Richie Incognito Retires Via Twitter - Now Confirmed

Virgil

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

There certainly is a sliding scale. At the same time look at the contracts of the Pro Bowl guards (he’s been to like 3 in a row) and see how many of them are in line with his (especially true after Martin signs his massive extension). 

Agreed, and his previous negotiations with the Bills were pretty contentious - he admitted to taking a discount or whatever. I always thought he was underpaid but that’s not the Bills fault. His agents failed him if his market was higher then and/or now.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

This does make sense.  What also makes sense is the Bills were prepared for Incognito to reject the take it or leave it offer, so I don't think they are suddenly thrown for a loop and radically changing their plans.  No doubt they already had contingency plans if a mid-thirties guard decided enough already.

I don’t disagree but they lost the game of chicken. 

2 minutes ago, Tyrod's friend said:

Really? No snark here, but ...

They benched John Miller last year. Not some other organization, this one. You think they were essentially planning to take a guy that they benched and use him to replace a Pro Bowl guard (let's leave aside the potential disaster at center)? 

There is no part of me that believes an organization would have that in their plans. You seem like a pretty sane poster and if you think for a minute, I believe you'd see this isn't possible.

No, Miller plays in the right side. It’s Ducasse who he would be competing with.

Again, the problem is that on the outside we decide what is enough. In your opinion he should be happy with $4M. That isn’t what Pro Bow guards get paid. The market is all that matters. He feels slighted (and should). At the same time the Bills did what they thought was best for them. They played Russian Roulette though and lost. Their Pro Bowl OG retired 2 weeks before the draft. They missed a chance to address it in FA. I’d bet in hindsight they wouldn’t have gone with the pay cut. 

Could've been 2 weeks after the draft..?

5 minutes ago, BillsMafia13 said:

Good, I dont think you have much else.  Ill take a great teammate and talent for some bonkers tweets and vulgar trash talking, guys are beating their girlfriends and taking crazy drugs but you hate a player because he is too much of a jock.  

Too much of a jock....lol.

I guess we see what we want to see.... 

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Again, the problem is that on the outside we decide what is enough. In your opinion he should be happy with $4M. That isn’t what Pro Bow guards get paid. The market is all that matters. He feels slighted (and should). At the same time the Bills did what they thought was best for them. They played Russian Roulette though and lost. Their Pro Bowl OG retired 2 weeks before the draft. They missed a chance to address it in FA. I’d bet in hindsight they wouldn’t have gone with the pay cut. 

Not following you here Kirby. Why do you think they played Russian Roulette? 

23 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

I hope you love it, because you're about to see it.

I love your strategy even more than mine. Pass on moving up for a QB because a Guard who was 35 decided to retired. Let me ask you this, if RIchie retires right after the season... does that change your draft plans too? But yes, lets stay put and draft keep our picks. We can trade up some other time.

The best guy on this website thinks that Sam Darnold is a mid-1st round pick; that there are numerous, good QBs in this draft. Tell you what, you get back to me when people think your assessment of QBs is better than Gunnar's. 

Did I say don't draft a QB? Nope. I said it changes your choices. The circumstances changed and you change your valuation of options after the fact. The thought that you wouldn't is absurd to me. Absolutely absurd and as much as I'd like to put it differently, I can't.

First he says he signs his new contract and says how excited he is to play another year for the Bills.

Then he fires his agent.

Then he tweets that he's done.

Then he deletes that tweet.

Then he tells Vic he really is done.

Then he tells another reporter that he's in talks with the Bills about his retirement.

When the wheel stops spinning,  let me know.  I'm not convinced Richie's retirement is the final word.  

1 minute ago, hondo in seattle said:

First he says he signs his new contract and says how excited he is to play another year for the Bills.

Then he fires his agent.

Then he tells another reporter that he's in talks with the Bills about his retirement.

When the wheel stops spinning,  let me know.  I'm not convinced Richie's retirement is the final word.  

He comes off very unhinged. There is probably more to the story 

7 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

Too much of a jock....lol.

I guess we see what we want to see.... 

Haha ok genius, please elaborate the huge gap between "meathead prick" and jock.  You just seem a little sensitive, hes been nothing but great here in buffalo, save a few wild tweets.  I got nothing else, I hope his health is taken care of and the bills kill the draft.

