Peter Schrager: somehow, some way, Sam Darnold is a Buffalo Bill

3 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

Lol what? The Browns are a mess. These 2 players are TOTAL OPPOSITES. How can you be deciding between 2 completely different players?

Josh Allen:

Tall, big hands, poor college stats

Baker Mayfield:

Short, small hands, amazing college stats

What do they value? How can they be zeroing in on polar opposites? If they value big strong players then that imediately disqualified Mayfield. If they value completion percentage then Allen is off the board. This is bizarre even for Cleveland

Truth is they probably like 1 and not the other. 

3 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

Lol what? The Browns are a mess. These 2 players are TOTAL OPPOSITES. How can you be deciding between 2 completely different players?

Maybe they are thinking of taking 1 with 1st pick and the other with 4th pick. Then find a way to mash them together, for the ultimate qb prospect. Bills get Darnold and he still ends up the better qb than browns Mash-up lol

8 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

But then you need to think about how people are saying Darnold is a turnover machine

I don't really understand why college turnovers matter so much. His stats are fine. Turnovers in 1 year could be many things. 

Darnold checks every single franchise QB box. 

Edited by TheTruthHurts
  • Like (+1) 1

My only issue with Darnold is the lack of experience at quarterback. He started 1 year in high school and two at USC. He is really young (hasn't turned 21) but  a lot of draft people see a guy who could be Andrew Luck. Again, I'd be ecstatic with Darnold or Rosen. 

14 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

But then you need to think about how people are saying Darnold is a turnover machine

JMO but his interceptions were from playing hero ball more than poor ball placement or mechanics. You can't fix poor accuracy but you can fix that mindset.

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

JMO but his interceptions were from playing hero ball more than poor ball placement or mechanics. You can't fix poor accuracy but you can fix that mindset.

His intermediate and middle of the field accuracy coupled with his experience with the zone read makes me think he would fit in well with what Daboll has experience building around 

13 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think the coaches would rather teach a QB to reign it in vs try to teach him to just !@#$ing throw the ball.

respectfully

Yeah the only way to learn to not throw interceptions is to throw a lot of interceptions as weird as that sounds. That's easier than trying to teach someone timing. Darnold has excellent timing and anticipation. When people talk about a project QB that's what I want my project to be, as opposed to someone like Allen who you have to teach QB skills from scratch.

7 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

My only issue with Darnold is the lack of experience at quarterback. He started 1 year in high school and two at USC. He is really young (hasn't turned 21) but  a lot of draft people see a guy who could be Andrew Luck. Again, I'd be ecstatic with Darnold or Rosen. 

The question with any perceived negative is whether it can be corrected. Can't make a guy bigger or faster......You can give him experience though by playing for the Bills!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, kdiggz said:

I think that is a big risk to speculate what he might be.  He has just as much of a chance to not be that as well.  But like I said, if we were picking #1 and had our choice and they said we like Darnold over everyone else because of xyz then fine, but the fact of the matter is he would cost WAY more to get than someone who you admit is better right now.  If we trade up to 4 or 5 and they are both there then so be it but to go out of your way to trade away more picks is silly imo

I actually think Darnold is better now. And as a UCLA alum, I like Rosen and would be happy to have him.

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

His intermediate and middle of the field accuracy coupled with his experience with the zone read makes me think he would fit in well with what Daboll has experience building around 

Correct.  He is SO ACCURATE - no QB in this class hits receivers in stride the way Darnold does.

28 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

Josh Allen:

Tall, big hands, poor college stats

Baker Mayfield:

Short, small hands, amazing college stats

What do they value? How can they be zeroing in on polar opposites? If they value big strong players then that imediately disqualified Mayfield. If they value completion percentage then Allen is off the board. This is bizarre even for Cleveland

I mean fore one it's the Browns... they seem to have a lot of chiefs in that front office and not enough Indians.

McCloughan has been extremely vocal that Mayfield is the best in the class, and who knows how much pull he has has just an advisor type...

That being said, I can understand why it would seem so peculiar, but to me more...

High ceiling who you will have to wait on 

Or

Immediate push to start and may not have as high a ceiling but plenty of potential.

Unfortunately this reminds about the Bills trying unsuccessfully to trade up for Roethlisberger.  Please don't let it happen again.

I'm praying that the reason the trade to #2 hasn't happened yet, is because Beane isn't ready; that he wants to be sure his guy (Darnold) is going to be there.  That Darnold is the only QB he would go to #2 for.

10 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I actually think Darnold is better now. And as a UCLA alum, I like Rosen and would be happy to have him.

