Khalil Mack holding out... in Buffalo

9 hours ago, Purplebulldog said:

We have no dough to sign him if traded

We have a ton next year and he's still under contract this year.

There is plenty to sign him to an extension that starts next year.

1 hour ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

These players are being ridiculous, they act like they should get QB money. Not happening boys so take your record breaking deals and get back to practice.

The highest paid players in the league all revolve around the passing game.

-throwing the ball (QB)

-catching the ball (WRs)

-hitting the QB (pass rushers)

-stopping the pass once it's thrown (CB/safeties)

These are the 4 major positions where an truly elite player makes a massive impact on games, and also where the drop-off from "top5 elite" to "next tier" is very noticeable, which is why the top guys get$$$$$$

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

Von Miller got 6 years, 114 million with 70 million guaranteed before the 2016 season.  Mack will probably get more than that due to inflation and putting up slightly better numbers in sacks and tackles the last three years (Mack -36.5 sacks and 228 tackles, Miller- 34.5 sacks and 170 tackles).  You're pry looking around paying Mack 20 to 25 million dollars a year for 5 or 6 years if you want to invest that much money in a non QB.  Now would be a good time to do it with Josh Allen on his rookie contract, but it's a pipe dream at this point.

^^^^^^

56 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

We have a ton next year and he's still under contract this year.

There is plenty to sign him to an extension that starts next year.

The highest paid players in the league all revolve around the passing game.

-throwing the ball (QB)

-catching the ball (WRs)

-hitting the QB (pass rushers)

-stopping the pass once it's thrown (CB/safeties)

These are the 4 major positions where an truly elite player makes a massive impact on games, and also where the drop-off from "top5 elite" to "next tier" is very noticeable, which is why the top guys get$$$$$$

^^^^^^

You missed protecting the blindside. Nate Solder who I think is good not great (I'd certainly take a healthy Cordy Glenn over him for example) just signed a contract avg. $15.5m a year. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, bbb said:

Didn't he have a few issues with UB over the last few years?

Only one issue. He wanted UB to give his younger brother a football scholarship. They balked but then gave in. LeDarius Mack will wear Khalil's #52 this year.

Shameless plug time: UB plays E.Michigan 6pm the night before the Bills home opener. Perfect opportunity to check out a UB team loaded with NFL prospects including another Khalil on defense, Khalil Hodge.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Can we just pump the breaks just a little..... Khalil Mack is a very fine football player. He was a stud at UB and he has been very good in the NFL.  I do think though, and it may be the UB thing, that he is just a tad overrated by Bills fans. We have had people in this thread saying he is going to cost way more than Aaron Donald and that there is nobody as talented as Mack in next year's draft - when in fact it might be one of the most talented DLine drafts ever if everyone pans out this year. 

Khalil Mack is probably the best 3-4 outside linebacker in the NFL at the moment, but as yet I don't think he is a transcendent talent - which you might think reading this thread. I can't remember a more popular non Bill in the NFL the whole time I have been on these boards. 

I'd be very happy to see the Bills bring him to Buffalo - it would certainly free them up to go offense in the draft. I don't think it will happen and it would cost a chunk of the money we have to go FA shopping next year  

He was so overrated by Bills fans that few if any bothered to watch him play at UB. :lol:

11 hours ago, Cornette's Commentary said:

And, from what other posters have said, he's still legitimately angry at the Front Office for taking Watkins instead of him 4 years ago.  VERY doubtful he ever comes here.

Keep in mind, the FO four years ago and the FO now have literally nothing to do with one another.

I have no doubt Mack would love to come to the Bills if they gave him a competitive offer.

And as much as I liked Whaley, that 2014 1st Round was completely botched. I get hindsight is 20/20, but IF you had to trade up, it should have been Mack.

Would love to see Mack in Buffalo.

53 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

What is Oakland's cap situation next year? Can they just franchise tag him?

