Did Mills sabotage Peterman's start due to his anger over TT benching?

I ran into an acquaintance last week at a local place here in Las Vegas ( I know, Vegas, right?).  He is from Clarence, and says he has two close friends whom both work within the Bills organization.  When the topic of Nathan Peterman came up vs. the Chargers, he rolled his eyes and laughed.  Told me that some in the building firmly believe that Jordan Mills was so PI$$ED about Taylor's benching that he purposely became a turnstile vs. the Chargers to sabotage Peterman's start.

Now,  first of all I'm skeptical when someone says they have "friends" that work at One Bills Drive (I don't know their names).  Secondly,  I never heard of any claims of players having it in for Peterman over Taylor's benching nor feel that any professional would put another athletes health at risk over a benching.  So I went to the video myself to see if I could notice anything out of the ordinary from Mills' side.

Now, keep in mind that Joey Bosa and Melvin Ingram are two great athletes.  But if you closely watch Mills vs both of them, this guy's friends may be onto something.

I pulled this video from Youtube which shows all 5 picks. (it will make you go to YouTube.com website to watch the video).   Here is what I saw.

:45 - Peterman threads a beautiful pass to Benjamin.  If you notice Mills, he Ole's Melvin Ingram.  Not only does he barely move, he just stands there after Ingram whiffs by him.  Luckily on this play, Peterman completed the ball prior to Ingram getting to him.  Horrible look, horrible effort by Mills.

2:04 - This was the screen pass to DeMarco.  (Slow the video to .25 speed) Mills pulls inside once the Ball is snapped.  Now keep in mind he is running opposite of where the ball is going.  It looks as if he purposely avoids hitting Bosa (ducking to his left) to double team Ducasse's guy (who neither hit and the defender doesn't end up even being involved in the play) .  Bosa fires up the line and hits DeMarco, throwing off his route.  He then closes in on Peterman who has to rush the throw, which is tipped by DeMarco who is probably short of where he was supposed to be due to rubbing Bosa and it's intercepted and taken the other way.  Now some will say "throw it away", or blame DeMarco.  But Bosa's disruption based on Mills inability to just get in his way led to this.  Another bad look.

3:59 - Ingram beats Mills on the outside and Mills hips end up facing the back of the end zone.  Ingram is able to stick up his hand in Peterman's face, which makes him take a step back and right into Bosa coming in from behind.  Now, a smarter QB would have stepped up, and on this play it just looks as if Mills got beat cleanly.  But then again, who knows.

7:27 - On this play, Mills HAS to see that there is Bosa and a blitzer lined up outside of him.  When the ball is snapped, he barely moves and once again ole's Bosa.  While the RB takes on the blitzer, Bosa comes in and crushes Peterman.  Now, some will say a veteran QB should just take the sack on that one and not throw the ball.  But it doesn't take away the fact that Mills looked so badly beaten it makes you wonder how much of it was skill, and how much of it was anger over Taylor's benching?

8:17 - This was a quick three step drop and throw.  For some reason Mills takes a step to the outside, knowing he needs to protect the inside gap to ensure Peterman has a clear line of sight.  Mills basically gives Bosa an inside lane directly into this QB.  This throws off the throw (it's a 3 step drop for God's sake) and ends up being an INT.  Looking at this closely, Mills sets up so wide and then looks so badly beaten inside on such a simple blocking assignment it's f'n crazy.

9:39 -   Peterman's final INT comes from Dawkins' side.  It looks like Bosa makes a move inside and Dawkin's gets hurt (He favor's his shoulder as he comes off the field).  But you'll notice this is the only INT that comes from pressure directly in the face of Peterman that doesn't come from Mills side..

Now, these are the only plays I have video of.  Who knows how many more plays he may have whiffed at.  After watching this video, one could say Mills just had a really bad day.  But some can also say that, on some of those plays,  it looks like Mills was barely making an effort (if any), which makes you wonder.....was he really trying to send a message to the coaching staff for benching Taylor?

As for Peterman, he took a lot of heat for a performance that wasn't all his fault.  Not only does he get a bad wrap from Bills fans, but from around the league in general.  If Mills wanted to sabotage his start and make McDermott look stupid, he succeeded.    It also earned TT the start the following week.

