Some team at the combine asked a player if he is gay

1 hour ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

I don't know that it's as cut and dried as you're making it out to be.  A job offer cannot be extended by the team.

And again, you can't ignore the fact that players are demanding an official NFL social advocacy platform for their beliefs.  Teams have a right to know what those beliefs are.

If I were a player I'd walk out on the interview.  Not someone I'd want to work for and clearly Guice felt the same

Just now, Buffalo30 said:

If I were a player I'd walk out on the interview.  Not someone I'd want to work for and clearly Guice felt the same

That's his right, and yours.

If I were an owner I'd tell players to market their beliefs on their own time, and their own dime.

5 hours ago, Toledo Bill said:

When asked that question (homosexual) in the movie "Stripes"... Harold Ramis... "No, but we would be willing to learn".

Winger:  "Yeah, would they send us some place special?"

4 hours ago, teef said:

oh yeah.  it's an absurd question.  the main reason i'd kid around about it is mostly because it's how i handle awkward situations.  

Nice.  First thing that came to my mind on the "Is your mother a prostitute?" question was....................

Pull out my phone, hit Call Mom, hand the phone to the interviewer, and say "It's ringing, ask her yourself".

3 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

That's his right, and yours.

If I were an owner I'd tell players to market their beliefs on their own time, and their own dime.

The media is the one that brings the two together.  That's the problem.  The players should be able to post and say what they want on social media.  Fans way overreact to someone else's personal life as if they have any right to judge.  Media needs to stop reporting details on players lives.  

58 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

I'm not sure what you're having trouble with, the NFL scouts/staff are giving them Psychological evaluations is what I just said that is what's similar.

Im having a difficult time understanding why a 21yo RB who is all but guaranteed to be a well compensated professional athlete next season would require or be administered a similar psychological evaluation as that of a future law enforcement agent? Moreover, why would they/should they tolerate similar or be conditioned for such testing...

6 minutes ago, FrankoElTanko said:

Im having a difficult time understanding why a 21yo RB who is all but guaranteed to be a well compensated professional athlete next season would require or be administered a similar psychological evaluation as that of a future law enforcement agent? Moreover, why would they/should they tolerate similar or be conditioned for such testing...

To test your reaction? See what your answer is? My guess and it's only a guess is that these players will be going in front of the media and in front of cameras , it will be unscripted, maybe to gauge how they'd answer questions that were off the wall. I'm not saying I agree with it but the NFL is a different animal.

Edited by BuffaloBillsGospel
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

It all becomes very relevant when part of what the players are demanding from teams is a platform for social advocacy.  If your goal is to use your job as a platform to push your belief system, your employer has every right to know what you'll be wanting to use their brand to sell.

Don't you think it's a little naive to believe that questions asked that way in a 15 minute interview have anything to do with "what you'll be wanting to use their brand to sell"?  I mean, is he gonna sell his momma, really, teams might think that? 

Agree or disagree with the questions themselves, most here seem to think they are designed to elicit a reaction and see what it is, not to actually gather info.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

Regarding the gay question, I would calmly point out that it is an inappropriate question to ask and that the NFL had banned teams from doing so.  Regarding the question about the mom, I would calmly state that if you insinuate anything about my mother I will come right over the table and you can find out just how much violence I can bring to the field.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I skipped ahead, so maybe this was discussed. I was shocked (and disappointed) at the results of a quick Google search regarding protected classes. Sexual orientation is indeed a protected class in some respects (such as housing and federal employment), and it can be against company policy (and often is, such as with the NFL).  But it can also be permissible in some employment situations. 

Is that correct? Does anyone know or have you found something different? If that’s in fact true, it seems we need to tighten things up a bit. 

Oh, and it’s stupid regardless....

I think it should only be against the law for gov't positions, private companies IMO should be able to ask whatever they want, it's their money.

