Peter Schrager: somehow, some way, Sam Darnold is a Buffalo Bill

24 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Did he have any specific details?

No, it was in a "draft day predictions" segment.

He said he didn't know if it would be a trade up or for how much, just that Darnold would be a Bill. One of the other guys (not Schrager) predicted Darnold would slide to 6 and the Bills would trade up with the Colts to get him.

17 minutes ago, Logic said:

Here is one thing I DO Believe: Darnold is #1 on the Bills' board and has been for a long time.

I also believe that the reason the Bills and Giants are waiting to pull the trigger on a trade is that they're waiting to see what the Browns do at 1. If the Browns take Allen, the Bills will trade up to 2 and take Darnold. If the Browns take Darnold at 1, the Bills move on to plan B, which likely involves trading up to the 4-6 range for Rosen or Allen.

I think Darnold screams "Bills DNA" (whatever that means), and they'll do everything they can to get him if possible.

He definitely fits the DNA. And has never missed a game due to injury. Where he doesn’t fit the player profile we’ve seen from the last draft his experience. He’s the least experienced QB in the draft. He didn’t even play 2 full seasons of cfb. He didn’t even start playing QB until his sophomore year of HS, and then missed almost his entire Jr year with a broken foot. USC offered him only after he showed up to a camp and lit it up with his passing. He’s very young (only 20) and very raw, which is just a departure from what they’ve done in the past with rookies. But the rest may outweigh that.

at the very least if he’s the guy we can officially throw out the narrative that they want Arm Strength and hand size for the weather. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

One of the other guys (not Schrager) predicted Darnold would slide to 6 and the Bills would trade up with the Colts to get him.

That would be ideal.  Only happens if Browns take Allen, Jets take Rosen/Mayfield, Broncos pass on qb and Giants/Browns/Broncos take positional players w/out trading out.  Possible, I suppose.

Edited by Dr. Who

37 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Im wondering what it is actually gonna take to get to 5 realistically.

The Bills will probably at least have to throw in a pair of Sketchers horseshoes for equine-faced Elway in order to seal a deal...

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

interceptions and fumbles don't bother anybody?  how about the wonky throwing motion and poor footwork in the pocket?  not worth trading all of those extra picks over someone like Rosen.  would be a very poor decision based on where we are picking in this draft.  if we were picking #1 and we had our choice then fine you can talk yourself into him maybe but the extra picks make it not worth it value-wise.  Rosen is the best QB in the draft and he will be available at 5

But you have to look at every aspect of a player.  Being able to suit up on Sunday’s being  #1.  I don’t know that Rosen will be injury prone, but he’s not off to a good start.  Concussions, slighter frame and shoulder problems are part of his equation. McD has stated that he really likes a QB that can throw on the move outside of the pocket.  Darnold is much better in that respect than Rosen.

I agree, rosen is currently the best qB in this class and I’d be VERY happy if we landed him....but there are other factors other than just playing QB.  

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I really believe this is gonna be a draft that puts out more then 3 starting NFL qbs when it is all said and done.

I think it’s going to be 3 guys that no one ever expected.

28 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

I think that is a big risk to speculate what he might be.  He has just as much of a chance to not be that as well.  But like I said, if we were picking #1 and had our choice and they said we like Darnold over everyone else because of xyz then fine, but the fact of the matter is he would cost WAY more to get than someone who you admit is better right now.  If we trade up to 4 or 5 and they are both there then so be it but to go out of your way to trade away more picks is silly imo

I see Darnold, Rosen, and Mayfield as coin flips. So if I have my choice between them all I'm taking the one that I think has the highest ceiling. IMO that's Darnold although I could see arguments for Rosen. I like Darnold's attitude better than Rosen's too. I'd be happy with either but that's my take on it.

1 minute ago, turftoe said:

I don't think Darnold gets past the Jets. If the Bills really want him, they will have to pay the ransom to get to #2

At this point, after all of the discussions about what we should do, my thought is :censored: it. Do what you have to do to get your guy, as long as our guy is not Lamar Jackson, the rest of the details will work themselves out. I want Mayfield or Rosen, but if Darnold is their guy then so be it. 

49 minutes ago, Wo-Bah said:

I would be ecstatic with either Darnold or Rosen.  I am not sure how we'd get Darnold, though.  I think he's going # 1.

I think so too. But then again, we're talking Cleveland here. They can mess up a good wet dream.

8 minutes ago, NewEra said:

But you have to look at every aspect of a player.  Being able to suit up on Sunday’s being  #1.  I don’t know that Rosen will be injury prone, but he’s not off to a good start.  Concussions, slighter frame and shoulder problems are part of his equation. McD has stated that he really likes a QB that can throw on the move outside of the pocket.  Darnold is much better in that respect than Rosen.

I agree, rosen is currently the best qB in this class and I’d be VERY happy if we landed him....but there are other factors other than just playing QB.  

You can take the extra 1st and 2nd round picks and use them on great OL players.

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I see Darnold, Rosen, and Mayfield as coin flips. So if I have my choice between them all I'm taking the one that I think has the highest ceiling. IMO that's Darnold although I could see arguments for Rosen. I like Darnold's attitude better than Rosen's too. I'd be happy with either but that's my take on it.

