Bills very interested in rudolph

1 minute ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

If Mason Rudolph gets drafted in the first round I will shove a parking cone up my ass and waddle through the rv lot singing the theme song to Growing Pains

Get ready to put that on Youtube. Don't forget some Vaseline. 

4 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Personally I still think Jackson at worst case is sitting there at 12.  I'm becoming increasingly convinced a move up to the ~6-7 range won't cost THAT much and gets us one of Allen or Mayfield.  I think that's the most likely scenario.  I really want Rosen, but I wouldn't be heartbroken over giving up 1 2nd to make sure we get Allen or Mayfield and I could talk myself into Jackson at 12.

Mason Rudolph simply isn't a round 1 talent and would be JP Losman all over again.

Not sure that I would not prefer Rudolph over Allen or Jackson.  I think Rudolph has a good chance to be a good starter, but won’t likely single handed LT carry a team. Allen and Jackson have a tiny shot at being great, but to me have a high risk of not even becoming a decent NFL starter.

8 minutes ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

In general

I could see him going to Jags, Steelers, Saints or Pats at the end of round one. He's got a low floor as a very good backup at worse. I can see 6 QB going in round one because of backup needs and aging starters.

Edited by CuddyDark

10 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Not sure that I would not prefer Rudolph over Allen or Jackson.  I think Rudolph has a good chance to be a good starter, but won’t likely single handed LT carry a team. Allen and Jackson have a tiny shot at being great, but to me have a high risk of not even becoming a decent NFL starter.

Rudolph also has a high risk of not even becoming a decent NFL starter.  I'd rather swing on potential greatness than best case mediocrity.  

8 minutes ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

If Mason Rudolph gets drafted in the first round I will shove a parking cone up my ass and waddle through the rv lot singing the theme song to Growing Pains

By the Bills or any team? Because, if you can see guys like Ponder, Weeden, Manuel, etc... go in the first, all of which are not as good of prospects as Rudolph. So that's a bold claim.

2 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

By the Bills or any team? Because, if you can see guys like Ponder, Weeden, Manuel, etc... go in the first, all of which are not as good of prospects as Rudolph. So that's a bold claim.

There will be 6 QBs drafted in the first round. And I would say that is very arguable that those guys were better prospects coming out of college..

40 minutes ago, JohnC said:

What happens if Mayfield or Allen slips? I know you are not a proponent of Allen but he falls within the GM's preferred profile.

I don't think Allen will slip. I'm really starting to think the Jets will take him. They told McCown he will start. They signed Bridgewater as a fall back. It makes a ton of sense that they would draft someone like Allen when they can afford to sit him for a year. I am curious how Beane feels about him. My best guess is that he would draft him if he was available at our original pick but wouldn't trade up for him.

Mayfield I could see slipping because GMs are obsessed with physical measurables. If he falls out of the top 5 I would love to see us go get him.

25 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Agreed, I think Rudolph is a strong possibility for the Bills.  No trade up would allow them to get Rudolph, LB, WR, And still have 2 picks in 3rd (including the first one).

Alternative looks to be Rosen/Mayfield/Allen and maybe have a 3rd round pick left (maybe also losing a 1st or 2nd next year, too)

Every year there is talk that qb needy teams are going to jockey for position out of desperation to get their prized qb. More often than not teams act more soberly and stick with their board and their player rankings. That's the usual scenario where the qbs slide down. I can see a Mayfield or even an Allen falling to us or pretty close to us where a reasonable deal can be made. 

Would it be wise for Buffalo to stay pat and use their first selection on Rudolph at the twelve spot? I struggle with this issue although my inclination is to stop messing around and risk losing a qb by waiting. Few people would argue that Rudolph would be a better value with our lower first, But is it worth the risk for a team like the Steelers to jump ahead of you and snatch him?

As the draft approaches I have been less cavalier about trading picks to move up. However, if there is a qb that this team has a conviction on then it needs to act. The calculation is going to come down to is it better to secure your less costly second or third qb option than deplete your account for your first option qb. More and more I'm moving to the less costly option.

This draft is made for chess players and not for checker players. It's not so much about the one move that that you are at as it is about the next three moves that haven't been made yet.  

1 hour ago, jr1 said:

I don't believe any of this **** anymore

Did you use a "bad" word or are you referring to the OP?

57 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Bills football  "Sure, we got the 7th best QB in the draft, but we got this linebacker.  Also here's a cornerback and a running back and a receiver who is already hurt."  May as well hang it outside of New Era.

I want :lol: and :cry: at the same time now...

18 minutes ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

At best, that would be the 4th or 5th most interesting thing happening in the RV lot on any given Sunday. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

I could see him going to Jags, Steelers, Saints or Pats at the end of round one. He's got a low floor as a very good backup at worse. I can see 7 QB going in round one because of backup needs and aging starters.

I could see the Steelers in the 2nd in a trade down scenario. They have 5 draft picks. They are not spending their first round pick on Mason Rudolph.

I could see the Saints if he is there in the third. They don't have a second rounder. They have 27 then 91. They aren't using their first on Rudolph. 

