Some team at the combine asked a player if he is gay

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

To get a sense for their personality but most importantly to test their football knowledge on the whiteboard.

Right. But what I am saying is that (right or wrong) they chose to do that that way for a reason. 

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

They learned that they came across as a-holes as they’ve been getting destroyed publicly for about a week.

Yep. And if it is revealed who it was, they will likely pay for that question. 

1 minute ago, CountDorkula said:

Guice has an open and shut case if he wants to sue. The nfl has come out and said  that it violated their conduct rules and was illegal.

Suing would be hard because it would have to violate anti-discrimination laws. If it's illegal in the leagues standard, the team is open to discipline. 

Just now, whatdrought said:

Right. But what I am saying is that (right or wrong) they chose to do that that way for a reason. 

Yep. And if it is revealed who it was, they will likely pay for that question. 

Totally agree on all points. I think that this will be the last year for this line of questioning. I’ll be really surprised if it isn’t addressed. It’s putting yet another black eye on the NFL.

6 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Even if it's only 1 team crossing the line, how is that ok?  And why would you want to be that one team.  If you want Guice when he hits FA, isn't that going to make it an uphill negotiation?

Well my point is if this is really such an important question, why does only one team ask it? That team is out of touch. I highly doubt it's the Bills, thankfully.

7 minutes ago, section122 said:

It would be very interesting to see.  If say Guice slips unexpectedly, or the team drafts a different player at the position that asked, or even if he felt like it played a role in his draft position, I wonder what the courts would decide if he chose to sue.  It is illegal to make an employment choice based on numerous things including sexual orientation.  

Two years ago the NFL reminded its clubs in a memo that questions about sexual orientation are against league policy as well as employment discrimination laws.

So seeing as teams were already told not to do it and it is illegal it seems like a slam dunk case.  However it would be interesting to see it play out in the courts.

Good find section.  As you say - that looks pretty open and shut.  It is a breach of the competition rules and teams were warned it is prima facie unlawful.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Different approaches for different people. Obviously the questions that they asked him bothered him. They learned something because of that. 

The Dan Patrick Show just played a clip of Guice talking about this. The interviewer asked what the weirdest questions he got. He laughed and answered and then went on to say teams ask questions like that to see if they can get a rise out of you. He seemed more amused than bothered by the questions.

Edited by LBSeeBallLBGetBall

8 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Even if it's only 1 team crossing the line, how is that ok?  And why would you want to be that one team.  If you want Guice when he hits FA, isn't that going to make it an uphill negotiation?

I think that is happy days point.  Most teams know it's not okay which takes away the defense that this is "just how it works"

Just now, LBSeeBallLBGetBall said:

The Dan Patrick Show just played a clip of Guise talking about this. The interviewer asked what the weirdest questions he got. He laughed and answered and then went on to say teams ask questions like that to see if they can get a rise out of you. He seemed more amused than bothered by the questions.

Okay, my bad. Thanks for the correction. Seems like the media is blowing it up in that case. Glad he played it off, not sure it's that big a deal, all things considered. 

1 hour ago, TheTruthHurts said:

I think questions that are sensitive should be fair game. NFL players are public figures and will experience much worse as a player. How they respond should be important. 

Well I'm sure there are NFL employers that would love to know this information, yet there are laws against discrimination... and this is definitely in violation.

1 minute ago, Heitz said:

The NFLPA and the NFL itself are not too happy:

NFLPA chief says team that asked about prospect's sexuality should be banned from combine

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/ct-spt-nfl-combine-player-sexuality-question-20180308-story.html

Didn’t take long...

It is a terrible look for the NFL (especially in the current climate). The NFL is so out of touch. They are so reactionary. 

5 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Okay, my bad. Thanks for the correction. Seems like the media is blowing it up in that case. Glad he played it off, not sure it's that big a deal, all things considered. 

Yeah. After reading this thread, I thought that Guice was pissed based off of everyone's reactions. Then on my lunch hour i heard the clip. People are just outraged on his behalf. He came off really laid back.