Yes, they can. However I would not be surprised if Gruden does not do that,  similar to how the Bills moved on from Sammy under a new regime rather than pay him, especially if Mack’s agent throws a fit about the franchise tag and threatens not to play on it, like Von Miller did. Does not make sense on the surface but Gruden  is a weird guy and he’s making all the decisions now, not the GM. Not only is he very “old school” but he is on record saying he thought the Raiders made a mistake drafting Mack that year (when he was in the media) 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

These players are being ridiculous, they act like they should get QB money. Not happening boys so take your record breaking deals and get back to practice.

Dem boys should just be happy they pay a game and get paid for it.  Just take your money, shut up, play football for my entertainment, and I will get drunk and yell at you!  #MarioforSkeltonneverforget

13 hours ago, Commonsense said:

How did a kid from Fort Pierce end up going to UB? Florida to Buffalo? Insanity.

Because Florida sucks except winter time.  Bunch of weirdos down there. 

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Indeed pass rushers don't win you things on their own. But Mario was worth his money here and I am sure Mack would be too, because he is a top end pass rusher.

I don’t know why you even bother.  Clearly, it was Mario and the #4 ranked defense’s fault we didn’t win in 2014.  What a loser!!!

and folks, it doesn’t matter if Mack wants to get out of Oakland and come to the Bills.  He doesn’t fit the system!  God, the nfl is so stupid.

Edited by C.Biscuit97
  • Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Cornette's Commentary said:

Did you learn nothing from the Mario contract?

Or, Bruce Smith for that matter when the Bills paid him as a top d-end.

We won no Super Bowls with him.

Derp.

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

it doesn’t matter if Mack wants to get out of Oakland and come to the Bills.  He doesn’t fit the system!  God, the nfl is so stupid.

Maybe im missing sarcasm but how doesn't he fit? He can play 43 end and lb and any lb position in a 34. He would be a huge upgrade over zo at lb but the money he'd be paid he'd play DE here. He was all pro at lb and de in same year he fits every system

Edited by Not at the table Karlos
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I don't like the hire by the raiders, but the guy is 100-85. Won a Superbowl, should have went to two. I'm not sure what standing next to him means, but whatever.

Throw out a couple seasons he benefitted from trotting Dungy’s team out there, and playing a team he knew intimately in a SB, and he’s about a .500 coach with no rings....and he’s still a complete jerk. Yeah, it’s kind of personal. 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Maybe im missing sarcasm but how doesn't he fit? He can play 43 end and lb and any lb position in a 34. He would be a huge upgrade over zo at lb but the money he'd be paid he'd play DE here. He was all pro at lb and de in same year he fits every system

It’s definitely sarcasm. He fits any system. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I don't like the hire by the raiders, but the guy is 100-85. Won a Superbowl, should have went to two. I'm not sure what standing next to him means, but whatever.

Grudens W/L percentage in the NFL is .540. Most will call that a tad above average. Too reach that lofty milestone he was gifted

the keys to a Maybach by Tampa Bay. All he had to do that season was trot that team out there. Also claimed he knew the plays the Raiders were running in the Super Bowl. IMO opinion Jon Gruden has a lot too peove. Lucky for him the Raiders could be close too

contending in the division. Of course most of his current team was built by someone else Like his Tampa situation.

7 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

His issue recently was Ub not offering his brother a scholarship, but I believe they resolved this issue

I remember that.  I get both sides of that.  Props to UB a bit because most schools would have just caved.

14 hours ago, Cornette's Commentary said:

A lot, to say the least.  With the way this team is right now, do you want to give up a 2019 1st that could be a Top 5 pick?

That is quite the question indeed, and that is IF he could be had for only a first, which I doubt.

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

You missed protecting the blindside. Nate Solder who I think is good not great (I'd certainly take a healthy Cordy Glenn over him for example) just signed a contract avg. $15.5m a year. 

Good call man.

I actually was thinking about including oline but I couldn't remember how much they make so I didn't include them :)

12 hours ago, njbuff said:

Ok, I'll play along.........

Jerry Hughes and a first rounder for Mack. There, problem solved.

We can throw in Peterman to sweeten the pot

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Well now that you mention it, Gruden not only loves collecting bad backup QBs but ...

If he won the SB with Rob Johnson on the roster, imagine how far he can go with Peterman