Some team at the combine asked a player if he is gay

Just now, GunnerBill said:

You are right that I don't think legally it is a "job interview" that would need to be tested by the courts if someone genuinely felt that had been unlawfully discriminated against.  Teams might "want to know it" but they have no right to know it and frankly no right to ask it.  I would not be shy in letting them know that.  I refused to answer a question once in an interview about my relationship status.  It has nothing to do with the employer.  

I agree that they don't have a right to know it, but they certainly have a right (or at least think they do) to ask it. 

Well that's the beauty of the voluntary interview/meeting... he could have refused to answer. The problem is that he went to the media (for whatever reason) and this is becoming a large spectacle. 

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

If don't do social media in any sense and I certainly wouldn't if I was a prominent public figure. I don't see how that abuse which is totally and entirely unacceptable somehow justifies teams asking questions about a person's sex life, or their mother's sexual history?  

It's just a question. They can't force you to answer. Just say that's personal and move on. 

2 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

So how come some questions are okay for that and others aren't? 

Because asking me whether I read, or whether I drive, or whether I play playstation in my spare time is not an invasion of my privacy.  Asking who I sleep with and who my mother sleeps with is.  

This really is not difficult.  

I agree that they don't have a right to know it, but they certainly have a right (or at least think they do) to ask it. 

Well that's the beauty of the voluntary interview/meeting... he could have refused to answer. The problem is that he went to the media (for whatever reason) and this is becoming a large spectacle. 

No the problem is that he was asked the question.  If I was asked I'd refuse to answer and if they pushed I would terminate the interview walk straight to the press pack and name and shame.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Why does your sexual orientation or what your mother does for work matter to how well you play football?

Every NFL player takes classes on how to respond to media and fans. It's not just football when you become an NFL player, or even major college football. 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

But it didn't affect the team. He played a few pre-season games, got more attention than your typical 7th round pick, and then got cut.  It doesn't matter. Not a jot.  

But that's where we disagree... Anytime there is undo media attention it does affect the team. Another example is Tim Tebow and the attention he received for his religious beliefs. It affects the team because it interrupts the normal operation of things. I am not saying that should be reason to preclude such information, but it is reasonable for teams to want to know if the guy they are going to draft has any unexpected baggage that he brings with them. 

I will gladly admit though, that I have no clue if that is why the question was asked. I like to imagine it was, but it isn't hard to believe it was meant only to get a rise out of him. 

5 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

They aren't asking because they want to know, they are asking to see the response because teams know fans say the worst things to players. Even other players will try to get under their skin. 

That’s exactly what I’m saying. It’s out of line. There are a lot of ways to get to know how someone will respond to a tough situation that are more appropriate than “i heard your mom is a hooker...”

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

That’s exactly what I’m saying. It’s out of line. There are a lot of ways to get to know how someone will respond to a tough situation that are more appropriate than “i heard your mom is a hooker...”

I can't think of one more appropriate 

what would your questions be?

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Because asking me whether I read, or whether I drive, or whether I play playstation in my spare time is not an invasion of my privacy.  Asking who I sleep with and who my mother sleeps with is.  

This really is not difficult.  

No the problem is that he was asked the question.  If I was asked I'd refuse to answer and if they pushed I would terminate the interview walk straight to the press pack and name and shame.  

How can you say one is an invasion of privacy and the other isn't? 

6 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

So how come some questions are okay for that and others aren't? 

I’ve been asked a lot of questions in a job interview (again that’s what this is). The people are trying to get to know who I am, how I will fit and what I would do in certain situations. I’ve interviewed 100 or so people as well. In no situation did anyone ever say “I heard that your mom is a hooker” to learn about someone. There are more appropriate ways.

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

But that's where we disagree... Anytime there is undo media attention it does affect the team. 

How was the attention on Sam "undue"?  I don't think it was.  He got more attention than a 7th rounder but none of it was negative attention.  It wasn't a distraction, it was few positive headlines and a few extra cameras at training camp.  

3 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Like what? 

“Tell me a specific time that someone said something negative about you on social media and how did you feel?” “You responded with _____. Why?” The reality the teams probably already knows the answer here. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson

How was the attention on Sam "undue"?  I don't think it was.  He got more attention than a 7th rounder but none of it was negative attention.  It wasn't a distraction, it was few positive headlines and a few extra cameras at training camp.  

Maybe I wasn't clear. By undo I simply meant any unexpected attention. Not specifically negative. 

