Rumor: Trade up discussion with Giants

10 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Colts don't want a QB, that's why they traded down.

Knowing the Colts wouldn't be interested in QB, why didn't the Bills get more aggressive with the Colts?

Perhaps, like a lot of analysts, the Bills have two guys (Darnold & Rosen) well in front of everyone else at the position.

Ok, so yesterday the story was Beane wasnt prepared for a move because he had only met with the QBs for 15 minutes. And today the rumor (from ICB no less) is that talks are back on and we have made a formal offer...which he knows exactly what said offer is.

And people believe this why exactly? 

10 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

Disaster if they trade all those picks.  Way to many holes on this team to bet on a #1 round QB saving the day.

Oh no, what are we going to do at SAM linebacker, 3rd WR, backup DT and 3rd CB!  Way too many holes to get a franchise QB for the first time in 2 decades!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, bigK14094 said:

Disaster if they trade all those picks.  Way to many holes on this team to bet on a #1 round QB saving the day.

I have to ask, respectfully: if now isn't the time to make your play for a QB in the top 10, when will it be time?

This franchise has gone nearly 60 years without ever using its highest draft slot on a QB.  At some point, isn't it time to stop aiming and pull the trigger?

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

Right,

because the Bills have had a dynamite QB for the last 18+ years, and just happen to ignore every other position.

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

If you want a QB, you have to be in the top 5. 

Oh yes,I agree. I would do whatever it takes to get there.

I was commenting on your thoughts regarding the expense to move up. The Giants would be giving up the number 2 spot in a QB rich draft,filled with QB needy teams. If they trade with Buffalo they would be moving out of the premium area of top ten.

We will have to pay substantially more than Indy did,since they and the Jets set the value and Indy only moved 3 spots back.

That supposed initial offer isn’t going to do it because the Giants will be losing the value of 10 spots and leaving the so called blue chip zone.

Just now, oldmanfan said:

well, that's what he said, right?

No, he didn't say that they were having conversations with each guy; he said that they've only talked to each guy for 15 minutes at this point.

He also said that the team had no plans to move up or down from 21 and 22, and we know how that turned out.

You just don't know.

:beer:

2 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Ok, so yesterday the story was Beane wasnt prepared for a move because he had only met with the QBs for 15 minutes. And today the rumor (from ICB no less) is that talks are back on and we have made a formal offer...which he knows exactly what said offer is.

How do you know a GM is lying this time of year?

his lips are moving.

27 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I noticed they are talking about it and Jeremy white responded to IB on twitter 

It's far too much to give up.  He just throws **** at the wall that makes sense.

I have done this before, but he goes public and announces it.  It's called logic and reasoning. 

I had a strong inclination that we would go after star. It made too much sense and from reports star loved mcds defense.

In this case it would take something similar to the proposition to get to #2. When that happens bib is right.

41 minutes ago, ALF said:

I posted in another tread

To move up to #2  might  offer #12  ,  #22  ,   2019  #1   and a player if necessary. Maybe 2019 , 2nd rd also

The Bills need the remainder of 2018 picks  for needed players now. 

With all the cap space in 2019 from dead cap leaving , will have plenty of cap space for free agency to cover loss of 2019 #1.

Giants will have big time offers after Jets moved to #3. This could be the most important draft ever.

Their are going to be a lot of teams with lots of cap room in 2019. The top FA still have to want to play in the snow and weather conditions in Buffalo. If The Bean trades up in this draft with the Giants then he likes two QB's in this draft. So much draft capital to part with, it must suck to know if you choose wrong you killed and set the franchise back at least 3 years.

24 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

That's, think what you want. He's one of the best QB prospects to come out the last 10 years, that's not just my opinion. 

The problem with Darnold is he is also one of the youngest ever so sitting him makes sense. 

I know that's the consensus on internet forums but I just don't see it. 

Several of our posters have speculated on a package like this...so IB is probably throwing his normal **** against the wall.  This particularly low risk for him.  If the deal never gets done, he says Gettleman didn't want to deal; if it gets done for more, he says they negotiated; if it gets done for less--he can claim the price went down when there was no other demand (highly, highly unlikely).  But he will claim credit for the breaking news.

I think Gettleman really wants 1-2019...and it will be part of the deal.  This will give him his QB next year.  The Bills may get to keep 65 and 2-2019 if we add it.

5 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

The top FA still have to want to play in the snow and weather conditions in Buffalo.

This might be one of the bigger reasons to pay a little extra to get a guy if you think he's franchise material. Obviously, having a top flight QB gives your team a better chance to win each year and might help attract a FA who wouldn't normally even consider Buffalo. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Knowing the Colts wouldn't be interested in QB, why didn't the Bills get more aggressive with the Colts?

I know they don't want a QB.  But the two players I mentioned probably are on their radar.  They'll be there at 6 but not at 12.

The Colts probably didn't want to risk losing top 7 talent so the Jets had a more appealing deal.

13 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Who is believing it? A rumor is a rumor. Also, Beane is lying.

Edited by YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, JoeF said:

Several of our posters have speculated on a package like this...so IB is probably throwing his normal **** against the wall.  This particularly low risk for him.  If the deal never gets done, he says Gettleman didn't want to deal; if it gets done for more, he says they negotiated; if it gets done for less--he can claim the price went down when there was no other demand (highly, highly unlikely).  But he will claim credit for the breaking news.

I think Gettleman really wants 1-2019...and it will be part of the deal.  This will give him his QB next year.  The Bills may get to keep 65 and 2-2019 if we add it.

And I’m ok with that because we’ll have a franchise QB and $100M to spend next offseason.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Why? Because Beane wants to analyze the QB's first before giving away draft stock. Refreshing to see a GM take a methodical approach for once. Just because the Jets sold the farm to move up a few spots doesn't mean we have to.

52 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

Man, that IS a king's ransom to make that move...in fact, it would seem that would be enough to get to #1.....if the Giant's counter, I'd love to know how much more they think they can get....woof!

In many ways, for all of that, I'd rather stay put....wow.

If you think that's a kings ransom to move up and grab a possible Franchise QB in a good QB year - than you just haven't been paying close enough attention. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Their are going to be a lot of teams with lots of cap room in 2019. The top FA still have to want to play in the snow and weather conditions in Buffalo. If The Bean trades up in this draft with the Giants then he likes two QB's in this draft. So much draft capital to part with, it must suck to know if you choose wrong you killed and set the franchise back at least 3 years.

No offense: the bold text is the biggest misconception I see regarding drafting QBs.  You only set your franchise back when you limit the number of attempts that you're willing to make at finding a franchise QB in a given time period.

Signing McCarron?  Great move; count him as an "iron in the fire" (and I know some folks are going to get sick of me using that terminology).  Trade up and draft a top-3 QB this year?  Great, count him as an iron in the fire.  Peterman?  Sure, for this year, count him as one too.

Next year, if none of these guys look the part, then you part ways with McCarron and Peterman and make other moves at the position.

4 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

And I’m ok with that because we’ll have a franchise QB and $100M to spend next offseason.

Agreed, though it'll probably be closer to $85M once this year's draft picks are signed.

• Like (+1) 2