Edited by BillsMafia13

Just now, dneveu said:

I mean - lets not forget cordy glenn was paid like a pro bowler and missed a ton of time the last 2 years.  Was his ankle just better now?  I doubt it.

That’s a quote from Brady Quinn. He’s probably never seen a Bills game. 

2 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Not following you here Kirby. Why do you think they played Russian Roulette? 

They basically wanted him to take a pay cut and play. The end results were:

- he declines pay cut and they keep him

- he declines pay cut and they cut him

- he accepts pay cut and plays

- he accepts pay cut and then retires unexpectedly 

Richie walking away at this point isn’t the ideal situation for the front office. At least it is before the draft but now he is altering their plans. They lost control in the situation. This isn’t the outcome that they hoped for. 

Richie walking away at this point isn’t the ideal situation for the front office. At least it is before the draft but now he is altering their plans. They lost control in the situation. This isn’t the outcome that they hoped for. 

I don't think option D should be included, why would anyone think that an option. In terms of the other 3, i don't see that as Russian Roulette, I see it as the business in the NFL. Thought the Bills were smart to get a pay cut from Richie, he seemed happy about it, till he wasnt. Its bizarre

There's a certain irony in this, in that we expect players to see contracts out, yet when teams mess with them, providing it's our team, we get all bent out of shape about it. This stuff really should work both ways, especially when you are talking about an odd million here or there.

Like anything else in life, there are price points. These are likely to be very different for different people, but at a certain stage of a guys career, he can quite possibly put a price on what he is prepared to play for, or not. Training camps etc. when you are a veteran, are seemingly largely something to be endured, rather than embraced, and how hard the games are, and the recovery from them, is another aspect.

Over the years, I've heard a few veterans say that they can still play, and would still play, but it's not worth it for the sort of money on offer - i.e. cheap.

While this is little more than speculation, I wouldn't be overly surprised if the salary reduction was a straw that broke the camel's back when it came to thinking about retirement.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Mayhaps he got ahold of some of Zay's stuff...

Something going on. I think the only curveball for the Bills on the OL was Eric Wood’s injury. They were obviously ready to move on from both Richie and Glenn. 

1 minute ago, dneveu said:

huh?

The quote that you responded to - it’s from Brady Quinn on Sirius radio

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Something going on. I think the only curveball for the Bills on the OL was Eric Wood’s injury. They were obviously ready to move on from both Richie and Glenn. 

The quote that you responded to - it’s from Brady Quinn on Sirius radio

ah yea - i get it now.  yeah.  Cog was the big loss here talent wise.  Wood was a locker room guy, but I don't think he was ever a truly elite center.  And it sounds like Glenn was more of a locker room issue than locker room leader.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

They are preparing a tank of epic proportions, and will be doubling up on all 6 of their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd rounders by trading them away for picks in 2019. Then in 2019, we are going to trade our 4 1sts, 4 2nds, 4 3rds to move up to #1, because we still ended up 8-8. :lol:

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

True enough. I would question their man management abilities, tbh, as I'm not sure they have any.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ittakestime said:

For an organization that bent over backwards for a headcase, he sure screwed them in the end.

Screwing them would be retiring in July

13 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Then he fires his agent.

"I'm done. That's it," Incognito told Bills.com's Vic Carucci. "My liver and kidneys are shutting down. The stress is killing me. It's just about doing what's right." Earlier Tuesday, Incognito reportedly told Peter King he was "strongly considering" retirement while discussing his deal with the Bills -- he took a pay cut last month -- but now he is officially calling it quits

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

No, Miller plays in the right side. It’s Ducasse who he would be competing with.

Yeah, that's not really changing the basis of the question though is it? 

I've taken a step back to think about your earlier post because it was worthy response.

I just can't see that an organization would have planned to replace the best offensive lineman in the same off season when they had already lost Eric Wood and replaced that center with a guy that has been to this point at best a bad center. That's just a willful destruction of a team. Groy is not a Pro Bowl guard and they might have seen him as an eventual replacement that isn't something you are thinking is what you want on March 31st. 

Cheers.