NYC politician wants Bills+Giants to adopt Jets Anthem policy

The players make more than enough money to spread awareness for whaterever they want on their own time. My Dad did 2 tours in Vietnam and I can tell you without a doubt that if I sat or kneeled during the anthem that I would get blasted in the side of my head with a backhand.

5 hours ago, ProcessAccepted said:

Can someone please remind me why players are kneeling? 

And, while they are at it, remind me of what they are doing about it besides kneeling.

Oh yeah, Kaepernick wore socks with pigs on them.

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Let’s see how long that takes....

I’ll add the necessary gasoline. Colin Kaepernick is being blackballed...

Your not lying tho. I think Jerry Jones just testified against the potus which will lead to Kap winning his court case.

21 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

And, while they are at it, remind me of what they are doing about it besides kneeling.

Oh yeah, Kaepernick wore socks with pigs on them.

6 months or later, So far, I think the answer is pretty close to nothing.

Somebody got 90 million bucks out of it. But so far as I know most of the players have done zero. In terms of actually doing stuff. Maybe I am wrong but it seems like it would get more publicity if they did on account of them being famous athletes and stuff.

I think that the Jets are doing great by taking a leadership position on this.  hopefully the politicians efforts help the Pegulas open their eyes.

America has become far too militarized.  A country that forces people to stand during the national anthem is not a free country.  Hell, before 911 players were not even on the field during the national anthem ... this only happened when the neoconservatives hijacked 911 for their own nefarious aims.

Too many Americans today care too much about the supposed symbols of freedom and not enough about the actual values that help define freedom.

Try living overseas in countries where saying the wrong things can get you killed, imprisoned, life ruined through libel lawsuits, or simply deported if you are an immigrant ... and maybe you will better understand the slippery slope of authoritarianism we are already sliding on.

• Like (+1) 3

6 hours ago, klos63 said:

When are they not on the company dollar? Some have multi year contracts which pay them throughout the playing season, workout season, signing bonuses which are spread out over the life of the contract. They are almost always on the company dollar.

They are most definitely "at work" and subject to owner/employer rules when in uniform and actively at their place of employment, aka in the stadium.  The workplace is not the place to be making political statements. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Why don’t they just do away with the National Anthem in sports? We used to do an invocation before the Hornets games (think OKC still does). It was kind of weird too. There was some concern that if we did away with it the religious people would be mad. I think that we took one phone call after that was upset about it. I’d imagine that if teams and leagues did away with the anthem it would have the same impact. 

Additionally, I have a suggestion to replace it. The Celtics used to do this thing that they called “a hero among us.” They would recognize a member of the community that was doing something extraordinary. There was a small video package and then they’d welcome that person. They’d always get a standing O. It may be someone that dedicated their life to working with special needs kids or someone that ran 500 miles to raise money for ALS  or a solidier that saved 11 guys in battle or whatever. The point being what’s the purpose of playing the anthem? Tradition? At least with my suggestion you’d be able to recognize people doing great things and hopefully inspire others to act in a similar manner. There are people on both sides of the anthem issue. If you pull the anthem out you don’t alienate a segment of the fan base. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, purple haze said:

Men and women died for the rights of citizens as expressed by our constitution.  There are ways to honor them that don't include the anthem or the flag or the faux nationalism.  The greatest honor to them, it would seem, is actually using the rights and living up to the ideals they represented on behalf of the United States, otherwise what did they die for?    Not a symbolic piece of fabric; not a song.  It's about the actual rights and the actual ideals the country represents or that is what we are told.

No professional theatre production is stopping in the middle of a show to make a point either.  The Hamilton occurrence came after the show itself was over.  

To the part in bold font, you should add "to me".  i don't question your heart, your politics or your sincerity, but I do disagree.  And if two reasonable people can disagree, many, many more can.  Some will see this as a big enough issue to withhold dollars spent for NFL products, and if enough people with that sentiment begin to move on from the sport, well, that's bad for the business of the NFL.  The only question I have is "Why would the ownership group want to do anything that's bad for the business they are in?". 

On on top of that, the ownership group, in an attempt to reach out to the segment of the league protesting, gave them a reasonable alternative (protest by skipping the anthem all together)  and nearly $100m to the cause. To be blunt, I'm not even sure why the NFL has to carry this burden to begin with, other than it's got some real deep pockets. 

