Bills very interested in rudolph

5 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Sorry to tell you that he also getting pushed down because of his weak arm, lack of athleticism, poor footwork, and no experience under center as well as tiny hands. If anything, he is being pushed up.  

Around this time every year some crap prospect gets talked about as a guy who could sneak into the first round/early second. Not sure if it is teams trying to push better prospects down the board by getting others to reach on a quarterback. Heard it with Connor Cook, Ryan Nassib, Tyler Bray, Bryce Petty, Cardale Jones...even with Nate Peterman last year. This year that guy is Rudolph. 

Clearly never watched the guy play.  

• Like (+1) 1

I'll say this: if you start anywhere from a position that a 6'5" guy built like a brick shithouse, who has among his best traits being able to throw the ball long ...

has a weak arm? ...

check your premises. I'm sure Mason Rudolph has a big enough arm to play in the NFL, and beyond that who knows.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Sorry to tell you that he also getting pushed down because of his weak arm, lack of athleticism, poor footwork, and no experience under center as well as tiny hands. If anything, he is being pushed up.  

Around this time every year some crap prospect gets talked about as a guy who could sneak into the first round/early second. Not sure if it is teams trying to push better prospects down the board by getting others to reach on a quarterback. Heard it with Connor Cook, Ryan Nassib, Tyler Bray, Bryce Petty, Cardale Jones...even with Nate Peterman last year. This year that guy is Rudolph. 

Not to mention that outside of probably Baker, he had more to work with than any other QB in this class.  He spent his entire career with 2 WRs who'll likely be off the board by the end of day 2 this year.  It simply doesn't compare to what Allen had or even Rosen.  The talent around Rudolph made him better, not the other way around.  That can work, but we are certainly not in a position to make it work here.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

If Mason Rudolph gets drafted in the first round I will shove a parking cone up my ass and waddle through the rv lot singing the theme song to Growing Pains

Could replace the table smashing at tailgate parties.

• Haha (+1) 2

I am definitely willing to eat crow. I have before. I just hope all of the Rudolph lovers come back and admit they were wrong when his career goes the way of Bryce Petty and Landry Jones and see how ridiculously illogical they sounded here.

If I am wrong, I will gladly admit my mistake. Somehow I feel the Rudolph lovers will not be willing to admit their mistake. 

• Like (+1) 2

51 minutes ago, wppete said:

We will probably not end up drafting a QB in he send or third round. 

Pete, are you OK?  Looks like you've been reading too many Josh's Allen posts.  Just kidding bud.

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

That has been rumored for quite some time. However, I don’t think he’s #1 on their board. Otherwise they would not have already traded up to 12. 

12 gets them pretty close to where Roquan Smith is expected to go and he would be a cornerstone of McD's defense.

1 minute ago, RochesterRob said:

12 gets them pretty close to where Roquan Smith is expected to go and he would be a cornerstone of McD's defense.

I would guess then that they would want to trade up from 22 to get a QB (Rudolph or Jackson), or do you think they would they stay put?

Is 12 or 22 too high for Rudolph? That depends on what the Bills think about him as a potential franchise qb. I think they like Rudolph (Darnold is almost certainly who they have at top of their board) if they can’t get their first or second choice. 

If you believe he is a franchise qb, value goes out the window because teams go crazy with quarterbacks and it just takes 1 team to jump in front to steal him away. 

Gabbert, Tannehill, Ponder, Manuel, Locker are just some of the recent quarterbacks taken in the first round. Are their college resumes any better that Rudolph’s? I don’t think so. There are so many teams looking for quarterbacks that it is a risky game trying to wait until the value is right. 

In addition to the obvious teams, others like BAL, CIN, WAS, LAR, NO, NE and PIT may pull the trigger on a qb if they like them enough. WAS and  PIT have both been rumored to be very interested in Rudolph. 

In sum, you can get cute and mess around with trying to maximize value at other positions but quarterback is not one of them because you will likely get burned. I fully expect to see 6 quarterbacks be taken in the first round this year. 

