What does Shady need to get on the Bills WOF?

Change up here before the draft.

I have stated elsewhere on TSW that I badly want Shady to stay a Bill for at least the last two years of his deal to hit the 12,000 yard mark, a milestone no Bill has ever hit.

I have grown to love this guy  as a back on this team and to me, and I believe to many of you, he IS a Buffalo Bill and even the face of the Buffalo Bills, therefore I really hope to have him stretch his achievements in the red, white and blue as much as possible.

When you start to look at his numbers as a Bill they really are impressive.  Even with the injuries in year 1 and missing the last game in year two he has 3,300 yards rushing and 1,096 yards receiving (141 receptions) for 27 TDs, with an average of 102 yards rushing and receiving in each of his 43 games.

Are they mind blowing?  No.  However, think of the Bills teams he's played on and how important he is to their offense and their overall success.  He is currently the Bills 8th all time leading rusher and with an average season of 1,150 yards he will be fourth.  If he can maintain his average from the last two years he will pass Freddy for 3rd all time on the Bills rushing list at the end of 2019.

I hope he can at least get to the end of his contract with the Bills with at least, 5,700 yards rushing, 250 receptions (1,800 yards receiving?) and maybe 50 TDs and (please) another playoff appearance with his first playoff victory.

I think he has shown a fondness for Western New York and I would like his time here to continue to be memorable.

What say you?

...Oh, and 8 days and counting.

EDIT:  BTW, given the numbers I've stated above I think he gets into not only the Bills WoF, but the NFL HoF as I believe that 12,000 yards rushing is the new sort of standard for entry into the Hall (and I know guys have gotten in with less, but I am just saying).

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Honestly, our wall of fame seems almost too easy to get on.  It should only be reserved for all time Bills greats.  Shady wouldn’t be here long enough for that consideration imo.

Biscuit, that is an honest opinion.  Seriously, thank you man.

3 minutes ago, JP's Voice said:

For me, it isn't as much of his statistics as it is his impact to the organization (i.e. not just production on the field). Shady is borderline HOFer if he plays another 3-5 years, but I would throw Freddy on the wall before Shady.

He'll probably cement his HOF status this season.  As for WOF, that's iffy.  He's only been with the team for 4 years.

4 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Honestly, our wall of fame seems almost too easy to get on.  It should only be reserved for all time Bills greats.  Shady wouldn’t be here long enough for that consideration imo.

Agreed. A lot of people want Fred Jackson but truthfully he isn't even in the Top 5 RB's the team has had at this point. I get he is loved community wise but doesn't his name up their discredit the accomplishments of guys like Thurman, Cookie, and yes OJ (football field accomplishments)? If Shady stays another 3 years and stays around his current pace shouldn't he be up there before Fred?

In general I know the drought provided very few high points and we like to romanticize the 90s teams to an unhealthy point because of it, but I would like to see a little higher standard for excellence. The only two players I really think from the last two decades that even deserve a chance to be up would by Kyle Williams and Eric Wood because they played at a pro bowl caliber level and both are in the talks to be top 3-4 ever for their position team wise. Additionally on good teams like the 1990s Bills those guys would've received far more media attention for their excellence. BUT if you said neither I wouldn't have an issue with the standard being higher either.

6 minutes ago, JP's Voice said:

For me, it isn't as much of his statistics as it is his impact to the organization (i.e. not just production on the field). Shady is borderline HOFer if he plays another 3-5 years, but I would throw Freddy on the wall before Shady.

But if you compare Fred to the rest of the players on the WOF his career fails in comparison even with the community aspect. I think he is romanticized because he represented the fans during the drought which is great, but the WOF is for playing excellence IMO not being a great guy.

Just now, corta765 said:

But if you compare Fred to the rest of the players on the WOF his career fails in comparison even with the community aspect. I think he is romanticized because he represented the fans during the drought which is great, but the WOF is for playing excellence IMO not being a great guy.

I agree.  Good player and great guy, but not a WOF'er.

