Joe B: I think Tyrod’s a Goner

After listening to The Bills Beat podcast from the NFL Combine, I think I’d have to agree with Joe Buscaglia sentiment that Tyrod Taylor is likely gone from the Bills roster next year.

Some people here felt that Beane and McDermott’s praise of Tyrod means he’s staying.  Joe and Matt Fairburn didn’t see it that way.  

- They feel the the positive comments are a smoke screen to make it look like the Bills are more heavily invested in Tyrod to drive up his trade value.

- He believes that the Bills might eat the $6 guarantee in dead money and trade him after FA starts because it makes his salary more attractive which could yield an a higher draft pick.  Other teams won’t have to take on the $6M if the Bills pay it.

- McDermott and Beane gave many qualifiers after many statements I.e.  Tyrod and Nate are our quarterbacks “right now” or “until otherwise.” 

- McDermott made a comment about Tyrod being able to add a “playoffs” to his resume.  Why would he need to be updating his resume?

- Finally Fairburn noted that McDermott used some of the same language in the Rapaport story.  He didn’t make the jump that McDermott was the source, but that was the impression I was left with.  Maybe it’s just me.

So despite what you might see or hear it sounds very much like he’s on shaky ground.  

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 3

my stance hasn't changed on this no matter what they've said. I think there is hardly any chance of taylor playing for the bills next year. I can only hope it doesn't draw out for a long time and they sign their vet with the first couple of days so they can let taylor and that bonus walk.

Just now, ddaryl said:

He's a break glass in case of emergency option with the added value of possibly providing us with a small return if we can trade him instead of cut him

right.... he's mos definitely their "fallback chick" right now.

35 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

I posted something similar to this yesterday. propping him up is making his value go up in a likely potential trade.

OBD can attempt too prop him up all they want. The tape does not lie. GM's aren't that naive except for maybe Whaley a former GM. 

• Like (+1) 1

i'm thinking denver takes josh allen at 5 then gives us a 4th for tyrod. ...or better yet they take 21, a 2nd and tyrod for no. 5.( if they land cousins)

hopefully they put chad kelly on the p.s. so we can add him to the stable.

yes i still want him in buffalo.

Edited by billsredneck1

5 minutes ago, Best Player Available said:

OBD can attempt too prop him up all they want. The tape does not lie. GM's aren't that naive except for maybe Whaley a former GM. 

YEs, except there is always 1 GM/Coach that think's they can FIX someone like T.T.  Always...

But, after 3 years as starter, maybe bot?

3 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Yep... but at some point he's gotta be right. What a funny example of dismissing what was said positively as a smokescreen, yet perusing individual words and phrases with a microscope claiming "he said this, it means this!" :lol:

Sure it’s all speculation but that’s part of their jobs.  They didn’t report it as facts and made it clear that it was an opinion 

Of course the odds are overwhelming Taylor is gone.

• Look at the record : The team has treated him like crap. They gutted the offense out from under him, particularly trading away Watkins for the primary purpose of getting a '18 second round pick - which in turn was for the primary purpose of stockpiling draft assets for Taylor's replacement. But this also includes Hogan dumped, Woods dumped, Gillisilee dumped, Goodwin dumped, as well as Percy & Karlos self-destructing on their own.
  • They made the imbecilic move to bench Taylor for Peterman. This was after TT had played well in three of the previous four game - including the Jets loss, where Taylor was one of the few Bills who showed-up (professionally) to play at all. This was also after the defense gave up league-worse yardage those previous four games, so bench Taylor, right? That makes sense.....
  • After the decision blew-up in their face, moronic was piled on imbecilic as McDermott refused to man-up to his mistake. Instead Taylor had to sit thru days of his coach agonizing over the starter decision everyone knew he was going to make, just as cover for his own screw-up
  • I don't include the contract stuff since business is business and the Bills have every right not to commit long-term money to Taylor. But there is still something tawdry in the team squeezing him to take a pay cut, then dumping his number-one target almost immediately after. Taylor could have found a team where he started last year, just as he'll find a team where he starts this year. The contract negotiation was a business decision for him as well : Where's the best place to play for his next deal? Obviously he didn't have all the information.

