• Marshawn Lynch
    • Antowain Smith
    • Wray Carlton
    • Joe Cribbs
    • Kenneth Davis
    • Darrick Holmes
    • Other

3 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I didnt vote yet. It's really between Thurman and McCoy for me because I have an actual like I watched them play attachment to them.

However. Antowain Smith, I had to click results to see if he received any votes. And not to my surprise, he didn't. I just remember him getting a lot of hate in the late 90s. I was young, but I thought I was pretty perceptive. 

I'd love to hear some people older than me speak on how they thought he was regarded by fans. I remember, I could be wrong, but didn't he just a big ass run on that last scoring drive in Nashville in 99?

I think he was forced out while stiff arming a guy or ran out pretty easily and after the dude busted a big run all I can remember is my dad bitching " Thurman would have scored" My dad is a hot take artist.  I could also be completely wrong, I was 10. And I have no desire to watch that game again.

I remember him as a disappointment. He was a 1st round pick, but nothing special. His running style was pretty dull as well. I mean, I wouldn't call him "electrifying".  He didn't stay here very long, and then went to the Patriots....not a good look.

Travis Henry felt like a big leap up in ability, and excitement.

Edited by OJABBA

12 hours ago, Green Lightning said:

OJ was the best of the bunch however I just can't look past his after Bills life. I have to go with Thurman.

Those movies weren't that bad ;)

14 hours ago, K-9 said:

All due respect to TT, Shady, and the rest but they don’t come close to what OJ was on the field. 

I still remember when OJ went over 2000 yards and Rick Azar said on the broadcast “I wonder if any of us fully realize the significance of what we have just witnessed “

I started following football more closely, and becoming a Bills fan after the good days so that eliminates a lot on the list.

For me it's Fred and it's not even close.  The poll isn't about who the best RB is/was, it's about who is your favorite.  Henry, McGahee, Lynch and McCoy are all better running back but I freaking love Fred.  Great story, great guy, and a player that squeezed everything out of the talent that he had.

11 hours ago, Dopey said:

I remember crying as a kid when oj was traded. Too young to think about the bad knees and decline in performance. I voted Thurman though because of the Super Bowls. Even though we didn't win 1,  those were fun times ans I'm not sure we get there without him.  Tough call between the 2.

Fun times, indeed. As others have pointed out, the OP said “favorite” not “best”, which are quite different qualifiers. By that measure any number of RBs could head the list and TT is more than worthy on that score.

When it comes to best though, few RBs in history, let alone former Bills backs, can hold a candle to Simpson in terms of sheer ability. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

No, it isn't arguable.  I love McCoy, but Simpson was head and shoulders above him. 

I never saw OJ play.  I know about his speed and 2,000 yards in 14 games.

I don't know how he was in pass protection, making guys miss or recieving out of the backfield.

1 hour ago, Chicken Boo said:

I don't know how he was in pass protection, making guys miss or recieving out of the backfield.

I really don't recall what he did in pass protection.  Probably not much. 

Making guys miss?  OJ was one of the best all-time.  Maybe top five. Good as OJ was, I might give Shady the edge.  Shady is the only guy I've seen who approaches what Sanders could do.  

Pass receiving?  Outstanding.  Great hands.  Incredible after the catch.  Plenty of Bills fans say Thurman was a better receiver, but I don't think so.  The Bills ran a different offense and threw more to Thurman, but Simpson's averages were better.  Simpson had more yards per catch and more touchdowns per catch. 

OJ was a top 5 all-time running back.  Shady is underrated, but I doubt anyone who saw them both play would take Shady over OJ.  

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I really don't recall what he did in pass protection.  Probably not much. 

Making guys miss?  OJ was one of the best all-time.  Maybe top five. Good as OJ was, I might give Shady the edge.  Shady is the only guy I've seen who approaches what Sanders could do.  

