Every Josh Allen snap in Bengals Preseason Game 3

cd1

10 minutes ago, BillsSbSoon said:

Yeah but when allens knee hit the ground the ball was at the first down marker. It was ridiculous that mcd didnt challenge that. And not only that, but we hurried to the line to get the punt off. Hard to fathom

True. Quite a few head coaches, even some good ones, are terrible at in game management. I've not been impressed with Shawn in that regard for some time. Allen and the offence needed a lift and a little momentum. Shawn let him down. Also punted once on a fourth and short down around the Bungles 40 yard line. Earned him all of 20 net yards of irrelevant field position. It's preseason and he takes the ball out of the kid's hands. Asinine. 

Regarding Josh, Yes the line was awful but there were also three or four downs where he could have and should have gotten rid of the ball sooner. He said so himself post game. He looked yesterday a whole lot like he did at times (not the good times) at WYO. JMO but he has more work to do before he's ready to start.

Just now, starrymessenger said:

True. Quite a few head coaches, even some good ones, are terrible at in game management. I've not been impressed with Shawn in that regard for some time. Allen and the offence needed a lift and a little momentum. Shawn let him down. Also punted once on a fourth and short down around the Bungles 40 yard line. Earned him all of 20 net yards of irrelevant field position. It's preseason and he takes the ball out of the kid's hands. Asinine.  

Punting unit needs practice too and Shawn's gotta find out who can cover.

1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Ok want to play that game he should also have had an interception.

Biggest issue I see is he staring down his receivers, retreating far too back, taking way too long (learn to throw it away).

You want to play that game? How many interceptions should NP have had against the 2's and 3's? Some people should think before they type.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ddaryl said:

Miller and Ducasse continually got manhandled like children in diocese 

Miller is atrocious; he bends at the hips not the knees and simply lacks the athleticism/balance/quickness to take that first quick step in order to keep his man in front of him.

Most of the break downs on the OL happened immediately, with the DL's first move.  Our OL men couldn't  adjust and the fight was over before it began.

Miller is HORRIBLE.

Ducasse is just as bad! 

Edited by Fadingpain
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BBills88 said:

WTF is the OLINE being taught.  Yes Miller made some mistakes. Ducasse & Groy were getting manhandled all day.  I hope they release Ducasse and put Teller in their or get someone in hear. No Matter who the QB is they are going to have long days.

Ducasse was particularly horrible. On that play where Atkins drove him into Allen, Ducasse looks unprepared from the snap, he lifts his head up way too high, loses leverage, Atkins gets under him, literally lifts him off the ground as he walks him straight into Allen's face. 

Aside from the OL, it really kinda felt like the whole team went into yesterday's game seriously unprepared or went in with a mindset of playing it safe to avoid injury. Too bad for them the Bengals were 100% ready to throw down.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GreggTX said:

And I got flamed for saying that if Groy couldn't even beat out Wood (who was one of the worst starting centers in the league and had been for years) that he is not starter material. It seems I was correct. The Bengals, who had perhaps the very worst OL in the NFL last year let Bodine walk without so much as an offer. That's how bad he was. These are the 2 candidates for the starting job at C. Sad. Mills is starting yet again as we continue to fail to find a starter-capable replacement.

I dont believe that was true, I was reading another article on here the other day, was from teh Cincy equivalent of Buffalo Rumblings, the Bengals offered him a multi year deal (but with not much guaranteed) so he took the shorter deal here with more guaranteed money, basically betting on himself

1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Biggest issue I see is he staring down his receivers, retreating far too back, taking way too long (learn to throw it away).

He barely had time to blink his eyes, let alone stare.

• Like (+1) 1

Towards the beginning of the video; that 2nd and 13 play on like our 10 yard line...

He ran to his right and threw on the run.  His footwork was horrible.  His man had his defender beat, initially, by at least 5 yards.  Had the ball been thrown high and hard so the WR could run under the ball, it would have been like a 90 yard TD play, unless the DB has enormous speed and could run the WR down.  

Instead, despite his killer arm, the ball was horribly under thrown and would have been an INT probably 8 out of 10 times, but the DB dropped the ball despite it hitting him square in his chest/hands.

The immediately next play Allen fires a 100mph fastball in a seam between coverage but throws too high and it goes over the under D, the over D, and the Bills receiver in the middle of the sandwich.

This is all stuff Allen has been doing all along.  

The OL was not an issue on either of these plays.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, No Place To Hyde said:

With the blocking in front of Allen maybe he just wanted to get the kid off the field before Atkins ate him.

This was my thought too. The punting unit practically sprinted onto the field. In a real game he would have challenged that.

Regarding the deep shot to Clay that was short, definitely not a great throw, but Clay also kept running on a broken play when he should have turned and come back. Kirkpatrick was headed back for the ball before clay realized that it was in the air. Not excusing Allen's throw at all but Clay needs to plant and run downhill through the much smaller CB and get that pass. 

