Every Josh Allen snap in Bengals Preseason Game 3

cd1

1 minute ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

He had of sacks past 2-2.5. seconds, play not there throw it away.  He has to learn to throw it away, he tries to be a hero too often, escape backwards, that worked well at Wyoming, wont work as well in the NFL where all the defenders are quick. He worst pass which should have been intercepted was symptomatic of his day.    And if you are going to get sacked, learn to step up in the pocket and lose 2 yards not 10 or 15.

Step up where?  Bengals pushed the Bills interior lineman straight backwards immediately.  Atkins tossed Duccasse like a bean bag right into Allen

• Like (+1) 3

27 minutes ago, BB@Shooter said:

You want to play that game? How many interceptions should NP have had against the 2's and 3's? Some people should think before they type.

Think before I type huh.  What does Peterman have to do with this? *I never mentioned or inferred anything about Peterman.  But just for laughs to answer your question, after that first half debacle  i wasn't interested enough in concentrating on 2nd and 3rd stringers playing against each other so I can't answer your question nor do I care. 

Maybe you should think before you type.

17 hours ago, DuckyBoys said:

Step up where?  Bengals pushed the Bills interior lineman straight backwards immediately.  Atkins tossed Duccasse like a bean bag right into Allen

Yeah actually that is true but he jalso set up to shallow on a few plays making it worse and other times trying to be a hero too often, take your loss.  #99 of the Bengals, I have never seen such a big man on the run the lose so often.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive

I think someone mentioned this above, but a few screens would have slowed that defense down.  Even a little RB dumpoff around the line of scrimmage would have gotten decent yardage on most plays.  If the D-Line is pushing around your O-line you invite that pressure in and then take advantage of the space they have vacated.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, co_springs_billsfan said:

I think someone mentioned this above, but a few screens would have slowed that defense down.  Even a little RB dumpoff around the line of scrimmage would have gotten decent yardage on most plays.  If the D-Line is pushing around your O-line you invite that pressure in and then take advantage of the space they have vacated.

We wouldn't even have to tell the O-line about potential screens & it would have worked out beautifully.

My fear is that if the O-line knew about the screen they might give it away, somehow...

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Ok want to play that game he should also have had an interception.

Biggest issue I see is he staring down his receivers, retreating far too back, taking way too long (learn to throw it away).

True.  But a WR's job is to catch passes thrown near him.  DB's are DB's and not WR's for a reason and long bombs are low percentage plays even for WR's.  But more on that play below.

58 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

I agree.  The line was bad, but so was he.  I was very disappointed when in the 1st quarter (2nd and 13 at 7:02 remaining in first), he had 2 plays in a row where he could have done something, but made horrid passes instead. 

I'm talking about the one where he rolled out out of pressure to the right and had time and had Clay deep, but horribly under threw him. I was told with that cannon arm he would never under throw anyone.  Luckily it wasn't a pick.  The next play he had time and looked like some open guys but he just rifled it out there between them all.  I'm not sure who he was throwing to.  Another punt.  I don't think we can blame this totally on him being rattled from a bad OLIne.  It was in the first quarter. If he get rattled that fast, hopefully he stays on the porch.

He did make some nice short passes which I was glad to see. 

Yep, he threw off his back foot on that play.  I'm thinking he wanted to get the ball off quickly and was (rightfully) worried about getting smashed if he took the time to try and set his feet.  As for the next play, I honestly think he was trying to get the ball to Benjamin and someone else (couldn't tell who) was in the path and got his hand on it instead, thinking it was for him.  I'd like to be in the classroom tomorrow and know what he was thinking on those and every play.

34 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

True. Quite a few head coaches, even some good ones, are terrible at in game management. I've not been impressed with Shawn in that regard for some time. Allen and the offence needed a lift and a little momentum. Shawn let him down. Also punted once on a fourth and short down around the Bungles 40 yard line. Earned him all of 20 net yards of irrelevant field position. It's preseason and he takes the ball out of the kid's hands. Asinine. 

Regarding Josh, Yes the line was awful but there were also three or four downs where he could have and should have gotten rid of the ball sooner. He said so himself post game. He looked yesterday a whole lot like he did at times (not the good times) at WYO. JMO but he has more work to do before he's ready to start.

I agree.  It's pre-season.  He should have been challenging and going for it.  Punt only on long distance 4th downs. 

9 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Towards the beginning of the video; that 2nd and 13 play on like our 10 yard line...

He ran to his right and threw on the run.  His footwork was horrible.  His man had his defender beat, initially, by at least 5 yards.  Had the ball been thrown high and hard so the WR could run under the ball, it would have been like a 90 yard TD play, unless the DB has enormous speed and could run the WR down.  

Instead, despite his killer arm, the ball was horribly under thrown and would have been an INT probably 8 out of 10 times, but the DB dropped the ball despite it hitting him square in his chest/hands.

The immediately next play Allen fires a 100mph fastball in a seam between coverage but throws too high and it goes over the under D, the over D, and the Bills receiver in the middle of the sandwich.

This is all stuff Allen has been doing all along.  

The OL was not an issue on either of these plays.

He was flushed out of the pocket on that 2nd and 13 so the OL isn't blameless.

2 hours ago, Doc said:

He should have been 8/12 for at least 70 yards.  And I still have no idea why McD didn't challenge that scramble he had, as he got the 1st down.

Does that hypothetical stat line figure in the negative 40 yards he gave up on sacks?

2 hours ago, JP's Voice said:

Looks like 2-3 of those hurries/sacks were on Josh/ WRs not being open down field. I think a very real solution here is to have a back/TE coming out of the back field every single passing play for a check down. Charles Clay and Kelvin Benjamin NEED to catch every pass that hits their hands. Also, why the heck is Patrick DiMarco ever lining up outside?!!!!!

innovative offense put the slowest guy outside and have him run down the field will fake teams out never expecting it and CB will trip over feet while trying to not overrun him

54 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Towards the beginning of the video; that 2nd and 13 play on like our 10 yard line...

He ran to his right and threw on the run.  His footwork was horrible.  His man had his defender beat, initially, by at least 5 yards.  Had the ball been thrown high and hard so the WR could run under the ball, it would have been like a 90 yard TD play, unless the DB has enormous speed and could run the WR down.  

Instead, despite his killer arm, the ball was horribly under thrown and would have been an INT probably 8 out of 10 times, but the DB dropped the ball despite it hitting him square in his chest/hands.

The immediately next play Allen fires a 100mph fastball in a seam between coverage but throws too high and it goes over the under D, the over D, and the Bills receiver in the middle of the sandwich.

This is all stuff Allen has been doing all along.  

The OL was not an issue on either of these plays.

So basically we are gonna pick out plays that can be counted on a couple of fingers as on Allen.....the rest of it is on the rest of the team?

because if that is the case.....Allen did pretty well

Just now, John from Riverside said:

So basically we are gonna pick out plays that can be counted on a couple of fingers as on Allen.....the rest of it is on the rest of the team?

because if that is the case.....Allen did pretty well

should he get a total pass because of the pressure?  Should the same standard be used for A J in week 2?

1 minute ago, Jauronimo said:

Yes, the yardage lost on the sacks he took eclipsed his passing yardage in the first half.  Is someone else to blame for his 5 first half sacks?

No.  He was to blame for the piss-poor blocking.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2