Some team at the combine asked a player if he is gay

Some of you guys could use some class and a little grace towards life. I've done hundreds of these types of conversations over the years. In no way is it necessary to ask questions of this type when you are trying to get to know someone.

Do you smoke? ..Do you believe in birth control?... Are you into S&M?..Do you bang your sister?...Are you catholic?..Do you believe on gun control? It is never ending if there are NO limits and it is classless. Some people will use these questions to discriminate as well don't fool yourself.

All it takes is NOT crossing the line into someone else's private life especially when it doesn't hurt anyone!

3 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

I hit submit too soon. All of those questions would get a company sued, and several people fired if asked on in interview.

Well if it was me being interviewed and those questions were asked to me, I’d say this is a great place to work because I have a sense of humor. But I guess the context matters as well...

2 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

It kind of outrages me that so many in here do not understand why the questions are asked lol 

And then people in here compare their interview experience with these NFL interviews, as if they are in any way, shape or form comparable lol 

NFL players are public figures. Most NFL players do not share most of our upbringings and back grounds. Most of these players do not come from stable families who had strong parents who taught them how to appropriately handle difficult situations. These questions are just another tool for scouts to determine what genetic make up and characters of men they might be handing millions of dollars to and/or making the face of their billion dollar franchise. 

"well in my interview experience..." lol, not...even...comparable! 

Ah right, so its pointless.

He got mad because I asked him if his mother was a hooker, without knowing anything about his family, or if his mom is still alive. That means he cant play football.

7 minutes ago, Zebrastripes said:

Take a state police lie detector test for a job and you will see these questions are actually more on the sensitive side then what is asked at the conbine.

I believe that folks have been referencing the psychological portion of the exam, not the polygraph. Totally different. 

2 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

It kind of outrages me that so many in here do not understand why the questions are asked lol 

And then people in here compare their interview experience with these NFL interviews, as if they are in any way, shape or form comparable lol 

NFL players are public figures. Most NFL players do not share most of our upbringings and back grounds. Most of these players do not come from stable families who had strong parents who taught them how to appropriately handle difficult situations. These questions are just another tool for scouts to determine what genetic make up and characters of men they might be handing millions of dollars to and/or making the face of their billion dollar franchise. 

"well in my interview experience..." lol, not...even...comparable! 

What does saying “I heard that your mother is a hooker” tell you about their genetic makeup? If they say “yes” or “that’s not true” what did you learn?

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Do you not understand the concept of workplace discrimination? It's the main reason these kinds of questions aren't asked in job interviews.

I do. Very well. The problem with that idea is that you have to prove discrimination occurred. Since these teams are not "hiring from a pool" it's very hard to do so. 

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

So here we are discussing if they are even legal, not even if they are inappropriate!! That’s the point. If they are anywhere near that line it’s inappropriate. 

But here's the thing: It is either legal or illegal. 

If it's illegal then it is definitely wrong that it was asked. 

If it is legal, then it's a matter of taste/propriety/opinion. 

If I am a scout and my boss asks me about the guy I just interviewed and asks if there are any red flags, and I believe (for whatever reason) that there is a large secret in his personal life that could eventually affect how he performs for the team, etc. I am going to have to mention that. If my boss asks me if I asked him and I say I didn't, I haven't done my due diligence. That's the issue. 

I'm not arguing that it's right or wrong to ask, but I do see why a team could realistically want to ask. 

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

What does saying “I heard that your mother is a hooker” tell you about their genetic makeup? If they say “yes” or “that’s not true” what did you learn?

It can tell you how they approach responses to questions, specifically inappropriate ones. As Marshawn Lynch made very clear, media availability is a required part of the job. As the owner, how do you want your player to react?

Truthfully, potentially without thinking?

Simply stating that you are unsure how it's relevant and leaving it at that?

Walking out completely?

Quick witted humor?

It may be unfortunate, but it is potentially relevant to some of their duties.

1 minute ago, CountDorkula said:

He got mad because I asked him if his mother was a hooker, without knowing anything about his family, or if his mom is still alive. That means he cant play football.

These players are fined if they don't face the media or sign autographs for fans. It's more than football. 

Remember that time Chan Gailey went off on the Bills fans heckling Trent Edwards at training camp? Imagine if Trent confronted the fans like most people on this board would do if someone called them every name in the book? 

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

if they say it's not true and you know for a fact that it is true, you just learned that they're a liar. 

And if they lied about that personal question they very well may lie about a question such as "do you hit girls" or, "do you smoke pot"

Just now, whatdrought said:

I do. Very well. The problem with that idea is that you have to prove discrimination occurred. Since these teams are not "hiring from a pool" it's very hard to do so. 

Actually what you have to 'prove' is a preponderance of the evidence, and questions like these go a long way to helping your case.

5 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

I believe that folks have been referencing the psychological portion of the exam, not the polygraph. Totally different. 