The play after that it's hard to tell if he was going for the receiver who had cut in, or Benjamin on the outside. Either way, not a great pass.

Edited by whatdrought

10 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

Ducasse was particularly horrible. On that play where Atkins drove him into Allen, Ducasse looks unprepared from the snap, he lifts his head up way too high, loses leverage, Atkins gets under him, literally lifts him off the ground as he walks him straight into Allen's face. 

Aside from the OL, it really kinda felt like the whole team went into yesterday's game seriously unprepared or went in with a mindset of playing it safe to avoid injury. Too bad for them the Bengals were 100% ready to throw down.

Not cutting Vlad any slack because he doesn't deserve it, but Geno Atkins has one of the best bull rush moves in the game. That's why he gets around ten sacks a year as an interior defensive lineman. Such an excellent player.

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

This was my thought too. The punting unit practically sprinted onto the field. In a real game he would have challenged that.

Im not so sure.

• Like (+1) 1

No QB can deal with immediate pressure up the middle.  O line was horrible.  Really should have been 7 or 8 sacks but he was able to pull away from tackles. In a regular season game they would quickly put in one step throws and some screens/draws to help negate the pressure. There was no adjustment just three step drop with immediate pressure right in his face mask at the top of the drop. With that said,he didn't appear scared or rattled.  He'll be fine, he looks far more polished than what I expected .  They can roll out Peterman week one just don't have him throw any outs.  They better keep all 3 qbs, with this OL expect some missed games

1 hour ago, Boatdrinks said:

The ( surprising)  underthrow to Clay is the only one I really can fault him for. The protection was mostly awful. Of course, Daboll could have had him go out and complete short quick passes a la Darnold. What would that have told them? This is when I remind myself that they were trying to evaluate something. Not scheming to negate a rush and win a preseason game. 

One thing I noticed... in the first preseason game they had the RBs and TEs chip on almost every pass play to help the Oline out. And Peterman and the line looked a ton better.  Yesterday... there was none of that. 

Its entirely possible that they wanted to evaluate Allen and the line in a different scheme to see how they performed. 

I have 2 primary concerns.  We're in late August, 2 weeks away from the season opener and have zero consistency or cohesion on offense.  There is no consistent starter at QB, oline, or WR.    No consistent scheme seems to have emerged.   

Its concerning because how how many times have we seen all this preseason shuffling result in a good start to the season?   Yeah... never. 

And secondly, how can McD and the coaches not have it all figured out by now?   How many times have we seen the... its  preseason, there going vanilla on purpose excuse?    Its concerning to say the least.  

I wanna think they know what their doing.  But I've seen enough football to know, at this point when your team looks abysmal in all facets of the game,  the start of the season isn't looking good. 

So, i'm not sure how long QB's are allowed to hold the ball, but it really looks like on the sacks that he's holding it for no more than 2.5 seconds or so from the top of his drop to the first contact. Not sure what else he's supposed to do when they're running 10-15 yard outs and delayed wheels underneath and his receivers aren't separating. Honestly, the Oline is obviously terrible, but it looks like the majority of the sacks were scheme issues. 

His worst throws were the two back to back I mentioned above, but both of those were on the run due to a crappy pocket.

16 minutes ago, Gugny said:

He barely had time to blink his eyes, let alone stare.

He had of sacks past 2-2.5. seconds, play not there throw it away.  He has to learn to throw it away, he tries to be a hero too often, escape backwards, that worked well at Wyoming, wont work as well in the NFL where all the defenders are quick. He worst pass which should have been intercepted was symptomatic of his day.    And if you are going to get sacked, learn to step up in the pocket and lose 2 yards not 10 or 15.

1 minute ago, Dan said:

One thing I noticed... in the first preseason game they had the RBs and TEs chip on almost every pass play to help the Oline out. And Peterman and the line looked a ton better.  Yesterday... there was none of that. 

Its entirely possible that they wanted to evaluate Allen and the line in a different scheme to see how they performed. 

I have 2 primary concerns.  We're in late August, 2 weeks away from the season opener and have zero consistency or cohesion on offense.  There is no consistent starter at QB, oline, or WR.    No consistent scheme seems to have emerged.   

Its concerning because how how many times have we seen all this preseason shuffling result in a good start to the season?   Yeah... never. 

And secondly, how can McD and the coaches not have it all figured out by now?   How many times have we seen the... its  preseason, there going vanilla on purpose excuse?    Its concerning to say the least.  

I wanna think they know what their doing.  But I've seen enough football to know, at this point when your team looks abysmal in all facets of the game,  the start of the season isn't looking good. 

I don’t expect they would show any kind of consistent scheme and put that on ps film. I agree with your overall assessment though. While a team can play well in preseason and have it mean squat in the regular season, it’s likely not good if you look terrible at just about everything. I know someone will bring up the 90’s Bills, but come on. Those teams had lots of talent and everyone knew it. It’s a bit harder to just say r-e-l-a-x about this squad.