Every Josh Allen snap in Bengals Preseason Game 3

cd1

Looks like 2-3 of those hurries/sacks were on Josh/ WRs not being open down field. I think a very real solution here is to have a back/TE coming out of the back field every single passing play for a check down. Charles Clay and Kelvin Benjamin NEED to catch every pass that hits their hands. Also, why the heck is Patrick DiMarco ever lining up outside?!!!!!

Edited by JP's Voice
  • Like (+1) 1

Watching this I don't feel as depressed as I did yesterday.. Some really good throws.. some drops, receivers running 9 yard outs when it should have been 10... only real complaint is he cant leave that ball to 85 short like that.

Also our line sucks. 

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, cd1 said:

2 drops by starters that absolutely should have caught them

Clay doesnt know where he is at on a catch and should have stretched for the first

OL was getting him killed

You know....the more I look at this the more I wonder if McD realizes its not Josh and starts him anyway.

Im good with either at this point and can see the pro and con's of starting Allen or Peterman

• Like (+1) 1

WTF is the OLINE being taught.  Yes Miller made some mistakes. Ducasse & Groy were getting manhandled all day.  I hope they release Ducasse and put Teller in their or get someone in hear. No Matter who the QB is they are going to have long days.

Other than Josh Allen and a few others, a lot of the starters seemed like they were only halfheartedly playing yesterday.

Like I have said before - kind of like the pro bowl is played.

The coaches should have had a fit!

• Thank you (+1) 1

The ( surprising)  underthrow to Clay is the only one I really can fault him for. The protection was mostly awful. Of course, Daboll could have had him go out and complete short quick passes a la Darnold. What would that have told them? This is when I remind myself that they were trying to evaluate something. Not scheming to negate a rush and win a preseason game. 

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

The ( surprising)  underthrow to Clay is the only one I really can fault him for. The protection was mostly awful. Of course, Daboll could have had him go out and complete short quick passes a la Darnold. What would that have told them? This is when I remind myself that they were trying to evaluate something. Not scheming to negate a rush and win a preseason game. 

I re-watched that play and thought that CLAY was misjudging the ball. Clay originally sped up and then had to start coming back toward the ball.

Just now, cd1 said:

I re-watched that play and thought that CLAY was misjudging the ball. Clay originally sped up and then had to start coming back toward the ball.

Could be. It’s acutally more likely than Allen not having enough on it to get it to the spot he wanted. 

21 minutes ago, Doc said:

He should have been 8/12 for at least 70 yards.  And I still have no idea why McD didn't challenge that scramble he had, as he got the 1st down.

With the blocking in front of Allen maybe he just wanted to get the kid off the field before Atkins ate him.

Groy whiffed hard on one of those sacks bad. All the guy did was side step him and run straight in. Still watching..

Groy whiffs again a little  later on letting the guy do a side step and run around him

Edited by ddaryl

24 minutes ago, Doc said:

He should have been 8/12 for at least 70 yards.  And I still have no idea why McD didn't challenge that scramble he had, as he got the 1st down.

Ok want to play that game he should also have had an interception.

Biggest issue I see is he staring down his receivers, retreating far too back, taking way too long (learn to throw it away).

Edited by RoyBatty is alive
  • Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Doc said:

I also wondered BUT watching that play - it was right in front of our bench and I saw no reaction on the sideline that anyone right there thought it was a 1st down.

19 minutes ago, BBills88 said:

WTF is the OLINE being taught.  Yes Miller made some mistakes. Ducasse & Groy were getting manhandled all day.  I hope they release Ducasse and put Teller in their or get someone in hear. No Matter who the QB is they are going to have long days.

You can't teach things like strength and leverage.  For a guy the size of Ducasse to get thrown around like he was is just mind numbing.

• Like (+1) 2

Really wanted Allen to start but with how terrible the o-line is playing I would start Peterman until the line gets better. Peterman has looked good every time he hits the field whether it's with the 1's or the 3's. Just don't want to see our QB of the future get broken. 

38 minutes ago, Doc said:

I think it had to do with the new rule change:

• If a runner (including a quarterback) gives himself up, then he is down where the first body part touches the ground. The runner should not benefit from additional yardage after the first body part touches. Defenders do not have to go down to initiate contact to stop a runner from gaining more yards after he contacts the ground.
  • A quarterback does not have to slide feet first to be considered to be giving himself up. Regardless whether the slide is feet first or head first, as long as he gives himself up, he should receive the protections afforded to him as a player in a defenseless posture. 

Josh made 2 or 3 really bad throws all on his own because he didn't set his base when he had time to do so. Still, we could pay a bunch of guys off the street that could block better than our OL. They're a total embarrassment. This is as bad as I've seen in 58 years of following the Bills.

DON'T start Josh until this OL gets fixed. I don't care if I have to wait until 2019 to see him in a game again. Another rap like that on the head and his career will be over before it begins.

27 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Well we were constantly in 3rd and long because of penalties and poor execution.  You can toss a 3 yard out on 3rd and long... because no one cares if you complete it.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

Groy whiffed hard on one of those sacks bad. All the guy did was side step him and run straight in. Still watching..

Groy whiffs again a little  later on letting the guy do a side step and run around him

And I got flamed for saying that if Groy couldn't even beat out Wood (who was one of the worst starting centers in the league and had been for years) that he is not starter material. It seems I was correct. The Bengals, who had perhaps the very worst OL in the NFL last year let Bodine walk without so much as an offer. That's how bad he was. These are the 2 candidates for the starting job at C. Sad. Mills is starting yet again as we continue to fail to find a starter-capable replacement.

