Ian Rapoport - Bills not going after 2nd pick

14 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

What are the politics of the Jets?

For all intents and purposes, in print, there is the Daily News (liberal) and the Post (conservative).  It's 50/50.

You didn't add the New York Times into the newspaper mix. That changes the balance a tad. Don't you agree? 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BringBackFergy said:

Rosen can’t play in Buffalo. When’s the last time you saw a tennis player like the cold? 

This is humor, right?

There seem to be a steady stream of top tennis players from some Scandanavian country or other....hmmmm, hmmmm, hmmmm, Sweden!

I think it gets cold there.

4 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I'm guessing Jets and Browns

If that's the case wouldn't he have said top 4? Since he included six doesn't that mean the Colts are one of the teams? Seeing as they are not drafting a qb what he is saying is 1 team has Rosen off their board. Who cares?

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

You think Woody would be yanked as Ambassador if he drafted Rose?  That's nuts.  Would never happen.

You know what Woody Johnson loves more than Donald Trump?  Counting money he didn't work to earn.  Same for his brother and their old lady, who all one the team.  He'll take Rosen if he's there.

Agreed.  It's nuts.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I'm guessing Jets and Browns

Browns and Colts. Otherwise he would have said top 5. Colts, who cares. Browns, it was rumored he said he didn't want to play there and his college coach said he wouldn't be a fit there. It's no surprise he is not a consideration at 1. This is a complete non story

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Only if you also consider the Wall Street Journal.

The Wall Street Journal opinion page is definitely right wing conservative. However, their investigative reporting on the Trump administration has been hard hitting and has won awards for their scoops and stories about Trump and the administration. That is a major change from their usual/historical orientation toward reporting. 

Edited by JohnC

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

The Wall Street Journal opinion page is definitely right wing conservative. However, there investigative reporting on the Trump administration has been hard hitting and has won awards for their scoops and stories about Trump and the administration. That is a major change from their usual/historical orientation toward reporting. 

Very true, regarding WSJ.  Surprised Murdoch has let it happen.

7 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

Browns and Colts. Otherwise he would have said top 5. Colts, who cares. Browns, it was rumored he said he didn't want to play there and his college coach said he wouldn't be a fit there. It's no surprise he is not a consideration at 1. This is a complete non story

KDiggz, do you know why Mora said he wouldn't be a fit with the Browns?  Curious.

1 minute ago, stony said:

Very true, regarding WSJ.  Surprised Murdoch has let it happen.

The WSJ has been right up there vying with the Washington Post and New York Times digging into the exploits of this administration. They have won a string of Pulitzer awards for their recent stories. I never expected this turnaround. 

This would be the perfect spot for us given the following actually happen:

1.  The Browns or Jets take Allen - I want no part of this guy and I will be praying he is off the board by our pick

2.  The Giants don't take a QB

3.  None of the teams drafting in the top 4 spots trade their pick to anyone (unless it's us)

If these things happen, and we can find our way to 5, it would be a dream scenario.  Two of Darnold, Rosen, and Mayfield will be staring us right in the face and we will get one of the top 3 QBs in the draft at a fraction of the price.

The problem is that I can't actually see the Browns picking Allen.  I know there is a lot of smoke out there that he may be the first pick, but I really find that incredibly hard to believe.  I just don't see how you can watch that guy's tape, look at his stats, and then come out of that thinking this guy is a top 10 pick in this draft.  He is a project, at best, and will need at least 2 years to sit the bench and develop.  And then, even after all that, I still think he has probably an 80% chance to bust.  I would take him at 22, but there is no way I am trading up for that guy.  I just have that uncomfortable feeling that Allen is going to be the guy who falls and the Bills will find a way to justify taking him.  Really hope I'm wrong, though. 

From day 1, this draft has been about getting one of Darnold, Rosen, or Mayfield.........  It's time for Beane to finish the job.

Edited by sven233
  • Like (+1) 4

.....If nothing else, this just confirms that the Broncos are NOT in the QB market.  I've made this case for months here....they signed Keenum to starter money, they have PUBLICLY given their entire coaching staff THIS YEAR.  They aren't taking a QB high and then turning that kid over to a staff that won't want a damn thing to do with him.  They are tyring to keep the window open and drafting a QB this year does not fit with any of that.  .....If the Broncos were in on a QB, not only would this news not be out  there...they'd also be trying to get to 2.  They aren't.  

I continue to stick with my same analysis of this as I have had for the past couple months.

