happen with Allen but if it does, it's because we put the cart before the horse.

• Thank you (+1) 1

There doesn't appear to be much a strategy here at all, with the possible exception of dumping everyone that was drafted by the previous regime. They have two kids playing QB, but they have a bunch of rejects playing D Line.  There is no consistency here at all.  If there is a common denominator in this equation someone please tell me what it is.  I'm hoping against hope that it isn't just a bunch of guys who used to be Charlotte! 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

You build a team for success from the trenches out.  Building a dominant offensive line hasn't been a priority for the Bills in years.  Hate to say it but drafting a top prospect quarterback without fixing the line is a recipe for injury, loss of confidence, and/or disillusionment.  Hopefully, it won't happen with Allen but if it does, it's because we put the cart before the horse.

OR because this was a deep QB crop and the talent of the players justified the pick.

Meanwhile....there appears to be some line talent in next year's draft and a group of QBs nowhere near as talented.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

The Bills led, or were near the top, in Rushing the past couple of years.  The problem is that 40% of that O Line up and quit in the same offseason, and the front office did LITERALLY NOTHING about it at all.

2 hours ago, Jerry Jabber said:

Seems McBeane is intent on gutting this roster of players from the Whaley regime and doing a full blown rebuild. I have no problems with doing a rebuild, but the way they are doing it makes absolutely no sense. Moving up and wasting draft picks on two players in the first round this past year was not a smart move. If the Bills are going to be at the top of the draft in 2019, then they could have drafted their QB of the future then instead of what they gave up for Allen. It's too early to tell if Allen and Edmunds will pan out. Both guys have the physical size and traits to be very successful. I am glad that McBeane is trying to address the QB position, because it's been neglected for way too long. Maybe McBeane liked the QB's in this draft class better than the 2019 draft class...who knows. I just think it's not a smart move to use up all these picks when there are so many holes to fill on the team. O-linemen take time to develop, so I think it would have been good for the Bills to use some of this draft capital and address the O-line early. I think building up the lines on both side of the ball first should be a teams priority.

It seems McBeane's FA pick ups/trades have been more misses than hits. Now, if these players McBeane are signing are just "stop-gap" players, then that's one thing, but if they're being counted on to be impact players, then McBeane has really screwed up. Vontae Davis, Star Lotulelei, Trent Murphy, Kelvin Benjamin, Corey Coleman, Jordan Matthews...not an impressive list of players. Seems McBeane was hoping somebody on the D-line would be free to get to the QB with Lotulelei clogging up the middle, but so far this preseason and in Week 1, it hasn't come to fruition. If Lotulelei doesn't pan out, that could be more dead cap money if he gets cut or traded. 

I think fans are starting to see this guy is a total loser and gives away players for pennies on the dollar.  Like it or not Sammy Watkins is a talented WR and this loser gives him away for second round pick at the age of 23.  Terry made huge mistake hiring this plug

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

What was your prediction for the year? Did you think we'd win eight or nine or ten games? People who predicted a lot of wins this year weren't quite understanding how long it takes to build consistent success when you're switching schemes and the regime before you put you in awful salary cap shape.

Literally read my mind - said this on a few other threads, too, but for how much we knew of this going into the season with all the moves made this offseason and dead cap space, the reaction to our first game is a bit incongruous. Certainly deserves a critical eye, but the fact that anyone on this board though we might make another 8, 9, 10 game winning season and make the playoffs again is beyond understanding. The playoffs last year were not the intent, and it wasn't until they added KB that they really moved to "maybe give the playoff run a shot." Having ended the drought, they got an 18 year monkey off of the franchise's back, and could move forward with rebuilding a team for the future.

This is a team poised to contend as intended more so in a year or two down the line. This season was never going to be the turnaround year - just don't think people expected the kind of loss we gave ourselves on Sunday. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Just out of my own curiosity, what the hell do you know about building an NFL roster?

This is the kind of asinine comment that keeps me away from this site for long stretches, until I start craving the excellent observations and insights also to be found here. So we need to be experts in building a roster to comment on how the Bills are doing with it? Or is it just that we all need to blow sunshine in every post? God, I hate fools like this. Engage your mind before you post, buddy. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, finn said:

This is the kind of asinine comment that keeps me away from this site for long stretches, until I start craving the excellent observations and insights also to be found here. So we need to be experts in building a roster to comment on how the Bills are doing with it? Or is it just that we all need to blow sunshine in every post? God, I hate fools like this. Engage your mind before you post, buddy. 

