Cleveland Plain Dealer Beat Writer Comments on Corey Coleman Today

Irv

I was in Cleveland today dropping a daughter off in college.  Caught this in the Plain Dealer and I though TBD would like this.  Based on this analysis - sounds like a 7th is about right.  Credits to Cleveland Plain Dealer and Cleveland.com.  Sorry about bad fonts.  Not sure how to fix that.  

ABOUT COREY COLEMAN

Why did the Browns trade Corey Coleman?

Some media members focused on comments by offensive coordinator Todd Haley, who ripped into the receiver for a lack of effort in the first episode of HBO's Hard Knocks.(....) John Dorsey had to say (...) to the media  "I think there are some younger talent (receivers) who develop faster than the way Corey has played," said Dorsey.

(....) My guess is Dorsey saw the Browns' 2016 first-rounder as a young man who was overrated by the previous front office and lacked the desire to make up for his weaknesses. It was more than him just breaking a hand in each of his first two seasons. Coleman seemed to have a sense of entitlement as he was immediately declared a starter as a rookie.There was something missing with Coleman. The 5-foot-11 Baylor product didn't run crisp routes going out for passes. His hands were suspect.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
edited for fair use vs copyright infringement
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Thanks for posting. I am fine with giving up a 7th in 2020 for a guy who has potential. Hope he can turn it around in Buffalo with a QB who can find him deep. As for coming to Cleveland, which school did you drop off your kids at? JCU or CWSU? Both great schools for their respective fields.

• Like (+1) 1

There had to be a reason Cleveland was dumping a first round pick for a seventh.  I agree, it was a small price for Beane to pay for a player with Coleman's skill set.  I think Buffalo has an exceedingly strong locker room at present, and a coaching staff that has shown they can help a player realize his potential.  Maybe those factors will help the light to come on for Coleman.  If not, Buffalo will just have to go with a group of WRs that aren't quite as fast.

7 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

zero and 16

nuff said

Pretty big indictment of the Brownies coaching staff that they didn't seem to do any player development with Coleman either.   

Doesn't seem very process-oriented, actually...

• Like (+1) 2

I'll keep saying it: The Bills' 7th round pick at WR this year was Austin Proehl.

You don't get guys as physically talented as Coleman in the 7th round. You just don't. And if he doesn't work out, you've lost basically nothing.

It's a teeny-tiny risk, extremely high reward acquisition. 

Personally, I believe he's going to flourish as the deep threat in this offense. He was EXACTLY what the Bills WR room needed. Coleman opposite Benjamin with Zay or Kerley in the slot, McCoy at RB, and Clay at TE is going to prove to be a legitimate NFL offense...so long as one of the three QBs on the Bills roster turns out to be a good player.

• Like (+1) 14

I have a good friend who is a die-hard Browns fan.  There is some sentiment amongst some Browns fans, that Coleman was mis-used in Cleveland.  They say the strength of his game was playing the slot, but he didn't get to do it very often.  

6 hours ago, Lurker said:

Pretty big indictment of the Brownies coaching staff that they didn't seem to do any player development with Coleman either.   

Doesn't seem very process-oriented, actually...

It is hard to do that when you win just a couple of games in three seasons.

I'm curious -- what would we expect a team to say about a 1st round pick they traded for a bag of chips?  That he is still going to be great and just needed a change of scenery?

Coleman had bad luck with injuries and perhaps he did suffer from a case of entitlement syndrome.  Who cares now?  The Bills took no risk in acquiring him.

By the way, I love how everyone in Cleveland is trying to make excuses for Callaway.

• Like (+1) 3

Did anyone else think this was a complete Dorsey apologist piece?  For example:

Dorsey getting to see the Browns over drafted Coleman:  sorry, but Dorsey scouted Coleman when he was with the Chiefs, he had thoughts on him when he came in

Callaways small bag of weed: NFL doesnt care if its a small bag or big bag, it's all illegal

Higgins etc: Higgins was an extremely productive player at CSU  and would have been a high draft pick if he wasn't slow.  He isnt some Dorsey revelation.  And not for nothing if the players Dorsey has outside of Coleman are so gifted why is he trying to sign washed up Dez Bryant?

Bottom line is the dummy traded a talented player during camp for peanuts without knowing the wideout he drafted to replace him on the roster was just busted for pot and weapons (which the writer here chooses not to talk about).  

Edited by thenorthremembers
  • Like (+1) 1

He’s got talent. It will go as far as he wants it to! Maybe this trade  will light a fire in him?

Off topic a bit. Caught the comment about Landry having many ways to create just enough room to make catches when he appears tightly covered. I’m interested to see if they have a Qb who can put the ball where it needs to be to take advantage of that. 

21 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Umm, yes I have.  I think we'll have Benjamin, Jones, Holmes, Streeter, Reilly, and RayRay. 

