Cleveland Plain Dealer Beat Writer Comments on Corey Coleman Today

Irv

On 8/13/2018 at 7:51 AM, billsbackto81 said:

Doubt he gets cut. KB and Zay have to prove they can stay healthy. Holmes is pedestrian at best as a wideout but has a special teams feather in his cap. Streeter, MEH.  Reilly and Ray Ray have yet to play in an actual NFL game though I like them to contribute this season. I know analyst rankings don't mean too much but Coleman was ranked #2 on many lists behind Treadwell. To say he was over drafted is fair but its not like he was a 5th round prospect. He can play and maybe a change of scenery will prove the Bills right in risking a 2020 7th.  

The irony of saying guys will have to prove they can stay healthy is awesome.

23 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

The irony of saying guys will have to prove they can stay healthy is awesome.

Well I guess their always  healthy,.....until their not.  Plenty of receivers have good track records health wise. KB and Zay and Coleman for that matter are not those guys.

You're right though, it is kinda ironic.

6 hours ago, MURPHD6 said:

Would you be motivated to play for the Cleveland Browns if you were their #1 pick at reciever after watching them pass on Carson Wentz?

I'd be motivated to play my best; if the team doesn't improve, then I've set myself up for free-agency.

Coleman may have had a sense of entitlement about him when entering the league but it's clear the Browns didn't do much to try and develop him and coach him up.

I think with the change of scenery for him and the fact that he feels like Cleveland gave up on him, he'll be motivated to work hard and earn a spot on this team. Beyond his speed, there are obviously other reasons Beane feels like he can succeed here. Bills have that streaming show coming up on Facebook (tomorrow, I think, it's called "Buffalo Bills: Embedded") and they showed a clip of it during the Panthers game last week. McDermott was speaking in front of the team and said, "If I have to question your effort, you can go play somewhere else because you're not going to play here." So if Coleman comes in with the same mindset he had as a rookie in Cleveland, he's not gonna last long. But, like I said, there has to be something else they know about the kid for them to bring him in and they clearly envision an important role for him as well. I think Daboll will be able to identify what Coleman already has a knack for and he'll develop plays around those skills while he works on becoming a more well-rounded receiver as the season carries on. The speed element alone is huge, because other than him, Kaelin Clay is really the only other receiver with speed but he's not a guy defenses are gonna worry about when he's on the field. Coleman could definitely be a guy defenses will have to pay attention to and he can take the top off a defense and open things up for KB, Zay, Clay, etc. I would assume that's what they're hoping for at the moment.

I think the Browns were/are a hot mess. That's tough to play for. While I think any player who gets to play in the NFL should always give 100%, I can definitely see why/how a guy might give less effort. Coleman has had 1 victory since being drafted. The team has been a mess and while they will most likely be better this year, I can absolutely see why his efforts may not have been up to par. Again, I don't agree with it, but like someone else said, a change of scenery and competent coaching staff can make all the difference. If he sucks, oh well, the bills litterally gave up almost nothing 

He didn’t run a route tree at Baylor. How about in Cleveland?

Does he play slot or does he play outside? 

On 8/13/2018 at 4:19 PM, Irv said:

Actually went through Cleveland on my way to Tiffin. Daughter a Freshman on the soccer team.  Brother-in-Law was prof at Case.  Very good school.    

The Case PhDs I’ve worked with are smart.

Is see Coleman as another Goodwin.  Most of these speed guys are the same:  they get hurt fairly regularly, usually don't have great hands, and only get a few targets per week, but they're a necessary part of any decent aerial attack and can be game changers.

My favorite way to play these guys is have them do 5 deep Go Routes in a row, and then do a little comeback or curl route like 10 yards, or as soon as the corner seems to be turning his hips.   Gets huge separation.

Coach McDermott said in this AM's media time that Corey is in that transition phase between digesting the playbook and being expected to know the playbook.  He said they have a plan for Corey this week.  They want him to play fast and physical.   I don't usually read too much into what is said in the Q&A's with the media, but I wouldn't be surprised if they focus Corey on one position this week. It's most likely the outside as opposed to the slot.  Check to see if he has mastered the plays for the outside receiver position.   Even though I think playing inside in a 3 or 4 wide will create some tremendous mismatches, he doesn't appear to be that advanced through the playbook yet. I think Corey's ability to translate the paper of the playbook into playmaking on the field the next three weeks is key to him being part of the final 53. 

A lot of folks think him being on the final 53 is assured, however, just based on how carefully coach McD chose his words to answer questions about Corey today, I would say that his position on the final 53 is not assured.