Edited by LBSeeBallLBGetBall

5 minutes ago, LBSeeBallLBGetBall said:

Yeah. After reading this thread, I thought that Guice was pissed based off of everyone's reactions. Then on my lunch hour i heard the clip. People are just outraged on his behalf. He came off really laid back.

that's the way to be.  i wouldn't ask the question of anyone, but if someone asked me, i'd take it lightly, probably make a joke about it, and move on.  i don't getting get up and walking out of the interview comments.  just respond and move on.

Edited by teef
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, teef said:

that's the way to be.  i wouldn't ask the question of anyone, but if someone asked me, i'd take it lightly, probably make a joke about it, and move on.  i don't getting up and walking out of the interview comments.  just respond and move on.

Is "ask your mother" an appropriate response? 

• Haha (+1) 3

1 minute ago, teef said:

that's the way to be.  i wouldn't ask the question of anyone, but if someone asked me, i'd take it lightly, probably make a joke about it, and move on.  i don't getting up and walking out of the interview comments.  just respond and move on.

That's ONE way to be. Another appropriate reaction would be to examine whether that question violated your civil rights and respond accordingly.

5 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Seems like the media is blowing it up in that case. Glad he played it off, not sure it's that big a deal, all things considered. 

It doesn't matter if Guice thinks it's a big deal. The sports media will run this because you must care as they do. (In fact, why do you still call the Redskins by their name, you offensive fool!)

And then the rest of the media will play it up.

And by tomorrow afternoon a team will be fined and have to issue an apology, followed by countless Michael Sam interviews, and before it's all done, the NFL will make the offending team wear rainbow colors for their Thursday Night Football Color Rush.

Mark it.

1 minute ago, teef said:

The only reason to not walk out is because it's the NFL and they're the only one hiring those with pro football skills. 

If I was interviewing for a marketing job and someone said "Hey, I heard your mom sells herself.  How do you feel about that?".  My response would likely be a three pronged "Excuse me?  F you.  I'm out." :beer:

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, LABillzFan said:

It doesn't matter if Guice thinks it's a big deal. The sports media will run this because you must care as they do. (In fact, why do you still call the Redskins by their name, you offensive fool!)

And then the rest of the media will play it up.

And by tomorrow afternoon a team will be fined and have to issue an apology, followed by countless Michael Sam interviews, and before it's all done, the NFL will make the offending team wear rainbow colors for their Thursday Night Football Color Rush.

Mark it.

Can't be worse then some of the ones we've seen.... 

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

That's ONE way to be. Another appropriate reaction would be to examine whether that question violated your civil rights and respond accordingly.

you could, but to me it's an amazing waste of time and energy.  i'd try to use it as an opportunity to show how questions wouldn't rattle me.  i honestly wouldn't bat an eye at it.  that said, again, i would never ask someone that question in an interview.  

1 minute ago, Misterbluesky said:

Well...are you gay?

how much cocaine have i done?

These interviews are job interviews for the players and teams. The entire point of them is for the teams to get to sit down and talk to players they feel they might be interested in employing. It's just like any other job out there, the potential employer brings you in and asks you questions to determine if they want to employ you. The only difference is they get chosen/hired through a draft instead of the employer making them an offer.

It's great for him that he is just brushing it off. Still doesn't make it acceptable or better. He may just be saying that because he doesn't want it to ruin any chances with his future career right now. He like everyone else has watched what happens when you stand up (or kneel) for a cause or belief, imagine what would happen if he stood up and complained about being wronged in this situation.

This is also why Hollywood is such a mess right now after years of people just sitting back and accepting things as they are even though they were wronged.

2 hours ago, TheTruthHurts said:

I think questions that are sensitive should be fair game. NFL players are public figures and will experience much worse as a player. How they respond should be important. 

Apart from the fact that it's, you know, illegal. 

3 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

Or because it's inappropriate, against league policies and borderline illegal.   

Edited by Heitz

1 minute ago, Heitz said:

The only reason to not walk out is because it's the NFL and they're the only one hiring those with pro football skills. 

