Rumor: Trade up discussion with Giants

20 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Colts don't want a QB, that's why they traded down.

Knowing the Colts wouldn't be interested in QB, why didn't the Bills get more aggressive with the Colts?

My only guess is that Beane knows that Gettleman is also willing to trade down, and by trading with Colts you still run the chance of a team jumping into the Giants' spot.

Bills have the best ammo to move into #2 if Giants want to move the pick

14 minutes ago, GG said:

My only guess is that Beane knows that Gettleman is also willing to trade down, and by trading with Colts you still run the chance of a team jumping into the Giants' spot.

Bills have the best ammo to move into #2 if Giants want to move the pick

Bills have the second best ammo.

Denver could still flop #5, 2 more 1sts, a 2nd that's not much lower than #22, other picks if they really wanted to.

11 minutes ago, Tatonka68 said:

I think the Bills might wait to see who the Browns pick at #1. I believe that Josh Allen is their target and any deal with the Giants is dependent on if Cleveland takes Josh Allen. 

I firmly believe if the Giants are trading the pick they are going to move well before the draft.

Edited by Chuck Wagon

5 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Why? Because Beane wants to analyze the QB's first before giving away draft stock. Refreshing to see a GM take a methodical approach for once. Just because the Jets sold the farm to move up a few spots doesn't mean we have to.

He may have been honest with the amount of time he spent with those guys, but he certainly has a handle on who the better QBs are through scouting at the least.

Yes,it’s certainly refreshing. Pegula seems to have picked a methodical,smart team in Beane and McDermot.

• Like (+1) 1

I believe the Giants badly want to move out of the second pick, and I doubt there is any other team able or willing to offer anything close to what the Bills could offer.  The Bills hold all the cards here.

I think the reported offer is too steep and that we should be able to get a mid round pick or two back from the Giants in that scenario.

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 1

As Yolo says, ‘take it for what it’s worth’.. I’ve changed my mind about not trading away all these costly acquired Draft picks. We surrendered Watkins, Darby, Dareus & Glenn for this booty. It’s just crazy that we made the playoffs without them -and now pick so low in the Draft. Go get who you want, Mc/Beane! Include next years 1st , if necessary. With $92M (currently) in Cap Space for ‘19, that will buy us proven 1st Round/immediate starter material, which is safer than a college pick. 

Trust the Process.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

As Yolo says, ‘take it for what it’s worth’.. I’ve changed my mind about not trading away all these costly acquired Draft picks. We surrendered Watkins, Darby, Dareus & Glenn for this booty. It’s just crazy that we made the playoffs without them -and now pick so low in the Draft. Go get who you want, Mc/Beane! Include next years 1st , if necessary. With $92M (currently) in Cap Space for ‘19, that will buy us proven 1st Round/immediate starter material, which is safer than a college pick. 

Trust the Process.

Welcome to the dark side.  We've planned a year for this, now is not the time to get cold feet.  Get the QB and everything else falls in line.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Trust the Process.

We were in cap hell. Needed to unload big salaries for oft injured or underforming players.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Take this as you will

I'd do both 1st Rounders this year, #65, and next year's first. If that isn't enough then so be it. We will have a ton of $$$ to maneuver next year in FA so giving up our 1st in 2019 doesn't seem as bad. If we hit on a QB and things keep moving the way they are then we won't have any problem attracting FA's. 

4 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Welcome to the dark side.  We've planned a year for this, now is not the time to get cold feet.  Get the QB and everything else falls in line.

They have to. What I think some need to reconcile and come to terms with is their expectations for 2018. They may take a step back and not be good and not be a playoff team this year. To me, at least, that is ok. I want to build the team for the long term. The previous regimes were forever building for the short term. If it means a bad season this year with the rookie, but you are able to actually be a perennial contender after that as you continue to build around your QB - that should be the goal. Not 9-7 squeezing into a WC with a limited, bridge type QB every so often but no long term plan for consistent success like the teams who compete in the playoffs year in and year out. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

They have to. What I think some need to reconcile and come to terms with is their expectations for 2018. They may take a step back and not be good and not be a playoff team this year. To me, at least, that is ok. I want to build the team for the long term. The previous regimes were forever building for the short term. If it means a bad season this year with the rookie, but you are able to actually be a perennial contender after that as you continue to build around your QB - that should be the goal. Not 9-7 squeezing into a WC with a limited, bridge type QB every so often but no long term plan. 