Edited by racketmaster

6 minutes ago, PIZ said:

I would guess then that they would want to trade up from 22 to get a QB (Rudolph or Jackson), or do you think they would they stay put?

If they really covet Rudolph or Jackson then they would probably move up from 22 to get either.  

1 minute ago, racketmaster said:

Gabbert, Tannehill, Ponder, Manuel, Locker are just some of the recent quarterbacks taken in the first round. Are their college resumes any better that Rudolph’s? I don’t think so. There are so many teams looking for quarterbacks that it is a risky game trying to wait until the value is right. 

Those guys were all major reaches except maybe Gabbert. He didn't make it but had top ten upside. 

Just like Manuel, et al, reaching on Rudolph is a terrible idea. These are not good examples for reaching on a non first round quarterback. You sacrifice too much talent for an inferior talent at quarterback. It would be a colossal mistake. 

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I would not be surprised if we end up with Roquon Smith and Mason Rudolph. McDermott gets the QB for his defense and his offense. Rudolph wouldn't be ready to start right away so we would have to live with McCarron for a while.

This ?

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

It’s possible but not sure why they would need to fake interest in any other QB in order to get a LB at 12. 

Excatly- no one would ever expect that. It’s brilliant! 

3 hours ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

If Mason Rudolph gets drafted in the first round I will shove a parking cone up my ass and waddle through the rv lot singing the theme song to Growing Pains

You know it fits, how exactly? 

18 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Those guys were all major reaches except maybe Gabbert. He didn't make it but had top ten upside. 

Just like Manuel, et al, reaching on Rudolph is a terrible idea. These are not good examples for reaching on a non first round quarterback. You sacrifice too much talent for an inferior talent at quarterback. It would be a colossal mistake. 

Point was not about whether they were a success or not. Yes, they were reaches and most did not work out. The point is more about teams being desperate and overdrafting quarterbacks. That’s what happens just about every year and we could add Manziel, Weeden and Tebow to the list. 

Even most quarterbacks like Trubisky who are taken at the top are also a reach. He was not the consensus #2 overall prospect just like Mahomes was not the consensus #10 prospect last year. But they are quarterbacks and get overdrafted most every year. 

Just saying that If you believe he is a franchise quarterback then a team must be prepared to take him earlier than his ranking or be prepared not to have that player. 

The laws of supply and demand apply here. Every year is a little different. This year there are an unusual amount of teams looking for a franchise qb or looking to get one to take over for an aging veteran. There are also a higher number of qbs with franchise level qualities. The top 6 will be drafted high and then maybe 1 or 2 more go in second or third. The value might only come with 9th or 10th rated qb prospects who might last until the 5th or 6th because qb needy teams already got one. 

Edited by racketmaster

1 hour ago, mannc said:

Agreed.  Don’t panic.  Let the draft come to you.  Take a QB somewhere, but don’t give away the farm to move up.  There’s a good chance Mayfield, Allen, Jackson and/or Rudolph will be available where we are picking, and not necessarily with our first pick.  Great chance to add starters at LB, DL and maybe WR, along with O-line and RB depth, in this draft.

I do agree with this approach. I’ve actually seen some mock drafts where Mayfield falls to us at 12. Awesome if it happens but it seems quite improbable. 

I wish there was an emoji of an exploding head. That’s how I’m starting to feel with all this quarterback/draft tension. I keep telling myself I’m not even going to check in on it today. Yeah, right! 

I’ll add that what the Jets did moving up 3 slots and giving up 3 2nd rounders in return demonstrates how desperate teams are when it comes to the qb position. No team gives up that much unless it is qb. And the jets are only guaranteed one of the top 3 qbs. But if they hit then it was a small price to pay. 

What’s is the better option? Taking a qb at 12 that has a 20% chance of success. 

Or giving up the 2 first round picks plus 2 second round picks and maybe a third or another second next year to take a qb at #2 who has a 40-50% chance?

Im not sure but the Bills will have to trust their instincts and scouting ability  on this one. 

