We’ve claimed P Corey Bojorquez and CB Ryan Lewis off waivers and released P Colton Schmidt.

Plano

6 minutes ago, HuSeYiN_NYC said:

Only in Bills country do we evaluate punters smh...

the punter is our mvp lol. But it does make a big difference. Playing the field position game with a solid running game & hopefully a strong defense behind it. Winning the turnover game & having a solid place kicker. With that formula we've seen you can make the playoffs as long as you execute.

It's the best we can hope for i'm afraid

18 minutes ago, brianthomas said:

With our interior o-line having issues, it still sucks a bit to lose Ike Boettger  to the Chiefs. I know our staff knows more about him than we do but i'd like to see more depth added & not see these guys go.

The punter & cb look promising however!

Brian, I'm guessing here, but I also think we had a little bit more of a pick of the litter concerning rookie free agent OLinemen in Buffalo.  Since these were the guys that could pick the teams they ended up with Ike chose Buffalo because of our poor oline situation.

i think he is still getting over that injury (Achilles, I believe) and I like those Iowa linemen.

Shucks. 

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

1 hour ago, davefan66 said:

Bojorquez didn’t even punt once in a preseason game.

Must of really hated Schmidt.

How strange is that?  Why would the PAts pick him up and never have him punt and then carry him all pre-season on the roster, wonder if they were trying to "hide" him and put him on the PS. And the Bills pick up a guy who has never even played in a pre-season game. Entire scenario is very strange.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I get it, fans criticizing the team for swapping punters seems laughable, but...

1. Schmidt was the holder of a FG unit that was insanely good last year. Why throw this into the mix and potentially create scenerios where we lose a game because there’s no kicker + holder relationship

2. Schmidt was average at best...but also average at worst. He was average. He shanked a few in the season but was relatively consistent. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

3. This new guy has never played in the NFL and didn’t come from a big school. This is an enormous risk. We have no idea how he will handle the pressure of a road game. I’m not just talking about punts. With the game on the line and a must make field goal late in the fourth, the crowd will be insane. It’s a lot of pressure, and if he’s the holder how can we trust him.

4. Have we even brought him in? It’s my understanding this guy hasn’t even punted in a preseason game. What are we scouting him from? Other teams’ training camp? College?

All in all, this seems like a completely unnecessary risky move that you all laugh about now but potentially come back and bite us in the ass.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, dezertbill said:

There is a reason why he didn't punt all pre season.  The Pats were trying to stash him.

They wouldn't even let him punt warm ups on the main field vs. Eagles since the Eagles were looking at adding a punter.  

Sounds like a Belichick thing to do. 

Bills saw through it and moved in.  Gutsy move.  Props to Beane and his staff.

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2018/09/buffalo_bills_claim_new_england_patriots_cb_ryan_lewis_p_corey_bojorquez_off_wai.html

I hope you are right.

We really need a good punter, Schmidt has been bad.

Even more than the punter, I would like it to see Beane and co. manifest verifiable competence.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, fridge said:

I get it, fans criticizing the team for swapping punters seems laughable, but...

1. Schmidt was the holder of a FG unit that was insanely good last year. Why throw this into the mix and potentially create scenerios where we lose a game because there’s no kicker + holder relationship

2. Schmidt was average at best...but also average at worst. He was average. He shanked a few in the season but was relatively consistent. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

3. This new guy has never played in the NFL and didn’t come from a big school. This is an enormous risk. We have no idea how he will handle the pressure of a road game. I’m not just talking about punts. With the game on the line and a must make field goal late in the fourth, the crowd will be insane. It’s a lot of pressure, and if he’s the holder how can we trust him.

4. Have we even brought him in? It’s my understanding this guy hasn’t even punted in a preseason game. What are we scouting him from? Other teams’ training camp? College?

All in all, this seems like a completely unnecessary risky move that you all laugh about now but potentially come back and bite us in the ass.

I agree with most of this, it does seem very strange, and is a huge risk.  Worst case scenario though, assuming no one claims Schmidt which i dont believe they will as he sucks, is we bring him back.  

• Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, fridge said:

Sometimes people over analyse things.....

• Like (+1) 2

The Bills obviously saw a need to move on from Schmidt. They brought in Jon Ryan, they brought in Cory Carter. Those guys didn't pan out so they signed this new guy, who from all scouting reports from his college years, he has the stats that show he'd be an improvement over Schmidt.

I'm sure they wouldve rather signed an NFL veteran, but sometimes you have to take risks, calculated risks & that's what they did.

They have time to build a relationship with the long snapper & punter, and on the place kicking duties.

I'm not overly worried about our punting situation lol. This looks like a good move imo

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, fridge said:

Was Shmitty average last year? Didn't quite seem like it

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

Maybe it's the opposite then and Beane watched every preseason game and had scouts go to each team's training camp.  This move baffles me.