Do you feel better now?  I never said anyone had to be an expert.  Now get to your anger management class before you are late.

6 minutes ago, finn said:

Then be a contrib and tell us what you would have done....not just B word about it?

That is what drives me nuts....you think a rant is actually contributing to the board....its not.....

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Got their QB hopefully on both sides of the ball and they're clearing a ton of cap space.  It will be on them now to draft well and do a good job with their cap dollars in free agency.

Enough.  How many times you going to post the same thing?

...we lose the first game, look more like Agway fertilizer and we're done....2018 is over.....so where are the 4-12, 5-11 or 6-10 TBD prognosticators?.....or the ones talking about the brutality of the schedule and perhaps 0 fer 8?....as painful as it was, can't have it BOTH ways IMO....sure it was ugly.....but...a major concern is McD, Daboll, Frazier and Castillo showed absolutely zero in their ability to adjust against what was known to be a formidable defense....NOTHING......how we lethargically got to the result is a BIGGER concern than the result itself......

11 minutes ago, finn said:

Blowing crap in every direction may feel good but it's a waste of time to most everyone else.   

OTOH, having a base of knowledge to make rational and intelligent comments about the Bills and NFL is becoming a rarer and rarer commodity on TSW...

25 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...we lose the first game, look more like Agway fertilizer and we're done....2018 is over.....so where are the 4-12, 5-11 or 6-10 TBD prognosticators?.....or the ones talking about the brutality of the schedule and perhaps 0 fer 8?....as painful as it was, can't have it BOTH ways IMO....sure it was ugly.....but...a major concern is McD, Daboll, Frazier and Castillo showed absolutely zero in their ability to adjust against what was known to be a formidable defense....NOTHING......how we lethargically got to the result is a BIGGER concern than the result itself......

I agree about the adjustments.  That's why McD is right when he says he has to review things.  Was it they didn't make adjustments, or was it guys either blowing assignments or just getting beat physically?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, unclepete said:

I agree but it seems like making the playoffs was in spite of themselves. Not to rehash old arguments but there were mixed messages sent with Benjamin trade and the Tyrod benching. If we wanted to tank we should ridden Peterman out for the year to see what he had and positioned ourself to get a QB without giving up as many assets. Not trade for Kelvin Benjamin. Not go into the year unsure about what Peterman brought to the table. 

If they were trying to tank, they wouldn't have signed anyone in FA, traded for anyone, and would have traded all their best assets.  IOW...they weren't trying to tank. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, oldmanfan said:

I agree about the adjustments.  That's why McD is right when he says he has to review things.  Was it they didn't make adjustments, or was it guys either blowing assignments or just getting beat physically?

...good question Oldie.....but wouldn't a goodly portion of that be evident DURING the game so you can make necessary adjustments?.......blown assignments or beaten phyically would mean in game personnel adjustments IMO....the "tape" is after the fact UNLESS you mailed it in early on......

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...good question Oldie.....but wouldn't a goodly portion of that be evident DURING the game so you can make necessary adjustments?.......blown assignments or beaten phyically would mean in game personnel adjustments IMO....the "tape" is after the fact UNLESS you mailed it in early on......

Good point.  I think some of our guys up front just don't have the physical ability to stand up to the guy across the line.  I am mystified by Groy; a couple years ago he looked good filling in for Wood but he's just getting pushed around.

• Like (+1) 2

Their plan is pretty apparent agreeing with it or not is another question.  They drafted players who are expensive and hardest to find in free agency Such as a shut down corner, a LT a pass rusher a team leader MLB and of course QB. That is a good core of players to build around. As far as free agency we signed backups, role players and veteran leadership, no big money signings what so ever so what were people expecting from them? for the back up center we signed to play like a stud? 

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

The Bills led, or were near the top, in Rushing the past couple of years.  The problem is that 40% of that O Line up and quit in the same offseason, and the front office did LITERALLY NOTHING about it at all.

What did you want them to do? Who would you have cut or not have signed to fix the OL? or would you have avoided drafting QB and MLB? 