If I was interviewing for a marketing job and someone said "Hey, I heard your mom sells herself.  How do you feel about that?".  My response would likely be a three pronged "Excuse me?  F you.  I'm out." :beer:

that's fair too.  this is an opportunity to possibly get a bump in salary/position, so i'd be guarded with the overreaction.  on the same note, i'm just someone who doesn't care.  

Just now, joesixpack said:

when's the last time you beat your wife?

do you consider a verbal assault a real beating?

Just now, teef said:

you could, but to me it's an amazing waste of time and energy.  i'd try to use it as an opportunity to show how questions wouldn't rattle me.  i honestly wouldn't bat an eye at it.  that said, again, i would never ask someone that question in an interview.  

It depends on the person being asked, obviously, but it's definitely not a waste of time and energy. We live in a litigious society informed by the rule of law, so any potential examination of refining existing law or establishing precedent has societal value.  

Just now, joesixpack said:

#youtoo?

#tonguelashing4eva

Just now, GoBills808 said:

It depends on the person being asked, obviously, but it's definitely not a waste of time and energy. We live in a litigious society informed by the rule of law, so any potential examination of refining existing law or establishing precedent has societal value.  

this **** is deep.

Just now, teef said:

that's fair too.  this is an opportunity to possibly get a bump in salary/position, so i'd be guarded with the overreaction.  on the same note, i'm just someone who doesn't care.  

IRL, I likely would too, but certainly wouldn't be like "No, ha ha - that's a funny question."  I too don't really care, which would make me more likely to challenge the person asking the question.  Even if it didn't really upset me, I'd still know it was wrong, IMO. :D 

4 minutes ago, Heitz said:

Are you interviewing for a position that requires you to answer questions that are unscripted while representing the company on a regular basis?

Just now, Heitz said:

IRL, I likely would too, but certainly wouldn't be like "No, ha ha - that's a funny question."  I too don't really care, which would make me more likely to challenge the person asking the question.  Even if it didn't really upset me, I'd still know it was wrong, IMO. :D 

oh yeah.  it's an absurd question.  the main reason i'd kid around about it is mostly because it's how i handle awkward situations.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Do you think NFL teams are actually going to make a decision about a player based on how he responds to a dumb question? Come to think of it the average NFL front office is incredibly dumb and it wouldn't surprise me if some team actually thinks this matters.

That's the key point to me, is that apparently some NFL teams have Australopithecines crafting their player assessment.

Please, guys, advance your psychological assessment techniques to at least Neanderthal.

You can tell who the straight white males are by the responses. The ones that haven't had to face actual discrimination before because of something. They are typically the ones saying it wouldn't bother them, they would just laugh it off  or move along. "Why can't you ask it to see if it rattles someone?"

It's a bit different when your a person who happens to be Gay, or Black, or something else that may have been descrimnated upon  in the past. It's not so easy to just laugh it off and take no offence when you have never lived it. It's also why people are taking more of a stand over things like this. Because if the NFL just accepts it and let's it go on, its saying it's still acceptable to do it because you may have had a reason for asking it (to gauge a reaction)

1 minute ago, apuszczalowski said:

You can tell who the straight white males are by the responses. The ones that haven't had to face actual discrimination before because of something. They are typically the ones saying it wouldn't bother them, they would just laugh it off  or move along. "Why can't you ask it to see if it rattles someone?"

It's a bit different when your a person who happens to be Gay, or Black, or something else that may have been descrimnated upon  in the past. It's not so easy to just laugh it off and take no offence when you have never lived it. It's also why people are taking more of a stand over things like this. Because if the NFL just accepts it and let's it go on, its saying it's still acceptable to do it because you may have had a reason for asking it (to gauge a reaction)

or certain people just aren't bothered by a question.  it completely depends on the personality and the question.  i have an aunt that's been with her partner since 1983.  she came out to us years ago, and has such a fantastic sense of humor about it.  on the flip side, i have a gay brother in law.  he's not someone i'd ever consider kidding around about it with.