Has there ever been a more fun, anticipated off season?

njbuff

It's only going to be "fun" if the Bills do what each one wants them to do.  If they simply draft with all those picks the BPA and don't end up with a consensus top QB in the draft I'm sure it will be a horror for many who expect to be drafting their guy top 3.

Just now, Woodman19 said:

It's only going to be "fun" if the Bills do what each one wants them to do.  If they simply draft with all those picks the BPA and don't end up with a consensus top QB in the draft I'm sure it will be a horror for many who expect to be drafting their guy top 3.

It would signal that there is little hope for the franchise going forward.

1 minute ago, Fetou said:

It would signal that there is little hope for the franchise going forward.

To you, but what if they hit on most of those first 6 picks and get probowlers all over the team?  Suddenly you don't need an Aaron Rodgers, a middle tier QB will do.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, njbuff said:

I find this stuff fascinating.

I am looking everywhere, all the time to see what is going on.

What do you think?

Couldn't agree more. Coming off the playoff appearance, a ton of draft picks and a lot of QB possibilities in the draft and free agency. Looking forward to seeing how it plays out and I see no reason not to put my faith in McBeane. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

I agree it is the opposite of every off season I can remember.

no doubt.  i am so addicted to this team that's it's very counterproductive. all i want to do is keep up everyday and will read or listen to anything football but more specifically the bills.

i listen to wgr and 950 all day everyday.( except between 10-noon.) i don't do the sabres or hockey.

i bounce between danger and battaglia and shopp and the lapdog. it's so bad that i jones for the john murphy show over the weekends. i need help....or some kind of job at obd:rolleyes:

Edited by billsredneck1

Hope springs eternal when the team makes a QB change...I think fans were at the point where they had lost all hope with Tyrod- I know I did...I had vowed I wasn’t going to another game as long as Tyrod was the QB because I already knew what the game would look like.

So, now combine a new regime trading him, to having all these picks, to having all these QBs to chose from.   It makes for a very drama filled offseason.

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Like (+1) 1

I'm on pins and needles here about the QB position.  Did they let Tyrod go having a plan in place or did the Browns offer them more than they'd be able to get and they jumped on it?

If the later is the case, we are rolling the dice on a FA QB or drafting one.  Scary but refreshing at the same time.

• Like (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, Fetou said:

Already terrified of the let down if they don't chase a top QB prospect.

Not terrified, but same line of thinking here. 

We we had a floor called Tyrod.  Now the floor until resolve is somewhere between Peterman and totally unknown. Last time we saw the franchise painted into this type of corner, it didn’t go well 

24 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

no doubt.  i am so addicted to this team that's it's very counterproductive. all i want to do is keep up everyday and will read or listen to anything football but more specifically the bills.

i listen to wgr and 950 all day everyday.( except between 10-noon.) i don't do the sabres or hockey.

i bounce between danger and battaglia and shopp and the lapdog. it's so bad that i jones for the john murphy show over the weekends. i need help....or some kind of job at obd:rolleyes:

Haha I hear ya man...I turn WGR off when they start talking hockey...Sal’s my boy...can’t wait till he has his own show instead of Murph.

• Like (+1) 1

https://www.theringer.com/2017/6/30/16077380/sports-nba-offseason-nfl-free-agency-chris-paul-aaron-rodgers-d480daa52ab1

The above is an article from last summer as NBA Free Agency was going on. There are probably more but that was the first one i found. At the time I remember there was a lot of conversation about 1. NBA players getting ridiculously sized contracts and some NFL players voicing their jealousy. and 2. The NBA off-season/free agency was much more exciting then the NFL off-season and free agency.

Fast forward to this year and with out question this has been the most dramatic beginning to an NFL Free Agency period that I can recall. And we haven't even actually started Free Agency yet.

It begs the question. Were NFL execs listening to some of the criticism from the media regarding the NBA having a greater free agency period last summer? Is it possible the commissioner sent a memo to owners and GMs to be more active?  

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

Huh?

The Bills have won several offseasons in the last 5.....

When was the last time that the Bills had the wherewithal to get one of the highly rated qbs in the draft? That's where most of the interest is in this offseason. 

4 minutes ago, JohnC said:

When was the last time that the Bills had the wherewithal to get one of the highly rated qbs in the draft? That's where most of the interest is in this offseason. 

5 years ago they drafted EJ Manuel, to top rated QB draftee and only 1st round QB taken.

The year before that, they had the opportunity, but not the "wherewithal" (basic football evaluation intelligence) to draft Wilson for a 3rd (essentially a throwaway these days).  They instead blew their first 3 picks on a CB (who is gone), an LT (who is injured--and when healthy, no franchise QB to protect) and an awful WR who is long gone and out of the league.