Pass receiving?  Outstanding.  Great hands.  Incredible after the catch.  Plenty of Bills fans say Thurman was a better receiver, but I don't think so.  The Bills ran a different offense and threw more to Thurman, but Simpson's averages were better.  Simpson had more yards per catch and more touchdowns per catch. 

OJ was a top 5 all-time running back.  Shady is underrated, but I doubt anyone who saw them both play would take Shady over OJ.  

OJ probably didnt need to pass protect much.  Teams keyed on him even in the flats so he would take two defenders with him.  Plus he carried the ball 30 plus times a game.. Almost unheard of in today’s game.

Edited by North Buffalo

8 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

Asking OJ to pass block would be like hitching a thoroughbred horse to a plow. ;)

13 hours ago, K-9 said:

Fun times, indeed. As others have pointed out, the OP said “favorite” not “best”, which are quite different qualifiers. By that measure any number of RBs could head the list and TT is more than worthy on that score.

When it comes to best though, few RBs in history, let alone former Bills backs, can hold a candle to Simpson in terms of sheer ability. 

And no one could jump over those airport seats like The Juice! 

On 5/10/2018 at 4:03 PM, THE SLAMMER said:

50 cent beer, $1 program

i remember...50 yd line seats--'new' stands(visitor side) both down low(15 rows up) AND 50 rows up. I still remember sitting right behind a big heavy guy who used to do beer commercials on local TV:):)---

--the programs were really nice--

On 5/10/2018 at 5:28 PM, Chicken Boo said:

Shady.  Arguably the most talented RB the Bills have ever had.  

no not arguable at all. He isnt anywhere near OJ in talent. Come on man ...-And thats not putting down Lesean--who is an excellent RB....one of the better RBs in the nfl the past 6 yrs

9 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Thanks for posting this.   I wasn't in Buffalo in those days and never saw Hooks play.   Some fantastic running in this video. 

Hooks was a real good player. If he were playing today he'd be making 6 mil per yr

Edited by Tcali

1 minute ago, Dadonkadonk said:

OJ was the most talented. Thomas the most productive. Cribbs was Thomas with a worse QB and an injured star WR.  

Thomas is the only jersey I own.  Signed HOF edition.  Enough said.

most productive>??  How could OJ have been any more productive??? He was the majority of the offense. He produced as much as any RB could have produced.

• Like (+1) 1

I voted Thurm but just raw RB talent, nobody has more than Shady w/ OJ a close 2nd.

On 5/10/2018 at 9:29 PM, njbuff said:

What, no love for Shawn Bryson, Sammy Morris or Jonathon Linton?

I'm horrified.

:D

If we're going that far what about Larry Kinnebrew

35 minutes ago, Bills Freak said:

I voted Thurm but just raw RB talent, nobody has more than Shady w/ OJ a close 2nd.

If we're going that far what about Larry Kinnebrew

Man, Shady wishes he could do what OJ could day. 

That said, as I've said in this thread, Shady is underrated around the country.   If he gains 2000 yards more in his career (barring injury, he should make it no problem), he's 16th on the all-time list, right there with Thurman.   He's 27th on the yards per attempt list, right there with OJ.  15 more rushing touchdowns in his career (also quite likely), he's 18th all-time, right there with Marshawn.   

The guy is special.   

And, once again, not many teams have had running backs like Buffalo.   OJ, Thurm, Lynch, Shady, Cribbs and Cookie.  And Freddie.   Wow.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/10/2018 at 12:31 PM, Bruce_Stools said:

Who is your favorite RB that has played for the Bills and why? The RB could have found more success after their stint in Buffalo(Lynch) or not(Jackson, Spiller).  Maybe you prefer O.J. because of his role in naked gun. Any reason at all.

You forgot Greg Bell, Robb Riddick, Roland Hooks, and Van Williams.

Edited by mileena

I voted Travis.  As a person, awful.  As a player, decent but he had a stiff arm that was like a Bruce Lee punch to the face.

Also where is Brad Smith?

Edited by The Wiz