Even when one costs way more than the other? As you said there are no sure things. An extra 1st and 2nd to get Darnold over Rosen or Mayfield is nuts

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

Even when one costs way more than the other? As you said there are no sure things. An extra 1st and 2nd to get Darnold over Rosen or Mayfield is nuts

If I'm the Bills I don't assume any one of those 3 makes it past Denver. So I'm trading up to at least 4 and taking the best one. I've grown more wary of Mayfield and Rosen over the past couple weeks. Mayfield comes from a spread system and Rosen is a statue in the pocket with an injury history. So I personally would pay the extra cost for Darnold.

16 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Has anyone listened to his Podcast “Season of Sam”? He sounds exactly like McDermott. McD probably has to hold back on how much he would trade for him.

That's how I see it as well.  Darnold is a perfect fit for the process

Early on in the process, I didn't know what to think about Darnold. Rosen is more polished as a passer, and so I gravitated toward him. The more you watch Darnold, though, the more you get it. He reminds me of Roethlisberger. Great pocket presence, ability to make steps here and there to avoid the rush. Definitely got moxie. I think he'll pan out.

Right now I have 4 tiers:

Darnold/Rosen

Mayfield

Allen/Jackson (way down yonder on the Chattahoochee)

Everyone else

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, mannc said:

Relax, Darnold has a high football IQ.  And he’s coming from a school that reliably produces great NFL QBs.  Oh, wait...

Im a big Rosen fan but have been warming up to Darnold. Just curious what schools do reliably produce great nfl qb's? Personally I cant think of any

Just now, Wsam4031 said:

Im a big Rosen fan but have been warming up to Darnold. Just curious what schools do reliably produce great nfl qb's? Personally I cant think of any

Not great NFL QBs per se, but highest rates appear to be Michigan State & NC State.

MSU had Stanton, Cousins, and Hoyer all start in the same week a few times.

NC State had Rivers, Glennon, and (kind of) Russ Wilson.

Just now, transplantbillsfan said:

Is that true???

Hey... know what other QB Bills fans are pretty fond of who was recruited by Joe Paterno as an LB...? 

Sounds like Darnold would fit right in in Buffalo :flirt:

Yes it’s true. He has a LB build too And it does remind me of 12. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Not great NFL QBs per se, but highest rates appear to be Michigan State & NC State.

MSU had Stanton, Cousins, and Hoyer all start in the same week a few times.

NC State had Rivers, Glennon, and (kind of) Russ Wilson.

my point is when you look at the nfl over the past 20 years there is not a school that consistently pops out qbs. To be negative on a guy because of past players from a certain school is just a bad way to look at things. No school is putting out great qbs consistently that's why its such a crap shoot.

1 minute ago, Wsam4031 said:

my point is when you look at the nfl over the past 20 years there is not a school that consistently pops out qbs. To be negative on a guy because of past players from a certain school is just a bad way to look at things. No school is putting out great qbs consistently that's why its such a crap shoot.

I don't think it's the best way to look at things at all. But on one sunday last year 6 of the 32 teams starters went to 2 colleges. That's pretty good I think.

10 minutes ago, Wsam4031 said:

Well, there are a few, but my point is USC is infamous for producing overhyped busts who stink as soon as they are removed from the Trojan bubble.  It’s happened often enough that I doubt it’s a coincidence.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, mannc said:

Well, there are a few, but my point is USC is infamous for producing overhyped busts who stink as soon as they are removed from the Trojan bubble.  It’s happened often enough that I doubt it’s a coincidence.

Only the two that played for Cheatey Petey and came from Mater Dei

Edited by YoloinOhio

I agree. We will sohow end up with Darnold and next year we will have roughly $100million in salary cap to use in Free Agency with a rookie QB contract. The AFC East will be very different in the next 5-8 years. Cmon McBean figure it out and make it happen please for all Bills Mafia!!!!!

1 minute ago, mannc said:

I think you just look at who busted and where they were and thall say a lot about why they busted. That's not just usc qbs its all early qbs. Like I said im onboard for rosen first but would not be upset with Darnold at all. Im not at all skeptical or worried about him because leinhart and sanchez were bums. FOr every Jim Kelley there is a Ken Dorsey or gino toretta

2 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

Lol what? The Browns are a mess. These 2 players are TOTAL OPPOSITES. How can you be deciding between 2 completely different players?

Josh Allen:

Tall, big hands, poor college stats

Baker Mayfield:

Short, small hands, amazing college stats

What do they value? How can they be zeroing in on polar opposites? If they value big strong players then that imediately disqualified Mayfield. If they value completion percentage then Allen is off the board. This is bizarre even for Cleveland

Edited by kdiggz
  • Haha (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

If I'm the Bills I don't assume any one of those 3 makes it past Denver. So I'm trading up to at least 4 and taking the best one. I've grown more wary of Mayfield and Rosen over the past couple weeks. Mayfield comes from a spread system and Rosen is a statue in the pocket with an injury history. So I personally would pay the extra cost for Darnold.

But then you need to think about how people are saying Darnold is a turnover machine