Bills/Oilers playoff game..The other one

Posted a video the other day about the 20 pts in 77 seconds vs Denver back in '90 and it seemed to get a good response so here is another old one I came across.  Everyone knows all about the comeback game but my first experience with the playoffs as a Bills fan is the lesser know Oilers game on new years day 1989 (yikes, the hangovers!).  Much less spectacular game as the Bills would hang on for a 17-10 win and head to Cincinnati for the AFC Championship the following week.  I was 12 years old at the time and this is where my Bills fandom was really starting to take off.  Anyway here's a 20 min video of that game.  A little grainy at times but worth a look if you're into old Bills games.  We all remember the stars of that era, but so many names of contributors I had forgotten:

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

I was there on a relatively mild New Year's Day.  I believe the Bills lost 3 of their last 4 that made them the second seed.  If they had home field vs. Cincy the next week, I think this team goes to the Super Bowl.

• Like (+1) 1

Biscuit was still #55 at that point correct? He had a diving strip from behind late in the game.

If this is the game Im thinking of. 

Thurman broke off a big run early.

i remember the annoucer saying "steve brown pushed him out of bounds" 

And then saying something about him playing behind Barry Sanders.

48 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

1st ever Playoff game at Rich/Ralph/NewEra. 

Tasker, Riddick and some rookie RB were fantastic!

The Ralph is celebrating 45 years.....and only Kelly and Reich have ever started a playoff game there.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 2

I was still living in the Adirondacks then and we didn't have cable tv yet so we got the 3 channels via antenna.  The reception that day was shaky and I had to watch this game going in and out of color with occasional lines on the screen.  I was so annoyed.  Especially because the Bengals/Seahwaks and Fog bowl playoff games came in great the day prior.  Once we sealed it and won the game I remember them putting the afc championship graphic on the screen with the Bills/Bengals helmets and thinking we were going to the Superbowl because we couldn't possibly lose to Cincinnati for a second time that season.....well.....Anyway I had forgotten this game was on new years day, at that age new years wasn't such a big deal I guess.....Another note.  The Oilers/Browns wild card game the week prior was played on Christmas eve in Cleveland.  A 24-23  loss for the Browns.  Talk about a rotten Christmas, getting bounced on home turf to end the season.

Edited by Bills fan since 87

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

That's crazy when you think about how that stadium opened up in 1973?(I could be off but I think that's when it opened up).  The Bills only true era of success in that stadium was the late 80s/early 90s...let's hope we can put something together real soon and have a few more good memories before it's time for the new stadium

I was at that game with some friends, sitting way down low in like the first or second row in the front corner of the end zone, opposite the tunnel end.

When the ball came down to our red zone, it was pretty dramatic being so close to the action and the crowd noise was incredible.

When the ball went over the 50 yard line toward the other end of the field, you had no depth perception and it was difficult to tell what the hell was happening.

4 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Tasker had a chip on his shoulder.  Would have played lights-out anyway, but he was trying to show Houston what they were missing.

• Like (+1) 2

Also there after doing a New Year's Eve party at a Buffalo hotel.  Fun weekend.

After the "Fandamonium" OT win over the Jets to clinch the division (at 11-1) in week 12 we lost 3 road games in the last 4 weeks.  It was the 10-5 loss to the Buccaneers (who were 3-10 and 7.5 point underdogs) in week 14 that cost the Bills the SB that year. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

Also there after doing a New Year's Eve party at a Buffalo hotel.  Fun weekend.

After the "Fandamonium" OT win over the Jets to clinch the division (at 11-1) in week 12 we lost 3 road games in the last 4 weeks.  It was the 10-5 loss to the Buccaneers (who were 3-10 and 7.5 point underdogs) in week 14 that cost the Bills the SB that year. 

I remember the 10-5 loss well.  I was at a retirement party in Fairport for a family member and the whole club house (country club) was groaning during the game.

16 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

I remember the 10-5 loss well.  I was at a retirement party in Fairport for a family member and the whole club house (country club) was groaning during the game.

Funny I remember the 10-5 loss more than the playoff win. I do agree that it cost us the Superbowl

Was at this game, my dad drove all night to meet the ticket guy that he found in the newspaper. Old school!