I think they have have to take a QB this year.  They do not have to expend all those picks to take one though. 

It all depends on what Beane and the front office think about each of these guys.  If they think one of them is a can't miss type I fully expect them to move to 1 or 2.  If they think there's little difference between the top six, or that a guy like Jackson is better than Darnold, they either will make a small move up or no move.

We all have opinions on what they should do, who the best guy is, and so on.  None of it matters.  What Beane thinks is what matters.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Bills have the second best ammo.

Denver could still flop #5, 2 more 1sts, a 2nd that's not much lower than #22, other picks if they really wanted to.

I firmly believe if the Giants are trading the pick they are going to move well before the draft.

Im talking about rational compensation.   Any team can pull a Ditka and offer every draft pick.  Bills are the only team with 2 1st round selections in '18, and are in the best position to deal. 

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I think they have have to take a QB this year.  They do not have to expend all those picks to take one though. 

It all depends on what Beane and the front office think about each of these guys.  If they think one of them is a can't miss type I fully expect them to move to 1 or 2.  If they think there's little difference between the top six, or that a guy like Jackson is better than Darnold, they either will make a small move up or no move.

We all have opinions on what they should do, who the best guy is, and so on.  None of it matters.  What Beane thinks is what matters.

Of course. If they give up that amount of capital to move to 2, it’s obvious they have one graded significantly higher than the rest,  and refuse to settle. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, McBean said:

ICB has been right more than he has wrong.

With that being said, I’m not buying it. The Giants are taking a QB.

They may be taking a QB, but they may choose to take him somewhere other than 2 depending on their board.

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

If they give up that amount of capital to move to 2, it’s obvious they have one graded significantly higher than the rest,  and refuse to settle. 

Absolutely.  When he said he hasn't made a decision about whether to move yet, I think he's being honest.  They are going to get all the data they possibly can before making this kind of decision.  Interviews I think will be crucial.

1 hour ago, ALF said:

I posted in another tread

To move up to #2  might  offer #12  ,  #22  ,   2019  #1   and a player if necessary. Maybe 2019 , 2nd rd also

The Bills need the remainder of 2018 picks  for needed players now. 

With all the cap space in 2019 from dead cap leaving , will have plenty of cap space for free agency to cover loss of 2019 #1.

Giants will have big time offers after Jets moved to #3. This could be the most important draft ever.

Good points, seem the only position you can't fill in FA is qb, if you have the cap space it would be pretty easy to fill the rest of the roster.

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

Absolutely.  When he said he hasn't made a decision about whether to move yet, I think he's being honest.  They are going to get all the data they possibly can before making this kind of decision.  Interviews I think will be crucial.

What I believe: that Beane doesn’t feel he has spent enough time yet with the QBs

What i don’t believe: that he doesn’t know yet whether he needs to move up based on his QBs rankings as of today

13 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I guess this will rip the bandaid off on the McBean regime and it will either work or we have a new GM and coach in 2020.

heads or tails please? 

I'd much rather they take a swing then be yet another regime that settles in hopes of finding a diamond in the rough.

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

What I believe: that Beane doesn’t feel he has spent enough time yet with the QBs

What i don’t believe: that he doesn’t know yet whether he needs to move up based on his QBs rankings as of today

So, do you think it's possible that Beane and Gettleman are discussing a framework for a deal and, once Beane has gone through pre-draft visits and pro-days, then they'll look to get a firm commitment to trade up to #2?

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

There are going to be a lot of teams with lots of cap room in 2019. The top FA still has to want to play in the snow and weather conditions in Buffalo. If The Bean trades up in this draft with the Giants then he likes two QB's in this draft. So much draft capital to part with, it must suck to know if you choose wrong you killed and set the franchise back at least 3 years.

If they do get it wrong It's going to set the team back a few years for sure AND possibly be a regime killer if they get it wrong ...and with the very next pick, the NY Jets get it right!

Kinda like bonehead Jauron and his Aaron Maybin pick as a pass rusher and the Redskins two picks later ran to the podium to select Orakpo. 