Mission accomplished

Edited by dezertbill
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 6

Mills should quit football and start a career as a welcome doormat. Get him off my team. Mills master plan didn't work out so well because now Tyrod is on the worst team in football and will be benched for another rookie. 

Anyway if what you say is true then the organization seems to be aware of it and Mills will be gone soon enough.

Edited by Lfod
  • Haha (+1) 1

I have long held this belief that Mills while not a great player had much more to give that day but I think if that is what truly happened Mills would have been cut the next day.   If that's what happened that would show the character of Mills allowing for Peterman to get hurt.  I hate that the media jumped all over Peterman and McDermott when it was obvious his protection was flat out garbage, Peterman couldn't even take a 5 step drop before someone is in the backfield in his face.  However at that point Peterman should have taken sacks and not just lofted them up.

• Like (+1) 2

Was there not video/audio circulated of Bosa on the sideline?  Like a "Mic'd Up" feature or whatever?

He was laughing on the sideline talking to a teammate, and he said something like "He didn't even try to block me."

I saw this here, at TBD.  I'm sure others remember this too.

• Like (+1) 11
  • Thank you (+1) 3

I doubt he'd risk losing his 1.95 million dollars he'd lose getting cut this off-season because he was mad about Taylor.  I just think he's a below average tackle who had a bad game. 

Having said that, get Deranged Rhino out of PPP for a full investigation.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I would think it this was the cases, the Bills brass would have found out and then cut Mills.  There's no way you'd keep paying a guy who showed that level of professionalism. 

Edited by KRT88
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Was there not video/audio circulated of Bosa on the sideline?  Like a "Mic'd Up" feature or whatever?

He was laughing on the sideline talking to a teammate, and he said something like "He didn't even try to block me."

Yes I remember that, I remember posting in the thread about how he should be ashamed of himself with the lack of effort. He was downright awful.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Fadingpain said:

I do remember seeing this.  And to be honest, I don't know what to make of it.

Mills DEFINITELY played like a turnstile that day.  In my heart of hearts I just don't believe that a professional football player would feel SO strongly about his teammates benching, that he would PURPOSEFULLY sabotage a fellow teammate, to the points of 1)endangering Peterman's life.  Nate took some vicious blows in that game and is damn lucky he didn't get seriously injured. 2)hurting your TEAM overall.  We were still in the hunt at the time, and letting personal feelings affect you to the point of helping the team LOSE is unforgivable. 

And it is those reasons I say Mills just flat out sucked that game.  If he did in fact purposely allow Bosa and Ingram free, unimpeded, unabated shots at Peterman, risking the rookie qb's life, and assisting us in getting an "L", he not only needs to be kicked off the team, he should be BANNED from ever playing in the NFL again.  

Mills is crap on a stick, but I want to believe he is a professional, and that he is able to put personal feelings aside, and put the team, and it's success first.  

With all that said, I really really hope we draft a RT early to get his ass out of here.  I know interior OL is more of a priority, but I really can't stomach another season of him at RT. (And Ducasse at RG.)

2 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

i wouldn't doubt the op and i do remember this going around. i never wanted mills to start the season. if he is on this team this year it will amazingly be what.....5 or better years since this team has done anything with that position? other than henderson, i can't even remember who our last rt was?  pears?   ....and is juan still here? does dabol have authority over line coaches?.....guess that's another subject.

• Like (+1) 1

Or it's just that this line was so awful that teams never blitzed us and still got right to the qb. Luckily we had a guy who could mask these deficiencies with his mobility. You saw what happened when you had a pocket qb in there. 

I'll say it until the cows come home..you people don't know how good we had it with Tyrod. He did all that could be asked for and more with this porous line, awful coaching and JV receiver group. 

Next year is not going to be pretty. Be prepared. 

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I doubt he'd risk losing his 1.95 million dollars he'd lose getting cut this off-season because he was mad about Taylor.  I just think he's a below average tackle who had a bad game. 

Having said that, get Deranged Rhino out of PPP for a full investigation.