Nothing....he shouldn't be. I think Shady has been absolutely the best Offensive player since he arrived. And despite a little bit of a rough start to his public persona in Buffalo, which is understandable considering he was blindsided by the trade, he's been a terrific community member as well. The whole "incident" aside, he's been a good dude for the team. But IMHO, the WOF players are reserved for guys like Bruce, Tasker, Jimbo, Thurman and the others, who played nearly their entire career in Buffalo and made significant contributions to the team and community for many years. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Additionally, to some of you do you feel Freddy should go up over Shady even if Shady passes him?

If Shady has two more 1000 yd years and is here for 3 years mixed with another playoff berth then Shady goes on the WOF. People I think understate how freakin good and important Shady was last year to killing the drought and had we beat JAX his performance while injured would've been legendary. Otherwise neither should be on.

• Like (+1) 1

Wow, neat stat I stumbled across going over historicals for this thread.

The Bills are 2nd in NFL history with the most seasons leading the League in rushing (7).  Chicago leads with 16, but they have been around almost twice as long.

Like mentioned above, Shady would have had to been here longer than just the later part of his career.  Great RB, no doubt.  But, IMO, I'd think of him more as an Eagle than Bill once he retires.

24 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Well said, C. Biscuit and spot on!! Shady is a great player and will end up having a great Bills career but he doesn’t belong on there. There are multiple guys up there that don’t belong. 

38 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Agreed. Shady will  go into the HOF as an Eagle not a Bill. As long as a player's identity is with another team then they shouldn't be on our wall of fame. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ProcessAccepted said:

Agreed. Shady will  go into the HOF as an Eagle not a Bill. As long as a player's identity is with another team then they shouldn't be on our wall of fame. 

Players go into the Hall based on their entire career and not under the banner of any particular team. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

I was going to go with "a ladder" but I think this sums it up better.

I don't see it as a pure statistical achievement. He needs to be defined as a great Bill not just a great player who played for the Bills.  As Augie said, leading us to a SB would go a long way. As others have said, it's going to be tough because he lacks longevity as a Bill.

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

That's right

2 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

About five more seasons

I'll tell ya, I'd take even a simple 1,100 yard annual rushing average from this guy if he were to stick around until the end of 2022.

He would be third all time in NFL history, ahead of Barry Sanders and behind Walter Payton.  8,800 rushing and likely more than 10 or 11 thousand all purposes yards as a Bill.

...maybe occurring in 2022 around the same date as when we are putting Eric Wood on the Bills Wall of Fame.

2 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Change up here before the draft.

I have stated elsewhere on TSW that I badly want Shady to stay a Bill for at least the last two years of his deal to hit the 12,000 yard mark, a milestone no Bill has ever hit.

I have grown to love this guy  as a back on this team and to me, and I believe to many of you, he IS a Buffalo Bill and even the face of the Buffalo Bills, therefore I really hope to have him stretch his achievements in the red, white and blue as much as possible.

When you start to look at his numbers as a Bill they really are impressive.  Even with the injuries in year 1 and missing the last game in year two he has 3,300 yards rushing and 1,096 yards receiving (141 receptions) for 27 TDs, with an average of 102 yards rushing and receiving in each of his 43 games.

Are they mind blowing?  No.  However, think of the Bills teams he's played on and how important he is to their offense and their overall success.  He is currently the Bills 8th all time leading rusher and with an average season of 1,150 yards he will be fourth.  If he can maintain his average from the last two years he will pass Freddy for 3rd all time on the Bills rushing list at the end of 2019.

I hope he can at least get to the end of his contract with the Bills with at least, 5,700 yards rushing, 250 receptions (1,800 yards receiving?) and maybe 50 TDs and (please) another playoff appearance with his first playoff victory.

I think he has shown a fondness for Western New York and I would like his time here to continue to be memorable.

What say you?

...Oh, and 8 days and counting.

EDIT:  BTW, given the numbers I've stated above I think he gets into not on the Bills WoF, but the NFL HoF as I believe that 12,000 yards rushing is the new sort of standard for entry into the Hall (and I know guys have gotten in with less, but I am just saying).

Thurman has over 12k

• Thank you (+1) 1