Am I the only one? I'll take any of the top 6 QBs

Rubes

Just now, BillsInWilmingtonNC said:

If McBeane are sold  on Jackson, I would love to get him at 22 and allow us to get Roquan Smith at 12 or possibly trade up a few spots if we had to in order to get him.  But obviously QB is #1 and it all hinges on who they think they can be successful with.

If they are sold on Jackson, they better take him at 12.  Drafting a LB 1st and waiting on him would be foolish when you put the appropriate value on the two positions. 

• Like (+1) 1

To be honest, I am both OK and apprehensive about all six possible first round QBs.  I'm OK with any one of them because I think they all have upside and could turn out to be good or better NFL QBs.  I'm apprehensive, because they all have flaws to their game (even Josh Rosen) that make them a risk.  There is no sure thing at QB in this draft.  I don't know that there ever is, but that is more true of this draft than in some.

Since there is “no Luck or Wentz” in this draft and many pundits are on record as saying they are all flawed I’m happy with any of them. 

People argue for one quarterback and say their guy can be coached but the others can’t. At this point I’ve seen so many write ups on them I think the top 6 could all have good careers in the NFL. At the same point statistically and historically only two or three of the six will be any good. I think 1983 was the best when Elway, Eason, Blackledge, Kelly, O’Brien and Marino went in the first. If they had fan message boards back then how many people would rip apart Kelly for his shoulder issue or Marino for the drug rumors. 

Since I’m not an NFL scout I’ll hope that the Bills will finally get it right because they know a lot more than I do with how they want to build their team. 

I don’t think you’re the only one, Rubes, but I don’t agree. Despite the insanity of this purported ‘Super QB Draft, I expect a few of the “premier choices” to crap the bed in the pros, making it a historic ‘Fools Gold Draft’. Especially so for all the underclassmen with <30 games starting. I’m sure there’ve been a couple through the years who eventually grew to be competent, but no where near enough of a history for accurate judgement or expectations. IMO, throw out all of them who are in need of serious technique adjustments and those whose accuracy issues are already suspect. These 3 historic Red Flags knock at least 4 of them out of the equation. With the ghosts of Sammy, Marcel, Darby & Cordy looming over our Draft Table, the Best bets, IMO, are Mayfield & Rudolph -with Rudolph fitting the ‘McBeane type’.

Then, just like Manuel & Losman, we can HOPE...

• Like (+1) 2

Excellent post, and very much needed in this time of insanity.

So much hyperanalysis over outcomes that nobody can predict at this stage of the game. Let's just pick a dude, develop him as best we can, and see how it works out. 

• Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, 4thandGoal said:

i would be okay with any one of them but the only one I would grab in the top 5 is Darnold and then picks 6-12 would be Allen, Rosen and Mayfield and I would wait to 22 to grab Jackson or Rudolph. 

Unfortunately i think will have to take one at 12 I don’t believe anyone of them will be there at 22 , 

3 minutes ago, BillsInWilmingtonNC said:

If McBeane are sold  on Jackson, I would love to get him at 22 and allow us to get Roquan Smith at 12 or possibly trade up a few spots if we had to in order to get him.  But obviously QB is #1 and it all hinges on who they think they can be successful with.

You'll be able to get someone who's better than Roquan Smith in next year's FA, but you may not get someone better than Jackson.

It's pretty straightforward - try like hell to get into top 5, if not take Jackson if he's there at 12.  If not, then cry. 

• Like (+1) 2

I would take any of them but depending on where we pick them. If we trade up I would limit it to Darnold or Mayfield.

I would take Rosen at anywhere 8-12. I'm not ready to give up too much fir Rosen at this point but I'll trust Beane and company to make the decision. I'm about even on Allen or Rosen. The rest keep our picks and take one late in first or second round.

Edited by Radar

1 hour ago, Rubes said:

Lots of strong opinions out there on the top 6 QBs (Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, Allen, Jackson, and Rudolph), and I get that. Some people desperately want a certain guy, and cringe at the thought of us drafting others. Some would be ready to throw in the towel if we don't get one of the top 4, and would see this as a complete disaster if we end up with Jackson or Rudolph.

Am I the only one who would be excited to have any one of those 6 QBs?