Or maybe we could get PearlHoward to explain how Peterman was a plant to help Tyrod keep the starting job

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Billzgobowlin said:

I have long held this belief that Mills while not a great player had much more to give that day but I think if that is what truly happened Mills would have been cut the next day.   If that's what happened that would show the character of Mills allowing for Peterman to get hurt.  I hate that the media jumped all over Peterman and McDermott when it was obvious his protection was flat out garbage, Peterman couldn't even take a 5 step drop before someone is in the backfield in his face.  However at that point Peterman should have taken sacks and not just lofted them up.

Yeah, if this is true, the coaches knew it back then, and would have acted appropriately. 

I do agree that Peterman wasn't completely at fault that day. A couple of those picks were horrible, but a couple I didn't blame him for. But regardless of whether or not benching Taylor was warranted, and the circumstances around giving Peterman a shot, McDermott and the coaches on offense deserve the heat they got for A: deciding to start a rookie QB against arguably the best pass rush in the league, and B. deciding to force Peterman to be Joe Montana in his first game instead of running the ball 75% of the time and allowing Peterman to get settled and utilize play action. That was a rookie coach mistake.

Edited by Drunken Pygmy Goat
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Take the sack and don't throw it up for grabs is my thought. I'm not gonna blame the line as much as I blame the QB and OC. The OC should take most of the heat for allowing that rookie QB to even throw as much as he did, seriously! That lone TD in the first half was all McCoy. I know it was only 14 attempts and 10 too many. 

Both the RT & RG positions have been a liability on this team for years and years. I think they drafted Dawkins to fix that issue as the OG should play better with a better OT next to him and vice versa. I think Incognito's play elevated Glenn's play too. Glenn getting a season-long injury made him a liability at his pay grade. 

Mills should be gone this year...hopefully...the team upgrades that right side both RT, RG for whatever QB is starting

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, dezertbill said:

I ran into an acquaintance last week at a local place here in Las Vegas ( I know, Vegas, right?).  He is from Clarence, and says he has two close friends whom both work within the Bills organization.  When the topic of Nathan Peterman came up vs. the Chargers, he rolled his eyes and laughed.  Told me that some in the building firmly believe that Jordan Mills was so PI$$ED about Taylor's benching that he purposely became a turnstile vs. the Chargers to sabotage Peterman's start.

Now,  first of all I'm skeptical when someone says they have "friends" that work at One Bills Drive (I don't know their names).  Secondly,  I never heard of any claims of players having it in for Peterman over Taylor's benching nor feel that any professional would put another athletes health at risk over a benching.  So I went to the video myself to see if I could notice anything out of the ordinary from Mills' side.

Now, keep in mind that Joey Bosa and Melvin Ingram are two great athletes.  But if you closely watch Mills vs both of them, this guy's friends may be onto something.

I pulled this video from Youtube which shows all 5 picks. (it will make you go to YouTube.com website to watch the video).   Here is what I saw.

:45 - Peterman threads a beautiful pass to Benjamin.  If you notice Mills, he Ole's Melvin Ingram.  Not only does he barely move, he just stands there after Ingram whiffs by him.  Luckily on this play, Peterman completed the ball prior to Ingram getting to him.  Horrible look, horrible effort by Mills.

2:04 - This was the screen pass to DeMarco.  (Slow the video to .25 speed) Mills pulls inside once the Ball is snapped.  Now keep in mind he is running opposite of where the ball is going.  It looks as if he purposely avoids hitting Bosa (ducking to his left) to double team Ducasse's guy (who neither hit and the defender doesn't end up even being involved in the play) .  Bosa fires up the line and hits DeMarco, throwing off his route.  He then closes in on Peterman who has to rush the throw, which is tipped by DeMarco who is probably short of where he was supposed to be due to rubbing Bosa and it's intercepted and taken the other way.  Now some will say "throw it away", or blame DeMarco.  But Bosa's disruption based on Mills inability to just get in his way led to this.  Another bad look.

3:59 - Ingram beats Mills on the outside and Mills hips end up facing the back of the end zone.  Ingram is able to stick up his hand in Peterman's face, which makes him take a step back and right into Bosa coming in from behind.  Now, a smarter QB would have stepped up, and on this play it just looks as if Mills got beat cleanly.  But then again, who knows.