Well it certainly has all of us on this board boxing with each other over the quarterback solution. Trade up, trade down, stand-pat, etc. The exciting part for me is we have a FO that seems to have a clue about building a team for the future. And that is pretty damn exciting!

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

5 years ago they drafted EJ Manuel, to top rated QB draftee and only 1st round QB taken.

The year before that, they had the opportunity, but not the "wherewithal" (basic football evaluation intelligence) to draft Wilson for a 3rd (essentially a throwaway these days).  They instead blew their first 3 picks on a CB (who is gone), an LT (who is injured--and when healthy, no franchise QB to protect) and an awful WR who is long gone and out of the league.

Five years ago the Bills drafted a third to fourth round rated qb in the first round. You may have been excited by such foolishness but I wasn't. 

If you are trying to convince me that the Bills have not made wise decisions with respect to acquiring a franchise qb, don't bother. You and I are in the same choir singing the same lament. Maybe not for you but I do see a greater focus to get a top shelf prospect from this year's draft. That is a refreshing change that hasn't happened in years. Because of the past you may be irretrievably jaded, I'm not. I'm excited about this offseason  because of the anticipation on how this organization is going to address the qb issue. 

Sometimes being too cool can be very uncool. :)

59 minutes ago, Augie said:

I find it hard NOT to love, since we have so many picks and we seem to have a FO with a true plan for the first time in a very, very long time! 

I had dinner with a high ranking staff member of the Carolina Panthers Friday.  He said Beane is one of the smartest people he's ever been around in his life.  He went on to say we're in good hands with him because he's just one of those guys that seems to be a step ahead.  According to him, it would surprise no one with the Panthers that knew him if he built a winning team.  He called him a beautiful mind and when someone would bring up a point - Beane would have an in depth analysis of the point as if he'd already been working on it for months - but in reality his brain is constantly in overdrive.

I found it an extremely interesting conversation.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

Five years ago the Bills drafted a third to fourth round rated qb in the first round. You may have been excited by such foolishness but I wasn't. 

If you are trying to convince me that the Bills have not made wise decisions with respect to acquiring a franchise qb, don't bother. You and I are in the same choir singing the same lament. Maybe not for you but I do see a greater focus to get a top shelf prospect from this year's draft. That is a refreshing change that hasn't happened in years. Because of the past you may be irretrievably jaded, I'm not. I'm excited about this offseason  because of the anticipation on how this organization is going to address the qb issue. 

Sometimes being too cool can be very uncool. :)

Huh?? No, I wasn't.  I was just answering your question.

We all assume they are taking a QB in the 1st.  But until they pull the trigger, we don't know.

But it is already clear this group is far  more football savvy about putting together a viable team than Whaley was (I can't beat up on poor ol' Buddy Nix anymore).

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

I find this stuff fascinating.

I am looking everywhere, all the time to see what is going on.

What do you think?

It was deadly boring a month ago, because the Bills coaching situation and GM situation were all set.  I wrote about how boring it was and that it wouldn't get interesting until free agency. 

Now I'm like you.  I'm looking every hour to see if there's news.  

In the last couple of weeks we've had three interesting signings and the Tyrod trade.  Now we're waiting on Wednesday for a qb.  

Things definitely have heated up. 

35 minutes ago, White Linen said:

I had dinner with a high ranking staff member of the Carolina Panthers Friday.  He said Beane is one of the smartest people he's ever been around in his life.  He went on to say we're in good hands with him because he's just one of those guys that seems to be a step ahead.  According to him, it would surprise no one with the Panthers that knew him if he built a winning team.  He called him a beautiful mind and when someone would bring up a point - Beane would have an in depth analysis of the point as if he'd already been working on it for months - but in reality his brain is constantly in overdrive.

That's really interesting.  Not surprising - I'd hoped he was like that.  He seems that way in his pressers.   He gives interesting direct answers.  

1 hour ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

I agree it is the opposite of every off season I can remember.

I agree about it being different.  This is the first time that I can remember thinking that the GM and coach knew what they were doing. 

Lots of people seem to be freaking out about whether the Bills will get this free agent or draft that qb.  I'm not. I think McBeane know exactly what they're doing. I'm just interested to see what they're thinking. 

Edited by Shaw66
  • Like (+1) 1

Some reasons for this:

We have hope or optimism for the upcoming season, from having went to the playoffs last year despite a mediocre at best qb, and from having 6 draft picks in the first 3 rounds..