Each has intriguing qualities and each has their weaknesses. Sure, a few of them stand out more than the others, but I think the potential ceilings of all of them are quite high. Jackson could be electric to watch (and I'm not in the camp that thinks he would be just another TT), Allen has all the tools, and Rudolph excels in many areas and could end up being an outstanding QB.

That's a lot of 'potential', but that's everyone in the draft, right? I just feel like any of those 6 could be a franchise QB, and all of them have features that would make them exciting to watch. Not trying to be a homer, I just don't think any of them strike me the same way that JP or EJ did when they were drafted.

This is a professional sports franchise not Poojer's PlentyOfFish account.  We need to have SOME discretion and not just be happy to have someone.

Edited by Jauronimo

28 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

If they are sold on Jackson, they better take him at 12.  Drafting a LB 1st and waiting on him would be foolish when you put the appropriate value on the two positions. 

Yeah, I think you are probably right.  I am not a Jackson fan which is why I would hate to see them take him that high, I am firmly in the Rosen camp.  I do not think the Bills want Jackson, but if that is who they ultimately choose, I will fully support him and trust that they believe he has the skills to be successful.

3 minutes ago, BillsInWilmingtonNC said:

Yeah, I think you are probably right.  I am not a Jackson fan which is why I would hate to see them take him that high, I am firmly in the Rosen camp.  I do not think the Bills want Jackson, but if that is who they ultimately choose, I will fully support him and trust that they believe he has the skills to be successful.

I'm right there with you on Rosen.  I don't believe they are aiming for Jackson, but I see him as a nice fallback option if they can't get up high enough. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 1

Pretty fascinating responses, thanks everyone. I'm not alone, I see! But the range of opinions is really interesting. Some say they'd only be happy with one of the top 4, but their top 4 is different than other people's. Some say they would despair with one particular guy, others say that's the guy they would target. Crazy!

I will push back against those suggesting what I'm saying is that I'd be "happy to have someone". Never did I say I'd be happy with anyone. Just any of those top 6. They all appear to have significant upside to me, and I'd be excited to see any of them in a Bills uni. There are plenty of other QBs in this draft besides those 6, and it's not like I'd be happy with any of them.

6 minutes ago, Rubes said:

Pretty fascinating responses, thanks everyone. I'm not alone, I see! But the range of opinions is really interesting. Some say they'd only be happy with one of the top 4, but their top 4 is different than other people's. Some say they would despair with one particular guy, others say that's the guy they would target. Crazy!

I will push back against those suggesting what I'm saying is that I'd be "happy to have someone". Never did I say I'd be happy with anyone. Just any of those top 6. They all appear to have significant upside to me, and I'd be excited to see any of them in a Bills uni. There are plenty of other QBs in this draft besides those 6, and it's not like I'd be happy with any of them.

I don't see much upside in Rudolph.  

• Like (+1) 2

I don't like Rudolph's arm.  I think he could be an okay mid-to-bottom-tier starter down the line, but I don't see him being a "franchise" guy.  Allen scares me too.  I could see him flopping badly, but I thought the same thing about Carson Wentz.  I like the other four guys though and would be happy to stay put and grab Jackson at 12.

I think there are 6 guys out there but I'm not going to consider 3 of them.

Darnold.................he will not be available except at #1 or #2 and we can not afford to trade up and take a franchise QB away from somebody who also wants him.

Allen..................played 2 years at Reedely Junior College, 2 years at a team in the 7th best conference.  QB rating of 6 against Colorado, and 30 against Iowa.  Smoked Gardner Webb 27-0.     Best victory last year was against #83 ranked Colorado State.   Did NOT play against top competition and had a low % completion rate.  Too much of a risk for the Bills.   Also, lets be real..  The coaching staff is NOT going to risk their careers on his "potential".

Mayfield..............He is six foot tall.  The only 6' QB's in the last ? 20 years that were franchise type were Russel (runs about 4.5, where Mayfield runs a DE type 4.8) and Breese  (very accurate, holds 5 of the 9 alltime 5000yard passing records).    Not accurate or fast enough to measure up to other 6' QB. I'll pass.

That leaves Rudoph,  Jackson and Rosen to go for in the #6? to #18 range.   It is a deep draft.  Use those first 3 round picks wisely.