I don't see the need for any more "tightening up", we already have way too much of that in this country.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Steptide said:

Who cares? You wanna pay me potentially millions of dollars to play in the NFL, you can ask me whatever you want, and I'll gladly answer whatever youd like to ask 

You may not care, but it doesn't make it any less illegal or inappropriate.

1 hour ago, T-Bomb said:

I think it should only be against the law for gov't positions, private companies IMO should be able to ask whatever they want, it's their money.

I don't see the need for any more "tightening up", we already have way too much of that in this country.

I fully understand what you’re saying. I too prefer to keep the government out of things as much as possible, but here I respectfully disagree. 

How do you feel about the other protected classes? Should we dump them too? 

I’m not sure this is the place for these topics, so I may bail out depending upon how things go. No disrespect, and not running away. Just trying to play by the rules. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, JohnC said:

This isn't an issue of political correctness or associated with any party or political leanings. At this time and place it is such a stupid and ignorant thing to ask someone. What makes this situation even more foolish is that this particular interview situation in the NFL has happened before and has drawn a scathing response, as it should. Sometimes there are novel situations where people don't know how to act and their intentions weren't intended to be offensive.  This wasn't the case, or at least it shouldn't have been. 

A well written response - hard to believe some of the other responses or lack of understanding of the law.

I think maybe we are being unfair. Maybe that coach is just lonely.

As for the is your mother a prostitute question, I would want the player who broke his nose.

That is a fair response. Mom a hooker? Break your nose. A fair, proportional reply. So like, don't beat the hell out of him, Just a nice clean well executed single punch targeted successfully to break his nose.

Edited by BadLandsMeanie

6 minutes ago, Dalton said:

A well written response - hard to believe some of the other responses or lack of understanding of the law.

The alleged questions asked were against the NFL established rules. That's not debatable; that's a fact. But this goes beyond the law. It enters into the realm of utter stupidity. The work place and the world have evolved. The problem with dealing with ignorant people (referring to interviewer/s involved) is that they are too stupid to recognize and understand how ignorant they are. For some ignorance is bliss. 

• Like (+1) 1

In todays news cycle and click baiting I completely understand the question.  Who talks to the press?  Who keeps things in house?  I think its a fair question to ask when every players agent is giving them cliche answers.  

59 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The work place and the world have evolved. The problem with dealing with ignorant people (referring to interviewer/s involved) is that they are too stupid to recognize and understand how ignorant they are. For some ignorance is bliss.

Welp, that take smells of a progressive who lives in fantasy land and not reality...  The left really has to stop it with the "whoever disagrees with me is just racist, transphobic, yadda", then somehow finding their way to NAZI in like 20.3 milliseconds"...

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, T-Bomb said:

Welp, that take smells of a progressive who lives in fantasy land and not reality...  The left really has to stop it with the "whoever disagrees with me is just racist, transphobic, yadda", then somehow finding their way to NAZI in like 20.3 milliseconds"...

That will never change.

1 minute ago, Augie said:

Are you........ available?   :)

LMAO

Asking someone if their mother's a slut could cost you some teeth at a regular job interview... Unless you're interviewing for the CIA, there's no place for questions like these anywhere in the workplace.

6 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

The big question is............is he?  ;) 

I fairness, he does seem gay... 100% his business, tho..

15 hours ago, PaattMaann said:

it could certainly help factor into a decision about a questionable player, are they easily unhinged? 

I don't understand why some on this board cannot comprehend how a players response to something like this reveals a glimpse into someones character or attitude/makeup 

If I go to a professional job interview and someone asks me if my mom's a whore or if I'm gay I'm walking out of the interview.

And that's a completely fine way to react. Do you realize how dumb you sound defending this? These questions have nothing to do with how one responds to adversity or any of what you are saying.

It's insulting. I don't think they would, but I really hope this isn't the Bills or I'm rooting against them until the GM and coach were to be fired. 

14 hours ago, LABillzFan said:

It doesn't matter if Guice thinks it's a big deal. The sports media will run this because you must care as they do. (In fact, why do you still call the Redskins by their name, you offensive fool!)

And then the rest of the media will play it up.

