Mark Ludwiczak calls out the national media’s coverage of Josh Allen

It depends on the context. He is a first round QB that has yet to take significant reps from a 5th round 5 INT in one half second year player.  I suppose you could call that disappointing.  But to those that know, Allen is probably right where he should be.  

My guess and hope is AJ plays two series in pre-season game 1, Peterman the rest of the first half, and Allen gets the entire second half.  Allen lights it up and earns significant 1st and 2nd team reps heading into game 2 and is the 2nd QB to play in game 2.

All that said, I can't imagine Allen beating out AJ for the starting job against Baltimore at this point.  If he starts in 2018 it will be later in the season.

• Like (+1) 6

I have not been to training camp, but the reports are exactly what we expected from him.  Allen is making some throws the other two guys probably couldn't make.  But then he's missing some easy throws too.  Mostly, he's performing like the rookie he is.  

I'm not sure who would be disappointed with him.  So far, he's pretty much as advertised: a raw talent.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I have not been to training camp, but the reports are exactly what we expected from him.  Allen is making some throws the other two guys probably couldn't make.  But then he's missing some easy throws too.  Mostly, he's performing like the rookie he is.  

I'm not sure who would be disappointed with him.  So far, he's pretty much as advertised: a raw talent.  

It's what some of us expected. It's what I expected. Obviously Bills fans exist that hold Allen accountable to save next season. 

Just because it's a #1 pick it seems there are these unwritten rules that this guy is an immediate savior. 

Edited by Lfod

22 minutes ago, Dadonkadonk said:

It depends on the context. He is a first round QB that has yet to take significant reps from a 5th round 5 INT in one half second year player.  I suppose you could call that disappointing.  But to those that know, Allen is probably right where he should be.  

My guess and hope is AJ plays two series in pre-season game 1, Peterman the rest of the first half, and Allen gets the entire second half.  Allen lights it up and earns significant 1st and 2nd team reps heading into game 2 and is the 2nd QB to play in game 2.

All that said, I can't imagine Allen beating out AJ for the starting job against Baltimore at this point.  If he starts in 2018 it will be later in the season.

McBeane said nothing will change until after first preseason game so how do you expect something to change when it cant.. 

• Like (+1) 1

Good for him, the National media’s lack of knowledge ( or interest) re: the Bills is comical. Just the other day, I had NFLN on and the three hosts were discussing goings on in the various training camps. One host ( female , don’t recall her name) said it was becoming clearer that Nate Peterman was progressing in the offense faster than the others because he was working with first team. Just clueless...

I've seen a number of tweets the last week or so highlighting an incompletion from as Allen confirmation of how much he sucks.

The concerns about him are justified but it seems like some people are really hoping he'll be a bust. 

I don't even think it's about hating Allen. I think part of it is a dig at the Bills, because of course we'd trade up and pick the wrong guy.

It's also about these "experts" maintaining whatever credibility they have as writers

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Good post, but we have to see how the QBs look in the preseason games.  Or at least the first one.

I am drawing no definitive conclusions right now about anything.  Like saying no way can Allen beat out AJ for Game 1 starter.

Too early.  Also, these guys are getting the reps/work that they are not necessarily b/c they are good or bad, but because that is the system that was drawn up weeks ago.  I assume.  

Things are likely to change a bit once we see all 3 perform in PS Game 1 and 2.  If Allen is still getting limited 3rd team reps after a couple games, my attitude would change.

1 minute ago, CNY315 said:

I've seen a number of tweets the last week or so highlighting an incompletion from as Allen confirmation of how much he sucks.

The concerns about him are justified but it seems like some people are really hoping he'll be a bust. 

I don't even think it's about hating Allen. I think part of it is a dig at the Bills, because of course we'd trade up and pick the wrong guy.

It's also about these "experts" maintaining whatever credibility they have as writers

Before the Bills drafted Josh Allen I seen a lot of dislike for Allen. I even seen a joke video on this site about the Bills picking Allen like a nightmare sequence.

I was actually surprised when it happened. I had no dog in the race but with the level of trash being talked about Allen and the tweet thing I thought it was Rosen. 

I agree with the thought process. Pick the big physical specimen. So I grew to really love the pick after awhile. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, GG said:

We’ll, if Mahomes can be disappointing in camp, then so can Allen, darn it!

