NYC politician wants Bills+Giants to adopt Jets Anthem policy

https://247sports.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/Article/NYC-politician-wants-New-York-Giants-Buffalo-Bills-to-adopt-Jets-anthem-policy-118678936/Amp

First. The Bills are the Only team in New York.

Second, who the heck does this guy think he is that he can weasel his thoughts and ideas upon the Giants and Bills

Let their owners do what they want, don’t try to play some moral high ground

you listen to the owners and their rules at work. Freedom of speech, Press, assembly Doesn’t apply lol

• Like (+1) 8
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I don’t even know where PPP is on the board. I’d move it if I knew how but it is Bills related 

No worries, B'lo, got yer back.  It's both Bills and football related, as long as that's the focus it's fine here.

If folks go nuts making it generally political, I'll move it for ya or lock it.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

No worries, B'lo, got yer back.  It's both Bills and football related, as long as that's the focus it's fine here.

If folks go nuts making it generally political, I'll move it for ya or lock it.

I don’t wanna get political. Just saw the article and how he emailed the Pegulas

thought it was relevant 

4 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Let the owners do what they want...but not the players?

Pretty sure the players are free to protest all they want so long as they're not at work while they do it.  So it works like it would with any other employer.

Of course, the players are always free to seek other employment if the social policies of their employer are that important to them.

• Like (+1) 14
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

I on’t wanna get political. Just saw the article and how he emailed the Pegulas

thought it was relevant 

It is IMO. 

The owners were all like, unanimous vote, uniform anthem policy, *whew* that's settled.

Then the Jets: "oh well, if our players go their own way and kneel or what have you, the fines are on us".  So much for unanimous.

Now with politicians mixing in, it's clear the NFL owners would have been better off going with "least said, soonest mended"

Nothing is settled at all.

• Thank you (+1) 1

The issue isn't just about what the players can say at work, it is what the employer can compel them to say when at work.

I think there are limits to an employer's ability to compel speech by their employees when it is unrelated to work. Thus, Burger King can mandate that their employees say "have a nice day" after taking a customer's order. They cannot constitutionally compel them to say "God Bless America" or "God Save the Trump" whenever greeting a customer anymore than they can compel them to give a Nazi salute every time someone orders a whopper with no pickles or says the word "Obama". Mandating certain conduct during the national anthem, it could be argued, is compelling speech. And what it has to do with the job of winning football games I do not know.

I believe that this whole compromise of letting players stay in the locker room is likely a strategy to avoid the constitutional problem of compelling speech. At the same time, I don't think the NFL has solved its problem. People will just get all bent out of shape about players hiding in the locker room. Eventually,  the President will tweet that the owners should "fire every SOB who disrespects our country and our soldiers by staying in the locker room." What then?

• Like (+1) 9

Great!!! The Bills should support their players (i.e.support your employees!!!)! I would love it if the Bills followed what the Jets were doing. America=FREEDOM, not nationalism.

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Great!!! The Bills should support their players (i.e.support your employees!!!)! I would love it if the Bills followed what the Jets were doing. America=FREEDOM, not nationalism.

And the owners are FREE to do what they want with regard to this issue

• Like (+1) 3

If the players don't like the owners rules, go find another job. Maybe they could go work for Kap-er-nick who is more than likely still laughing over the whole thing.  Guess the players don't know about killing the golden goose. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

Their feet hurt?

No that's not it ?

I would prefer if their issue was what was debated and not the politicized kneel no kneel thing. Players as citizens should have the right to protest. This country and it's Freedoms that have been fought for and won allow us people the right to peaceful protest.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, ProcessAccepted said:

No that's not it ?

I would prefer if their issue was what was debated and not the politicized kneel no kneel thing. Players as citizens should have the right to protest. This country and it's Freedoms that have been fought for and won allow us people the right to peaceful protest.

Yes, the right to protest when NOT on the company dollar

1 minute ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Our owners will do the right thing and SUPPORT THEIR PLAYERS... like the Jets did.

I don’t care what he does but I believe Pegula voted for the new league rule

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It is IMO. 