The polygraph goes hand in hand with the psychological portion of interview process.  There is actually a psychologist present during the lie detector.

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

Actually what you have to 'prove' is a preponderance of the evidence, and questions like these go a long way to helping your case.

But only if you can prove that you were passed over. In a draft setting that would be very hard to do. 

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

if they say it's not true and you know for a fact that it is true, you just learned that they're a liar. 

And if they lied about that personal question they very well may lie about a question such as "do you hit girls" or, "do you smoke pot"

:lol::blink:

2 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

I haven’t read the comments but I know I’m not the only one who doesn’t see an issue with this.

Only issue would be if the questions were meant to discriminate against the player. People automatically believe that's why they were asked. 

Edited by TheTruthHurts

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Getting under your skin is one thing, asking if you like men or your mom is a prostitute, is something else.  If you can't do the former without the latter, like I said you need to get out more.

No arguments there.  Just pointing out that this seems to have been going on for long long time.

2 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

But here's the thing: It is either legal or illegal. 

If it's illegal then it is definitely wrong that it was asked. 

If it is legal, then it's a matter of taste/propriety/opinion. 

If I am a scout and my boss asks me about the guy I just interviewed and asks if there are any red flags, and I believe (for whatever reason) that there is a large secret in his personal life that could eventually affect how he performs for the team, etc. I am going to have to mention that. If my boss asks me if I asked him and I say I didn't, I haven't done my due diligence. That's the issue. 

I'm not arguing that it's right or wrong to ask, but I do see why a team could realistically want to ask. 

But you already know everything about that guy. There are no secrets at that point. They have talked and interviewed pretty much everyone around them. You talk to teachers, coaches, strength coaches, girlfriends, ex-girlfriends, etc... You aren’t learning anything new about these people at this point. That’s just reality. You know them very, very well by now.

21 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Right?  He says "I love to suck some c___" does that take him off your draft board?

Just completely unprofessional, bottom line.  These are professional franchises.  Ask him why they couldn't beat Bama.  Ask him why he couldn't beat out Fournette.  There's a world of completely appropriate questions that can test someone's resolve.  Asking if their mom turns tricks, who does that?

And some posters don't believe these guys are employees?  Wtf?  

Edited by Chuck Wagon

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

But you already know everything about that guy. There are no secrets at that point. They have talked and interviewed pretty much everyone around them. You talk to teachers, coaches, strength coaches, girlfriends, ex-girlfriends, etc... You aren’t learning anything new about these people at this point. That’s just reality. You know them very, very well by now.

Then why ask anything at all? Why do interviews? 

4 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Why not just ask them “do you hit on girls” or “do you smoke pot?” That’s what you want to learn. If you want to learn if they are a liar why not ask them something else that you already know is true? “Have you ever cheated on a test?” 

"Is your mother a cheap whore?"

"Hell, no."

"Really? Then how do you explain this photo of her in my hotel bed with $100 on the nightstand?"

"Well, it looks to me like you owe my mother another $300."

3 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

But only if you can prove that you were passed over. In a draft setting that would be very hard to do. 

Not just if you were 'passed over'. Even if you were hired (drafted), the totality of your interactions with that employer would be subject to scrutiny up until the point you left the team. It's why you never, as an employer, ask those kinds of questions. 

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

Why not just ask them “do you hit on girls” or “do you smoke pot?” That’s what you want to learn. If you want to learn if they are a liar why not ask them something else that you already know is true? “Have you ever cheated on a test?” 

Different approaches for different people. Obviously the questions that they asked him bothered him. They learned something because of that. 

Oh boy this thread.  Some of you are embarrassing yourselves...

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

If I found out this is how the Bills are testing a player's ability to test adversity I would feel really embarrassed. I don't know if this is strictly illegal but it is stupid.

Really really embarrassed.  If a team is that ass-backwards that they ask questions like that I don't think it would be a team I would want to play for.

54 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

are people that dense that they dont understand why these questions are asked?

TO GAUGE THEIR REACTION, DO THEY FREAK OUT ON THE ASKER? DO THEY KEEP THEIR COMPOSITION WHEN PRESSED ON A SENSITIVE SUBJECT? 

Jesus people, really? 

Aren't you a teacher?  Is there any question that would be off limits?  As a teacher with a tough job should your employer be able to ask if your Mother is a whore?  Should they be able to ask about your sexual orientation?  No they shouldn't because they have ZERO to do with your ability to do the job.

41 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I actually disagree... I think it has quite a bit to do with team dynamic, media coverage, overall personality, etc... Whether or not it's ethical, I definitely see why teams ask the question. 

Look at what happened with Michael Sam. It was a media circus. Imagine as a team you invest a 1st round pick in a guy and then that comes out and you have a huge distraction to deal with. I think the reason it's easy to say "how dare they ask that question" is because we assume they're asking due to their own personal bias (which could be the case), as opposed to asking in order to know all the angles of a person who they have to give an honest evaluation of. 