2 hours ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

What happens if you get your line in place and then you aren't in a position to draft a QB? Do you reach on a lesser quality prospect? Find a serviceable veteran? hope some other team's backup is a secret star? 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Getting a QB high was an absolute necessity. Far from making no sense, it was the only move that did make any sense, except maybe bringing in Alex Smith or Kirk Cousins.

Calling it a waste is missing the point. There are very very few ways to bring in a guy with a legitimate shot at being a franchise guy. When you have one of those chances you have to go for it even if it's expensive. They had to get a guy who might grow to become the franchise QB we've needed for so long. Unless they wanted our run of prolonged mediocrity/badness to continue.

And yeah, OLs take time to develop. So do QBs. But it's a hell of a lot easier to draft a good OL even if you're winning than it is to draft a good
QB.

And yes, moving up delayed filling the holes on the roster.

It's worth it. Same as in house construction, building a good strong, stable foundation delays the building of the walls and the installation of the plumbing and everything else, really. But it's necessary to build that strong foundation regardless of the delay. Same thing here. It's necessary to bring in a legitimate potential QB because it's almost impossible to get one when you have a good enough roster elsewhere to consistently win eight or nine games. You never get the chance to draft a potential franchise guy. This is the only way to get it done, and also the smart way.

If we're rebuilding as you say (I'm not sure I agree, but put that aside), then you have to keep understanding what a rebuild is. It's not something you do if you want to have a great chance to win the year you trade up and draft your QB. You are sacrificing the short term for the long term. Which is a great idea if the long term is very successful, and true rebuilds increase the chances of extreme success.

What was your prediction for the year? Did you think we'd win eight or nine or ten games? People who predicted a lot of wins this year weren't quite understanding how long it takes to build consistent success when you're switching schemes and the regime before you put you in awful salary cap shape.

Absolutely dead on.  

And one more thing.   If the Bills had used their picks to draft top offensive linemen, they would have kept Taylor for one more season.  Taylor and McCoy behind a good offensive line would have been at least as good as they were last season, and maybe better.  That would mean having the 20th pick in the first round, and there's no way you can find a franchise QB.   Bills would have had no capital to trade to move up.   

2018 was the perfect time to make a move toward the top of the draft to get a QB.   As you say, you must take the QB when the opportunity arises, because those opportunities don't come along too often.  

4 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Getting a QB high was an absolute necessity. Far from making no sense, it was the only move that did make any sense, except maybe bringing in Alex Smith or Kirk Cousins.

Calling it a waste is missing the point. There are very very few ways to bring in a guy with a legitimate shot at being a franchise guy. When you have one of those chances you have to go for it even if it's expensive. They had to get a guy who might grow to become the franchise QB we've needed for so long. Unless they wanted our run of prolonged mediocrity/badness to continue.

And yeah, OLs take time to develop. So do QBs. But it's a hell of a lot easier to draft a good OL even if you're winning than it is to draft a good
QB.

And yes, moving up delayed filling the holes on the roster.

It's worth it. Same as in house construction, building a good strong, stable foundation delays the building of the walls and the installation of the plumbing and everything else, really. But it's necessary to build that strong foundation regardless of the delay. Same thing here. It's necessary to bring in a legitimate potential QB because it's almost impossible to get one when you have a good enough roster elsewhere to consistently win eight or nine games. You never get the chance to draft a potential franchise guy. This is the only way to get it done, and also the smart way.

If we're rebuilding as you say (I'm not sure I agree, but put that aside), then you have to keep understanding what a rebuild is. It's not something you do if you want to have a great chance to win the year you trade up and draft your QB. You are sacrificing the short term for the long term. Which is a great idea if the long term is very successful, and true rebuilds increase the chances of extreme success.

One person's rebuilding is another's dismantling. They purged the team of it's talent (albeit big contracts) and replaced them with JAGs. The OL acquisitions are really terrible  and really have one skill player of note. Now it may work out in the long haul, but don't tell us this isn't a tank. The pretense we got better this year borders on insulting. I know it's a fine line, you don't want to admit a tank, but most of us get that a step back to move forward is reasonable. I expected to take a step back. I didn't expect to be B-slapped all over the field. As noted in the Outlaw Josie Wales, "don't p*ss on my leg and tell me it's raining."

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Absolutely dead on.  