Except he's not.  I am impressed with all the replies to Bleacher Report's stupid tweet.  They are not going to let Bleacher Report get away with lazy, stupid reporting.

32 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think it’s a lot of confirmation bias for the national media. I think NFLN does a good job for the most part but the rest search for reasons to prove they were right and report them.

I have a legitimate confirmation bias with Peterman.  That Charger game last year ruined me

1 hour ago, Boatdrinks said:

Good for him, the National media’s lack of knowledge ( or interest) re: the Bills is comical. Just the other day, I had NFLN on and the three hosts were discussing goings on in the various training camps. One host ( female , don’t recall her name) said it was becoming clearer that Nate Peterman was progressing in the offense faster than the others because he was working with first team. Just clueless...

There are no longer news "reporters", only news repeaters.  The host likely never read the actual scouting report, she was handed a couple bullet points on the teleprompter and picked one to talk about for oh, 10 seconds.  Of course whoever put the talking points together didn't do any real research either and just repeated the "conventional wisdom" that the order of precedence would be based on which team guys are playing with.  No journalism required … throw some inaccurate information out there, next bullet point, does my hair look OK? 

Most of what some people call "fake news" isn't so much false reporting as lazy reporting.  Just look at the substandard editing in major big-name newspapers (even WSJ, NYT) and you will see that journalism in America is dead.  Pity.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CNY315 said:

If any other team traded up to take a guy in the top 10 and that guy wasn’t beating out peterman and McCarron we would be roasting them a bit. 

It’s natural. You take the high risk guy and until he shows reward you will get some skepticism. The optics right now warrant a raised eyebrow from outsiders.

7 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

If any other team traded up to take a guy in the top 10 and that guy wasn’t beating out peterman and McCarron we would be roasting them a bit. 

It’s natural. You take the high risk guy and until he shows reward you will get some skepticism. The optics right now warrant a raised eyebrow from outsiders.

But it was also understood even among his supporters that he would be a bit of a project. That's how they've approach it so far

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, CNY315 said:

“Those” people HAVE to hope JA busts because if he succeeds it would throw their analytics out of wack, the sun would set in the east, rain would come from the ground and fall into the sky, and the zombie apocalypse would begin at midnight. ?

Edited by JaCrispy

I blame this whole issue on Sean McDermott.

1. For some reason he felt necessary after Allen was drafted to make it abundantly clear to Bills nation and the entire NFL that Allen 7th overall pick would start as the #3 QB throughout OTAs and minicamp apparently to make clear he had to "earn" his reps. He then simultaneously handed the starting MLB job to Edmunds without earning anything. Diminishing Allen in this manner was not necessary. Rosen, Mayfield, Darnold were not treated in this fashion by their head coaches. He setup Allen as being a "disappointment" by sticking with "his plan" for Allen which I believe was juvenile and flawed.

2. Under the guise of building "foundations" for Allen which apparently include Allen learning how to cross the street, find his locker, hold a clipboard, watch the other 2 QBs lace up their cleats, learn the playbook, etc. was ridiculous. Allen scored the highest in the Wunderlich of all QBs in the Combine. What the #7 was going to learn from McCarron or Peterman could be learned in an hour.

3. McDermott repeatedly stayed the course on his plan for Allen while his "franchise QB" was getting roasted in the local and national media for not progressing up the charts by using his cute "this is a rep chart not a depth chart" comment. McDermott just continues to allow his #7 get roasted while he "smirks" in pressers when local media push him on his plans for Allen.

4. The local press exacerbate the problem by feeling the need to report only the "completion percentage" they see of all  the QBs which many view as Allen's weakness. Quoting these stats without also quoting the YPA or YPC misrepresents the results of the QB's target choices. The local press apparently view QB1 stats of say 5/5, 30, 0,0 as better than QB2 stats of 3/5 125,1,0 for instance. Quoting completion % only is completely out of context. We know that one QB hesitates to throw the ball ala Tyrod Taylor so as not to get picked and throws safer routes while one QB throws the ball downfield. Quess who is  who. The stat however is completely misleading and Allen's perceived inaccuracy is perpetuated by those reported stats.

5. It has been reported by the press that their have been a disturbing # of dropped passes by the Bills WR group. This also helps perpetuate the inaccuracy issue.

