Khalil Mack holding out... in Buffalo

4 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Only one issue. He wanted UB to give his younger brother a football scholarship. They balked but then gave in. LeDarius Mack will wear Khalil's #52 this year.

I may be off but I kind of remember Tim Graham going out to Oakland to do a story on him and he wouldn't even talk to him...............And, then he wouldn't even acknowledge the city of Buffalo for awhile.............It seemed deeper than just his brother.

1 hour ago, SouthNYfan said:

Good call man.

I actually was thinking about including oline but I couldn't remember how much they make so I didn't include them :)

No worries. It does no detriment to your point. It is all about your quarterback. If you have a guy who keeps him upright then that guy gets paid too. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Commonsense said:

How did a kid from Fort Pierce end up going to UB? Florida to Buffalo? Insanity.

He didn't start playing football until his sophomore or junior year of high school so he wasn't on any major college recruiter's radar. UB and maybe one or two other schools were the only ones to offer him coming out of high school. I believe he chose UB because they were Division I.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
33 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

If Mack is definitely content to sit out, the raiders would be stupid not to get something for him.

The thing is it might be one of the few situations where a player like Mack, at the beginning of his prime could be traded.  A team with a new big time coach who is the face of the franchise more than anyone else and wants to do things his way.  I could see Gruden being the type of guy that would rather deal Mack for a haul and use those picks to bolster his offense and relieve himself of an ongoing conflict with the team's best player.  Also the Raiders are moving to Vegas next year and the usual vitriol you would get from the fans by trading away a player like Mack would likely not be as big a factor.  Oakland fans are losing their team so why would they care and Vegas is gaining and NFL team so it is all gravy for them anyways.  

If there is even a slight chance Mack is on the block the Bills would have to be all over this.  The post about the Bills possibly having an elite defense I don't think is that far off.  Although I think we would really need a player like Mack to take us to that level, comparable to the 15-16 Broncos.  If Edmunds pans out, with and elite secondary, adding Mack into the mix could definitely take this defense to an elite level that could possibly be the class of the NFL.  I really hoope Beane is reaching out to Gruden.  I would start with the Bills 1st in 2019, dangle that in front of Gruden and see how he responds.  I would be willing to give up the 2019 and 2020 firsts, plus another significant piece or two.

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12

25 minutes ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

The thing is it might be one of the few situations where a player like Mack, at the beginning of his prime could be traded.  A team with a new big time coach who is the face of the franchise more than anyone else and wants to do things his way.  I could see Gruden being the type of guy that would rather deal Mack for a haul and use those picks to bolster his offense and relieve himself of an ongoing conflict with the team's best player.  Also the Raiders are moving to Vegas next year and the usual vitriol you would get from the fans by trading away a player like Mack would likely not be as big a factor.  Oakland fans are losing their team so why would they care and Vegas is gaining and NFL team so it is all gravy for them anyways.  

If there is even a slight chance Mack is on the block the Bills would have to be all over this.  The post about the Bills possibly having an elite defense I don't think is that far off.  Although I think we would really need a player like Mack to take us to that level, comparable to the 15-16 Broncos.  If Edmunds pans out, with and elite secondary, adding Mack into the mix could definitely take this defense to an elite level that could possibly be the class of the NFL.  I really hoope Beane is reaching out to Gruden.  I would start with the Bills 1st in 2019, dangle that in front of Gruden and see how he responds.  I would be willing to give up the 2019 and 2020 firsts, plus another significant piece or two.

I do thank God that you don't make personnel decisions for this team.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, QuoteTheRaven83 said:

Bigger than Mario Williams? Interesting...

Yes bigger than Mario...hes already a better player than Mario ever was at his peak.  

NOTE:  There is 0% possibility he is a Bill, Raiders aren't going to let him get away...but just commenting he would be a bigger grab than Mario.  Mario felt bigger because guys like Mario didnt normally say yes to Buffalo during that era.  But Mack is the better player already, and still getting better.  Mario underachieved, then got very good then quickly declined.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yes bigger than Mario...hes already a better player than Mario ever was at his peak.  

NOTE:  There is 0% possibility he is a Bill, Raiders aren't going to let him get away...but just commenting he would be a bigger grab than Mario.  Mario felt bigger because guys like Mario didnt normally say yes to Buffalo during that era.  But Mack is the better player already, and still getting better.  Mario underachieved, then got very good then quickly declined.  

Explain how there is 0% chance they'd let him get away?

He's an UFA after this season.

He can do whatever he wants after this year.

If they feel he's definitely going to walk then they are definitely going to accept offers.

Is it likely he will get traded? No.

Is it likely he doesn't come back after this year? Yes.

Just now, SouthNYfan said:

If they feel he's definitely going to walk then they are definitely going to accept offers.