And one more thing.   If the Bills had used their picks to draft top offensive linemen, they would have kept Taylor for one more season.  Taylor and McCoy behind a good offensive line would have been at least as good as they were last season, and maybe better.  That would mean having the 20th pick in the first round, and there's no way you can find a franchise QB.   Bills would have had no capital to trade to move up.   

2018 was the perfect time to make a move toward the top of the draft to get a QB.   As you say, you must take the QB when the opportunity arises, because those opportunities don't come along too often.  

I'd argue the last opportunity we had before 2018 was 2004, we missed that opportunity reached on Losman and the rest is history.  

"It's too early to tell if Allen and Edmunds will pan out."

Ok sure, but wouldn't that be double for whatever rookies you wanted next year instead?  You're positive THOSE picks are guaranteed to pan out?

1 hour ago, Niagara Dude said:

I think fans are starting to see this guy is a total loser and gives away players for pennies on the dollar.  Like it or not Sammy Watkins is a talented WR and this loser gives him away for second round pick at the age of 23.  Terry made huge mistake hiring this plug

Did you watch the Rams game last night.  Did you hear what they said about Watkins?

I'm paraphrasing, but they said the Rams let Watkins go and picked up Brandin Cooks, a Belichick castoff, because Watkins can just go deep, and Cooks is a serious threat over the middle.

I was as big a Watkins fan as anyone, when he was drafted and all the time he was in Buffalo, but I've come around to recognizing that he's just a slightly shinier version of Lee Evans.   He has the tools, but he doesn't produce.   He played on a great offense last season, he was healthy, and he did very little.  

Fans always seem to think they know better than the professionals who run the teams.   Two successive GMs and coaches have said "I don't need him," and you still think he's some kind of star.   Maybe he will be, but so far he's been nearly a bust. 

7 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Absolutely dead on.  

Allen used up their 1st-1st rounder and both of their 2nd rounders.  Edmunds used their 2nd-1st rounder and their 1st-3rd rounder.  Who do you give up in that scenario?  And how many OL drafted in the 3rd or later are starting for their teams, and playing well?

4 hours ago, T master said:

Every one is so up in arms because of the loss this past week i just wonder what would be being said if the O line would have only had 1 change like last yr ? 

The loss of 2 interior starters was the biggest loss you said that it takes the longest to get a O linemen use to his position well they thought they would still have Wood & Incog but things went south real quick so you can't blame them for having their board set plus i've heard Chris Brown say this year the draft stunk for O line personal ...

I would dare say too that Bean using 2 first round picks to get 2 first round players is a ton better than spending 2 first round picks to move up & get one first round player that didn't pan out !! Just saying Beans track record to this point looks a lot better give it some time before you start dissecting things before we even know what might it's only one game !!

I'm gonna disagree wtih this a little bit.  Sure, they weren't planning on losing Wood and Incognito.  But Wood retired on JANUARY 26th.  This was WELL before draft and FA.  they could have done something better on the Wood replacement but chose not to.  It's on them for bad decision making and player evaluation.  Especially when they have their new shiny franchise QB to protect.  I'll give you Richie who retired in August.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, reddogblitz said:

I'm gonna disagree wtih this a little bit.  Sure, they weren't planning on losing Wood and Incognito.  But Wood retired on JANUARY 26th.  This was WELL before draft and FA.  they could have done something better on the Wood replacement but chose not to.  It's on them for bad decision making and player evaluation.  Especially when they have their new shiny franchise QB to protect.  I'll give you Richie who retired in August.

I think they felt Groy would step in; a lot of us did.   Why he's failed thus far is a mystery.

2 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

The plan to replace Wood was Bodine.  Not a great plan but a plan nonetheless.

3 hours ago, QCity said:

This isn't a remodel where they are just replacing the drywall. They are completely leveling the house and repouring the foundation. That foundation consists of players like Josh Allen and Tremaine Edwards, and right now there just isn't much built on top of them (yet).

He's building this house the exact way it should be built (whether fans understand this or not) -- through the draft. Unfortunately, it's going to take time. It's a waste of energy getting upset over 1-yr contract stop-gaps like Vonte Davis.

So while the knee-jerk crowd is out there having a conniption after each loss this year, know this -- if Beane is right about Allen, he's already the best GM we've had in the last 20 years.