6. In camp it appears that the QB gets a sack when he is "tagged" by a defender (protecting the QBs). One QB has frequently been reported as taking the most sacks. In reality we know that Allen has the best ability to avoid the physical contact and make plays when being contacted. He is charged with the same "touch" sack when we know his physical ability would allow the result to be significantly different than McCarron's "touch sack" outcome. Local reports of sacks makes no comment of "probably would have avoided" a particular "sack".

7. Allen also suffers from the "Allen derangement disorder" by many Bills fans and local media. Even Howard Simon who was "disappointed" by the pick at first claims to have come around to "support" the pick. But his next words talk about Allen's accuracy issues, footwork needs, and every other slam Allen has gotten from the pro "Rosen" supporters. Comical.

8. Allen has been a trooper throughout when I would seriously question his head coach's motives and treatment. He has not "demanded" to be a starter which others have slammed as an indictment of Allen's drive.

9. Allen cannot win until he wins the starting job, games, playoff games, and then Superbowl if that can ever happen. He will always have his "should have been Rosen" critics, and all types of critics with agendas largely because his head coach in very naive fashion allowed him to continually get criticized for everything he does. If I were Allen I would call out his coach for his "cute little plan" that allows constant criticism of him. He has kept quiet however and let his head coach look like a smirking clown IMO.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Dadonkadonk said:

I think if Allen plays well against Carolina he will be given a chance to start week 2 of the preseason. If he plays well again he is the opening day starter. He has been the best QB in training camp so far by the sounds of it.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Lfod said:

It's what some of us expected. It's what I expected. Obviously Bills fans exist that hold Allen accountable to save next season. 

Just because it's a #1 pick it seems there are these unwritten rules that this guy is an immediate savior. 

If a franchise moves up to snag a QB, when it desperately needs one, he had better be a savior, or at the very least, a QB capable of helping a team to championship contention.

It is perhaps too early to call him a disappointment, but let's face facts on highly-anticipated QBs; If they don't end up excelling in their careers, they will be deemed busts, whether anyone thinks that fair or not.

I believed he would bust before the Bills took him. Now, I just have to hope I was wrong.

4 hours ago, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

There are no longer news "reporters", only news repeaters.  The host likely never read the actual scouting report, she was handed a couple bullet points on the teleprompter and picked one to talk about for oh, 10 seconds.  Of course whoever put the talking points together didn't do any real research either and just repeated the "conventional wisdom" that the order of precedence would be based on which team guys are playing with.  No journalism required … throw some inaccurate information out there, next bullet point, does my hair look OK? 

Most of what some people call "fake news" isn't so much false reporting as lazy reporting.  Just look at the substandard editing in major big-name newspapers (even WSJ, NYT) and you will see that journalism in America is dead.  Pity.

The quality of editing might be down, but not the quality of reporting. It seems that way because the number of people deemed to be reporters has exponentially boomed, leading to a downgrade in perceived overall quality.

8 hours ago, Boca BIlls said:

McBeane said nothing will change until after first preseason game so how do you expect something to change when it cant.. 

That is what I said.  He is doing what the coaches expected and want.  I'm sure they don't want him to earn reps just wearing a helmet and shorts.  They will let him earn more reps in live action. 

5 hours ago, billspro said:

I think if Allen plays well against Carolina he will be given a chance to start week 2 of the preseason. If he plays well again he is the opening day starter. He has been the best QB in training camp so far by the sounds of it.

That would be awesome.  I'm not into fairness.  I could care less if Peterman gets any snaps with the first team the entire pre-season.  I posted elsewhere, I would still prefer AJ if they are about equal in practice and pre-season.  That gives the kid a few games to watch and lets AJ take on the hardest part of the schedule.  If AJ is playing great then he keeps playing.  If they are 1-3 after four games, it is Allen's time.

But if like you said, Allen is truly the best guy out there, I would have no issue starting him against the Ravens.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Dadonkadonk said:

All completely wrong, McBean has stated that the reps were predetermined prior to camp and wont change till after the 1st preseason game, 2nd Allen has been at worst as good as the other 2 and by most accounts has had the best camp of the 3 so far and I believe has a very legitimate shot at starting against Baltimore.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1