Franchise Tag says "hello"  

31 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

1.  I was referencing this year in reference to some comments about trying to get him now since he's not reporting.

2.  Even next year, there is a franchise tag.  So even though I wasn't referencing next year, I will say the odds are still very close to 0%, if not 0%, that Mack doesn't stay a Raider next year.  He is by far their best player on the entire roster and arguably going to be one the of the 5 best defensive players in the NFL for a long time assuming health.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Given that he will be an UFA after this season, there is a great chance they ship him out before losing him for nothing after the season if he's really that disgruntled with the organization. To not have spoken to the new HC after seven months is the definition of disgruntled. I would think our 2019 #1 might be an attractive offer given how everyone and their mother has us picking at or near the top of the draft next year. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Franchise Tag says "hello"  

That works so well for players who want to leave.

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Given that he will be an UFA after this season, there is a great chance they ship him out before losing him for nothing after the season if he's really that disgruntled with the organization. To not have spoken to the new HC after seven months is the definition of disgruntled. I would think our 2019 #1 might be an attractive offer given how everyone and their mother has us picking at or near the top of the draft next year. 

I agree with you.

Mack is the man I wanted the Bills to draft when we traded up for Sammy.  He is my #1 target for us.  The Bills would have best defense in NFL with Mack and if we could stay healthy.  Beane- do whatever it takes to get Mack in a Bills uniform! I would trade our #1 for him and pay the man

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
4 hours ago, Cornette's Commentary said:

I do thank God that you don't make personnel decisions for this team.

How nice for you, but you are a clueless bozo and I really don't care what you think.  We aren't going QB in the first in the next two years and for a chance to add the arguably the best defensive player in the league for 2 firsts and maybe a 3rd, somewhere around there would be worth it.   The chances of those picks having a greater positive impact on this team over the next 5 years than Kalil Mack is almost zero.  That is what I was think.  Kalil Mack is an All-Pro at both a 4-3 DE, where he would play in our scheme or a 3-4 outside backer.  He could very easily be the piece that could make this a 15-16 Broncos type defense that could win the Super Bowl.  It would mesh perfectly with Brady retiring.

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12

2 hours ago, whatdrought said:

On a bit of a side note, does anyone else think that the franchise tag is about ready to be done away with?

It is definitely odd to pay a bunch of money in order to force someone to work for you. If it were me, I'd probably develop a severe case of plantar fasciitis and migraines.

2 minutes ago, TuelTime said:

It is definitely odd to pay a bunch of money in order to force someone to work for you. If it were me, I'd probably develop a severe case of plantar fasciitis and migraines.

Hey I have plantar fasciitis... crap but not the head aches... sure could use the cash though :)

4 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Better player doesn't always mean bigger signing. I guess you forgot the frenzy that led to that Mario signing....

15 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

But Mack is the better player already, and still getting better.  Mario underachieved, then got very good then quickly declined.  

See this is where I think it just borders a tad on overrating. Mack has had a better start to his NFL career than Mario did for sure. But to say he is already, now, better than absolute peak Mario? I am not quite ready to go there. That said, he is ahead of where Mario was 4 years into his career and he should still be in the improving phase. And he is definitely a top 10 defensive player in the league possibly bordering on top 5. I would love to have him (agree with you there is very little chance it happens) but I do think he gets a bit of extra love off Bills fans because of the UB link and because he clearly has an affinity for Buffalo. He isn't Aaron Donald and he isn't JJ Watt. 

This is a guy I'd feel comfortable spending a first rounder on.

Mack + Edmunds and our defense is set for 10+ years.

IF Allen pans out...a dynasty in Buffalo begins.

Edited by McBean
  • Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

This needs to stop.  Mack is not coming here.  Moreover, Beane is NOT going to give up multiple 2019 and 2020 picks to the Raiders for him.

1 minute ago, McBean said:

This is a guy I'd feel comfortable spending a first rounder on.

Multiple first rounders.  You want to give that up to watch Khalil Mack and a bunch of rubes on Sundays?

52 minutes ago, Cornette's Commentary said:

This needs to stop.  Mack is not coming here.  Moreover, Beane is NOT going to give up multiple 2019 and 2020 picks to the Raiders for him.

Multiple first rounders.  You want to give that up to watch Khalil Mack and a bunch of rubes on Sundays?

You seem fun.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 7/27/2018 at 12:40 PM, whatdrought said:

If Mack is definitely content to sit out, the raiders would be stupid not to get something for him.

...would be an extremely tall tariff.....he actually hails from Ft Pierce FL and went to school at U of B.....

On 7/28/2018 at 2:56 AM, GunnerBill said:

See this is where I think it just borders a tad on overrating. Mack has had a better start to his NFL career than Mario did for sure. But to say he is already, now, better than absolute peak Mario? I am not quite ready to go there. That said, he is ahead of where Mario was 4 years into his career and he should still be in the improving phase. And he is definitely a top 10 defensive player in the league possibly bordering on top 5. I would love to have him (agree with you there is very little chance it happens) but I do think he gets a bit of extra love off Bills fans because of the UB link and because he clearly has an affinity for Buffalo. He isn't Aaron Donald and he isn't JJ Watt. 