1.  Darnold.  I beleive he is the consensus no.1 QB and I think ultimately Cleveland takes him.  

2.  Rosen.  Giants recently had a press conference where Gettleman said it was horse mess to think the Giants had to take a QB.  I think they like Chubb quite a bit and it would benefit the Bills if the Giants went Non QB...but I just can't get past the math involved when you consider how hard it is to get a franchise QB, and how in this year, picking 2nd, you can get a guy who is conisdered a possible franchise QB, and have him ready to go when Eli bites the dust....Edge rushers aren't exactly falling from trees, but they are easier to come by than blue chip QB prospects.  

3.  Mayfield.  again...I have said it a hundred times...that coaching staff and FO need this pick to work.  Mayfield played a TON of reps...high completion pct...and he is cocky and a name...has NY written all over him.

4.  Browns stay put and take non QB of their choosing.  I don't presume to know who this would be...my guess would be Chubb.

5. Broncos are after the guard from Notre Dame...they would be compelled to move down if they can still pick him up...I say they keep the pick and take him here.

6. Colts will consider a move down but I think they stay in place and go with a defensive player.

7. Bucs.  Saquon Barkley.  This is really the first spot where Barkley could go to a team that really does need him.

8. Bears will draft defense here.

9.  Niners....I maintain this is the hot trade spot....

Remember, the farther along this goes, the cheaper it gets to trade up...New England, Chargers, Cardinals, will be on the phone here.  Bills move up to 9.

9. Bills Josh Allen.

10-14.  Cardinals, Chargers, Patriots...someone gets Rudolph here.

Late round 1.  Saints kick tires on Lamar Jackson

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

KDiggz, do you know why Mora said he wouldn't be a fit with the Browns?  Curious.

Personally I think he was doing him a favor. I think it came out wrong but his intention was to say that Rosen is a better fit in NY. Let's face it, Cleveland is historically where QB's go to die. If I was a QB I wouldn't want them picking me either. Rosen really wanted to go to the Giants. He was talking up the organization and coach Shurmur a lot in interviews. But unfortunately for him I don't think they are going QB. So now maybe he falls a little (lucky for us)

19 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

You think Woody would be yanked as Ambassador if he drafted Rose?  That's nuts.  Would never happen.

yeah, but if you asked me a year ago if a future president would have hookers engaging in golden showers in a former president's hotel room, i would say that's nuts too.

since woodsy and trump are boys, i don't think there's a chance in hell that they go with rosen. it's dumb, but the jets have a long history of being dumb. i can't wait to see what happens with that pick.

If I were the Bills, I would target #6.  The price would be a little bit lower.  I figure that if Denver is really inclined to draft one of the top QBs, they won't be trading the pick anyway.  The only risk is that Denver could trade with another team, but Buffalo has the most capital for a trade.  That means any other team is going to have to make a more difficult sacrifice to get ahead of Buffalo, and that probably means they are either more desperate for a QB or they are a bit foolhardy.  Beane might be more inclined to play it safe, however.

If Darnold, Rosen and Mayfield go 1-3, I fully expect us to trade to the next available pick.  Just because most of us don’t like Allen, doesn’t mean McBeane feel the same.  We have McCarron to play this year and even next if he needs that much time.  The talent is evident as is the lack of qb talent currently on the Bills.  Unless they really Jackson, Rudolph or someone else, we’re more than likely going to be aggressive.

3 hours ago, Ittakestime said:

Mayfield to Jets is a done deal

Personally think its Allen they want.

Darnold

Barkley

Mayfield

Chubb

Allen

Makes me sick to my stomach

If we pass on a trade to two, or 5, or draft the wrong guy, and Rosen somehow ends up in the AFCE being Tom Brady 2.0 then I quit.  I refuse to follow the bills while Rosen runs the division for 15 years!!!!

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DJB said:

Anyone with pick cost associated with going to 5? 

Pick # 5 is worth 1,700 points, Buffalo's pick at 12 is worth 1,200 pts. 22 is 780 pts ( 1,980 pts.) , so it would probably be Denver trades 1.5+3.5 (245 pts.) to the Bills for 1.12 and 1.22. Here's where i got the chart http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/draft/draft-trade-chart/

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea, I think the Bills are targeting Allen.... not sure how I feel about that. 

Honestly, if the choice is between Allen and Rosen I think the Bills would go Allen and the board would implode. 

Allen seems like the type of personality McBeane like as opposed to Rosen who doesn't seem process approved.