I'm not saying these two examples are the same, but imagine if they were to ask Jameis Winston about the rape accusation. We wouldn't think that was out of line because it is something that they potentially have to deal with later. The same is here (minus the negativity and criminality of course), they're covering bases as it is their job to do so. Just like I am sure Josh Rosen was asked all about his rich family. 

They are not at all the same.  Jameis made mistakes that are public knowledge and it is appropriate to ask about them to see his view, what he learned, likeliness to be in the same situation, etc...  Nothing to do with "hey is your mom a whore?"

14 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

You are right that I don't think legally it is a "job interview" that would need to be tested by the courts if someone genuinely felt that had been unlawfully discriminated against.  Teams might "want to know it" but they have no right to know it and frankly no right to ask it.  I would not be shy in letting them know that.  I refused to answer a question once in an interview about my relationship status.  It has nothing to do with the employer.  

It would be very interesting to see.  If say Guice slips unexpectedly, or the team drafts a different player at the position that asked, or even if he felt like it played a role in his draft position, I wonder what the courts would decide if he chose to sue.  It is illegal to make an employment choice based on numerous things including sexual orientation.  

Two years ago the NFL reminded its clubs in a memo that questions about sexual orientation are against league policy as well as employment discrimination laws.

So seeing as teams were already told not to do it and it is illegal it seems like a slam dunk case.  However it would be interesting to see it play out in the courts.

7 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

I can't think of one more appropriate 

what would your questions be?

Seriously?  You can't think of a way to find out about how someone handles pressure situations other than asking if they are gay?  How does asking about sexuality even do that?  Hey section122 are you gay? no.  umm okay no pressure there.  All getting that question asked of me would do is make me think that person is an idiot.  It wouldn't create a pressure situation for me.

For examples though:

You could talk about Les Miles the man who recruited him being fired.

You could talk about Saturday night games in Baton Rouge

You could talk about getting as high as #5 in the ap poll and not finishing well

You could talk about balancing school and football

You could talk about replacing Leonard Fournette and the expectations that came with that

This is all without digging on Guice or putting more than 5 minutes of thought in.  Please stop defending asking such ridiculous questions it is a terrible look... 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Remnants of the Neanderthal faction still in existence. If a person hasn't learned to adapt to the modern world and know what is appropriate or not at this point then they will never. 

Neanderthals actually were good looking and highly intelligent, they were largely responsible for intellectual growth through genetic mutations. They are extinct because they were to successful for their own good, they were essentially bred out of existence. White people get their red and blonde hair from Neanderthals, but I get what you are trying to say.

Edited by NewDayBills

13 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Only one team asked this question. So I don't think it's common like some of you think.

Even if it's only 1 team crossing the line, how is that ok?  And why would you want to be that one team.  If you want Guice when he hits FA, isn't that going to make it an uphill negotiation?

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

That’s just lazy old school garbage. 

If you you want to offend a football player to see how they react, do some film study, find a play they flubbed.  

Ask them why they quit there or how that opponent so easily beat them. 

Ask them which supermarket they plan on working at after they fail at football 

Actually should that be a thread? Offensive but socially acceptable combine questions?  

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 1

Different approaches for different people. Obviously the questions that they asked him bothered him. They learned something because of that. 

They learned that they came across as a-holes as they’ve been getting destroyed publicly for about a week.

2 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

If you want to learn something about a potential hire, take them golfing. You'll know everything you need to know by the back nine.

8 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

And Athletes are a higher class of human beings, everything they do is different then the rest of us simpletons, therefore nothing is comparable or applies to them like it does everyone else.

Are they getting paid more? Yes

Is there a chance they get more attention and fame from their job? more likely

None of this means that the laws or rules don't apply to them or that teams or employers can treat them any different. Rules are rules when it comes to employment and discrimination. Asking questions about religious and political beliefs, sexual orientation, or other highly personal information is not permitted anywhere. Even after they higher the person it's still not acceptable. They can ask what do you enjoy doing in your spare time, or interests, etc. But that's about it. This isnt the 50s anymore

Just now, apuszczalowski said:

And Athletes are a higher class of human beings, everything they do is different then the rest of us simpletons, therefore nothing is comparable or applies to them like it does everyone else.

Are they getting paid more? Yes

Is there a chance they get more attention and fame from their job? more likely

None of this means that the laws or rules don't apply to them or that teams or employers can treat them any different. Rules are rules when it comes to employment and discrimination. Asking questions about religious and political beliefs, sexual orientation, or other highly personal information is not permitted anywhere. Even after they higher the person it's still not acceptable. They can ask what do you enjoy doing in your spare time, or interests, etc. But that's about it. This isnt the 50s anymore

Guice has an open and shut case if he wants to sue. The nfl has come out and said  that it violated their conduct rules and was illegal.