He said “we are going to this game”, and he made it happen.

Me and my siblings stayed up too making a “Go Bills” sign with markers on the back of a Twitster mat. Borrowed tape from an NFL Films guy to hang it in the endzone. 

This is what Buffalo football is to me, all about the moments with family and friends.

Thanks Dad!

• Like (+1) 3

On 7/29/2018 at 11:29 AM, Another Fan said:

This seemed to be the start of that run from 88 to 93.  Thanks for posting, it's a definitely a forgotten about game.

I think was the first home playoff game at that point for a long time. 

the prior home playoff game was for the 1966 AFL Championship. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, first_and_ten said:

Funny I remember the 10-5 loss more than the playoff win. I do agree that it cost us the Superbowl

Same here.  I remember it being such an incredibly frustrating game to watch.  Seemed like we couldn't get out of our own way.  TB was an abysmal team and you just felt like we were going to take over at any second, but it just never happened.

56 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

Same here.  I remember it being such an incredibly frustrating game to watch.  Seemed like we couldn't get out of our own way.  TB was an abysmal team and you just felt like we were going to take over at any second, but it just never happened.

And that was the game that gave us the stigma of being bad on grass.

37 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Those Oiler teams from 87-93 were EVERY bit as talented as the Bills were............

but what a bunch of mental midgets they were. Any signs of adversity and they folded like no ones business.

It's true.  Everybody remembers their collapse in the comeback game but the year prior they choked away a 24-6 lead against the Broncos in the playoffs as well.  Before there was a 2pt conversion.

4 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

3 hours ago, first_and_ten said:

2 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

I was in college in NC at the time and this was before the days of all games even being in sports bars.  I recall watching whatever game was on and waiting for the "updates" -- and being frustrated as hell that Buffalo couldn't beat lowly Tampa!

Yep, if they had won that game the AFC Championship would have been in Buffalo rather than Cinci.

On 7/29/2018 at 12:59 PM, BillsPride12 said:

That's crazy when you think about how that stadium opened up in 1973?(I could be off but I think that's when it opened up).  The Bills only true era of success in that stadium was the late 80s/early 90s...let's hope we can put something together real soon and have a few more good memories before it's time for the new stadium

There isn’t going to be a new stadium. The ROI for Buffalo is waaaaay too low. They can’t charge PSLs, lest they risk completely destroying the fabric of the connection between the community and the team. Unless you want only businessmen from out of town going to the games, the only way Bills fans can go is if it’s cheap enough for them. Could you imagine the people of Buffalo getting priced out of their homes and football games? 

Maybe its for the better, idk. Build a stadium and drive out the riff-raff

Finally got a chance to watch it.

What a trip seeing Chris Burkett, Rob Riddick and Ronnie Harmon. I think I saw J. Mueller.

Weird watching this team before the “ Bickering Bills” season. 

I was 18 that year. Makes me feel old?

• Like (+1) 1

Dad and I went to this one too. My first playoff game. I remember being very concerned about the Oilers, but felt like the grit of the Bills and our new toys at RB and LB might allow them to get the job done and it did. First of a long run of home playoff wins! 

10 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Finally got a chance to watch it.

What a trip seeing Chris Burkett, Rob Riddick and Ronnie Harmon. I think I saw J. Mueller.

Weird watching this team before the “ Bickering Bills” season. 

I was 18 that year. Makes me feel old?

Jamie Mueller was the MAN!

I still have my #39 Mueller jersey...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 7/29/2018 at 11:13 AM, Bills fan since 87 said:

Posted a video the other day about the 20 pts in 77 seconds vs Denver back in '90 and it seemed to get a good response so here is another old one I came across.  Everyone knows all about the comeback game but my first experience with the playoffs as a Bills fan is the lesser know Oilers game on new years day 1989 (yikes, the hangovers!).  Much less spectacular game as the Bills would hang on for a 17-10 win and head to Cincinnati for the AFC Championship the following week.  I was 12 years old at the time and this is where my Bills fandom was really starting to take off.  Anyway here's a 20 min video of that game.  A little grainy at times but worth a look if you're into old Bills games.  We all remember the stars of that era, but so many names of contributors I had forgotten:

I forgot how much I hated Haywood Jeffires