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

You are definitely entitled to that opinion, but I really can't understand how anyone could actually think this way. They are both so-so passers, Rudolph probably a bit better. They have terrible footwork. Jackson is a ridiculous athlete with great size. Rudolph has great size, but has small hands and limited arm strength. Both need lots of work, but the upside of Jackson, if you can develop him is exponentially higher than Rudolph. Rudolph's floor is something like Bryce Petty and his ceiling is probably something like Drew Stanton. Jackson's floor is "switch to another position," and his upside is a better Mike Vick. 

That is what I see. 

I just don't see Rudolph as that bad when I watch him.  You may be right, as I am not a professional scout.  However, I see a guy who looks like he could be a good starting NFL QB, without top arm strength.  Now, at least in my view, a lot of very good NFL QBs don't have rocket launchers.  I see Rudolph as having "adequate" arm strength not "weak".

I guess we'll find out over the next 2-3 years.

most pundits feel half these 6 will bust. It's the job of our scouts and player personnel dept to weed out the bigger risk guys.  there is no doubt that all 6 qbs have their issues and strengths.  I still think Darnold and Mayfield are the strongest of the 6. Rosen in the middle with durability concerns and the other three I think have the strongest possibility of being busts. At this point, before all our heads explode, we have to just trust McDermott & Beane and the scouting Dept. that they will choose the right guy??????

1 hour ago, eball said:

I'm going to trust that Beane/McD are getting the guy they believe in, who could be had for the best "price" in draft capital.  I'll wait and see before making any final judgment.

But you know all too well that many fans have already dug in their heels with respect to why one or another of these guys is "can't miss" or "guaranteed bust."  I'll never understand it, but it keeps things entertaining around here.

There are many people here who already have their minds made up before the draftees have even taken a practice snap.  Entertaining is certainly one word for it... :lol:

To the op point I think all 6 of the top guys are easy to talk yourself into being the right one.  They all have positives and negatives.  I have favorites but will be happy and hopeful with whomever is drafted.

46 minutes ago, Mark92 said:

I have felt this way all along.  I would prefer one of the top 4 but I think Lamar Jackson is going to be special.  I'm just too scared to take him.  

I was thinking about this last night.  Lamar Jackson is probably the scariest prospect both for your team to draft and for a team in your division to draft.  He could be a game changing mega star or he could be a huge bust.  If he continues to improve as a passer he will be electric.  If he doesn't he won't last in the league.  He did run the offense Dabol likes in college so this could be a great situation for him.  He should be there at 12 too and not cost any capital.

My doesn't matter ranking is Mayfield, Rosen, Jackson as my top 3 favorite guys for the Bills.  I'd like them the most but as op stated I can talk myself into liking any one of the top 6.

2 hours ago, Rubes said:

Lots of strong opinions out there on the top 6 QBs (Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, Allen, Jackson, and Rudolph), and I get that. Some people desperately want a certain guy, and cringe at the thought of us drafting others. Some would be ready to throw in the towel if we don't get one of the top 4, and would see this as a complete disaster if we end up with Jackson or Rudolph.

Each has intriguing qualities and each has their weaknesses. Sure, a few of them stand out more than the others, but I think the potential ceilings of all of them are quite high. Jackson could be electric to watch (and I'm not in the camp that thinks he would be just another TT), Allen has all the tools, and Rudolph excels in many areas and could end up being an outstanding QB.

That's a lot of 'potential', but that's everyone in the draft, right? I just feel like any of those 6 could be a franchise QB, and all of them have features that would make them exciting to watch. Not trying to be a homer, I just don't think any of them strike me the same way that JP or EJ did when they were drafted.

I have my opinions, and would be more excited for some than others, but I also recognize that 1) trade ups depend upon willing trade partners 2) I don't have the full data set available to our FO and am not a professional so my opinions should** have less weight.  I would actually be OK even if we don't take one of these QB in the 1st round and trade down/up for Mike White or Kyle Lauletta.

2 hours ago, zevo said:

I agree with this...just get a guy to develop....there is not one better than the other at this point....my personal favorite big swing would be Jackson...