11 minutes ago, Lurker said:

• If a runner (including a quarterback) gives himself up, then he is down where the first body part touches the ground. The runner should not benefit from additional yardage after the first body part touches. Defenders do not have to go down to initiate contact to stop a runner from gaining more yards after he contacts the ground.
  • A quarterback does not have to slide feet first to be considered to be giving himself up. Regardless whether the slide is feet first or head first, as long as he gives himself up, he should receive the protections afforded to him as a player in a defenseless posture. 

More of a dive than a slide. I am not sure if that matters, but it should when the QB is clearly diving for the marker and not really "giving himself up".

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, cd1 said:

Clay should have been able to run full speed and catch the ball in stride if it was well thrown. Clearly the ball was very badly underthrown. I thought I was watching one of EJ Manuel's wounded ducks or something.

11 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Nah, that one was just a really bad spot by the ref. He dove for the first down and clearly got it; the refs seem to have thought his foot hit out of bounds when it hadn't.

• Like (+1) 1

The offensive line was bad yesterday, but watching that, Allen didnt help himself a whole lot.   While it's hard to tell because you cant see what he was looking at downfield, 3 of the 5 plays that ended up in sacks are plays he needs to recognize and get the ball out faster (again I cant see what the wideouts are doing downfield).   Additionally, most of these plays look like they were designed half field reads, including roll outs which were designed for him to get the ball out quickly and find a rhythm. 

Outside of the offensive line, his wideouts did a pretty poor job helping the guy out.   You had drops by both Clay and Benjamin.   Clay coming too far back to the ball. 

He's young, but he doesnt escape culpability here.   If Tyrod has the same game I would be on the board writing that he maybe gets a D grade overall, same for Allen here.

The offense was pathetic on every level outside of some of a few running plays. 

10 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

And I got flamed for saying that if Groy couldn't even beat out Wood (who was one of the worst starting centers in the league and had been for years) that he is not starter material. It seems I was correct. The Bengals, who had perhaps the very worst OL in the NFL last year let Bodine walk without so much as an offer. That's how bad he was. These are the 2 candidates for the starting job at C. Sad. Mills is starting yet again as we continue to fail to find a starter-capable replacement.

Groy is not the one getting beat by the Bengals very much above average defensive line

21 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Yeah but when allens knee hit the ground the ball was at the first down marker. It was ridiculous that mcd didnt challenge that. And not only that, but we hurried to the line to get the punt off. Hard to fathom

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GreggTX said:

The "one"?

You singled out Groy.....who had maybe one bad play.....while Decausse and Miller were very bad....

If anything...Groy needs to stay right where he is....Bodine needs to be cut tomorrow.....and we need to address the OG positions

I am still dumbfounded that Teller has not found his way into the starting rotation

I agree.  The line was bad, but so was he.  I was very disappointed when in the 1st quarter (2nd and 13 at 7:02 remaining in first), he had 2 plays in a row where he could have done something, but made horrid passes instead. 

I'm talking about the one where he rolled out out of pressure to the right and had time and had Clay deep, but horribly under threw him. I was told with that cannon arm he would never under throw anyone.  Luckily it wasn't a pick.  The next play he had time and looked like some open guys but he just rifled it out there between them all.  I'm not sure who he was throwing to.  Another punt.  I don't think we can blame this totally on him being rattled from a bad OLIne.  It was in the first quarter. If he get rattled that fast, hopefully he stays on the porch.

He did make some nice short passes which I was glad to see. 

• Like (+1) 1

Once again: A lot of the fault for the poor offensive performance lies with the o-line. Anyone with eyes can see that.

HOWEVER....Allen did not play well, either. He was slow to come off his first read, processed the defense poorly, and held the ball too long. He also had a few downright inaccurate throws. He himself admitted that he was a bit surprised by the speed of the Bengals' first string defense.

Anyone who says the offensive struggles are SOLELY the fault of the o-line is mistaken, I'm afraid. Allen needs to improve. I think he will.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

I agree.  The line was bad, but so was he.  I was very disappointed when in the 1st quarter (2nd and 13 at 7:02 remaining in first), he had 2 plays in a row where he could have done something, but made horrid passes instead. 

I'm talking about the one where he rolled out out of pressure to the right and had time and had Clay deep, but horribly under threw him. I was told with that cannon arm he would never under throw anyone.  Luckily it wasn't a pick.  The next play he had time and looked like some open guys but he just rifled it out there between them all.  I'm not sure who he was throwing to.  Another punt.  I don't think we can blame this totally on him being rattled from a bad OLIne.  It was in the first quarter. If he get rattled that fast, hopefully he stays on the porch.

He did make some nice short passes which I was glad to see. 

His Jordan Palmer training apparently left him on that play, there is no human that cold throw a ball that far with both feet in the air.

4 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

One thing we have to understand about preseason OL play is there is very little scheming going on. The Bills would not just allow teams to pressure like that. There will be more chips and max protection.

Chips, most of the pressure was right up the middle, what are we going to do have a fullback constantly back there?

Edited by RoyBatty is alive

6 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

His Jordan Palmer training apparently left him on that play, there is no human that cold throw a ball that far with both feet in the air.

Exactly.  Was going to comment on this as well.  He threw it off his back foot or maybe between steps as you suggest.

He's got a lot of work to do.