The owners were all like, unanimous vote, uniform anthem policy, *whew* that's settled.

Then the Jets: "oh well, if our players go their own way and kneel or what have you, the fines are on us".  So much for unanimous.

Now with politicians mixing in, it's clear the NFL owners would have been better off going with "least said, soonest mended"

Nothing is settled at all.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/nfl-admits-no-official-vote-national-anthem-policy-article-1.4009450

Not really a unanimous vote.

Yes, the right to protest when NOT on the company dollar

I don’t care what he does but I believe Pegula voted for the new league rule

When are they not on the company dollar? Some have multi year contracts which pay them throughout the playing season, workout season, signing bonuses which are spread out over the life of the contract. They are almost always on the company dollar.

3 minutes ago, klos63 said:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/nfl-admits-no-official-vote-national-anthem-policy-article-1.4009450

Not really a unanimous vote.

When are they not on the company dollar? Some have multi year contracts which pay them throughout the playing season, workout season, signing bonuses which are spread out over the life of the contract. They are almost always on the company dollar.

They have a right to protest Monday-Saturday.

And after their games on Sunday ..

It they play at 1. They must follow their owners wishes from when they show up to the stadium til after the game is done.

I rephrased it and I think it’s simple. The owners don’t care if they protest on tuesdays. They don’t want it on gameday

• Like (+1) 3

They have a right to protest Monday-Saturday.

And after their games on Sunday ..

It they play at 1. They must follow their owners wishes from when they show up to the stadium til after the game is done.

I rephrased it and I think it’s simple. The owners don’t care if they protest on tuesdays. They don’t want it on gameday

I agree with this statement. I guess I'm tired of the 'on their own time' crap. They are always representing the team, that's why off the field legal issues are built into contracts to allow teams to cut them and get some signing bonus back. It's a technicality, but yes, the owners just don't want it on game day.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Mickey said:

The issue isn't just about what the players can say at work, it is what the employer can compel them to say when at work.

I think there are limits to an employer's ability to compel speech by their employees when it is unrelated to work. Thus, Burger King can mandate that their employees say "have a nice day" after taking a customer's order. They cannot constitutionally compel them to say "God Bless America" or "God Save the Trump" whenever greeting a customer anymore than they can compel them to give a Nazi salute every time someone orders a whopper with no pickles or says the word "Obama". Mandating certain conduct during the national anthem, it could be argued, is compelling speech. And what it has to do with the job of winning football games I do not know.

I believe that this whole compromise of letting players stay in the locker room is likely a strategy to avoid the constitutional problem of compelling speech. At the same time, I don't think the NFL has solved its problem. People will just get all bent out of shape about players hiding in the locker room. Eventually,  the President will tweet that the owners should "fire every SOB who disrespects our country and our soldiers by staying in the locker room." What then?

Yep.  Plus the opposite faction of people who will get bent out of shape about preventing the players from kneeling in protest.  Nothing solved.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, White Linen said:

Let the players do something that's upsetting a significant amount of customers?

AND, something for which they are being paid as a % of revenue.

How long could your bank teller get away with sharing those views. A couple minutes at most. 

Look, only a complete idiot is AGAINST their cause of equality and justice. Just do it at the right time, not on the job. Your name alone will gain you access to public attention, just don’t do it on stage. The owners doled out about $90 mil to advance the real cause. That’s pretty generous and might actually do some good. 

I’m leaving here now with one final thought: YES, the Bills ARE the only team in the state of New York!!!

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

https://247sports.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/Article/NYC-politician-wants-New-York-Giants-Buffalo-Bills-to-adopt-Jets-anthem-policy-118678936/Amp

Second, who the heck does this guy think he is that he can weasel his thoughts and ideas upon the Giants and Bills

you listen to the owners and their rules at work. Freedom of speech, Press, assembly Doesn’t apply lol

He wrote a letter.  You are free to write a letter too.  Settle down.

None of this would be an issue if the league wasn't receiving money from the armed forces. 

I don't know how the protests have affected or will affect the bottom line, but perhaps cutting ties with the armed forces (not to sound so negative; meaning "stop collecting their money") would be less of a blow to the bottom line than turning ignorant fans away over the protest controversy would. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

...wouldn't surprise me if proposed legislation is to follow.......cue up Kate Smith...............