How much better? Extra 1st and 2nd round picks better? Going to pick 2 is a lot more expensive than pick 5

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

And I'll be happy. Almost as happy as if it were Baker Mayfield.

No link, but he just said it on Good Morning Football on NFL Network. Lately I think he's been one of the more reliably dialed in guys out there. 

Take it for what it's worth, less than a week from making that pick.

I put Darnold just above Allen.  If he's there at 12, maybe the Bills take him, but if Roquan Smith was still there, I'd take Smith over him, and maybe use #22 on Jackson.  If Jackson's gone, I'd consider Rudolph in the 2nd.   

1 hour ago, kdiggz said:

interceptions and fumbles don't bother anybody?  how about the wonky throwing motion and poor footwork in the pocket?  not worth trading all of those extra picks over someone like Rosen.  would be a very poor decision based on where we are picking in this draft.  if we were picking #1 and we had our choice then fine you can talk yourself into him maybe but the extra picks make it not worth it value-wise.  Rosen is the best QB in the draft and he will be available at 5

These are all red flags for me.  I'd only trade up to take Mayfield or maybe Rosen (primarily because of his concussion history).

36 minutes ago, NewEra said:

But you have to look at every aspect of a player.  Being able to suit up on Sunday’s being  #1.  I don’t know that Rosen will be injury prone, but he’s not off to a good start.  Concussions, slighter frame and shoulder problems are part of his equation. McD has stated that he really likes a QB that can throw on the move outside of the pocket.  Darnold is much better in that respect than Rosen.

I agree, rosen is currently the best qB in this class and I’d be VERY happy if we landed him....but there are other factors other than just playing QB.  

Some of the most notable QB busts in recent years had no problem "being able to suit up on Sundays", but they sure had problems producing completions and TDs for their teams (not always so much for their opponents).   I'm thinking of guys like Mark Sanchez, Christian Ponder, Blaine Gabbert,  and even EJ Manuel.

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

Well, there are a few, but my point is USC is infamous for producing overhyped busts who stink as soon as they are removed from the Trojan bubble.  It’s happened often enough that I doubt it’s a coincidence.

The link among the recent USC QB's is the USC hype machine.  Darnold has been hyped since 2016 when his fans tried to paint him as the next Andrew Luck despite his shortcomings which include being turn over prone and having poor mechanics, which might be tolerable faults in a kid taken after the first round but not in a supposed "blue chip" first rounder.  Darnold hasn't been able to fix either of those faults since, so why would he be able to fix them in the pros?

FTR, since 2003, USC has produced 3 QBs who have been drafted in the first round: Carson Palmer #1 in 2003, Matt Leinart at #10 in 2006, and Mark Sanchez at #5 in 2009.  Prior to 2003, USC last produced a first round QB in 1991 when Todd Marinovich went #24th.  While Palmer has been successful, he probably hasn't had quite the kind of career that he was expected to have as the #1 pick.  Leinart and Sanchez were definitely overhyped busts.  

6 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

How much better? Extra 1st and 2nd round picks better? Going to pick 2 is a lot more expensive than pick 5

I feel that if you truly think that the qb is a likely franchise qb - a dozen+-year starter - the picks you give up to get him aren't all that important. I'm thinking 4-5 years down the road at this point, not about 2019. I believe Darnold is that guy.

3 minutes ago, SoTier said:

I put Darnold just above Allen.  If he's there at 12, maybe the Bills take him, but if Roquan Smith was still there, I'd take Smith over him, and maybe use #22 on Jackson.  If Jackson's gone, I'd consider Rudolph in the 2nd.   

These are all red flags for me.  I'd only trade up to take Mayfield or maybe Rosen (primarily because of his concussion history).

Some of the most notable QB busts in recent years had no problem "being able to suit up on Sundays", but they sure had problems producing completions and TDs for their teams (not always so much for their opponents).   I'm thinking of guys like Mark Sanchez, Christian Ponder, Blaine Gabbert,  and even EJ Manuel.

The link among the recent USC QB's is the USC hype machine.  Darnold has been hyped since 2016 when his fans tried to paint him as the next Andrew Luck despite his shortcomings which include being turn over prone and having poor mechanics, which might be tolerable faults in a kid taken after the first round but not in a supposed "blue chip" first rounder.  Darnold hasn't been able to fix either of those faults since, so why would he be able to fix them in the pros?

FTR, since 2003, USC has produced 3 QBs who have been drafted in the first round: Carson Palmer #1 in 2003, Matt Leinart at #10 in 2006, and Mark Sanchez at #5 in 2009.  Prior to 2003, USC last produced a first round QB in 1991 when Todd Marinovich went #24th.  While Palmer has been successful, he probably hasn't had quite the kind of career that he was expected to have as the #1 pick.  Leinart and Sanchez were definitely overhyped busts.  