7:27 - On this play, Mills HAS to see that there is Bosa and a blitzer lined up outside of him.  When the ball is snapped, he barely moves and once again ole's Bosa.  While the RB takes on the blitzer, Bosa comes in and crushes Peterman.  Now, some will say a veteran QB should just take the sack on that one and not throw the ball.  But it doesn't take away the fact that Mills looked so badly beaten it makes you wonder how much of it was skill, and how much of it was anger over Taylor's benching?

8:17 - This was a quick three step drop and throw.  For some reason Mills takes a step to the outside, knowing he needs to protect the inside gap to ensure Peterman has a clear line of sight.  Mills basically gives Bosa an inside lane directly into this QB.  This throws off the throw (it's a 3 step drop for God's sake) and ends up being an INT.  Looking at this closely, Mills sets up so wide and then looks so badly beaten inside on such a simple blocking assignment it's f'n crazy.

9:39 -   Peterman's final INT comes from Dawkins' side.  It looks like Bosa makes a move inside and Dawkin's gets hurt (He favor's his shoulder as he comes off the field).  But you'll notice this is the only INT that comes from pressure directly in the face of Peterman that doesn't come from Mills side..

Now, these are the only plays I have video of.  Who knows how many more plays he may have whiffed at.  After watching this video, one could say Mills just had a really bad day.  But some can also say that, on some of those plays,  it looks like Mills was barely making an effort (if any), which makes you wonder.....was he really trying to send a message to the coaching staff for benching Taylor?

As for Peterman, he took a lot of heat for a performance that wasn't all his fault.  Not only does he get a bad wrap from Bills fans, but from around the league in general.  If Mills wanted to sabotage his start and make McDermott look stupid, he succeeded.    It also earned TT the start the following week.

Mission accomplished

Very long post.   Just poor play on his part 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

1) it was the dumbest decision in the entire nfl season to bench Taylor st that point and I’m not a Taylor fan.  Lucky for McD, Andy Dalton saved him from being second guessed the entire offseason.

2) Mills kinda sucked anyways.  

3) This alleged stuff happens more than you think. But Peterman was solely responsible for one of the worst starts in nfl history.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 2

20 minutes ago, QB Bills said:

Or it's just that this line was so awful that teams never blitzed us and still got right to the qb. Luckily we had a guy who could mask these deficiencies with his mobility. You saw what happened when you had a pocket qb in there. 

I'll say it until the cows come home..you people don't know how good we had it with Tyrod. He did all that could be asked for and more with this porous line, awful coaching and JV receiver group. 

Next year is not going to be pretty. Be prepared. 

First of all, TT takes a decent amount of sacks despite his mobility. Second, no QB 'pocket qb' or not was going to succeed in that Chargers game. The blocking was nonexistent.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Take the sack and don't throw it up for grabs is my thought. I'm not gonna blame the line as much as I blame the QB and OC. The OC should take most of the heat for allowing that rookie QB to even throw as much as he did, seriously! That lone TD in the first half was all McCoy. I know it was only 14 attempts and 10 too many. 

Both the RT & RG positions have been a liability on this team for years and years. I think they drafted Dawkins to fix that issue as the OG should play better with a better OT next to him and vice versa. I think Incognito's play elevated Glenn's play too. Glenn getting a season-long injury made him a liability at his pay grade. 

Mills should be gone this year...hopefully...the team upgrades that right side both RT, RG for whatever QB is starting

Agree.  I fully expect McDermott to address RG and RT via the draft.  Although I have to admit I thought Miller was a solid young player heading into the season last year. I STILL don't get McDermott's decision to start Ducasse over him.  His infatuation with Ducasse at times last year was as troubling as his man-love for Tolbert.  Everyone and their mama was fed up seeing Tolbert get the rock like he was the featured HB.  

We cannot finish the season next year with Mills as our starting RT, and to even think this story has a shred of truth, coupled with him being a terrible RT is enough to say sayonara Mr. Mills.

Edited by smuvtalker
  • Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, dezertbill said:

Mission accomplished

Right after the game Bosa had said publicly "It was like he wasn't even trying to block me" 

Joey Bosa Mic'd up: "He didn't block me.. he literally didn't block me"

http://www.totalprosports.com/2017/11/21/micd-up-joey-bosa-bills-literally-didnt-block-me-video/

Just ask Chargers DE Joey Bosa. He was in Nathan Peterson’s face on every single one of his five interceptions, and he was also mic’d up. After one of Peterson’s interceptions, Bosa told somebody on the Chargers sideline, “He didn’t block me. He didn’t block me. Yeah, he literally didn’t block me.”