21 minutes ago, racketmaster said:

Point was not about whether they were a success or not. Yes, they were reaches and most did not work out. The point is more about teams being desperate and overdrafting quarterbacks. That’s what happens just about every year and we could add Manziel, Weeden and Tebow to the list. 

Even most quarterbacks like Trubisky who are taken at the top are also a reach. He was not the consensus #2 overall prospect just like Mahomes was not the consensus #10 prospect last year. But they are quarterbacks and get overdrafted most every year. 

Just saying that If you believe he is a franchise quarterback then a team must be prepared to take him earlier than his ranking or be prepared not to have that player. 

The laws of supply and demand apply here. Every year is a little different. This year there are an unusual amount of teams looking for a franchise qb or looking to get one to take over for an aging veteran. There are also a higher number of qbs with franchise level qualities. The top 6 will be drafted high and then maybe 1 or 2 more go in second or third. The value might only come with 9th or 10th rated qb prospects who might last until the 5th or 6th because qb needy teams already got one. 

Fair enough. I think the top five Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Mayfield, Jackson all go in the first. Then I think people gobble up all of the positional talent in this draft and there is a long wait for White, Rudolph, Falk etc. I think the 6th guy goes in the third. I think if this team reaches on Rudolph, this franchise will be set back another 4-5 years. I pray they do not succumb to the pressure and reach on a quarterback again. Itś EJ Manuel and JP Losman all over again. 

Also Darnold going #1 when he is the 7th best prospect in the draft and Rudolph going 12 when he is a third rounder, maybe 65th best prospect overall are completely different types of reaches. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown

13 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Fair enough. I think the top five Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Mayfield, Jackson all go in the first. Then I think people gobble up all of the positional talent in this draft and there is a long wait for White, Rudolph, Falk etc. I think the 6th guy goes in the third. I think if this team reaches on Rudolph, this franchise will be set back another 4-5 years. I pray they do not succumb to the pressure and reach on a quarterback again. Itś EJ Manuel and JP Losman all over again. 

It’s certainly possible draft plays out that way. Personally, I have Rudolph as my 5th best option behind Allen. But it would not surprise me if he ended up having the 2nd best NFL career amongst the prospects (i have them all rated fairly close because they each have some strong assets and some deficiencies in their game or attributes). 

But it only matters what the Bills think about Rudolph and the other prospects. Is Darnold the top and Rudolph very close to their rankings on Rosen and Mayfield? If so, just take Rudolph at 12. If Bills really have Darnold and Rosen on another level then maybe it is worth it to trade up. Long story short, I personally think Bills like Rudolph as an option behind Darnold and Rosen. He lacks in arm velocity but checks almost every other box. They have scouted him as much as any of the top qbs aside from Darnold so I would not be surprised at all if he is taken at 12 or 22. Whether it would work out is another story. 

Edited by racketmaster

4 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Smith will probably cost an extra 3rd to jump the Raiders but I would be all for that. Part of me wonders if getting him has been the plan all along, and the supposed connections to the top 3 QBs has been a smokescreen.

Bang on. Im thinking if a QB they love falls to 12 they bite, but the D has some holes, and more to come after Kyle. Their thought could be to go with AJM this year and their franchise QB will be acquired in FA in 2019.

4 hours ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

I gotta tell ya that you will look so silly with that cone up your ass singing that song when you realize that the Pittsburgh Steelers love this kid and will select him in the first IF he is still there. No way this kid makes it into the second round.

Rudolph met with the Steelers brass at the combine and his pro day. With Big Ben talking about retirement the Steelers are already looking for a replacement.  If Buffalo doesn't get one of the top four guys they should take him with the 22nd pick.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000921592/article/steelers-keep-close-eye-on-qb-mason-rudolph-at-pro-day

• Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

I gotta tell ya that you will look so silly with that cone up your ass singing that song when you realize that the Pittsburgh Steelers love this kid and will select him in the first IF he is still there. No way this kid makes it into the second round.