Doubt he gets cut. KB and Zay have to prove they can stay healthy. Holmes is pedestrian at best as a wideout but has a special teams feather in his cap. Streeter, MEH.  Reilly and Ray Ray have yet to play in an actual NFL game though I like them to contribute this season. I know analyst rankings don't mean too much but Coleman was ranked #2 on many lists behind Treadwell. To say he was over drafted is fair but its not like he was a 5th round prospect. He can play and maybe a change of scenery will prove the Bills right in risking a 2020 7th.  

5 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Doubt he gets cut. KB and Zay have to prove they can stay healthy. Holmes is pedestrian at best as a wideout but has a special teams feather in his cap. Streeter, MEH.  Reilly and Ray Ray have yet to play in an actual NFL game though I like them to contribute this season. I know analyst rankings don't mean too much but Coleman was ranked #2 on many lists behind Treadwell. To say he was over drafted is fair but its not like he was a 5th round prospect. He can play and maybe a change of scenery will prove the Bills right in risking a 2020 7th.  

I hope you're right.  He has the athletic gifts but from comments I've read doesn't apply himself to learning routes, etc.  Hopefully McD can set him on the right path.  My gut reaction is it won't work out but I'd love to be wrong.

55 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I hope you're right.  He has the athletic gifts but from comments I've read doesn't apply himself to learning routes, etc.  

The Browns drafted him knowing he had very limited knowledge of route running from the Baylor progam.  Then they seemed to say, "hey this is the NFL, we don't have to teach that skill here."  

And they wonder why they've been 1-31?   That's on Jackson, IMO, And how he still has a job is a mystery to me.   If a player "doesn't apply himself" its up to the coaching staff to make sure he does.   Its called accountability.   Unfortunately for Browns fans,  I don't think anyone in the organization (including Dorsey) knows what that means...

Edited by Lurker

Just now, Lurker said:

The Browns drafted him knowing he had very limited knowledge of route running from the Baylor progam.  Then they seemed to say, "hay this is the NFL, we don't have to teach that skill here."  

And they wonder why they've been 1-31?   That's on Jackson, IMO, And how he still has a job is a mystery to me.   If a player "doesn't apply himself" its up to the coaching staff to make sure he does.   Its called accountability.   Unfortunately for Browns fans,  I don't think anyone in the organization (including Dorsey) knows what that means...

Like I said, I hope McD gets him going.  I am just not optimistic it happens.

• Like (+1) 1

Assuming he did have a sense of entitlement, perhaps being dumped by the worst team in the league will serve as a wake-up call.

Trading a 7th for him was a low-risk, high-potential reward.

Edited by WhoTom

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Umm, yes I have.  I think we'll have Benjamin, Jones, Holmes, Streeter, Reilly, and RayRay. 

4 hours ago, ALF said:

I just hope a fresh start for Coleman works out. Beane is betting $3.5M on him to succeed. 

It seems to me that he was brought in to be a top 4 receiver.  You don't take on 3.5 million in dead money for a guy you plan

on cutting. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

It seems to me that he was brought in to be a top 4 receiver.  You don't take on 3.5 million in dead money for a guy you plan

on cutting. 

I agree he was brought in to be that.  I disagree that he will ultimately be that.

5 hours ago, MURPHD6 said:

Referring to a player as being entitled is just fancy way of blaming them for poor coaching and stupid personnel decisions.

Right-o.  Good coaching fixes everything.  So, why isn't Dareus still on the Bills?

3 hours ago, eball said:

Umm, probably not.  Have you seen the Bills' WR room?

My thought exactly.  He'll stick with the Bills for 2018 simply because we don't have anybody better than him ... although if the Bills scour the waiver wire after final roster cut down, that may not remain true.

I can only imagine that the local press in Cleveland had to find some set of reasons for this trade.  What have the Bills lost if the guy doesn’t pan out?  A seventh rounder - who cares?  If the guy does consistently play up to his athleticism and potential then the Bills got a steal.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, JP's Voice said:

Thanks for posting. I am fine with giving up a 7th in 2020 for a guy who has potential. Hope he can turn it around in Buffalo with a QB who can find him deep. As for coming to Cleveland, which school did you drop off your kids at? JCU or CWSU? Both great schools for their respective fields.

Actually went through Cleveland on my way to Tiffin. Daughter a Freshman on the soccer team.  Brother-in-Law was prof at Case.  Very good school.    

18 hours ago, SoTier said:

Right-o.  Good coaching fixes everything.  So, why isn't Dareus still on the Bills?

Would you be motivated to play for the Cleveland Browns if you were their #1 pick at reciever after watching them pass on Carson Wentz?

2 hours ago, MURPHD6 said:

Would you be motivated to play for the Cleveland Browns if you were their #1 pick at reciever after watching them pass on Carson Wentz?

Isn't your statement a perfect example of a "sense of entitlement" ....justifying why some idiot throws away a rare career opportunity simply because the specific job situation doesn't meet his standards?

Edited by SoTier

59 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Probably about the same fans said about Sammy Watkins.... "Jordan Matthews is better." 

You'll have to remind me of all the fans who said that.  And, by the way, Sammy wasn't traded for a bag of chips.