Five interceptions is pretty terrible. But so is letting a defensive end run straight at your quarterback on every snap.

Hell, if I was a conspiracy theorist—and I’m not—I might even wonder if the o-line let Bosa run wild on purpose because they were mad Tyrod Taylor got benched.

4 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

see above

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Peterman sabotaged Peterman's start because he melted under pressure and isn't an NFL caliber QB.  Next!

expected no different from the NateHater  

57 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

1) it was the dumbest decision in the entire nfl season to bench Taylor st that point and I’m not a Taylor fan.  Lucky for McD, Andy Dalton saved him from being second guessed the entire offseason.

2) Mills kinda sucked anyways.  

3) This alleged stuff happens more than you think. But Peterman was solely responsible for one of the worst starts in nfl history.

Was it really? 

In hindsight it did light a fire under TT as he played better in the next 3 games, but the fire burned out soon after.

I am not making excuses,  I just provided data to support the OP 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 4

Mills got beat consistently because he isn’t good and was up against a great pass rush. There is no ridiculous conspiracy theory and will people please, please, please stop making excuses for Peterman being historically bad?!? Can we just call that decision what it was, “a mistake,” and move on? 

Pass rushers ran free all year. We talk about how long Tyrod holds the ball. I suspect in about 8 months we will begin remembering how many guys he made miss that came clean. The OL was not good last year and doesn’t appear any better on paper. They actually might be worse. That wasn’t a conspiracy though. That was a bad tackle getting beat and a bad QB making terrible plays. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Mills got beat consistently because he isn’t good and was up against a great pass rush. There is no ridiculous conspiracy theory and will people please, please, please stop making excuses for Peterman being historically bad?!? Can we just call that decision what it was, “a mistake,” and move on? 

Pass rushers ran free all year. We talk about how long Tyrod holds the ball. I suspect in about 8 months we will begin remembering how many guys he made miss that came clean. The OL was not good last year and doesn’t appear any better on paper. They actually might be worse. That wasn’t a conspiracy though. That was a bad tackle getting beat and a bad QB making terrible plays. 

Your brutally honest assessment is killing the excuse train for unfortuNATE. You are mean sir. 

• Haha (+1) 2

I would tend to doubt it....what he shows on film is how he gets paid.  Maybe he got emotional and did not really think things through....you never know.   

He did not make the bad decisions for Peterman, those were on him...and dont start with 3 of them were not his fault at all...they were all his fault except maybe the first one.

• Sad 2

45 minutes ago, jr1 said:

Mills is always horrible. Playing a rookie QB against 2 of the best pass rushers in the NFL was stupid

Everyone talks about having a franchise LT and yet the opposing defense can move their best rushers over the weakest link, which was Mills. Things might have gone differently had Glenn not been hurt most of the season.

BTW, benching Tyrod might have been the best thing for him as he worked extra hard to keep that starting job after that.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I removed a link to the last part of one of the posted paragraphs that pointed to Taylor got benched because of his skin.   Now THAT is a conspiracy theory.  

Nate sucked.   But can we please please please please stop all the Nate hate.   He is a member of the Buffalo Bills. 

4 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Everyone talks about having a franchise LT and yet the opposing defense can move their best rushers over the weakest link, which was Mills. Things might have gone differently had Glenn not been hurt most of the season.

BTW, benching Tyrod might have been the best thing for him as he worked extra hard to keep that starting job after that.

that's what I said ...  :thumbsup:

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I removed a lint to the last part of one of the posted paragraphs that pointed to Taylor got benched because of his skin.   Now THAT is a conspiracy theory  

That’s not why he got benched, that’s why a lot of Bills fans don’t like him. Those aren’t interchangeable.

He got benched because Dennison thought his garbage offense would improve. He pushed for the move and McDermott went along. It lasted a half, failed in epic fashion and Dennison was fired. There are no conspiracies needed to cover for that scrub. He got a chance and sucked worse than any player ever has in the 1st half that he ever played!!

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 3