I have to disagree with this.  There are clear differences in how these 6 guys perform, AS QB on the field.  Then it comes down to teams weighting in "intangibles" like character, leadership, etc. to which fans don't have full access - and here is where I think teams go wrong in getting away from pure analysis of QB as QB and athletes to throw in all kinds of stuff and "persuade" themselves into an "appropriate" choice.

**the should is there because in the last 20 years, there a bunch of drafts where Random Bills Fans relying upon media scouting reports could arguably have drafted better than the NFL professionals employed by the Bills.  We hope those days are gone.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

I think Beane, McDermott and the Pegulas and possibly Joe Schoen are the only ones who know, but I personally wouldn't be happy with any of the 6.

I would have only 3 QBs with a first-round grade on the Bills board and the order is Darnold, Rosen and Allen.  I think Mayfield's personality just isn't a good fit.  There's a difference between independent thinking (Rosen) and breaking the law/work ethic issues (Mayfield).  I think they are staying away from Mayfield.  Those comparing Mayfield to Brees are misguided.  Too many red flags for me...arrest, not studying for an interview, keeping a list of media members who dissed you.  That's crazytown stuff.....not franchise leader.

I think the Bills have targeted pick 5 or 6 and if one of the top 3 drops to 5 or 6 there will be a deal.

I think they will give up next year's first and 3-32 (96) before they give up 1-22 to move up to 5 or 6.   McDermott has told Beane he needs an ILB, WR, C/G and OT to play and Beane will keep capital to get McDermott what he needs.

I posted that a friend of mine covered the Senior Bowl and heard good things from players about the impression of the Bills leadership.  That has continued through the pre-draft process.  There is a positive buzz about Buffalo billieve it or not.

Edited by JoeF
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, JoeF said:

I think Beane, McDermott and the Pegulas and possibly Joe Schoen are the only ones who know, but I personally wouldn't be happy with any of the 6.

I would have only 3 QBs with a first-round grade on the Bills board and the order is Darnold, Rosen and Allen.  I think Mayfield's personality just isn't a good fit.  There's a difference between independent thinking (Rosen) and breaking the law/work ethic issues (Mayfield).  I think they are staying away from Mayfield.  Those comparing Mayfield to Brees are misguided.  Too many red flags for me...arrest, not studying for an interview, keeping a list of media members who dissed you.  That's crazytown stuff.....not franchise leader.

I think the Bills have targeted pick 5 or 6 and if one of the top 3 drops to 5 or 6 there will be a deal.

I think they will give up next year's first and 3-32 (96) before they give up 1-22 to move up to 5 or 6.   McDermott has told Beane he needs an ILB, WR, C/G and OT to play and Beane will keep capital to get McDermott what he needs.

I posted that a friend of mine covered the Senior Bowl and heard good things from players about the impression of the Bills leadership.  That has continued through the pre-draft process.  There is a positive buzz about Buffalo billieve it or not.

I like Mayfield, but you make a plausible argument.  I personally prefer Darnold and Allen above the others.  I am worried about Rosen's durability.  He is the most polished, but I don't think his ceiling is as high as Darnold or Allen.  Allen is more of a risk and will take longer to develop.  Some wonder if we have the coaches to develop a qb.  I don't know, but you've got to hope we do.  I think you have to get to 1 or 2 to get Darnold.  Allen might fall to 5.  I think Rosen the most likely to be available there.

40 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I just don't see Rudolph as that bad when I watch him.  You may be right, as I am not a professional scout.  However, I see a guy who looks like he could be a good starting NFL QB, without top arm strength.  Now, at least in my view, a lot of very good NFL QBs don't have rocket launchers.  I see Rudolph as having "adequate" arm strength not "weak".

I guess we'll find out over the next 2-3 years.

I am not a scout either, but I feel he does not have adequate arm strengths. He throws a nice deep ball but he cannot drive the ball into tight windows. I see a guy who threw to a bunch of wide open receivers. I'm sure he is a very nice guy, but again I think his ceiling is Drew Stanton, a guy that can come in and start a few games and be mediocre.  Stanton had a bit more potential and athletic upside coming out. Does Rudolph do some nice things? Sure. So do AJ McCarron and Nathan Peterman. Go watch AJ McCarron play and tell me Rudolph has more upside. Go watch Peterman's college film and tell me the same. Those guys were 5th round picks. 