So after all this - including stuff needless, crude, stupid and insulting (and all played-out very much on the public stage) - suddenly McBeane wants to trade Taylor. So out comes the happiness, sunshine, and rainbow-colored unicorns. We're not dealing with very subtle guys here, are we? If even the Bills' sports reporters see thru this, what's the chance anyone else is fooled?

Edited by grb

It's obvious that the Bills want to find a better QB than TT, but they can't throw TT under the bus because they may not be able to find that QB this year.

I'm sure they'd love to have Keenum or Foles or even Cousins, but they're probably not willing to break the bank for those guys.

My best guess is that they will seek to trade up to grab one of the top 4 QBs in this year's draft (Darnold/Rosen/Mayfield/Allen). 

I think they'll have to give up way too much to get Darnold or Rosen.  Mayfield may not last past #5 or #6 either.  However, Allen may be attainable, possibly at #10 via Oakland or #14 via GB.

I happen to think that ten years from now QB J. Allen will be the best QB in this draft class.

I'd love to see the Bills sign Keenum, draft Allen at #10 or #14 overall, keep Peterman, and then trade Taylor for a R3 or R4 pick.  Taylor is a capable starter so a R3 or R4 pick for an NFL vet starting QB is not out of the question, esp. if you're Arizona and you miss out on the top 4 QBs in this year's draft.

51 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

- They feel the the positive comments are a smoke screen to make it look like the Bills are more heavily invested in Tyrod to drive up his trade value.

- He believes that the Bills might eat the $6 guarantee in dead money and trade him after FA starts because it makes his salary more attractive which could yield an a higher draft pick.  Other teams won’t have to take on the $6M if the Bills pay it.

- McDermott and Beane gave many qualifiers after many statements I.e.  Tyrod and Nate are our quarterbacks “right now” or “until otherwise.” 

- McDermott made a comment about Tyrod being able to add a “playoffs” to his resume.  Why would he need to be updating his resume?

Just as I think people read too much into the benching/Bills have def. moved on narrative last year and this year, I think people read too much into this.

I think the Bills do want to trade Tyrod.  To do that, they must

-Establish that they will not be cutting him

-Do their best to solidify and raise his value (lower his salary for new team is part of this)

-Not trade him in a "fire sale" of the first few days when teams are maybe going after their 1st choice.  Wait until the dust settles and those who lost out move on.

And I picked up on the same things Joe B did (you usually don't need to update your resume if you're staying in the same job)

I also think the Bills have made up their mind not to pull a Nix and move on at QB until/unless they have someone they consider to be as good or better, signed to the roster.  So if they have a replacement QB in mind, they aren't going to pull the trigger on trading TT until that deal goes through.

5 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

Denver really loved him before we signed him a few years ago. 

That was Kubiak.  This is now.

5 minutes ago, grb said:

Taylor could have found a team where he started last year, just as he'll find a team where he starts this year.

hmmmm....i don't remember a single instance of another team being interested in him last year.

btw there's 5 minutes i'll never get back from reading your post.

5 minutes ago, grb said:

• Look at the record : The team has treated him like crap. They gutted the offense out from under him, particularly trading away Watkins for the primary purpose of getting a '18 second round pick - which in turn was for the primary purpose of stockpiling draft assets for Taylor's replacement. But this also includes Hogan dumped, Woods dumped, Gillisilee dumped, Goodwin dumped, as well as Percy & Karlos self-destructing on their own.
  • They made the imbecilic move to bench Taylor for Peterman. This was after TT had played well in three of the previous four game - including the Jets loss, where Taylor was one of the few Bills who showed-up (professionally) to play at all. This was also after the defense gave up league-worse yardage those previous four games, so bench Taylor, right? That makes sense.....
  • After the decision blew-up in their face, moronic was piled on imbecilic as McDermott refused to man-up to his mistake. Instead Taylor had to sit thru days of his coach agonizing over the starter decision everyone knew he was going to make, just as cover for his own screw-up
  • I don't include the contract stuff since business is business and the Bills have every right not to commit long-term money to Taylor. But there is still something tawdry in the team squeezing him to take a pay cut, then dumping his number-one target almost immediately after. Taylor could have found a team where he started last year, just as he'll find a team where he starts this year. The contract negotiation was a business decision for him as well : Where's the best place to play for his next deal? Obviously he didn't have all the information.