I don’t think it’s over rating Mack, I think it’s Mario who is over rated.  Don’t get me wrong, Mario was a very good player, but IMO I think Mack is not only better right now but still can get better.  At Mario’s best (which let’s keep in mind wasn’t that long of a period in his career after starting slow and falling off dramatically and fast) he wasn’t a top 5 defensive player in the NFL and I don’t know if anyone can say top 10.  And Mario only played at that level a few years and then started tailing off and then fell off a cliff when he still should have been effective.  

1 hour ago, Cornette's Commentary said:

You may want to avoid this thread if it’s causing you anxiety 

• Haha (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I don’t think it’s over rating Mack, I think it’s Mario who is over rated.  Don’t get me wrong, Mario was a very good player, but IMO I think Mack is not only better right now but still can get better.  At Mario’s best (which let’s keep in mind wasn’t that long of a period in his career after starting slow and falling off dramatically and fast) he wasn’t a top 5 defensive player in the NFL and I don’t know if anyone can say top 10.  And Mario only played at that level a few years and then started tailing off and then fell off a cliff when he still should have been effective.  

I think Mario WAS a top 10  defensive player at his peak. He was a top 3 edge rusher for me and the numbers support it. I accept totally his peak was short and that Mack has the ability to play at a high level for much longer and is still improving. I am not anti-Khalil Mack at all I have loved the kid since college, but to say he is already better than peak Mario Williams.... I just don't see that when I watch him on tape. I think he is a top 10 defensive player but needs to be more consistent. I do think his outward affection for Buffalo buys him some extra love around here. I understand that, it's natural, but it leads to a bit of overexcitement IMO. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think Mario WAS a top 10  defensive player at his peak. He was a top 3 edge rusher for me and the numbers support it. I accept totally his peak was short and that Mack has the ability to play at a high level for much longer and is still improving. I am not anti-Khalil Mack at all I have loved the kid since college, but to say he is already better than peak Mario Williams.... I just don't see that when I watch him on tape. I think he is a top 10 defensive player but needs to be more consistent. I do think his outward affection for Buffalo buys him some extra love around here. I understand that, it's natural, but it leads to a bit of overexcitement IMO. 

He was voted all pro two positions in the same year. Mario couldn’t/wouldn’t ever sniff that.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Bill_with_it said:

He was voted all pro two positions in the same year. Mario couldn’t/wouldn’t ever sniff that.

He was. That is true. Mario didn't play two positions. But he was, at his peak, one of the best in the business at the one he played. Again, I love Mack. I think he is fantastic, and he is going to get paid - right so. I just think Bills fans often talk about the guy as he is already transcendent. The reality is he isn't even the best defensive player from his own draft class. Now that 2014 class was one hell of a class, no doubt. But Mack so far is just one of the best at this position in the NFL in his era. If he is that for the majority of his 10 or 12 year career then we are a talking hall of fame worthy. At the moment though let's just be a little more realistic. I knew this would be a controversial opinion here. He is the most beloved non-Bill I have come across. 

25 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He was. That is true. Mario didn't play two positions. But he was, at his peak, one of the best in the business at the one he played. Again, I love Mack. I think he is fantastic, and he is going to get paid - right so. I just think Bills fans often talk about the guy as he is already transcendent. The reality is he isn't even the best defensive player from his own draft class. Now that 2014 class was one hell of a class, no doubt. But Mack so far is just one of the best at this position in the NFL in his era. If he is that for the majority of his 10 or 12 year career then we are a talking hall of fame worthy. At the moment though let's just be a little more realistic. I knew this would be a controversial opinion here. He is the most beloved non-Bill I have come across. 

To each there own. It’s clear we will never be able to have a discussion with out disagreement about Mack. Your statement saying he isn’t the best defensive player from that draft tells me that. Donald is close to being mentioned in the same breath. Clowney still has to show he can show up for more than a year or so. Barr is good but can’t be mentioned in the same breath as Mack. I’m a FSU fan by the way. I wasn’t a huge Mack fan while he was in college, but that has quickly changed. There’s one team I despise as much as the patriots it’s the raiders; I fine myself tuning in to watch Mack and think if only we had a GM with half a brain during 2014....

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/26/2018 at 8:06 PM, Cornette's Commentary said:

Why in God's name would he come here?  Even if he did, you want to pay him more than what we paid for Mario?

yes, I would pay him more than Mario.  He's LT good.  

On 7/27/2018 at 2:00 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

what if he changes his name?   He could play in disguise for the Bills.  Perhaps be incognito??  

• Like (+1) 1