I suggest you list all of the great UCLA qbs not named Troy Aikman. And all of the great Oklahoma QBs. I did research on this, and the only two schools that stand out since the 1970 merger are Stanford and to a lesser extent Cal. 

Edited by dave mcbride

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

I feel that if you truly think that the qb is a likely franchise qb - a dozen+-year starter - the picks you give up to get him aren't all that important. I'm thinking 4-5 years down the road at this point, not about 2019. I believe Darnold is that guy.

Here's my back of the envelope formula - a HOF caliber QB is realistically worth a 1st round pick for each year he plays.  Then you discount that cost with the probability that the draft pick will achieve that status.  In that sense, you can easily argue that Darnold could be worth 3 or 4 first rounders

• Like (+1) 1

I can't even let myself contemplate this possibility. It is too exciting.

I understand that Darnold is a little sloppy and not as developed in some areas as some of the other guys.

But he is the one guy who screams franchise to me. I actually think he is the safest pick, not just the one with the highest ceiling. When I watch him play, I just have confidence in him. He sees things that other QBs tend not to - little windows and angles. He finds a way to make plays at the right moments. He's got that confidence and that kind of idiot savant geometry that all the best QBs have. And pressure doesn't seem to bother him - on or off the field. Can't believe he is so young.

If the Bills somehow manage to get him, it will be the happiest I've been as a Bills fan since the USFL closed up shop and Jim Kelly came to town. Seems too good to be true, though. I don't see how the Browns/Giants/Jets let this guy get past them (or trade down instead of taking him). Guess we'll see.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, PastorMKC said:

Hue Jackson is NOT picking this QB that's why It's b/t Darnold/ Allen Dorsey Likes both and he is Picking ...

I imagine that Hue Jackson had his fill watching DeShone Kizer regularly throw completions to the other team last season.  Since I like the Brownies, I hope they leave Darnold and Allen to the Jests and take Rosen (and his concussions) while leaving Mayfield to the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

In the last week or so Darnold has become my #1 QB. I like Rosen and Mayfield a lot too but not as much as him. Darnold you are kind of drafting on potential. He does need to cut down on his turnovers but I think with experience he will. His throwing motion doesn't bother me at all. He is the best in this class at unloading the ball quickly when there's pressure in his face. I've used a comparison to Philip Rivers before, he has a similarly weird throwing motion but it works. Rosen is a better QB right now but I see Darnold ahead of him in a few years. He has all the character traits you look for in a QB too.

I would love to have Darnold. He would be my first preference. But the issue comes down to what would you give up to get him in comparison to Rosen or Mayfield? Although the Bills fortuitously made the playoffs last year in reality they are a rebuilding team that is at least another two or maybe three years away from being a serious team. Keeping as many valuable picks as possible is a necessity in accelerating the rebuilding process. If the Bills could get Rosen at the six spot and maybe just lose their first round picks then those picks that we have left will address other major needs. 

4 minutes ago, SoTier said:

I imagine that Hue Jackson had his fill watching DeShone Kizer regularly throw completions to the other team last season.  Since I like the Brownies, I hope they leave Darnold and Allen to the Jests and take Rosen (and his concussions) while leaving Mayfield to the Bills.

I would not mind Darnold/Allen/Rosen I just don't want Mayfield ...

5 minutes ago, PIZ said:

Here's another guy thinking Darnold to Bills.

Chad Reuter mock

Wow. Not that I want the Jets or Phins to be good. But it would be pretty cool seeing Mayfield, Darnold, and Rosen fighting it out in the AFC East for the next ten years, while the Pats fade into oblivion.

I know it's unlikely that all three will pan out anyway. But it would give us the most interesting division for a little while at least.

Edited by Last Guy on the Bench

Just now, Last Guy on the Bench said:

Wow. Not that I want the Jets of Phins to be good. But it would be pretty cool seeing Mayfield, Darnold, and Rosen fighting it out in the AFC East for the next ten years, while the Pats fade into oblivion.

I know it's unlikely that all three will pan out anyway. But it would give us the most interesting division for a little while at least.

I think all three teams see the chance to possibly end the trend of Pats dominance.

The AFC as a whole really could be there for the taking if some of us get our acts together and invest in quality QB play.

1 minute ago, Last Guy on the Bench said:

Wow. Not that I want the Jets of Phins to be good. But it would be pretty cool seeing Mayfield, Darnold, and Rosen fighting it out in the AFC East for the next ten years, while the Pats fade into oblivion.

With our luck, all three will suck and the Kyle Lauletta led Pats* will dominate the division for the next decade.

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1