So after all this - including stuff needless, crude, stupid and insulting (and all played-out very much on the public stage) - suddenly McBeane wants to trade Taylor. So out comes the happiness, sunshine, and rainbow-colored unicorns. We're not dealing with very subtle guys here, are we? If even the Bills' sports reporters see thru this, what's the chance anyone else is fooled?

This was also after going 9 / 18 and 56 yards against the Saints, in one of the worst Pro QB performances I can remember.

Oh, and 1 INTS.  and 2 SACKS.

Averaged 3 yards / attempt.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

By 2019? Definitely. By the end of the 2018 season? very likely. I am still not surprised if he is with us through training camp at the least.

he will be gone pre june 1st.

1 minute ago, Socal-805 said:

This was also after going 9 / 18 and 56 yards against the Saints, in one of the worst Pro QB performances I can remember.

Oh, and 1 INTS.  and 2 SACKS.

Averaged 3 yards / attempt.

i see you wasted 5 min. also^_^

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloRush said:

Nope... but he did cite his tweet which said the Bills would be open to keeping Tyrod next season

This is from Yolo's 28 page thread on this topic:

The #Bills won’t cut QB Tyrod Taylor without upgrading the position… and a 1 year, $10M contract is much more tradeable. (Rapapport)

2 hours ago, grb said:

Tyrod benched himself by playing worse than a high school backup QB vs the Saints 

i wish they were imbecelic vs the jags and signed Johnny Rando to play qb.  

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

After listening to The Bills Beat podcast from the NFL Combine, I think I’d have to agree with Joe Buscaglia sentiment that Tyrod Taylor is likely gone from the Bills roster next year.

Some people here felt that Beane and McDermott’s praise of Tyrod means he’s staying.  Joe and Matt Fairburn didn’t see it that way.  

- Finally Fairburn noted that McDermott used some of the same language in the Rapaport story.  He didn’t make the jump that McDermott was the source, but that was the impression I was left with.  Maybe it’s just me.

So despite what you might see or hear it sounds very much like he’s on shaky ground.  

Sweet topic, glad the TT talk didn't fall to page 2.  Ummmm,  we shall see.   There really should be 1 thread to post what other media members think is going to happen with TT....

1 minute ago, ricojes said:

Sweet topic, glad the TT talk didn't fall to page 2.  Ummmm,  we shall see.   There really should be 1 thread to post what other media members think is going to happen with TT....

<_< when I people bitching about others starting threads.  

Who is beleiving the Bills would pay 6 Million just to trade Tyrod.. Assume they do. Is a third or fourth round pick worth 6 million dollars, plus the salary of the acquired person... If they pay Tyrod that money, he is staying... I am fine with that just bring in some competition either through Free agency or the draft and let them compete.. who knows he might be more valuable by the trade deadline with an expiring contract and teams would have seen their existing QB in season..

Just now, kirkwoodus13 said:

Who is beleiving the Bills would pay 6 Million just to trade Tyrod.. Assume they do. Is a third or fourth round pick worth 6 million dollars, plus the salary of the acquired person... If they pay Tyrod that money, he is staying... I am fine with that just bring in some competition either through Free agency or the draft and let them compete.. who knows he might be more valuable by the trade deadline with an expiring contract and teams would have seen their existing QB in season..

They discuss this on the podcast.  Joe feels that the Bills might just eat that money for a draft pick.  

It’s a vaguely similar situation to what happened with Brock Osweiller getting traded to Cleveland.  

Don't confuse what anyone in an official capacity at One Bills Drives says, on the record, about anyone or anything at any time ever.

What they say publicly and what they think privately are two different things.

Anyway, yes, Tyrod is done here.