And by tomorrow afternoon a team will be fined and have to issue an apology, followed by countless Michael Sam interviews, and before it's all done, the NFL will make the offending team wear rainbow colors for their Thursday Night Football Color Rush.

Mark it.

They deserve the fine, and they should apologize to Guice. Anyone defending the team that did this is a neanderthal. 

Asking if his mom's a prostitute?  I'm not sure why you are trying to politicize it. I only see the right in this thread politicizing, and it's a reason I'm embarrassed to be a conservative. Most of you come across as morons and complain about things being political when no one other than you is making it political.

It should pretty much be universal that the team is completely in the wrong. Instead it appears you're attempting make any criticisms of your stupid league illegitimate and liberal. It's not, they don't get to do whatever they want you simpleton. 

6 hours ago, T-Bomb said:

Care to show any examples of this? I haven't read the whole thread but I haven't seen any of this. He didn't say any of what you just listed off, you might as well have not even quoted his post, because getting to where you got from his post... wow.  Talking about fantasy land and what not, Jesus man, look in a mirror. 

Maybe you should evaluate your own thinking as well. 

Edited by Ol Dirty B

12 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

I don't know that it's as cut and dried as you're making it out to be.  A job offer cannot be extended by the team.

And again, you can't ignore the fact that players are demanding an official NFL social advocacy platform for their beliefs.  Teams have a right to know what those beliefs are.

Being gay is not a “belief.”

2 hours ago, #34fan said:

Asking someone if their mother's a slut could cost you some teeth at a regular job interview... Unless you're interviewing for the CIA, there's no place for questions like these anywhere in the workplace.

I fairness, he does seem gay... 100% his business, tho..

I am joking,I don't really care.

7 hours ago, T-Bomb said:

Hahahaha. I think making wild exaggerations about what those who you disagree with might be closer to a fantasy land.

The competition rules are clear about what you can and can't ask, the law is equally clear. This is as much a privacy issue as it is a discrimination one. I thought the conservative right believed in individual privacy? 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Hahahaha. I think making wild exaggerations about what those who you disagree with might be closer to a fantasy land.

The competition rules are clear about what you can and can't ask, the law is equally clear. This is as much a privacy issue as it is a discrimination one. I thought the conservative right believed in individual privacy? 

It's a general statement about societal direction (social media and media driven mostly) not this thread.  And I used the term smell...

18 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Different approaches for different people. Obviously the questions that they asked him bothered him. They learned something because of that. 

What did they really learn though (and this is the issue)?  The player answered however he answered - he then gets asked by the media about dumb questions and this gets pointed out.  The question will come out and the player by the sounds of it gave a measured response and laughed it off.

Risk versus Reward - you asked a question that gets you very limited info, makes your team look bad, risks potential FA and UDFA from choosing your team, and after multiple times being told that you can’t do this risk penalties to the team.  

The line of questioning is is dumb and unnecessary - you want to get a rise - there are lots of football related ways to see if you can get a rise, if you are worried about fan or social media - they all have access- most of these guys have been on social media since high school and the NFL fans are not any worse than college fans - especially like with SEC rivalries or ACC.

Just now, PolishDave said:

I think it is hilarious that a person can create such a stir in random people just by asking another dude if he is gay..

Manufactured hysteria because people love drama.:D

It is not the fact he asked a dude if he is gay it is the fact he asked in a situation where he is forbidden from asking - and for very good reason.  It isn't manufactured hysteria it is legitimate disbelief that this sort of thing still goes on in the league.  It is beyond time for this nonsense to stop.  

Just now, GunnerBill said:

It is not the fact he asked a dude if he is gay it is the fact he asked in a situation where he is forbidden from asking - and for very good reason.  It isn't manufactured hysteria it is legitimate disbelief that this sort of thing still goes on in the league.  It is beyond time for this nonsense to stop.  

Total 100% manufactured drama.

Sorry.   That's just how I see it.     It is a manipulation tactic.   And it works (nearly) every time.