If Beane thinks that Allen is the best way to go...then I will support it. Will I be happy? Not really, but I will give everyone a shot until proven otherwise. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I wouldn't be happy either.

From what it sounds like the cream of the crop is the Mayfield, Darnold, and Mayfield. After that is a somewhat big step down. Bills need to secure one of those guys, IMO.

what about Mayfield? :lol:

I am with BillsEnthusiast, I will hope Beane is right, and I will support whoever is picked, but if he is wrong, he better hope the Jets didn't get it right or else a lot of people are going to be very angry.

• Like (+1) 2

If this leak actually came from the Bills organization, maybe it is Beane trying to put pressure on Gettleman to take his offer for 2. 

Or or maybe it's true. 

Or or maybe it's just a BS rumor... 

Cant wait for Thursday. I've never has draft fatigue like like I do this year. 

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

If Beane thinks that Allen is the best way to go...then I will support it. Will I be happy? Not really, but I will give everyone a shot until proven otherwise. 

In other words, until he throws his first pick :D

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Billsfansinceday1 said:

Jimmy and I hit thousands of balls together at the Buffalo Tennis Center.  He left for Florida by 12,  if I recall correctly. 

...where I hit thousands of balls with him at Bollettieri's! Small world. :D

Browns going either Darnold/Allen 1. Giants Barkley/Chubb bc Gettlemen is going to try to win now with Eli and Beckham, not later. Jets, still think they could go Darnold/Allen. Browns take whoever Giants don't between Barkley/Chubb.  5th could very well be Mayfield/Rosen left, which is the ideal scenario...

5 hours ago, GG said:

Jimmy Arias or Monica Seles?

5 hours ago, Augie said:

Well, they both live in Sarasota, FLORIDA now. :)  

3 hours ago, Billsfansinceday1 said:

Jimmy and I hit thousands of balls together at the Buffalo Tennis Center.  He left for Florida by 12,  if I recall correctly. 

I went to school with Jimmy thru most of middle school. He moved to Florida to train during our 8th grade year and my family and I moved to Virginia with a month to go in my 8th grade year. He was in several classes with me growing up.

4 hours ago, Mickey said:

Denver being "open to trade out of 5" means nothing. Only an idiot would say, a week before the draft, "no, I am not open to trading down, even if offered a King's ransom". 

Have not heard $nyder say it so not even an idiot would say it.

• Haha (+1) 1

It's all about Cleveland and the Giants.  If they take a QB then the Bills need to get to 5 and maybe to 4 to get one of the top 4.  

If Cleveland takes Darnold, I think Giants trade out or take Chubb/Barkely, and then the Bills can trade to any spot they want and get Mayfield/Rosen/Allen.  Hell they could sit at 12 and one of those guys could fall.

In this scenario, I let Denver pick and I try to get to 8 by giving up a second round pick to jump past Miami.  Hell if Denver passes on a QB they can just sit at 12 and not give up any picks.

8 hours ago, Ittakestime said:

Ian Rapoport was just on NFL Network and said the Bills are not targeting 2nd overall.  He says 5th is what they are going after.

Did he say he had a source, or was it an educated guess? Because it's as reasonable as anything else, but if they are going that way, it's likely because the Giants are asking an absolutely huge bounty.

Edited by Thurman#1

1 hour ago, first_and_ten said:

I'm all for moving up, but I would not include next year's number one pick. The Bills will most likely be bad this year and will pick high next year. It's too valuable a pick.

Yup, I agree that it might be a high pick next year.

But I'd include it in a second if it gets us a QB they're convince has a great shot at being a top 10 - 12 guy.

1 hour ago, Dadonkadonk said:

It's all about Cleveland and the Giants.  If they take a QB then the Bills need to get to 5 and maybe to 4 to get one of the top 4.  

If Cleveland takes Darnold, I think Giants trade out or take Chubb/Barkely, and then the Bills can trade to any spot they want and get Mayfield/Rosen/Allen.  Hell they could sit at 12 and one of those guys could fall.

In this scenario, I let Denver pick and I try to get to 8 by giving up a second round pick to jump past Miami.  Hell if Denver passes on a QB they can just sit at 12 and not give up any picks.

If the Giants pick Chubb or Barkley and we want any of the top three or four QBs, then yeah, five would still be great for us.

But if the Giants trade out, it will be with someone who wants to draft a QB. Possibly us, but if it's someone else, they'll almost certainly want a QB.

And you can't count on anyone falling to #12. Arizona could trade up. Even the Pats. Several teams might.

Edited by Thurman#1