I'm one of the guys who doesn't see a QB as a top-five pick in the year's draft. Sam Darnold, pick #6 with his loopy throw from his waist like David Garrard will give DBs that split second of expectation of where the pass is going. All those fumbles the last two years are just what Buffalo needs in their version of Mr. Buttfumble, Mark Sanchez. Might be comparable to Andrew Luck but not with that throwing motion or problem with fumbles. 

Josh Rosen, Pick #7 durability issues with a kid who can't escape the pocket so when he does get hit it results in an injury, concussion. aka, Sam Bradford. Poor career deep ball percentage because he lacks the arm strength to zip the ball in. When forced to run with the ball his completion percentage drops down to 42.4%. Tough to like, tough to coach and better in a WCO short passing offense. 

Should the Buffalo Bills trade up to that #2 spot with the NY Giants I hope they select RB Saquon Barkley so all AJ McCarron need do this year is to hand the ball off to McCoy, Barkley. Should he need to throw McCoy is in the flat, Clay over the middle and KB in the red zone. 

Feel free to blaze away :P

10 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I agree with this.  They've prepped for this for a year.  They know if the guys at the top are worth moving up to get.  They may not know which one is THEIR guy, but they know if there is at least 1 that's worth taking the chance on.

Making the move up and making the pick are two separate transactions.

11 minutes ago, McBean said:

ICB has been right more than he has wrong.

With that being said, I’m not buying it. The Giants are taking a QB.

Has he though ?  I'm not  sure. He definitely  flopped on the last foles rumor

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Take this as you will

Funny as most any other Inc Bob rumor gets pooh-poohed here but say something somebody wants to hear and now it is gospel.  It's a slow news day sports-wise so somebody checks various NFL team boards to see what fans are hungering for and lo and behold a rumor is born.  Get back to me when OBD is holding a press conference about it.  Still too expensive if the Giants have no other bidders to go against the Bills.  The only way the Giants get this is if somebody such as Denver offers their 1st and 2nd this year along with a 1st next year to open the bidding with.

1 hour ago, BigBuff423 said:

Man, that IS a king's ransom to make that move...in fact, it would seem that would be enough to get to #1.....if the Giant's counter, I'd love to know how much more they think they can get....woof!

In many ways, for all of that, I'd rather stay put....wow.

I couldn’t agree more , IMO that’s the max I would be willing to give up , UNLESS McBeane really believes that we get our future franchise QB , and if that is the case then maybe even ( what ever it takes ) 

I don’t want to settle for a 2nd or 3rd choice we blew it with Big Ben , can’t make the same mistake 

10 minutes ago, Putin said:

I couldn’t agree more , IMO that’s the max I would be willing to give up , UNLESS McBeane really believes that we get our future franchise QB , and if that is the case then maybe even ( what ever it takes ) 

I don’t want to settle for a 2nd or 3rd choice we blew it with Big Ben , can’t make the same mistake 

I don't know why people think this sort of disclaimer is insightful.  If they make the move up, of course they believe it's the franchise guy.

This may not be real, but THIS is about what it would take to move up to #2.  I'm not sure what people were expecting.  THIS is the reason why I think we should stay at 12, keep the picks, and take someone like Mason Rudolph.  People were being unrealistic thinking we wouldn't have to give up much to move to #2.

I should add though, that I trust Beane.  If he trades up to #2, and gives the Giants something like ICB is noting, then I will trust that Beane did not think any QB he could get at 12 has the chance to be a franchise QB.

Edited by PIZ

5 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Funny as most any other Inc Bob rumor gets pooh-poohed here but say something somebody wants to hear and now it is gospel.  It's a slow news day sports-wise so somebody checks various NFL team boards to see what fans are hungering for and lo and behold a rumor is born.  Get back to me when OBD is holding a press conference about it.  Still too expensive if the Giants have no other bidders to go against the Bills.  The only way the Giants get this is if somebody such as Denver offers their 1st and 2nd this year along with a 1st next year to open the bidding with.

Sooo “Rumor” and “take this as you will” = gospel in your world.

Just now, Dr Doom said:

What if they swapped first round picks next year? Would that be a good compromise?

If I'm the Giants I know I'm your only choice AND I've got other GMs calling me non-stop as well.

I really think it would take both 2018 1sts, the 2019 1st (which if I'm the Giants I'm assuming is between 8 and 15) plus one second and one third this year

It is going to cost a LOT to move up. Those draft value charts are meaningless IMO.