Rudolph met with the Steelers brass at the combine and his pro day. With Big Ben talking about retirement the Steelers are already looking for a replacement.  If Buffalo doesn't get one of the top four guys they should take him with the 22nd pick.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000921592/article/steelers-keep-close-eye-on-qb-mason-rudolph-at-pro-day

Pure speculation. There’s also this:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/Bolt/Dont-expect-any-changes-at-QB-for-the-Pittsburgh-Steelers-in-2018--115042978/Amp

1 hour ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

That article was dated Feb 24th before the combine.

When almost the entire teams coaching staff and FO brass show up at a prospects pro day I think you can safely say there is smoke there. The kid is too good to last until the second round as his grade isn't that far away from the top 5 QB's. Darnold 7.0, Rosen 6.1. Mayfield and Allen 6.0, Jackson 5.9 and Rudolph 5.6. 

The Steelers are not using their first round pick on this guy. They may like him. They aren't taking him that high. They only have 5 draft picks. They don't have the luxury to draft another Landry Jones in the first.

He's probably between 70-75th best prospect and people want him at 12. 

12 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

The Steelers are not using their first round pick on this guy. They may like him. They aren't taking him that high. They only have 5 draft picks. They don't have the luxury to draft another Landry Jones in the first.

He's probably between 70-75th best prospect and people want him at 12. 

I think you are right. They need to replace Shazier.

• Like (+1) 1

Look I know of another Rudolph that wasn't thought highly of. He was made fun of and never taken seriously as some one who was good enough to make the team. 

They wouldn't let him play in any reign deer games. Then one foggy Christmas Eve......

I hope they draft this guy for the sole purpose of me comparing him to a fictional reign deer. I never get tired of posting that story.

Edited by Lfod
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Bills football  "Sure, we got the 7th best QB in the draft, but we got this linebacker.  Also here's a cornerback and a running back and a receiver who is already hurt."  May as well hang it outside of New Era.

7th best on who's board.

9 hours ago, PIZ said:

If they traded up a few to get Roquon Smith and gave up a 3rd round pick, could they (would they) then try to move from 22 to assure themselves a QB like Lamar Jackson or Mason Rudolph (if they have him rated higher than others)?  What would it take to go from 22 to say 17 or 18?

I think they would.  If they decided they liked 2 ILBs and traded down from 12 I would fear for there lives and this board would be a rough place to be for a while.  That could get them ammo to move up from 22 without giving up anything.  But I do believe there is at least one QB they would trade up for from 12.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

Because he might be the only starter-capable QB left at 12, although with a low ceiling. I'd almost just take Mike White in the 3rd if he's the only one left. Build up the roster with all those day 1 and day 2 picks, then get our QB next year after we tank.

The only way the Bills are interested in Rudolph is due to necessity and the Jets ruining their plans.

Rudolph (or anyone outside of the big 3...yes, I'm not counting Josh Allen) was always going to be around, and the Bills were building & preparing since last draft to pick their guy THIS draft.

They were obviously planning on Rosen, Darnold or Mayfield, and then with the offseason moves they've made, positioned themselves to move up & grab them. 

The Jets ruined that, so NOW they're interested in Rudolph or Jackson.

Just now, BigDingus said:

The only way the Bills are interested in Rudolph is due to necessity and the Jets ruining their plans.

Rudolph (or anyone outside of the big 3...yes, I'm not counting Josh Allen) was always going to be around, and the Bills were building & preparing since last draft to pick their guy THIS draft.

They were obviously planning on Rosen, Darnold or Mayfield, and then with the offseason moves they've made, positioned themselves to move up & grab them. 

The Jets ruined that, so NOW they're interested in Rudolph or Jackson.

Yep. They like him. They don’t love him, though. But, might need to settle and hope for the best. 

I'm,not a scout, so this is simply an observation and it may have to do with his mechanics during his delivery but I found the angles where he was throwing at the camera interesting. The ball looked very weird coming out when throwing straight on. Maybe because it's totally straight up and down overland, but then watching from the side it looked the same way and once I noticed it I couldn't unnotice it. Also, the ball looked like a balloon in his hands. Prob means nothing, just found it different.