Patriots aren't taking him in the first. They will take the BPA who slides down the board, or they will rip off whatever idiot team wants to trade back up into the first for Rudolph. I could see them using one of their 2 second rounders. However, Luke Falk seems like he is the kind of guy they would want to develop. 

Jaguars make a ton of sense. I could see it at 29, but itś a huge reach. Doug Marrone knew EJ Manuel was huge reach, and I don't think that happens again. This is not his or Coughlinś style. They do have a stacked roster though, so they have the luxury. I think they take him if he is there round 2. 

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

I don't think Allen will slip. I'm really starting to think the Jets will take him. They told McCown he will start. They signed Bridgewater as a fall back. It makes a ton of sense that they would draft someone like Allen when they can afford to sit him for a year. I am curious how Beane feels about him. My best guess is that he would draft him if he was available at our original pick but wouldn't trade up for him.

Mayfield I could see slipping because GMs are obsessed with physical measurables. If he falls out of the top 5 I would love to see us go get him.

I agree with you that the Jets have coveting eyes on him. He's also a player I think Beane would be inclined to because he fits his profile for the position. My worry is that Mayfield is not the type of player he would want to be his qb mostly because of his stature. I would be ecstatic if the Bills could select him without at their current draft position. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

That has been rumored for quite some time. However, I don’t think he’s #1 on their board. Otherwise they would not have already traded up to 12. 

Maybe they traded up to get their #1 LB? Maybe they feel confident they can land Jackson or Rudolph @ 22?

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

I think everyone is reading too much into the trade up. We were going to trade Glenn this offseason no matter what. We got a good deal and took it. It opened the door for a trade up into the top 5 but it didn't necessitate it.

I agree, they have been trying to unload Glenn for awhile now.

We made it into the playoffs last year with a 1st year HC. I think McCarron is a upgrade to Taylor and the talent we could add with all those picks should easily give us a good chance to make another playoff push.

You think Rudolph goes that high?

I don't know that I would be surprised if he did. The market dictates most years a half round higher than rated. This year it seems like a full round. If he won't be there at 21 you have no choice

It’s possible but not sure why they would need to fake interest in any other QB in order to get a LB at 12. 

Taking it with a grain of salt, to be fair, Beane did say they wanted to get into top 10, 12 because of a particular player that is "not necessarily a quarterback"....probably all smokescreen and disinformation, but it's a least possible Beane is telling the truth. Only time will tell. 

If there's anything at all about Rudolph actually coming out of OBD it's either a smokescreen in hopes to lower the desperation factor in trade talks, or it's to reset fan expectation on picks not being available.

I really have a hard time believing they've evaluated all the QBs and decided Rudolph is anywhere near the top 3.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I agree, they have been trying to unload Glenn for awhile now.

We made it into the playoffs last year with a 1st year HC. I think McCarron is a upgrade to Taylor and the talent we could add with all those picks should easily give us a good chance to make another playoff push.

Agreed.  Don’t panic.  Let the draft come to you.  Take a QB somewhere, but don’t give away the farm to move up.  There’s a good chance Mayfield, Allen, Jackson and/or Rudolph will be available where we are picking, and not necessarily with our first pick.  Great chance to add starters at LB, DL and maybe WR, along with O-line and RB depth, in this draft.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

If there's anything at all about Rudolph actually coming out of OBD it's either a smokescreen in hopes to lower the desperation factor in trade talks, or it's to reset fan expectation on picks not being available.

I really have a hard time believing they've evaluated all the QBs and decided Rudolph is anywhere near the top 3.

Why?  I have.  Personally, I'd way rather have him than Mayfield.

Fact is, no one should be surprised where each QB could be picked.  There's a ton of analysis, but in the end, most selections come down to gut instinct.  

Even harder is predicting the career for each one.  Chances are, every fan will find their QB analysis didn't meet or exceeded expectations.  

9 minutes ago, Lofton80 said:

I could see it with the second of the #1 picks. He is getting pushed down due to the lack of success spread qb's have had in the NFL.  

Sorry to tell you that he also getting pushed down because of his weak arm, lack of athleticism, poor footwork, and no experience under center as well as tiny hands. If anything, he is being pushed up.  

Around this time every year some crap prospect gets talked about as a guy who could sneak into the first round/early second. Not sure if it is teams trying to push better prospects down the board by getting others to reach on a quarterback. Heard it with Connor Cook, Ryan Nassib, Tyler Bray, Bryce Petty, Cardale Jones...even with Nate Peterman last year. This year that guy is Rudolph. 

14 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I really have a hard time believing they've evaluated all the QBs

This, and ...

14 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

decided Rudolph is anywhere near the top 3.

And whether the juice is worth the squeeze to get to the top 3. 

There's a world of difference between saying Rosen > Rudolph, and comparing Rosen's excess value over Rudolph minus the cost of moving up to Rudolph, right? They've no doubt calculated a range of outcomes and a likelihood of the outcomes and the cost of acquisitions.

Multi-billion dollar corporations don't operate on "gut" or what they'd like. 

But I have to believe they are only a very short time from having those values decided.