Finally, some have suggested removing the anthem altogether. My question is this, if no anthem equals no protest, how important is the cause?  Refuse to play, delay the game, skip the 4th quarter, whatever. Hell anyone that wants to could sit out in support of kaepernick as we speak. 

47 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

To the part in bold font, you should add "to me".  i don't question your heart, your politics or your sincerity, but I do disagree.  And if two reasonable people can disagree, many, many more can.  Some will see this as a big enough issue to withhold dollars spent for NFL products, and if enough people with that sentiment begin to move on from the sport, well, that's bad for the business of the NFL.  The only question I have is "Why would the ownership group want to do anything that's bad for the business they are in?". 

On on top of that, the ownership group, in an attempt to reach out to the segment of the league protesting, gave them a reasonable alternative (protest by skipping the anthem all together)  and nearly $100m to the cause. To be blunt, I'm not even sure why the NFL has to carry this burden to begin with, other than it's got some real deep pockets. 

Finally, some have suggested removing the anthem altogether. My question is this, if no anthem equals no protest, how important is the cause?  Refuse to play, delay the game, skip the 4th quarter, whatever. Hell anyone that wants to could sit out in support of kaepernick as we speak. 

I don't understand a flag or a song being more important than actual human beings, or the rights, ideals the flag is supposed to represent.   You disagree that's fine.    You have a segment of people who take offense.  You have another segment who simply do not like what the protest is meant to highlight.

The NFL owners have partners who are the players.  I highly doubt enough people will stop watching to make any real difference.  Fox just gave the NFL a record contract for Thursday night football, after, to hear them tell it, the offended segment turned their backs and their dollars on the league.  If football goes anywhere it will be based on health of players and less young people growing up in the game because of it.

Roger Goodell should go meet with Adam Silver to see how a league that is progressive and openly deals with social issues important to their partners has every player standing for the anthem.   The NBA treats the players with import.  The NFL runs like an authoritarian entity that does everything for a dollar.  The players are disposable.  The league couldn't care less about what the players were speaking about until the anthem protests.  Even the NFL salute to service is finance based.  The owners/league can do what they want, but the players might do the same, fine or no fine.  I would be willing to bet if half the players or more on both teams stay in the locker room we will hear complaints about that too.

The protest comes during the anthem because what it is supposed to represent versus the reality of actions.  If the anthem was not played I doubt we would see any disruption of games.  We  don't see that now.  The players would still speak out in various ways as various players did in past decades.  I don't believe the anthem was always played at team sporting events.  Yet you had your Jim Brown's and Bill Russell's and Kareem Abdul Jabbar's, etc.

Edited by purple haze
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

None of this would be an issue if the league wasn't receiving money from the armed forces. 

I don't know how the protests have affected or will affect the bottom line, but perhaps cutting ties with the armed forces (not to sound so negative; meaning "stop collecting their money") would be less of a blow to the bottom line than turning ignorant fans away over the protest controversy would. 

So, any fan that is turned off by this is ignorant?  Wow,how arrogant of you. How enlightened you are. May your light shine upon us lesser humans. 

Edited by El Guapo

6 hours ago, tumaro02 said:

After being a diehard Bills fan for many years--when the Bills players took a knee last year I immediately called Direct TV and cancelled my Sunday  Ticket and didn't attend or watch another Bills game last year. I have no interest in players (most of whom have done "nothing" in their life to earn the right to disrespect the flag and anthem provided by the blood shed for that freedom) use the stage to protest anything. I am one of those who hurt the NFL business in my disgust by stopping my payments for fan gear, tickets, etc. I am hoping the protests end so I can return to paying my hundreds of dollars this year to the Buffalo Bill coffers. If they adopt the Jets owner's lead they will save me a lot of money again this year. Whats next? So when 1500 players want to protest 1500 different social causes  you want the NFL ownership to support ALL of  those Player's causes too, and shove that down a $200.00 ticket payer 10 times? Provide them another venue if you wish but not one I am paying hundreds to watch.

Congratulations. Ostriches everywhere are proud of your capacity to keep social justice separate from violent sports entertainment. This country provides certain populations with considerable privilege. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

6 months or later, So far, I think the answer is pretty close to nothing.

Somebody got 90 million bucks out of it. But so far as I know most of the players have done zero. In terms of actually doing stuff. Maybe I am wrong but it seems like it would get more publicity if they did on account of them being famous athletes and stuff.

Colin K has done a LOT to affect social change. So many people enjoy (not you, necessarily) dumping on a guy who has actually handled himself with dignity and civic responsibility.