We finally May get a top 5 pick, and have our chance to draft one of the top 2 or 3 qbs, which are being drooled over by the media, or we can load up on position of need players in the draft, from all our early draft choices.

We see Bean as seeming competent and having a vision, in getting rid of potential problem players or inconsistency from players at top positions, instead of staying pat and playing things always safe, or fearing upsetting the masses.

We see McDermott as a likeable person too who wants to build an exciting and positive culture his way, that may not make everyone happy, with the decisions he makes, but with purpose to benefit all. 

Many players  from other teams no longer avoid coming here, but seem to want to be a part of the Bills because of the way they have been treated. 

The unknown breeds excitement too. Are we going to take the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th rated qb, and who will that choice be and how will that turn out, or will we fool everyone and take our chance with Foles, Keenum, Bradford, etc, and build our team other ways first.

The Patriots soon could be in decline, too, once boy wonder turns arthritic, fragile, tired, weaker, slower to process,  etc

So, with hope, optimism, from McBean and lots of picks and from the newness soon at the qb position,, and from our past excitement at finally being in the playoffs, only Henry Kissinger, Al Gore or Ben Stein would not get some fun or excitement this year.

You would not be hear at Two Bills drive otherwise.

And that trade has me constantly checking for the next shoe to fall. I thought it was done because they had a deal ready with philly, but obviously not the case now. Let’s see what tomorrow brings...

1 hour ago, White Linen said:

Of course, the first time he loses a poker hand people will be ready to jump all over him. You’ll never win them all, you just have to win more than other teams, and don’t go all in and blow it. 

3 hours ago, Woodman19 said:

Pretty sure there will be a sizable group hating whatever happens.

• Like (+1) 1

...the 2018 draft (especially QB candidates) as well as FA players available is VERY intriguing, a better year than those past.....BUT..what makes it even MORE intriguing IMO is the FO/Admin in place at OBD as well as the coaching staff between the white stripes.....so far (sure it is on paper), this gang matches up with the Polian era and has the potential to be even better....pretty evident IMO that the 17 year drought was clearly attributed to a patchwork FO/Admin, with unqualified/NON-football people in positions they had no business being in but were installed solely based on "trust" (Donohole blew up the "inner Circle of Trust") and also included football people WELL past their prime... ...then again, the keyboard yipsters already are calling for "Fire McBeane/Fire McD/Fire McDaboll (poor SOB didn't even unpack yet).......

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1

2013 was fun. Buddy was about to step down. Everybody was high on Whaley given his time in Pittsburgh and his pro personnel acquisitions in Buffalo (say what you want about him as a GM, he is skilled at finding gems in others cast off’s). We knew we were all in on a QB. We were riding high. 

A lot like right now actually. The vibe is similar. McBeane are in a career difining year actually. Whaley lived and died by his EJ draft. 

Good luck McBeane, we are rooting for you! 

30 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

...LMAO....think so DiNozzo??....probably will be 28,567 posts satisfied with McBeane's selections including 26,434 "see I told you so " posts followed by 67,392 "fire the idiot McBeane NOW" posts.....stay tuned....oh joy...........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

It was deadly boring a month ago, because the Bills coaching situation and GM situation were all set.  I wrote about how boring it was and that it wouldn't get interesting until free agency. 

Now I'm like you.  I'm looking every hour to see if there's news.  

In the last couple of weeks we've had three interesting signings and the Tyrod trade.  Now we're waiting on Wednesday for a qb.  

Things definitely have heated up. 

That's really interesting.  Not surprising - I'd hoped he was like that.  He seems that way in his pressers.   He gives interesting direct answers.  

I agree about it being different.  This is the first time that I can remember thinking that the GM and coach knew what they were doing. 

Lots of people seem to be freaking out about whether the Bills will get this free agent or draft that qb.  I'm not. I think McBeane know exactly what they're doing. I'm just interested to see what they're thinking. 

From boring to nail biting eh,

I also think the McD/ Beane regime has a plan,

I hope all is going well with you Shaw66

3 hours ago, Green Lightning said:

Well it certainly has all of us on this board boxing with each other over the quarterback solution. Trade up, trade down, stand-pat, etc. The exciting part for me is we have a FO that seems to have a clue about building a team for the future. And that is pretty damn exciting!

Well said.  Was feeling good about Beane/McDermott, but after the TT trade............let them do it their way.

I trust them, which is something I haven't said in decades.

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I remember when being a fan of a football team was fun.

My God, I'm getting old.

4 hours ago, billsredneck1 said:

I hate the hockey time. Somehow I always seem to be in my car during hockey time.