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’ve been asked a lot of questions in a job interview (again that’s what this is). The people are trying to get to know who I am, how I will fit and what I would do in certain situations. I’ve interviewed 100 or so people as well. In no situation did anyone ever say “I heard that your mom is a hooker” to learn about someone. There are more appropriate ways.

If at the end of the conversation, is the team going to offer him a job that he can accept or deny on the spot? Without that, I don't know how it can be considered a job interview. 

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Yep.  Totally agree.  

1 hour ago, MiltonWaddams said:

What kind of a moron asks someone something like this in a job interview. If Goodell was worth a lick, which IMHO he isn't, he'd find out right away who this was an make an example out of him. Pathetic.

Take a state police lie detector test for a job and you will see these questions are actually more on the sensitive side then what is asked at the conbine.

I can't believe you really think that the two questions are comparable.  

It has nothing to do with what I believe and has everything to do with what you said. You said they can't ask because it's what he does on his private time. You have broken the life of Guice into two groups: Personal and professional. You put his sexual orientation into the personal group and said it does not affect his professional side and thus asking a question about it is an invasion. Then you said that asking if he reads or plays playstation, which is personal, is fine to ask. 

Why one and not the other? 

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

“Tell me a specific time that someone said something negative about you on social media and how did you feel?” “You responded with _____. Why?” The reality the teams probably already knows the answer here. 

The whole reason for the question is to make the player uncomfortable. 

• Like (+1) 1

If at the end of the conversation, is the team going to offer him a job that he can accept or deny on the spot? Without that, I don't know how it can be considered a job interview. 

You don’t consider these as job interviews?!? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

You don’t consider these as job interviews?!? 

I think there is ambiguity. I hire people in my job and I cannot ask about sexual preference in an official job interview as it may be construed as discrimination. 

If i am having a conversation with someone on the street I can ask them whatever I want. I am not saying what they are or are not, but rather speaking towards how the law would view them. 

If the law views them as official job interviews (which I think would be a stretch) then the question itself is illegal. 

It has nothing to do with what I believe and has everything to do with what you said. You said they can't ask because it's what he does on his private time. You have broken the life of Guice into two groups: Personal and professional. You put his sexual orientation into the personal group and said it does not affect his professional side and thus asking a question about it is an invasion. Then you said that asking if he reads or plays playstation, which is personal, is fine to ask. 

Why one and not the other? 

Because clearly sex life, religion, political beliefs are personnel in a way that your interests and hobbies are not.  It isn't that difficult to work out why.  

Just now, TheTruthHurts said:

The whole reason for the question is to make the player uncomfortable. 

It kind of outrages me that so many in here do not understand why the questions are asked lol 

And then people in here compare their interview experience with these NFL interviews, as if they are in any way, shape or form comparable lol 

NFL players are public figures. Most NFL players do not share most of our upbringings and back grounds. Most of these players do not come from stable families who had strong parents who taught them how to appropriately handle difficult situations. These questions are just another tool for scouts to determine what genetic make up and characters of men they might be handing millions of dollars to and/or making the face of their billion dollar franchise. 

"well in my interview experience..." lol, not...even...comparable! 

9 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

How can you say one is an invasion of privacy and the other isn't? 

Do you not understand the concept of workplace discrimination? It's the main reason these kinds of questions aren't asked in job interviews.

Just now, whatdrought said:

I think there is ambiguity. I hire people in my job and I cannot ask about sexual preference in an official job interview as it may be construed as discrimination. 

If i am having a conversation with someone on the street I can ask them whatever I want. I am not saying what they are or are not, but rather speaking towards how the law would view them. 

If the law views them as official job interviews (which I think would be a stretch) then the question itself is illegal. 

So here we are discussing if they are even legal, not even if they are inappropriate!! That’s the point. If they are anywhere near that line it’s inappropriate. 

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

To be fair under UK law... I can't speak for the US... if the candidate felt that it formed some part of the recruitment process then they would likely be successful in arguing that the question could be being asked in such a way as to discriminate against their job prospects even if it wasn't asked in the formal "interview".  

Because clearly sex life, religion, political beliefs are personnel in a way that your interests and hobbies are not.  It isn't that difficult to work out why.  

I understand why you're saying that, and I agree.... But the point that I am making is that either personal life affects professional life or it doesn't.

If it does, then a personal question about something like religion, politics, or sexual life ought to be fair game while trying to decide who this person is as much as asking them about their interests and hobby. 

If it doesn't affect professional life, then they shouldn't be allowed to ask about hobbies and interests.