This isn't the 60s anymore. No team (at least no consistently successful team) does a "raze and rebuild" these days. Slow moving, multi-year doesn't work anymore. You absolutely have to hit on your draft picks and use that 4 and 5 year window to bring in your expensive FAs and to sign your own picks to extended contracts if they've showed you they're worth it. And the most critical signing (duh) is the "franchise QB." And to make sure that QB doesn't get killed, you go with the old cliche: You build the team from front to back, inside to outside. If you know Beane or McDermott, would you please pass that along to them?

3 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Just out of my own curiosity, what the hell do you know about building an NFL roster?

In my case, I wouldn't know how to build a 100 story skyscraper. But I do think I'd question the architect if he was building it on a foundation of hay bales.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Doc said:

Allen used up their 1st-1st rounder and both of their 2nd rounders.  Edmunds used their 2nd-1st rounder and their 1st-3rd rounder.  Who do you give up in that scenario?  And how many OL drafted in the 3rd or later are starting for their teams, and playing well?

QB is BY FAR the most important position on the field.  When you see an opportunity to get a franchise QB, you have to take it.

MLB is a distant second, but it's still the second most important position on the field.   At the end of the second round, you get a Preston Brown.  In the middle of the first round you get a Smith, an Edmunds, a Keuchle.  

Those were smart team-building moves.  

100 percent agree.  If you are going to draft a young quarterback you should give him some tools.  They spent 25 million on a.j. Star. Murphy and davis.  couple of million on some below average lineman.   While i think Edmounds will be a good football player , maybe a great one.  Did they really need to move up again.  They could have saved the picks and drafted two very good interior lineman.  Then you ask yourself why did they spend all that money on d.  The answer is the humble oh shucks coach couldn't put his ego aside for the good of the team.  He just had to add defense so he looked good.  Meanwhile they drafted a qb and gave him a heaping pile of shite to work with.   From the moment they pass on Mahomes every move has been a step in the wrong direction.   

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, T master said:

Every one is so up in arms because of the loss this past week i just wonder what would be being said if the O line would have only had 1 change like last yr ? 

The loss of 2 interior starters was the biggest loss you said that it takes the longest to get a O linemen use to his position well they thought they would still have Wood & Incog but things went south real quick so you can't blame them for having their board set plus i've heard Chris Brown say this year the draft stunk for O line personal ...

I would dare say too that Bean using 2 first round picks to get 2 first round players is a ton better than spending 2 first round picks to move up & get one first round player that didn't pan out !! Just saying Beans track record to this point looks a lot better give it some time before you start dissecting things before we even know what might it's only one game !!

Baltimore remade their receiver corps this year through free agency. Our receiver corps is one of the worst, if not the worse, in the league.It's understood that not all the deficiencies were going to be addressed in one year. But forcing our best blocker in Incognito to take a cut and essentially forcing him out made no sense. We could have kept him for one more year. In addition, all the offensive linemen brought in this year were at best backups. Being generous in assessing them not one of them is a starting caliber player. Without a respectable OL little on offense will work. In addition, if this organization had any intention of playing Josh Allen this year it didn't put him in a position to succeed because behind this line he is going to be battered. 

What's even more disturbing is that our defensive line can't generate a pass rush putting stress on the back line players. So when all is said and done on both sides of the ball our trenches are very shallow. And that is where plays are initiated. A major dearth of talent can't be hidden by any scheme. When you are so glaringly exposed you will predictably be exploited. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Baltimore remade their receiver corps this year through free agency. Our receiver corps is one of the worst, if not the worse, in the league.It's understood that not all the deficiencies were going to be addressed in one year. But forcing our best blocker in Incognito to take a cut and essentially forcing him out made no sense. We could have kept him for one more year. In addition, all the offensive linemen brought in this year were at best backups. Being generous in assessing them not one of them is a starting caliber player. Without a respectable OL little on offense will work. In addition, if this organization had any intention of playing Josh Allen this year it didn't put him in a position to succeed because behind this line he is going to be battered. 

What's even more disturbing is that our defensive line can't generate a pass rush putting stress on the back line players. So when all is said and done on both sides of the ball our trenches are very shallow. And that is where plays are initiated. A major dearth of talent can't be hidden by any scheme. When you are so glaringly exposed you will predictably be exploited. 

The line is in trouble, I think they knew that and chose to stop gap it this year, I'd expect it to be addressed this off season. I think there was no way Cogs would be playing now for us anyway, he'd be suspended because he has pending charges.