After being a diehard Bills fan for many years--when the Bills players took a knee last year I immediately called Direct TV and cancelled my Sunday  Ticket and didn't attend or watch another Bills game last year. I have no interest in players (most of whom have done "nothing" in their life to earn the right to disrespect the flag and anthem provided by the blood shed for that freedom) use the stage to protest anything. I am one of those who hurt the NFL business in my disgust by stopping my payments for fan gear, tickets, etc. I am hoping the protests end so I can return to paying my hundreds of dollars this year to the Buffalo Bill coffers. If they adopt the Jets owner's lead they will save me a lot of money again this year. Whats next? So when 1500 players want to protest 1500 different social causes  you want the NFL ownership to support ALL of  those Player's causes too, and shove that down a $200.00 ticket payer 10 times? Provide them another venue if you wish but not one I am paying hundreds to watch.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Hopefully the league fines him for not following the rules.

Let's say you pay $100 00 to see a Broadway play and during the play a actor stops acting and tells the audience that he is vegan and eating animals is evil. Is that freedom of speech? What would you do if you were the producer?

31 minutes ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

None of this would be an issue if the league wasn't receiving money from the armed forces. 

I don't know how the protests have affected or will affect the bottom line, but perhaps cutting ties with the armed forces (not to sound so negative; meaning "stop collecting their money") would be less of a blow to the bottom line than turning ignorant fans away over the protest controversy would. 

They could just do away with singing the national anthem.

Wars will soon be fought entirely by drones. So, we'll be paying our respects to robots killing humans? Robots dying in the line of duty?

Not me.

Robot lives don't matter.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BmarvB said:

They're protesting racial injustice and police brutality

Great do it on your own damn time and not when I shelled out $100 to watch your ungrateful pompous a$$ play a kids game. The CFL has plenty of roster spots.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, tumaro02 said:

After being a diehard Bills fan for many years--when the Bills players took a knee last year I immediately called Direct TV and cancelled my Sunday  Ticket and didn't attend or watch another Bills game last year. I have no interest in players (most of whom have done "nothing" in their life to earn the right to disrespect the flag and anthem provided by the blood shed for that freedom) use the stage to protest anything. I am one of those who hurt the NFL business in my disgust by stopping my payments for fan gear, tickets, etc. I am hoping the protests end so I can return to paying my hundreds of dollars this year to the Buffalo Bill coffers. If they adopt the Jets owner's lead they will save me a lot of money again this year. Whats next? So when 1500 players want to protest 1500 different social causes  you want the NFL ownership to support ALL of  those Player's causes too, and shove that down a $200.00 ticket payer 10 times? Provide them another venue if you wish but not one I am paying hundreds to watch.

That’s true dedication. In addition to canceling Sunday ticket and not buying tickets, etc., did you also not buy a single product advertised during NFL telecasts? 

4 minutes ago, K-9 said:

That’s true dedication. In addition to canceling Sunday ticket and not buying tickets, etc., did you also not buy a single product advertised during NFL telecasts? 

Nothing, nada, zilch, zero........I did watch the NFL Draft though.... it wasn't dedication.... it was disgust that ownership who could have solved this problem a year earlier but chose to allow this to fester and explode and let it happen... Were you at the 49ers game at Buffalo when Kaepernic came on the field and did you see what 60,000 fans did to express their opinion then?

Edited by tumaro02
  • Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Tatonka68 said:

Let's say you pay $100 00 to see a Broadway play and during the play a actor stops acting and tells the audience that he is vegan and eating animals is evil. Is that freedom of speech? What would you do if you were the producer?

The players protest before the game.  If you paid for a ticket to the game you saw the game played with no interruptions save TV timeouts or injuries.

When Mike Pence went to see Hamilton the actor who spoke to him from the stage did so after the show had finished not during the actual show.  

People received what they paid for  in both instances.  Somehow, some people continue to make the situation what they want it to be instead of what it is.

Edited by purple haze
  • Like (+1) 3