I think Rudolph lovers are missing the point that Rudolph changes nothing and does not alter the destiny of this franchise. We need a high potential, elite quarterback prospect on this team. That is Darnold, Allen, Rosen and one could argue Jackson. I even understand why people like Mayfield, though I strongly dislike him. He does have upside. Rudolph is a JAG. Nothing special and will not beat out McCarron. He changes nothing and we will be looking for a quarterback again in 2 years. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 1

I'm really starting to believe that the Bills are locked in on taking Lamar Jackson because he's the only "top" QB they didn't show much interest in. I also think they may trade up a couple picks from #12 to make sure that either the Dolphins don't take him or the Cardinals don't jump ahead of them for Jackson.

This board will no doubt implode, but Jackson is an obvious fit for Beane, McDermott and Daboll. The dude has it all...extreme physical skills, his arm and passing technique needs some work but is nothing that wouldn't prevent him from becoming a very successful franchise QB, he's very likable, and he's very coachable. He's my choice for the Bills franchise QB.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

I actually feel the opposite.

I think Jackson is a waste of a pick and Rudolph has some upside

Allen and Jackson are the two high ceiling/low floor guys in this draft IMO.  Allen could be the next Ben Roethlisberger or he could be the next Brady Quinn. 

Lamar Jackson could be Love Child of Mike Vick and Russ Wilson or he could be the next Vince Young or RGIII.

Rudolph is perhaps more the Joe Flacco or Andy Dalton of the draft - never too high, never too low, the capable, competent guy who will do a decent job but you can't count on him to be "clutch" and raise his game when you're down 14 points in the last 5 minutes.  He may disappear instead.

There is no chance that there are six good QBs from this draft five years from now.  That doesn't mean that the top four are the four best necessarily or that Jackson and Rudolph are doomed.  But when the dust settles there will be a bust and a so-so/backup in this group of six.

The secret is in evaluating them properly, and developing and utilizing the guy you get.

Allen scares me a lot for his accuracy and decision making (jury out), which can never be secondary to the "big hands, all the throws" crap.  But he still has a path to stardom.

Mayfield (my choice) could be more Manziel than Brees and not overcome his small size and medium arm strength.

Darnold could get stuck at "pretty good" by continuing to turn the ball over, but has a very high floor.

Rosen could be more Ryan Mallet than Matt Ryan, and with his lack of mobility he will have to have timing, quick release, and decision making all go in his favor.

Jackson I think has a very good chance to be better than projected and end up one of the four best, and I think people get confused on his performance in designed runs vs scrambling.  He was so good running that he wasn't always a pocket passer, but his pocket passing has a chance to develop, and there are some things I like about rolling dice on his incredible athletic ability more than Allen, but there is definite risk.

Rudolph is an interesting wild card.  I see more solid backup than playoff game winner in him.  I just see the NFL game moving a little too fast for his talents.

2 hours ago, Rubes said:

This is kind of where I'm at.  Any of these six could be great and any of them could bust, and no one (even NFL scouts) really knows which ones will fall into either category.  I like Allen and Rosen more than the other four, and I think Darnold is hugely overrated, but I also recognize that I could be entirely wrong.  Lots of smart people disagree about these QB prospects.  There is nothing wrong with a team having strong convictions, but they also need to understand that they are fallible.

• Like (+1) 1

I completely agree with the OP.  If our admin likes one of them well enough to make them a high pick I am all in.  All the pre-draft stuff is hogwash.  Long shots make it, medium shots make it and sure-shots misfire plenty.  So all anyone has is an educated guess.  I trust McDermott and Bean's educated guess as much as anyone's whether or not their guy works out (if they pick one).  Why?  Because I believe they will have done all the homework they can which is all any fan can ask.  Sometimes the best laid plans are not good enough.  For now, if they take a guy (even hot tub boy), I will be all in and keep the faith unless and until proven otherwise.

10 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

It's not six. It is four. And I would only take three of them. Darnold, Rosen, Allen.

Jackson makes some sense with a huge upside. Rudolph is a wasted pick as he is a marginal talent who might be a serviceable back up. 

Jackson's 13 on the Wonderlic was impressive.