Yeah, it’s almost like the Bills have a scouting staff that had more information on players than the average Joe Fan who reads internet articles and watches TV 

• Thank you (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, fridge said:

How is this a calculated risk?

Thought it should be obvious. Theres a risk in starting a punter who hasn't kicked in a preseason game or regular season game. But it was a calculated risk given the teams dissatisfaction with Schmidt's punting.

5 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Bills fans have weird hang ups about punters.

Punters. LOL

Well to be fair we went through 12 years of Brian Moorman Being the best and possibly most athletic player on the team ?

and recently Schmidt has dead leg syndrome and can’t even punt 40 yards... if we are gonna be in low scoring games we need the field position 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

Holy cow. People will literally find anything to complain about.

Changing punters is a "huge risk"?

Someone get some tissues for these people.

Especially when they appear to be a dime a dozen.  A few bad games by this guy and we can just resign Colton Schmidt.

7 minutes ago, brianthomas said:

the consensus is that the Pats were trying to hide him from others so they could stash him on their PS

Stash a punter?

6 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

Worried about ball deflation ;)

You will have to ask Hoody that one.

So a guy who has never punted ("Lobos", excluded, obv) is now the Bills punter?  Strange move.  If they were that unhappy with Schmidt (which couldn't have started just this preseason), and they really liked this punter, why not draft him in the 7th (instead of a guy like Proehl, who had no chance of making the 53) and see if he can actually punt (outside of New Mexico)?

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Stash a punter?

So a guy who has never punted ("Lobos", excluded, obv) is now the Bills punter?  Strange move.  If they were that unhappy with Schmidt (which couldn't have started this preseason), and they really liked this punter, why not draft him in the 7th (instead of a guy like Proehl, who had no chance of making the 53) and see if he can actually punt (outside of New Mexico)?

Maybe they thought they could get him as an UDFA and Belly and the evil empire swooped in snatching him up?

Maybe they thought Ricky Austin Proehl would get  claimed by someone else as an UDFA.

I am sure Beane gets asked at the next presser.

Why are we worried about the punter?

I bet Steven (Godbless You) Huska (or however its spelled) the PK could punt farther than Schmidt ;)

Edited by JMF2006

4 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

Maybe they thought they could get him as an UDFA and Belly and the evil empire swooped in snatching him up?

Maybe they thought Ricky Austin Proehl would get  claimed by someone else as an UDFA.

I am sure Beane gets asked at the next presser.

Why are we worried about the punter?

I bet Steven (Godbless You) Huska (or however its spelled) the PK could punt farther than Schmidt ;)

Why worried about the punter?  Because they just dumped the punter for a guy no one has seen punt against NFL coverage.  f the punter wasn't worth worrying about, why cut the vet?  he wasn't awful.

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Why worried about the punter?  Because they just dumped the punter for a guy no one has seen punt against NFL coverage.  f the punter wasn't worth worrying about, why cut the vet?  he wasn't awful.

Too many shanks and touch backs last year a 44yd avg and a net of 40.

I am more worried about his holding for Hush.

1 minute ago, JMF2006 said:

Too many shanks and touch backs last year a 44yd avg and a net of 40.

I am more worried about his holding for Hush.

What if the rookie is worse?  How would the choice be defended then?

Last year, the Bills were ranked 13th in net yards, tied for 15th for punts inside the 20 and had 6 touchbacks in 79 punts.

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

What if the rookie is worse?  How would the choice be defended then?

Last year, the Bills were ranked 13th in net yards, tied for 15th for punts inside the 20 and had 6 touchbacks in 79 punts.

Maybe McBeane wants more than average.

Obviously the STC and HC wanted something more.

I think I will trust the process.

Edited by JMF2006

2 hours ago, dezertbill said:

There is a reason why he didn't punt all pre season.  The Pats were trying to stash him.

They wouldn't even let him punt warm ups on the main field vs. Eagles since the Eagles were looking at adding a punter.  

Sounds like a Belichick thing to do. 

Bills saw through it and moved in.  Gutsy move.  Props to Beane and his staff.

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2018/09/buffalo_bills_claim_new_england_patriots_cb_ryan_lewis_p_corey_bojorquez_off_wai.html

The interview with the Patriots special teams coordinator is pretty funny for his evasion.  Not sure why they wouldn't just cut their punter to keep the kid.  Any team that is reasonably well run is going to have film and scouting material on a kid like this going back into college.  It's not like they're actually going to be able to keep him a secret if he's that good.

6 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

The interview with the Patriots special teams coordinator is pretty funny for his evasion.  Not sure why they wouldn't just cut their punter to keep the kid.  Any team that is reasonably well run is going to have film and scouting material on a kid like this going back into college.  It's not like they're actually going to be able to keep him a secret if he's that good.

Good point.  Patriots punter is worse than Schmidt.