It has worked for thousands of years and will continue to work (in my opinion) for a thousand more if humans survive that long.

Just now, PolishDave said:

Total 100% manufactured drama.

Sorry.   That's just how I see it.     It is a manipulation tactic.   And it works (nearly) every time.

It has worked for thousands of years and will continue to work (in my opinion) for a thousand more if humans survive that long.

Who is manipulating people? The guy who had to answer questions about his sexuality and his mother's sex life in an interview......?  I think you are angry at the wrong people.  

Just how I see it.  

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Who is manipulating people? The guy who had to answer questions about his sexuality and his mother's sex life in an interview......?  I think you are angry at the wrong people.  

Just how I see it.  

You are mistaken.    I am not angry at all.

Just throwing in my alternative viewpoint.    I came to my conclusion after reading how people were reacting to this story.

People are free to care about whatever they want... You, me, everyone else.

Most of the people who already contributed in this thread who end up reading what I posted will disagree with it.    That is their prerogative.

A small percentage will read it and go - "Ya know what, he is probably right."    It is so hard to realize it is happening to you when it happens and it happens to us all.

11 hours ago, T-Bomb said:

Wait, WHAT?  How did a case of a football team asking questions that the NFL has clearly marked OOB or which are insulting and intended to elicit a reaction, turn into "the left", an accusation of "you think everyone who disagrees is racist or homophobic or NAZI"?  How about we say "the right really has to stop it with the whoever disagrees with me is a lefty liberal Social Justice Crusader and finding their way to SNOWFLAKE in like 20.3 milliseconds"?

Can you see how goofy that is, really? 

I disagree with JohnC ... a lot...often...but he's right on this.  It was stupid....asking a question the NFL has clearly said is not allowed, and another that most of humanity finds offensive (including certified redneck flag waving MAGA hat wearers, they don't like their Mamas insulted any more than snowflake liberals do), for no good purpose .... if the guy is a hothead with fans on SM or with his adrenaline up on the playing field, it won't necessarily come out from asking obviously "provocateur" questions ......doesn't test his football IQ or coachability....doesn't give them new information their scouts haven't turned up from SM or interviewing coaches/teammates/friends

• Like (+1) 2

18 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Teams dont care if the player is gay, and they already know their orientation well before the interview.

They only ask it to see how the player reacts to give them some indication of how he is going to handle himself when taunted.

That said, it is technically illegal for an employer to ask that, regardless of what they are trying to accomplish. But this is the world of the NFL we're talking about.

As long as they arent discriminating based on the player's orientation, I dont have a big problem with it.

They do know. They just want to see how the player will react. Will he get incredulous? If so, not a good sign for when he's rich and famous and someone in the club throws some shade his way.

It's not about how they answer in interviews. It's about how they are going to react in everyday life, or out with their friends. Can they be baited into an altercation?

I understand your first 3 points, but in this case, the "World of the NFL" has previously said "you can't ask that".  So, No.

The other side of the point is: are these questions actually an effective way to determine how the player will handle himself when taunted or in any other "everyday life" reaction?  I would put it to you that they pretty well already know if a guy has signs of social media immaturity or being able to be baited on the field/locker room before the interview just as they know his orientation.  In contrast, the Combine interview is an artificial situation - I'm sure handlers/coaches tell their guys these sorts of things may be asked, just keep your cool.  It's nowhere near the "high adrenaline" situation of a football game or a locker room after a chippy practice with guys desperate to make the team.  So IMHO it's an unproductive use of a portion of a very short interview and even understanding it's intended purpose, not likely to be effective. 

If you want to know how the guy reacts to some stress, like I and others have said, show him some film clips of his own bad plays and push him a little on that.  Show him a whiffed block or a missed tackle and say something that insults his manhood as a player.   You can get at a guy's temperment without bringing his female relatives into the room.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

These are the same lines of questions our own police force uses as a way to see how you react out in the field. The psychological exam for State Trooper would ask you far worse questions than these.

No they dont.