Week 1: Ravens Game Preparation - Nathan Peterman & Groy Starting

/dev/null

Like the following perhaps or maybe just take a sack instead of throwing the ball up for grabs. 

I guess you missed the play where Peterman avoided pressure and hit Benjamin along the sideline.

I can't wait til you say "that was preseason" meanwhile the play you just showed from Allen was preseason.

Tommy Boy, Brees, and Rodgers didn't either. 

Well, you are actually correct that these 3 didn’t start their rookie year. Or most of it. Bree’s has a game in there. 

But all 3 played behind 2 Hall of Famers within Favre and Bledsoe, and the other played behind the incredible Doug Flutie. 

Then Rivers played behind Brees who had a very good year 

Manning, and Big Ben both did play their rookie years. Ben pretty much started most of the way and Eli played about half a season. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RoetBe00.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MannEl00.htm

this is the biggest line of crap that has repeated on here way too many times. if allen  were starting, you don't think they'd stack the box and bring the heat. did you see the cincy game? they would definitely shut the run game down, bring pressure and force allen to make quick decisions and beat them through the air.

i don't get why people think because allen's in there they will play 2 deep and hope to press man at the line. they would play the same style no matter which qb we put in there,

hopefully the counter for us is getting the ball out fast and getting into a rhythm.

Exactly. No defense is going to start the year game planning for our QB no matter who it is. They're going to try and shut Shady down first and foremost. Until the starting QB proves he can take advantage of that we're going to see a ton of pressure. Right now I trust Peterman in that situation more than I trust Allen.

• Like (+1) 1

What a poor decision to announce the starter today.  What would Belichick have done?  He would have told the media and the fans that they'd find out on game day.   Why give Baltimore even the slightest hint, much less a definite statement, of whom to prepare for?

I don't think it really makes that much difference.

I guess you missed the play where Peterman avoided pressure and hit Benjamin along the sideline.

I can't wait til you say "that was preseason" meanwhile the play you just showed from Allen was preseason.

Gregg Williams was running pressure defense schemes with complex coverages in that game.  Ask McCarron, he'll tell you.  At any rate, we'll see now that the games count. 

maybe just take a sack instead of throwing the ball up for grabs.

This is the easiest thing a QB could fix. I'm sure they've drilled it into his head. FWIW he went right down whenever he took a sack this preseason. I'm not worried he'll throw those sorts of picks this year. I am still worried about the far right curls and outs. He's improved every other aspect of his game.

The bills store better print up a few Peterman jerseys. Get a few 2’s in the stands for the home opener. Let’s show the kid some respect 

Respect? What are his NFL accomplishments? Or respect because he made the team? 

Happy he is starting. Because the first games will be brutal. No reason to get a rookie killed. 

Wait till Bosa comes too town. Maybe he is McD's sacrificial lamb behind that scrub  O-line. 

Let's get started...unlike others here..i won't be happy with 4-12 and another high draft pick.....

I don't think many, if any, would be happy with 4-12.

Understanding of it, yes.

Happy? Maybe the 1 or 2 who cheer for the team to fail to yell "I told you so" and the other 1 or 2 who see losing as a way to get better draft picks.

I remember 3-13. It sucked, but it was predictable. So is this. Just need to ride it out because the only other option is to not watch, and that's not an option...at least for me.

How was Peterman supposed to escape pressure in the Chargers game when he had pressure coming from all angles? Not to mention no receivers were getting open. The whole team left him out to dry.

He isn't a statue at all. He can move in the pocket pretty well. He's not a speed burner but he's not slow either.

I just hope the team gives him a little better chance this time around. That is a murderer's row defense to start the schedule.

i haven't gone back and looked, but the receiving corp that day against LA was a bit lacking. that never gets mentioned.

There's an urban sombrero joke in there somewhere.  ?

He earned the job and is not as concerned with the SD result from last year as some fans are.  He knows this is a new season and opportunity.  We'll know soon enough if he's up to the task.   

• Like (+1) 1

they would play the same style no matter which qb we put in there

I'm sorry but that's just not true. The throws Allen can make and the one's Peterman can make are completely different. And how they play as QB is very different. CBs can play more zone against Peterman because he seems to pre determine where he's going before the snap, locks in on a receiver. Zone allows the CB to watch the QB and break on the ball. Whereas with Allen the receivers might play more Man coverage and force Allen to hang in the pocket and hold onto the ball. Peterman also can't make long out throws, this will allow the Safetys to creep up and put more men in the box, disrupting the run and the middle of the field throws he likes.

• Like (+1) 1

Could happen within the first two games.  The ravens were #1 overall in INTs last season and the Chargers were tied for #6.

If you take out the 5 interceptions they got from Peterman the Chargers would only be tied for 15th last year.

That may be true but sometimes teams don’t repeat the same.  I’ll hope they dont

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

Wasn’t Matt Cassel tech the starting qb for that first year Tyrod played? Came in for the first play of week 1, then Tyrod played the rest. I remember seeing that win against the colts somehow not credited to Tyrod. Not that it matters. Just a reminder of the circus that was Rex Ryan 

Technically correct, but for all intents and purposes Taylor was the starter. 

I figured Peterman was the starter the minute they traded AJ.

AJ and Nate are kind of redundant. Both are similar QBs. If Nate isn’t successful behind this o line, AJ wouldn’t be either. 

Plus, McDermott taking every chance possible to talk Nate up was another clue. As I said in another thread, it reminded me of Rex Ryan continually reminding everyone not to sleep on Tyrod Taylor back in 2015. 

I dont see how anyone can say that Nate didn’t earn it, though. He was our best QB all offseason. 

Congrats Nate! 

• Like (+1) 3

Exactly. No defense is going to start the year game planning for our QB no matter who it is. They're going to try and shut Shady down first and foremost. Until the starting QB proves he can take advantage of that we're going to see a ton of pressure. Right now I trust Peterman in that situation more than I trust Allen.

Um sure they are. There is film on Peterman. He has tendencies. As I've said previously, the defense may play more zone because they can watch him. He tends to lock on and go with his first read. This is what allowed the Ramsey interception in Jax and a couple of the ints in LA.

Um sure they are. There is film on Peterman. He has tendencies. As I've said previously, the defense may play more zone because they can watch him. He tends to lock on and go with his first read. This is what allowed the Ramsey interception in Jax and a couple of the ints in LA.

Allen was locking onto his first read against the Bengals too. All I'm saying is teams don't fear our passing game yet. Their game plans are going to focus on Shady. They will stack the box and sit on short routes regardless of who the QB is. Tyrod could throw the ball deep but teams still stacked the box. It has nothing to do with arm strength.

If you take out the 5 interceptions they got from Peterman the Chargers would only be tied for 15th last year.

You cant take them away though.  Any other team in there might have picked off the same QB 2 or 3 times in a few different games.  Its just the way things are.  Not too mention it will be Nate throwing at them again.  Our oline is even worse this year.